PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Hot Stove Report on ESPN, Monday at 5PM ct

WhiteSoxFan84
01-05-2009, 01:48 AM
They had the Cubs report today and it was about a minute long.
If all things hold constant, considering the amount of time they spent on the Cubs report, the White Sox report will last about 15 seconds :redneck

Thought I'd post this up so you guys have something to watch about our team during the offseason. This isn't the first or the last of many meaningless offseason reports but hey, it gives us something to talk about and over analyze! :bandance:

jabrch
01-05-2009, 08:29 AM
The Cubs one Sunday was worthless. Based on the lead in - that the Sox are in a constant state of turmoil lead by Guillen, I have low expectations for it.

hi im skot
01-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Based on the lead in - that the Sox are in a constant state of turmoil lead by Guillen, I have low expectations for it.

So it's kind of like some of the posts from here...ON TV!

soxfanatlanta
01-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Not gonna set my Tivo for that one, thanks. Now, if Steve Phillips was doing his mock press conferences like last year - I'd be all over it for a good laugh.

chaotic8512
01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
The Cubs one Sunday was worthless. Based on the lead in - that the Sox are in a constant state of turmoil lead by Guillen, I have low expectations for it.

I just happened to catch it when I flipped on the TV this morning. "Constantly on the brink of self-destruction..."

What the hell does that even mean? Do they even know what they are freakin' saying? I'm so glad that the MLB Network is around now so I can get my baseball fix somewhere else.

Thome25
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Damn, living on the east coast is rough sometimes. Most of my White Sox news/information comes from this site and.......GASP! ESPN. I hate that I'm stuck watching those clowns.

The wife won't let me have satellite so I can watch Chicago TV stations. I'm stuck watching the no talent ass-clowns on ESPN.:angry: Their constant Red Sawx and Cubs love and hatred for all things White Sox makes me sick.:puking:

"A constant state of self destruction"? Hey ESPN....go **** yourselves you jagbag asshats.

jabrch
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
So it's kind of like some of the posts from here...ON TV!

Only less informative.

hi im skot
01-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Only less informative.

Well played.

cbrownson13
01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Not gonna set my Tivo for that one, thanks. Now, if Steve Phillips was doing his mock press conferences like last year - I'd be all over it for a good laugh.

I had forgotten about that. How ridiculous.

Jurr
01-05-2009, 12:16 PM
The Sox constantly self destructed their asses to a playoff berth, which is more than one can say about the Yankees. They also self destructed their way to a postseason win, which is more than one can say about the beloved Cubs, as well.

ESPN can bite me.

areilly
01-05-2009, 02:15 PM
The Sox constantly self destructed their asses to a playoff berth, which is more than one can say about the Yankees. They also self destructed their way to a postseason win, which is more than one can say about the beloved Cubs, as well.

ESPN can bite me.

ESPN didn't say they didn't make the playoffs, nor did they say they won fewer playoff games than the Cubs.

Their best player smashed his own wrist during a game. Their best reliever fireballed his way to a half-mechanical arm. Their RF and SS scrapped in the dugout on broadcast television. Their TV man carried on as half of this city's longest-running sports media feud. Their manager went to the press and dared the general manager to fire him.

Sounds pretty self-destructive to me.

jabrch
01-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Sounds like a lot of stuff that happens with nearly every other major league franchise to me.

spiffie
01-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a lot of stuff that happens with nearly every other major league franchise to me.
Exactly. It's like no one remembers the John Tudor incident in WS 1985. I guess that's what happens when a fanbase is comprised mostly of the ignorant types that blather on talk radio.

Anytime our fanbase approves of a move, I immediately fear it. Most people seemed happy about Swisher, and that didn't work out as well as KW hoped. Everyone went crazy when McCarthy or Garcia were traded, and those worked pretty dang well. Proving as usual the best thing to do is sit back and enjoy it.

champagne030
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Exactly. It's like no one remembers the John Tudor incident in WS 1985.

What was the Tudor incident? Andujar?

Thome25
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Anytime our fanbase approves of a move, I immediately fear it. Most people seemed happy about Swisher, and that didn't work out as well as KW hoped. Everyone went crazy when McCarthy or Garcia were traded, and those worked pretty dang well. Proving as usual the best thing to do is sit back and enjoy it.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly....Here's a quote from me a couple of days ago:

I love it when KW makes the internet message boardmembers and so-called media experts scratch their heads. Because it usually means something good is about to happen for the Sox if everyone else thinks it's bad.

areilly
01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
What was the Tudor incident? Andujar?

After getting shelled in game seven, Tudor punched an electric fan and cut his pitching hand.

I was thinking about this not too long ago, and I really couldn't think of the last majority-embraced move this club has made in a looong time. The best I could come up with was the acquisition of Billy Koch, followed closely by the departure of Billy Koch.

Maybe the Sox are just better at making it all public, I don't know. ESPN sucks, yes, but it's not like the Sox haven't done a good deal of shooting themselves in the foot, either.

Corlose 15
01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I was thinking about this not too long ago, and I really couldn't think of the last majority-embraced move this club has made in a looong time. The best I could come up with was the acquisition of Billy Koch, followed closely by the departure of Billy Koch.

If a signing counts I seem to recall that re-signing Konerko was fairly well received. Outside of a few radicals that is. *cough* Frater! *cough* :whistle:

kitekrazy
01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
You all actually watch E.S.P.N.?

:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

everafan
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Their best player smashed his own wrist during a game. Their best reliever fireballed his way to a half-mechanical arm. Their RF and SS scrapped in the dugout on broadcast television. Their TV man carried on as half of this city's longest-running sports media feud. Their manager went to the press and dared the general manager to fire him.

Sorry, but ESPN can't have it both ways. Since their experts did not give the Sox a chance to even compete, they should be lauding them for "self-constructing" OR they need to admit they know absolutely nothing. And if they know nothing, who are they to tell us that the Sox self-destructed?

spiffie
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry, but ESPN can't have it both ways. Since their experts did not give the Sox a chance to even compete, they should be lauding them for "self-constructing" OR they need to admit they know absolutely nothing. And if they know nothing, who are they to tell us that the Sox self-destructed?
Exactly. The hell with NESPN (New England Sports Programming Network), the CUBune, the CUB-Times, and every other media outlet. When there's news to be learned, the Sox will put out a press release. If I have a question, WSI has people who know more than anyone outside of the White Sox organization itself.

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Exactly. The hell with NESPN (New England Sports Programming Network), the CUBune, the CUB-Times, and every other media outlet. When there's news to be learned, the Sox will put out a press release. If I have a question, WSI has people who know more than anyone outside of the White Sox organization itself.

AMEN brother!

areilly
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM

I stopped reading the Boston GloBIAS, New York Ti-METS/YANKEES and Seattle Ti-MARINERS a long time ago for this very reason.

Also Vanity FaiREDSOX and Motor TrenDETROIT.

Sam Spade
01-05-2009, 11:54 PM
One more made up word like those and I'm going to blow my ****ing head off.

whitesox901
01-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Hallelujah

nasox
01-06-2009, 12:32 AM
One more made up word like those and I'm going to blow my ****ing head off.

Boston ToNYght. Duke Vitale.

TheOldRoman
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I stopped reading the Boston GloBIAS, New York Ti-METS/YANKEES and Seattle Ti-MARINERS a long time ago for this very reason.

Also Vanity FaiREDSOX and Motor TrenDETROIT.:rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
01-06-2009, 01:06 AM
ESPN didn't say they didn't make the playoffs, nor did they say they won fewer playoff games than the Cubs.

Their best player smashed his own wrist during a game. 1. Their best reliever fireballed his way to a half-mechanical arm. 2. Their RF and SS scrapped in the dugout on broadcast television. Their TV man carried on as half of this city's longest-running sports media feud. 3. Their manager went to the press and dared the general manager to fire him.

I am assuming ESPN said this, and since I am not in America and didn't witness this myself I am going to contest this.

1. If they are talking about Jenks, then that has to be the dumbest accusation I have ever heard, he is a better pitcher now then he ever was two or three years ago throwing 100 mph.

2. Did happen, but it was resolved right away, and actually, that kind of stuff helps in the bonding of clubhouses. So, due to the sole fact that it wasn't mentioned again, I am almost sure this had no affect on the club house.

3. Um, Ozzie has been doing this for years. I am pretty sure he did it in '05 as well. Ozzie is Ozzie, and unfortunately, at least for the rest of the media, he is a good coach who knows how to handle a baseball team. However, when people don't like and don't understand how someone succeeds with a different standard, they have nothing better to do but to criticize it.

jabrch
01-06-2009, 01:50 AM
I am assuming ESPN said this, and since I am not in America and didn't witness this myself I am going to contest this.

1. If they are talking about Jenks, then that has to be the dumbest accusation I have ever heard, he is a better pitcher now then he ever was two or three years ago throwing 100 mph.

2. Did happen, but it was resolved right away, and actually, that kind of stuff helps in the bonding of clubhouses. So, due to the sole fact that it wasn't mentioned again, I am almost sure this had no affect on the club house.

3. Um, Ozzie has been doing this for years. I am pretty sure he did it in '05 as well. Ozzie is Ozzie, and unfortunately, at least for the rest of the media, he is a good coach who knows how to handle a baseball team. However, when people don't like and don't understand how someone succeeds with a different standard, they have nothing better to do but to criticize it.

Guillen - none of that was what ESPN said about it. It was what one of our fans made up to criticize the Sox.

I didn't hear the ESPN fluff piece. But that post was up before it was aired.

Konerko05
01-06-2009, 01:54 AM
So did anyone actually see the report?

WhiteSoxFan84
01-06-2009, 02:17 AM

lol good question.
but did they really say we self destruct? which year, in the past decade, has that happened?? :scratch:

we won the divison last year.
we just simply SUCKED in 2007.
we won 90 games in 2006 but had 2 better teams in our own division.
we... i cant remember 2005 for some reason :rolleyes:

espn and entertain tonight have a lot in common - they can cover the **** out of a story but they also know how to fabricate a story to sound "more appealing" to the whole country.

VivaOzzie
01-06-2009, 02:20 AM
I caught the report, it wasn't as bad as I would have thought going in. I did a double-take though when I heard them say that the Sox won 89 games the year after winning the World Series Championship. I guess that is true...true as saying the 2008 AL Central Division Champion White Sox won 57 games. While ESPN's fact-checking might not be spot on, I bet they play a mean horseshoe and toss a dangerous hand-grenade. :rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
01-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Guillen - none of that was what ESPN said about it. It was what one of our fans made up to criticize the Sox.

I didn't hear the ESPN fluff piece. But that post was up before it was aired.

In that case, I completely disagree with the fan who thought that.

Marqhead
01-06-2009, 08:31 AM

I saw it. It was fine. There was no bashing of the Sox, and Steve Philips merely talked about how the Sox are trying to get younger and more athletic, but still have proven guys like Thome and Konerko in the middle. He also said to expect big contributions from Jerry Owens and Josh Fields. It was an overall accurate summary of what has happened so far this offseason.

Red Barchetta
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
What's with all the ESPN Hate? I count on them every night during the season when I need to see the rolling SOX score at the bottom of the screen while they show the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and Cubs highlights! :D:

Frontman
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
They did say the team was on the "verge" of self-destructing. Meaning it hasn't happened, but they think its a team likely to do so. Considering:

Ozzie felt like throwing up in 2005 during the stretch; his comments that he would retire if they won. All the way up to his "throwing KW under the bus" moment of 2008?

ESPN can say they're on the verge all they want; as its a bit true. But, I'm not concerned about that. What I am concerned about is Kenny waiting just a bit *too* long to sign some FA's, as some of the names of un-signed FA's would fit onto our roster nicely. Starting with Iguchi. That was the one move made I did not like, because for a salary dump it didn't dump much.

veeter
01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Over the last two years, I've actually hated ESPN less than our very own Comcast coverage. (please excuse all spellings) Between Stuckmeyer, Gayle Fisher, Mark Schnoznowski and that little blondie, the cubbie bias has been beyond maddening. They don't even attempt to hide it anymore. **** 'em all.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
They did say the team was on the "verge" of self-destructing. Meaning it hasn't happened, but they think its a team likely to do so.

It was Ravech's speech before Steve Phillips started talking (who literally phoned in the report) about Ozzie being the face, good and bad, for the franchise.

I saw it as basic - told us stuff we already knew. While I hope we see big things from Fields, Owens, et al....have to wait and see.