PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi?

thomas35forever
01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker is speculating the White Sox could re-pursue Iguchi. I wouldn't mind if they did this as it would fill the hole at second. Should we give Gooch another shot?

tm1119
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Nope. He would just be a bad stop gap. I highly doubt he would do any better than either Getz or Lillibridge. Would be a pretty pointless signing. Might as well see if the young guys are worth keeping now.

october23sp
01-01-2009, 11:06 PM
In the year 2009 Iguchi will be the next Rowand.

FedEx227
01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
At this point in his career he is not a plus over Getz or Lillibridge.

01-02-2009, 12:00 AM
In the year 2009 Iguchi will be the next Rowand.

:scratch:

DaveFeelsRight
01-02-2009, 02:55 AM
At this point in his career he is not a plus over Getz or Lillibridge.exactly. and he's 34.

kittle42
01-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Nope. He would just be a bad stop gap. I highly doubt he would do any better than either Getz or Lillibridge. Would be a pretty pointless signing. Might as well see if the young guys are worth keeping now.

Completely agree. If he was any sort of an upgrade, which he very likely isn't, it would be minimal and detrimental to the development of younger players.

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Completely agree. If he was any sort of an upgrade, which he very likely isn't, it would be minimal and detrimental to the development of younger players.

Since when have you been interested in developing younger players? :tongue:

forrestg
01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
He may not have a place in our lineup but he was a very good if not best #2 hitter in 05.

soltrain21
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
He may not have a place in our lineup but he was a very good if not best #2 hitter in 05.

How is that relevant to 2009?

chaerulez
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM

While Iguchi did a decent job for the White Sox in 2005, to say he was the best #2 hitter in the entire league is a bit much.

Tragg
01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
And in 06 we sent him packing for the nephew of the Phillies GM.

Craig Grebeck
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
And in 06 we sent him packing for the nephew of the Phillies GM.
Well, that's a slanted and stupid way of evaluating the trade. First of all, Tadahito's contract included a provision that prevented him from being offered arbitration, which obviously eliminated any opportunity for compensation. Secondly, I'm sure Kenny gave him to Gillick for a bit of a discount, mainly because Garcia was damaged goods.

Edit: Also, it was 2007.

cards press box
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, that's a slanted and stupid way of evaluating the trade. First of all, Tadahito's contract included a provision that prevented him from being offered arbitration, which obviously eliminated any opportunity for compensation. Secondly, I'm sure Kenny gave him to Gillick for a bit of a discount, mainly because Garcia was damaged goods.

Edit: Also, it was 2007.

One more point about the Iguchi trade: under the Iguchi's previous contract with the Sox, the Sox had to re-sign Iguchi within a couple of weeks after the World Series or not be able to re-sign him until the following May. Thus, the Sox' trade of Iguchi to the Phillies for class A pitcher Michael Dubee (the son of the Phils' pitching coach, by the way, and not the GM's nephew) actually gave the Sox more flexibility to re-sign Iguchi in 2008, if they chose to do so (which, obviously, they did not).

I don't know why that trade still angers so many people. At the end of July 2007, all the Sox had to trade was two months of Iguchi's services. As far as I know, there was not a strong market for Iguchi at that time.

As for Dubee, he is still in the Sox farm system at Winston Salem.

soxfan43
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
One more point about the Iguchi trade: under the Iguchi's previous contract with the Sox, the Sox had to re-sign Iguchi within a couple of weeks after the World Series or not be able to re-sign him until the following May. Thus, the Sox' trade of Iguchi to the Phillies for class A pitcher Michael Dubee (the son of the Phils' pitching coach, by the way, and not the GM's nephew) actually gave the Sox more flexibility to re-sign Iguchi in 2008, if they chose to do so (which, obviously, they did not).

I don't know why that trade still angers so many people. At the end of July 2007, all the Sox had to trade was two months of Iguchi's services. As far as I know, there was not a strong market for Iguchi at that time.

As for Dubee, he is still in the Sox farm system at Winston Salem.

It angers people that don't understand the business of baseball as a whole. No shot against them, but some people just don't get the econmics, player development type of stuff.

kittle42
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Since when have you been interested in developing younger players? :tongue:

If we were discussing Orlando Hudson or Brian Roberts, I'd say to hell with the three-headed monster at 2B right now, but we're discussing a player in Iguchi who may not even be as good as the best player of the three.

Foulke You
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I see no harm in bringing in Iguchi to Spring Training perhaps on a minor league deal. The more competition at 2B, the better. Who knows, perhaps Iguchi is in great shape and could be a solid stopgap if Getz and Lillibridge aren't ready. If not, you send him packing and tell him thanks for the memories. There is nothing wrong with adding depth, people. Especially inexpensive veteran depth.

kittle42
01-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I think there is a large continent of people here who would give every member of the 2005 team an invite to spring training every year until they retired.

Foulke You
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I think there is a large continent of people here who would give every member of the 2005 team an invite to spring training every year until they retired.
There are also a contingent of people here who automatically think any veteran ballplayer that isn't a superstar has no value to a team and is stunting the growth of all of our young future all stars. The fact that Iguchi was from the 2005 team holds no sway over my opinion on this. If the player was Mark Grudzielanek or David Eckstein that were getting a Spring Training invite to challenge Getz/Lillibridge for the 2B job, my opinion would be the same as if we brought in Iguchi. Veteran depth in Spring Training = good.

Tragg
01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, that's a slanted and stupid way of evaluating the trade.
Perhaps, but I wasn't evaluating a trade - I was evaluating Iguchi and the Sox' position on Iguchi. The fact is that we got nothing for Iguchi, nuance it any way you like.

chisox616
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
:scratch:

He means instead of everyone wanting Rowand back, it'll be Iguchi instead. I don't see that happening. #33 forever. ...not Vazquez

As for getting Iguchi back, I'd rather see Lillibridge get a chance to develop. He has leadoff potential, right?

Craig Grebeck
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Perhaps, but I wasn't evaluating a trade - I was evaluating Iguchi and the Sox' position on Iguchi. The fact is that we got nothing for Iguchi, nuance it any way you like.
There's no nuance. There was no reason for us to expect anything significant in return for Iguchi, given the situation.

spawn
01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
You don't know what you're talking about.

champagne030
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd rather see Lillibridge get a chance to develop. He has leadoff potential, right?

Maybe for the Barons. He's a 25 year old that has about a .310 OBP above AA.

october23sp
01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
He means instead of everyone wanting Rowand back, it'll be Iguchi instead. I don't see that happening. #33 forever. ...not Vazquez

As for getting Iguchi back, I'd rather see Lillibridge get a chance to develop. He has leadoff potential, right?

Yeah it was a joke but I don't think ... will agree with anything I say.

soxfanreggie
01-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd invite them all back, every year. Doesn't mean I would be inviting them to play. I wouldn't mind having them there to sign autographs, glad-hand with the fans, etc.

RedPinStripes
01-03-2009, 06:16 PM
No thanks. Invite him back in 7 years for a pre-game ceromony with the rest of the 05 team. He won't do much good in 09.

The Twins just plug guys in every year. It's time we start doing that.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2009, 08:24 PM
The Twins can plug in talent because they actually have good scouting, good drafting and good minor league teaching.

The Sox right now have none of those three areas covered and haven't for a decade.

Lip

Daver
01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
The Twins can plug in talent because they actually have good scouting, good drafting and good minor league teaching.

The Sox right now have none of those three areas covered and haven't for a decade.

Lip

It's been a lot longer than a decade.

RedPinStripes
01-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Lip

That's what's so frustrating about the Sox. These guy the Twins bring up are not superstars. A lot of them are just real smart scrappy guys. Who was the last good position player we developed Maggs or Lee?

ChicagoHoosier
01-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Many great points about the economics of baseball in this thread, and we can analyze how we let him go all we want. The topic of the thread is a good one, and that is whether he'd help the team this year. I think the above point sums it up perfectly. Would he really be THAT much of an upgrade? Fielding, probably about even since he's older. Batting, maybe one hit more every couple games. Experience - of course, but I'd rather see what our younger guys have, especially Getz as an everyday guy and see if he can do it.

Chez
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
That's what's so frustrating about the Sox. These guy the Twins bring up are not superstars. A lot of them are just real smart scrappy guys. Who was the last good position player we developed Maggs or Lee?

Crede and Rowand came after Mags and CLee.

BainesHOF
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Iguchi is done. Move on.

Frater Perdurabo
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
If the Sox had a gaping hole at 2B, and no youngsters seemingly ready to play the position, then I would consider Iguchi. But the Sox have multiple young players who can compete for the job, so Iguchi would be superfluous. But if we were talking about Roberto Alomar... :tongue:

guillensdisciple
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I can't and won't take this thread seriously. Why would you take a below average second basemen instead of young players with an unknown ceiling?

MarkZ35
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
It doesn't matter anymore. Reports say he is going back to Japan to play for the Chiba Lotte Marines. I guess no takers in MLB. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20090105j1.html

Jim Shorts
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
It doesn't matter anymore. Reports say he is going back to Japan to play for the Chiba Lotte Marines. I guess no takers in MLB. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20090105j1.html

Well then, allow me to join the party late and say thanks for everything, Gooch. I'll remember that play where you laid out parallel about 3.5 inches above the ground and got your guy at first for many years.

wsf4l
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I will remember Tad for hitting the homer off fat ass Wells... I was going nuts

GlassSox
01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Well then, allow me to join the party late and say thanks for everything, Gooch. I'll remember that play where you laid out parallel about 3.5 inches above the ground and got your guy at first for many years.

Amen, I'll never forget seeing that play. Good luck going home Gooch.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-07-2009, 12:49 AM
I will be forever grateful to Tadahito Iguchi, and not just for the magical 2005 season. It was a Google search of his name back in January of 2005 that first brought me to WSI!

nug0hs
01-07-2009, 07:11 PM

The Chiba Lotte Mariners offered him a 3yr $6.5 mil contract today, per Rotoworld/Kyodo News:

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstPhotos/index.php?photoid=32149

michned
01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Good old Gooch. He certainly made his four seasons in MLB count. :thumbsup:

4 points
01-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker is speculating the White Sox could re-pursue Iguchi. I wouldn't mind if they did this as it would fill the hole at second. Should we give Gooch another shot?

Why not, we can always use another player intro song " Rock and roll Iguchi koo".:tiphat::tiphat: