PDA

View Full Version : Garland Pitches A Gem!

kevingrt
05-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Beatiful 0 earned runs and 3 hits. Beatiful he did well until the 9th then Foulke came in and shut it down. BEATIFUL! And Dave Willis your crazy you never take out Garland in the ninth if he has a one-hitter. Manuel managed the game great, Rowand was in on defense, and he took out Garland at the perfect time!

KruseControl04
05-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Like I said before..... I hope that Garlands game isn't overshadowed by Priors start on the other side of town. Unfortunatly, we all know it probably will be. Stupid chicago media!

WhiteSoxWinner
05-22-2002, 09:48 PM
I am not going to complain after a loss, it all worked out for the best. However, I want Garland to leave on high note, so I pull him after the eighth and let Foulke try to close it. Besides, Foulke has let inherited runners score before, so I am not sure I let Garland pitch until people are on base.

Whatever, we won. We are now tied with the Twinkies for the AL Central.

RedPinStripes
05-22-2002, 09:54 PM
I'll admit that manuel took him out at the right time and made teh right move. Great job SOX!

This comes from a Manuel hater by the way. :D:

harwar
05-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Its just what the doctor ordered.This is the Jon Garland that we've all been waiting for.He pitched great against the hottest team in baseball,in a very important win.I fully expected him to lose,but after about 7 pitches i knew something was up(not his pitches).Masterful,is only word i can think of.He hit a wall in the 4th and i thought it was over,but for the first time since i've seen him,he took a step back,thought it through and crashed right through the wall and took command.It was a BIG step for the kid.Also,K. Foulke looks to be back in form.If these guys keep pitching like this,i'm going to have to change my quote.

charlie browned
05-23-2002, 03:56 PM
ok, ok, leave his picture on the WSI wallpaper. It's a new beginning--forget about his 4.6 K's per nine innings, 1:1 BB:K ratio, etc. He's beginning to think out there--like, "If I throw the first pitch for a strike, things might get better." The condfidence he gains by shuting down the hottest team in the majors should help his control and what Jimmy Piersall says he lacks (balls).

gashwound said he thought Garland could be like Kevin Brown--I hope he's right. Their career trajectories so far track closely--Brown had only 4.7 K's per nine innings in his first three seasons, then took off. But his BB:K ratio was 0.66.

I had always thought of Garland in my weaker moments as maybe even Maddux-like, but he's not: Maddux averaged 5.4 K's per nine innings in his first three seasons, and had a BB:K ratio. of 0.6