PDA

View Full Version : Scott Merkin's new White Sox article

01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm hesitant to start this thread because this topic has been rehashed more than once, but there's a new article by Scott Merkin on the official White Sox site. Here's the link:

http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081221&content_id=3724847&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

In the article, Merkin says expect KW to pursue an affordable veteran to plug into the starting rotation, and a veteran outfielder, also affordable.

Not that Merkin is the be-all end-all of what the White Sox will do in the offseason, but it is interesting he predicts an outfield addition. Predicting a starting pitching addition is old news.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Freddy Garcia and Darin Erstad :redneck

Put Freddy's name in half and half because I don't really know if I want him or not.

drewcifer
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
What veteran for the OF? Cameron? I think he's in an option year and the Brewers have to make a decision.... Can't think of anyone else that would be available/fit.

rdivaldi
01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
What veteran for the OF? Cameron? I think he's in an option year and the Brewers have to make a decision.... Can't think of anyone else that would be available/fit.

Knowing KW, I would imagine that both Hairston and Baldelli are on his radar screen.

drewcifer
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Knowing KW, I would imagine that both Hairston and Baldelli are on his radar screen.

Baldelli is in an option year too, yes?

rdivaldi
01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Baldelli is in an option year too, yes?

No, he's an unrestricted FA this year.

Vernam
01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I liked the part about how "the court of public opinion can't influence" KW. It might drive some Sox fans crazy, but look at the alternatives where guys like Angelo and Hendry try to placate their fans by, respectively, rewarding washed-up veterans with huge contracts or throwing money at overrated free agents.

Vernam

jabrch
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I liked the part about how "the court of public opinion can't influence" KW.

I'm glad management has the stones to do what they think is right - not what Joe the Plumber wants. I'll put my money on KW to do the right thing.

DrCrawdad
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Baldelli is such a question mark with his health that to me he's not worth it. Hairston is a likely option for the Sox. In addition to Hairston's versatility, I'm certain he'd love to play for the Sox. And FWIW, his father is still in the Sox minor league organization. And Reinsdorf attended Hairston's wedding.

LoveYourSuit
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I liked the part about how "the court of public opinion can't influence" KW. It might drive some Sox fans crazy, but look at the alternatives where guys like Angelo and Hendry try to placate their fans by, respectively, rewarding washed-up veterans with huge contracts or throwing money at overrated free agents.

Vernam

Like Paul Konerko, the biggest handcuff on our franchise today?

Right.

DumpJerry
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Baldelli is such a question mark with his health that to me he's not worth it. Hairston is a likely option for the Sox. In addition to Hairston's versatility, I'm certain he'd love to play for the Sox. And FWIW, his father is still in the Sox minor league organization. And Reinsdorf attended Hairston's wedding.
Well, that sells it. The only problem I see is that he got tossed by the ump during Burls' No-no.:rolleyes:

rdivaldi
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Right.

Konerko was neither washed up nor old when given that contract. It's also reasonable to expect a rebound year in 2009 considering his history.

rdivaldi
01-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Baldelli is such a question mark with his health that to me he's not worth it.

I agree, but KW does have a fascination with him.

LoveYourSuit
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Konerko was neither washed up nor old when given that contract. It's also reasonable to expect a rebound year in 2009 considering his history.

Well, the original poster claims that Hendry and Angelo give out contracts to players who are old and washed up, but I think that's a false claim. Maybe some guys turn old and washed up during the contract like it has now happenedd with Paul Konerko, but who can blame the GM for that. It happens everywhere and in every sport.

One can say Kenny is notorious for trading for wahsed up players: Griffey, Everett, the Alomars, just to name a few.

drewcifer
01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
One can say Kenny is notorious for trading for wahsed up players: Griffey, Everett, the Alomars, just to name a few.

Loiza, El Duque, Contreras, Quentin... dumbass, KW....

*Edit - Add Herm and the other NYY pitcher... Politte.

rdivaldi
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Maybe some guys turn old and washed up during the contract like it has now happenedd with Paul Konerko, but who can blame the GM for that.

Konerko is 32, he's not old in terms of baseball age. Everyone's favorite grinder, Rowand, is 31. I think we can safely say that 2008 for PK has just as much of a chance as being a carbon copy of 2003 as anything else.

Possibly, but those guys were all acquired for late season playoff pushes, quite different than signing them in January for a whole season.

oeo
01-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Konerko is 32, he's not old in terms of baseball age. Everyone's favorite grinder, Rowand, is 31. I think we can safely say that 2008 for PK has just as much of a chance as being a carbon copy of 2003 as anything else.

Possibly, but those guys were all acquired for late season playoff pushes, quite different than signing them in January for a whole season.

It's really not worth it; the guy is a broken record.

Lillian
01-02-2009, 05:57 AM
I posted this in the middle of November:

¨Ideally, they could fill that hole with a Centerfielder. I don't know who is available, or what it would take to get one. A guy like Randy Winn might be a viable option. He will make $8.25M in the final year of his three year deal with the Giants. The Sox may only need him for one year, and then let him walk in exchange for the draft picks. How much could the Giants want for an older player in the last year of his contract, at $8.25M?
Jordan Danks could be ready by 2010.¨

It still makes sense to me. Let him lead off and play center for one year.
The Giants have a power void which Dye would fill, and they have Rowand to play CF. If they would give up a decent starting pitcher along with Winn, it might solve both problems.
They do have 6 starters.
The Sox could throw someone else in to make it a two for two deal.

DumpJerry
01-02-2009, 06:35 AM
I, too, hate how he is the only GM in MLB who does this.....

spawn
01-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Word.

kittle42
01-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Yes, but what a fun act it is.

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2009, 06:55 AM
I posted this in the middle of November:

¨Ideally, they could fill that hole with a Centerfielder. I don't know who is available, or what it would take to get one. A guy like Randy Winn might be a viable option. He will make $8.25M in the final year of his three year deal with the Giants. The Sox may only need him for one year, and then let him walk in exchange for the draft picks. How much could the Giants want for an older player in the last year of his contract, at $8.25M?
Jordan Danks could be ready by 2010.¨

It still makes sense to me. Let him lead off and play center for one year.
The Giants have a power void which Dye would fill, and they have Rowand to play CF. If they would give up a decent starting pitcher along with Winn, it might solve both problems.
They do have 6 starters.
The Sox could throw someone else in to make it a two for two deal.

I'd rather deal a certain 1B for Figgins, but I'd be OK with dealing Dye and someone else for Winn and a pitcher.

His 162-game career average totals are .288 AVG, .347 OBP, 36 doubles, 22 steals, 12 homers. Given his age and a season at the Cell, I'd expect his power numbers to increase and his stolen base totals to decrease, but he would still be a viable leadoff hitter and CF.

Here's the catch: We've created a hole in RF to fill one in CF. Assume Quentin moves to RF. So now who plays LF? Owens? Here's the lineup:

CF Winn, 2B Getz, RF Quentin, DH Thome, 1B Paulie, C AJ, SS Alexei, 3B Fields, LF Owens

Craig Grebeck
01-02-2009, 07:01 AM
CF Winn, 2B Getz, RF Quentin, DH Thome, 1B Paulie, C AJ, SS Alexei, 3B Fields, LF Owens
I'd just give Pat Burrell a 1-2 year deal and stick him in LF.

Jurr
01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I am actually very excited about the unknown element of the roster. It'll be fun to watch some young guys come in and compete. It's actually very good for a clubhouse to infuse youthful enthusiasm to a roster of veterans. The Braves did it successfully for YEARS.

When you have the same old group of players year in and year out, it gets old. Watching youngsters grow up before your eyes in meaningful situations is a treat, and I can't wait to see the this crop grow up.

Madscout
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I am actually very excited about the unknown element of the roster. It'll be fun to watch some young guys come in and compete. It's actually very good for a clubhouse to infuse youthful enthusiasm to a roster of veterans. The Braves did it successfully for YEARS.

When you have the same old group of players year in and year out, it gets old. Watching youngsters grow up before your eyes in meaningful situations is a treat, and I can't wait to see the this crop grow up.
They could turn out like the braves, or the could turn out like the Pirates. I hope it is like the former in the mid-90's. How's Pittsburgh treating you?

Lillian
01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd rather deal a certain 1B for Figgins, but I'd be OK with dealing Dye and someone else for Winn and a pitcher.

His 162-game career average totals are .288 AVG, .347 OBP, 36 doubles, 22 steals, 12 homers. Given his age and a season at the Cell, I'd expect his power numbers to increase and his stolen base totals to decrease, but he would still be a viable leadoff hitter and CF.

Here's the catch: We've created a hole in RF to fill one in CF. Assume Quentin moves to RF. So now who plays LF? Owens? Here's the lineup:

If you could fill the two holes at lead off and starting pitcher, then why not sign Abreu to play left? The Sox need one more power bat, especially if Thome gets injured.

LoveYourSuit
01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I, too, hate how he is the only GM in MLB who does this.....

He's not the only one. they all do it and I don't see a problem with it as long is it helps the team win right there and then.

LoveYourSuit
01-02-2009, 09:43 AM

And you dogging posters on a daily basis is becoming a broken record too.

Read and move on.

Or maybe you have this fatal attraction for me that goes beyond White Sox baseball, send me a PM if that's the case.

russ99
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Actualy I'm on the fence with how Paul will do next year. We have a pretty good idea based on past performance: streaky power bat, solid defense, slow runner.

He is only going to be 33 on Opening Day, so I don't think the old tag fits, but with the frequency of injuries lately, you have to wonder if he's breaking down a bit.

Bill James is projecting .267, 30, 75 with an OPS of .849, and that would be a pretty nice bounceback - which would also increase his trade value at the deadline or after the season. Btw: I'd love to see a Figgins deal, but I doubt the Angels want to let him go.

But with the injury concerns, I'd go a bit lower on average and homers. I'd also love to see a turnaround on Paul with his overall attitude and how he deals with Ozzie, since I think that's a big part of his drop-off last year and also why the fans have soured on him a bit.

LoveYourSuit
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Actualy I'm on the fence with how Paul will do next year. We have a pretty good idea based on past performance: streaky power bat, solid defense, slow runner.

He is only going to be 33 on Opening Day, so I don't think the old tag fits, but with the frequency of injuries lately, you have to wonder if he's breaking down a bit.

Bill James is projecting .267, 30, 75 with an OPS of .849, and that would be a pretty nice bounceback - which would also increase his trade value at the deadline or after the season. Btw: I'd love to see a Figgins deal, but I doubt the Angels want to let him go.

But with the injury concerns, I'd go a bit lower on average and homers. I'd also love to see a turnaround on Paul with his overall attitude and how he deals with Ozzie, since I think that's a big part of his drop-off last year and also why the fans have soured on him a bit.

I also see Paulie having a good bounce back next season. If that's the case, getting Figgins only in return is not a fair deal for the Sox (if he can post numbers with an OPS as shown above). But based on this past performance, Figgins would be an equal trade. That's what sucks about selling low, same way we sold low on Swisher.

DumpJerry
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I also see Paulie having a good bounce back next season. If that's the case, getting Figgins only in return is not a fair deal for the Sox (if he can post numbers with an OPS as shown above). But based on this past performance, Figgins would be an equal trade. That's what sucks about selling low, same way we sold low on Swisher.
We sold low on Swisher? How much upside does he have given his below the Mendoza Line second hald performance and his pouting for not getting playing time on a playoff-contenting baseball team when he was an automatic strikeout?

If we were the Royals, then we would have the luxury of letting him get his act together in 2009. We're not the Royals. We're a team that contends for the division title. We can't afford to have crap like that sitting around and we were lucky to get what we did for him.

PeoriaSoxFan
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
The lack of Sox news is boring the hell out of me. It is also concerning in that I hope we go to camp with something more than we have now. With that said, did we really lose much in dealing Swisher and Javier? Although, he is not the most beloved Sox player of all time, Cabrerra does leave a whole, albeit at 2nd now. Also, Crede was a no-show in the 2nd half, but he did carry the Sox for a bit in the 1st half. I can live with the theory that we can fill 2nd and 3rd internally, but the OF hole has to be filled. Also, I think a SP addition and maybe another bullpen arm are a must.

I feel that something will happen over the next two weeks, prior to Soxfest.

russ99
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
We sold low on Swisher? How much upside does he have given his below the Mendoza Line second hald performance and his pouting for not getting playing time on a playoff-contenting baseball team when he was an automatic strikeout?

If we were the Royals, then we would have the luxury of letting him get his act together in 2009. We're not the Royals. We're a team that contends for the division title. We can't afford to have crap like that sitting around and we were lucky to get what we did for him.

Let's give the Swisher deal a half season before judging it.

I think the "sold low" idea is based more on Swisher's potential and what we gave up for him than on actual performance last year.

I think Swish will bounce back, but it remains to be seen if we got equal value. We'll have to see how Marquez (could be a decent backend starter), Nunez (could be the steal of this deal) and Betemit (highly touted prospect who hasn't put it together) work out with the Sox.

So it could be a risky sell-low deal, a bust, or a great deal. We'll see...

russ99
01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I feel that something will happen over the next two weeks, prior to Soxfest.

I hope so, otherwise Kenny may need chicken wire for his annual fan address... :D:

Craig Grebeck
01-02-2009, 11:27 AM

I don't even know what you're arguing. You're basing Swisher's worth on half a season (your phrasing, not mine). I, for one, would rather trust his three years prior to 2008 rather than solely 2008. We gave up a lot to get him, and then shipped him out (with an intriguing bullpen arm, mind you) for an expendable third baseman and a pitcher who became worse with every jump in the minors.

LoveYourSuit
01-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Don't get me wrong, Swisher sucked bad last year. Very bad. But that was his worst year ever and at a great hitter's park compared to where he came from. Could it have been and odd year for him full of instability by playing all over the place and leading off and then not leading off? Maybe. I just don't think Swisher was as bad as he was last year. So for his age and past potential, I think we kind of sold low on him.

LoveYourSuit
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't even know what you're arguing. You're basing Swisher's worth on half a season (your phrasing, not mine). I, for one, would rather trust his three years prior to 2008 rather than solely 2008. We gave up a lot to get him, and then shipped him out (with an intriguing bullpen arm, mind you) for an expendable third baseman and a pitcher who became worse with every jump in the minors.

I think we picked the wrong year to 1. trade for Swisher and then 2. trade him off. We bought high and sold low. That was an ugly scenario for us. I guess the guy was that big of an ass hat that Ozzie couldn't take him for one more season in that clubhouse.

Jurr
01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
They could turn out like the braves, or the could turn out like the Pirates. I hope it is like the former in the mid-90's. How's Pittsburgh treating you?
Loving it, bro. Work is great, summers are awesome, and the great people make the winters at least bearable.

Sox fans won't put up with a Pirates-esque fiasco. Jerry, Kenny, and the rest know this. If these kids don't work out, they'll be quickly shipped down to AAA and replaced with someone closer to adequate. The Sox have just the right amount of strong, established players to make the infusion of youth bearable from a standings perspective. Now, if the vets decide to suck it up, then we're in trouble.

Konerko05
01-02-2009, 06:10 PM

That is not a very good defensive outfield. If the Sox are acquiring Winn, why is Owens in LF?

Why not leave Quentin in LF, Anderson in CF, and Winn in RF?

Anderson is a much better CF than Winn. Winn played 133 games in RF last year. I'd also rather see Quentin grow in LF.

Owens is good at running. That's what his role should be.

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
That is not a very good defensive outfield. If the Sox are acquiring Winn, why is Owens in LF?

Why not leave Quentin in LF, Anderson in CF, and Winn in RF?

Anderson is a much better CF than Winn. Winn played 133 games in RF last year. I'd also rather see Quentin grow in LF.

Owens is good at running. That's what his role should be.

Lillian's post specifically referred to acquiring Winn to lead off and play CF, so that's what I was addressing. I would put Winn in RF, too, and start BA in CF, but we all know how much Ozzie likes BA.

jabrch
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
but we all know how much Ozzie likes BA.

No we don't.

JB98
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Please, please, no more BA arguments. :praying:

Vernam
01-03-2009, 01:10 AM

Right.Come on, that is classic second guessing, LYS. At the time, did you really think the Sox should've let Konerko walk? Do you really think the only reason he was signed was due to fan pressure?

This is also known as "wanting it both ways." You lead the chorus of criticism that the Sox don't throw money around, then cite a rare example when they arguably did throw money around recklessly as evidence of . . . what? :bs:

Vernam

LoveYourSuit
01-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Come on, that is classic second guessing, LYS. At the time, did you really think the Sox should've let Konerko walk? Do you really think the only reason he was signed was due to fan pressure?

This is also known as "wanting it both ways." You lead the chorus of criticism that the Sox don't throw money around, then cite a rare example when they arguably did throw money around recklessly as evidence of . . . what? :bs:

Vernam

No BS here.

Once again, read your original post:

Vernam

My point is that ALL GMs make mistakes. All of them, name any sport. You can't just dump on Hendry or Angelo. Kenny makes his share of questionable decisions when it comes to veterans too. Some work for the best and others just flop. It's part of the gig.

And no question both the Konerko signing and the Buehrle signing were PR moves by the Sox to please the fans. The Sox went way out of their norm of operating their business to give those guys those contracts. Let's recall the whole PK and JR exchange when he turned over the baseball of the final out of the WS, how awkward would it had been if the Sox would not have matched the Angels offer for PK to stay here. It would have been a huge PR mess. Buehrle, the same thing. The Sox never offered that kind of a contract to a pitcher, but PR preassure forced their hand at the end.

Frater Perdurabo
01-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Come on, that is classic second guessing, LYS. At the time, did you really think the Sox should've let Konerko walk? Do you really think the only reason he was signed was due to fan pressure?

JB would like a Paulie argument instead. :tongue:

russ99
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Yeah, no kidding, especially since the last 2 posts (and many others) are based on:

1) He's better than "player X"
2) Ozzie hates him

:rolleyes:

Vernam
01-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Once again, read your original post:

My point is that ALL GMs make mistakes. All of them, name any sport. You can't just dump on Hendry or Angelo.No, you should read my post. Where did I say KW has never made a mistake? I compared him favorably to Hendry and Angelo. Do you seriously think either of them is on a par with our GM?

It's just not persuasive when you isolate a couple of signings (Konerko and Buehrle) among Kenny's hundreds of personnel decisions. Especially because neither of those moves falls into the categories of abject failure or blatant PR. Keep spinning all you want, I'm not buying it, and I don't think many others are, either.

Vernam

mzh
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Honestly, when you look at Konerko's stats in September of this year, he was already showing clear signs of a rebound, in August and September combined, he hit .297/12/27. If he can keep cranking that out, he'll be back to his 05/06 form.

In my opinion, at this point in the offseason, after the moves KW has already made, it seems that if you were to trade PK or JD, you would have to get a right fielder or a first baseman directly from that trade, as doing anything else would just be opening up more holes by closing other ones.

BTW, I heard a rumour from a friend, Floyd for Brian Roberts. I don't know where he heard it from, but can anyone back this up, 'cause I don't know if it's for real.

jcw218
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Honestly, when you look at Konerko's stats in September of this year, he was already showing clear signs of a rebound, in August and September combined, he hit .297/12/27. If he can keep cranking that out, he'll be back to his 05/06 form.

In my opinion, at this point in the offseason, after the moves KW has already made, it seems that if you were to trade PK or JD, you would have to get a right fielder or a first baseman directly from that trade, as doing anything else would just be opening up more holes by closing other ones.

BTW, I heard a rumour from a friend, Floyd for Brian Roberts. I don't know where he heard it from, but can anyone back this up, 'cause I don't know if it's for real.

There's a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108629) in What's The Score about this subject.

jcw218
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Who is this bullpen arm that you speak of? As I recall, the Sox sent Nick Swisher to the Yankees for Wilson Betemit, Jeff Marquez and Jhonny Nunez.

If you're referring to Boone Logan as that bullpen arm, he went with Javier Vazques to Atlanta.

champagne030
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Who is this bullpen arm that you speak of? As I recall, the Sox sent Nick Swisher to the Yankees for Wilson Betemit, Jeff Marquez and Jhonny Nunez.

If you're referring to Boone Logan as that bullpen arm, he went with Javier Vazques to Atlanta.
Kanekoa Texeira

jcw218
01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Kanekoa Texeira

Thanks. Forgot about the minor league player

Brian26
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Konerko was arguably the Sox most dangerous hitter in September. I'm hoping KW keeps PK and sends Dye out if it has to happen.

guillensdisciple
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Konerko was arguably the Sox most dangerous hitter in September. I'm hoping KW keeps PK and sends Dye out if it has to happen.

So based off of one month of performance, you are saying that it would be smarter to throw away Dye, who has been better then Konerko by a LONG shot in the previous three years, then it would be Konerko.

I don't know if that is very logical, so I am going to stick with my original thought of Konerko getting out of here.

01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
So based off of one month of performance, you are saying that it would be smarter to throw away Dye, who has been better then Konerko by a LONG shot in the previous three years, then it would be Konerko.

I don't know if that is very logical, so I am going to stick with my original thought of Konerko getting out of here.

Who's throwing anyone away?? Dye has way more trade value than Konerko so if either were to go, Dye is the logical choice and KW wouldn't "throw him away" :rolleyes::

guillensdisciple
01-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Who's throwing anyone away?? Dye has way more trade value than Konerko so if either were to go, Dye is the logical choice and KW wouldn't "throw him away" :rolleyes::

Homer Bailey is your return for Dye. Perhaps that could pan out to be beneficial, but I am pretty sure Konerko could get you something of that Ilk on the market as well.
Plus the above writer never stated in what context he was writing his statement. All he said was that he would rather trade Dye over Konerko because Konerko performed well in his last two months.
If he MEANT to say what you just wrote, then I will agree, because we probably do get more value for Dye, but since he never put anything into proper context, I am just going to ask you to refrain from using that eye rolling thingy like you had any clue of my position or anyone's.

jabrch
01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Homer Bailey is your return for Dye.

Has Dye been traded straight up for Bailey yet? No? Oh - then I guess that's not your return for Dye. That's a rumor that someone started that has no legs at this point in time.

IF KW trades JD for just Homer Bailey, I'd be extremely surprised. But until he does, I'm going to assume that this was never the discussion - a 1 for 1 straight up deal.