PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones?

WhiteSoxFan84
01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Here we go again. :redneck

From mlbtraderumors.com ....

FRIDAY, 7:51pm: Ken Gurnick of MLB.com (http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/01/dodgers_jones_reach_agreement.html) reports that the Major League Player's Association has approved the contract agreement, which will defer Jones' remaining salary. According to an industry source, Jones will either be traded or released before the start of spring training and perhaps sometime this month.

It sounds like $12mm of Jones' $15mm will be deferred.

What do you guys think? IF he doesn't too much (whatever that is), after he gets released, would you give him a look at CF?

Boondock Saint
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Here we go again. :redneck

From mlbtraderumors.com ....

It sounds like $12mm of Jones' $15mm will be deferred.

What do you guys think? IF he doesn't too much (whatever that is), after he gets released, would you give him a look at CF?

Hell no. He's awful.

InKennyWeTrust
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Serious question. When someone is released midcontract, they still get their money, and any team could sign him to the league minimum. Does that apply to this situation?

jabrch
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Serious question. When someone is released midcontract, they still get their money, and any team could sign him to the league minimum. Does that apply to this situation?

Yes - and that's the only terms I'd take a shot at him.

Via waivers - for the veterans minimum.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM

And that is all I'm asking.

InKennyWeTrust
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM

So for 09, he can't be signed for anything above the minimum. I'm not saying he deserves anything more, but this does eliminate bidding wars.

johnnyg83
01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Only If Ivan Calderon is unavailable ...

tm1119
01-03-2009, 12:36 AM
From what I read hes not getting released, he just reworked his contract to take a serious pay cut to make it easier for the Dodgers to trade him. He was going to make something crazy like 21mil this year and now its dropped all the way to 9mil. I dont think anyone is stupid enough to turn down all of 21 million dollars that is rightfuly owed to them.

With that being said, this kinda shows me that Andruw has something to prove if he is willing to turn down a whole lot of money to get a fresh start. 9mil is still a little much but im sure it would take absolutely nothing to get him so it could be a risk worth taking. Highly doubt we take that risk though.

johnnyg83
01-03-2009, 12:43 AM
He hit .158 while playing with an NL West club ... he's not fast anymore. He'd hit 7th or 8th in a better league ... don't we have a better choice in Anderson?

johnnyg83
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
From what I read hes not getting released, he just reworked his contract to take a serious pay cut to make it easier for the Dodgers to trade him. He was going to make something crazy like 21mil this year and now its dropped all the way to 9mil. I dont think anyone is stupid enough to turn down all of 21 million dollars that is rightfuly owed to them.

With that being said, this kinda shows me that Andruw has something to prove if he is willing to turn down a whole lot of money to get a fresh start. 9mil is still a little much but im sure it would take absolutely nothing to get him so it could be a risk worth taking. Highly doubt we take that risk though.

He'll get every dime of that 21 million. It's just that tyhe Dodgers are willing to pay some of it. Don't laud this guy as a hero ... he's a bum. He's not taking a dollar less.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Only If Ivan Calderon is unavailable ...
He's not. Horrible story.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27826&highlight=calderon+murdered

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Calderon_%28baseball_player)

johnnyg83
01-03-2009, 12:53 AM
sorry i know ... irish gallows humor

guillensdisciple
01-03-2009, 02:01 AM
If he shows any glimmer of returning back to his old form, absolutely. Usually that doesn't happen, and his previous two years have shown a decline in his numbers, probably stems from the fact that opposing pitchers figured some sort of hitch in his swing ala David Ortiz when he was in Minnesota.

LoveYourSuit
01-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Hell no. He's awful.

I see the list right now:

Owens, BA, Wise, etc.

With half effort, Jones is better than all 3 of those guys combined.

For the league minimum or even picking up a million or two of that contract, it might be a good roll of the dice for the Sox.

The guy has an incentive to bust his ass this year or he will be joining the full time country club.

kittle42
01-03-2009, 05:07 AM
He's not. Horrible story.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27826&highlight=calderon+murdered

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Calderon_%28baseball_player)

Jesus - some people really are sarcasm impaired.

kittle42
01-03-2009, 05:08 AM
I see the list right now:

Owens, BA, Wise, etc.

With half effort, Jones is better than all 3 of those guys combined.

For the league minimum or even picking up a million or two of that contract, it might be a good roll of the dice for the Sox.

The guy has an incentive to bust his ass this year or he will be joining the full time country club.

I agree completely. For a million or two, I'd jump on it. Our in-house options suck.

dickallen15
01-03-2009, 06:39 AM
During the last 2 seasons, Andruw Jones has hit a combined .205. Even Juan Uribe has never done that. He struck out at a rate that would make Nick Swisher and Josh Fields jealous last year.

I don't like Jerry Owens as a player, but to say at this point Jones is better is just silliness. How bad must you be for a team to be willing to eat $22 million for you to just go away with 1 year left on your contract?

I cannot see where going to the AL is going to get his career jumpstarted. Maybe the Cubs should sign him.

jabrch
01-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Wait a sec...

He didn't take a pay cut. The MLBPA would never agree to that. What he did was agree to deferring compensation (at a reasonable interest rate) so he was more tradeable. The Dodgers will eat the very ugly part of his contract over a longer time period.

Jones didn't take a pay cut. And he still hasn't hit my weight the past two years.

That said, if he costs us no prospects, and the MLB veterans minimum, I'd take a shot. Nothing to lose.

getonbckthr
01-03-2009, 09:42 AM
During the last 2 seasons, Andruw Jones has hit a combined .205. Even Juan Uribe has never done that. He struck out at a rate that would make Nick Swisher and Josh Fields jealous last year.

I don't like Jerry Owens as a player, but to say at this point Jones is better is just silliness. How bad must you be for a team to be willing to eat $22 million for you to just go away with 1 year left on your contract?

I cannot see where going to the AL is going to get his career jumpstarted. Maybe the Cubs should sign him.
It has more to do with freeing up money for Manny.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Jones absolutely stinks. The Sox don't want him at any price.

jabrch
01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Jones absolutely stinks. The Sox don't want him at any price.

And there is absolutely no chance he can play better than he has the past two years? None at all? Not worth the league minimum?

01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
And there is absolutely no chance he can play better than he has the past two years? None at all? Not worth the league minimum?

I don't see how he could play much worse. He is now one year away from free agency (again) and he's a Boras client. It's a good bet Boras and his trainers are working with Jones and helping him get in good shape.

The LA Times says Jones' actual salary in 2009 is $5M, the rest is deferred and eaten by the Dodgers. Even at $5M I highly doubt the White Sox bite. Most teams will wait for him to be released so they can theoretically get Jones for the minimum of $400k+.

So what are the odds Scott Boras will steer his client to the White Sox? Wherever he goes it will be a one year deal so Boras can take him through free agency again. Why would the White Sox want Andruw Jones for one year when they are trying to go young? It doesn't fit.

I realize Andruw Jones is a better player than anything the White Sox currently have in CF, assuming Jones is healthy and his head is screwed on straight. But I think Boras will find this guy a deal elsewhere. History continues to show it, the Willy Taveras situation was just another example.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM

When a player has deteriorated as much as he has in the last three years, no. He would simply be taking up valuable at bats from someone who would be more productive. I don't remember a good player getting so bad so fast as Jones, but that is the case. And there is no reason to believe he is going to turn it around.

jabrch
01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't see how he could play much worse. He is now one year away from free agency (again) and he's a Boras client. It's a good bet Boras and his trainers are working with Jones and helping him get in good shape.

The LA Times says Jones' actual salary in 2009 is $5M, the rest is deferred and eaten by the Dodgers. Even at $5M I highly doubt the White Sox bite. Most teams will wait for him to be released so they can theoretically get Jones for the minimum of $400k+.

So what are the odds Scott Boras will steer his client to the White Sox? Wherever he goes it will be a one year deal so Boras can take him through free agency again. Why would the White Sox want Andruw Jones for one year when they are trying to go young? It doesn't fit.

I realize Andruw Jones is a better player than anything the White Sox currently have in CF, assuming Jones is healthy and his head is screwed on straight. But I think Boras will find this guy a deal elsewhere. History continues to show it, the Willy Taveras situation was just another example.

I wouldn't give him 5mm. I'm not sure anyone would. So lets see how desperate the Dodgers are to move him. I'm not worried about Boras - he will send his client where it is in his best interest. If he has a better chance at getting a good deal next year by having a good shot at playing CF every day for the Sox, then bless his soul. I'll go to bat with what we have, or with one of the other options out there. (Baldelli?)

There are not a ton of teams out there spending money right now.

jabrch
01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
When a player has deteriorated as much as he has in the last three years, no. He would simply be taking up valuable at bats from someone who would be more productive. I don't remember a good player getting so bad so fast as Jones, but that is the case. And there is no reason to believe he is going to turn it around.

If Jones takes ABs away from BA or JO, they aren't necesarily being wasted.

I'm not sure he will turn it around, I just don't know how you can be so sure he won't. Sure enough to not be willing to be the veterans minimum, while we have BA and JO as the alternatives?

You seem very confident that Jones is dead. Me - I'd bet the nickle at 1000 to 1 odds - or whatever those odds may be - given the alternatives are also not strong plays. If we had someone who I felt had a great chance of being the answer, it would be a totally different story.