PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Trade DeRosa To Tribe; Back in on Peavy?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Mark DeRosa to the Indians for 3 minor league pitchers.
Bruce Levine says this is a sign that the Cubs are talking to the Padres about Jake Peavy.... again.

George Ofman was guessing that the Aaron Miles deal suggested that Ronny Cedeno would be getting dealt soon (as Miles would replace Cedeno). That makes sense now as we can assume that the 3 pitchers from Cleveland were liked by the Padres.

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Levine only wishes. He however, did say, they couldn't get Peavy until the ownership thing was settled. I think this is to clear room for a massive Bradley contract. Good players are not coming cheap this off-season. They're going to regret trading DeRosa.

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Bruce Levine says this is a sign that the Cubs are talking to the Padres about Jake Peavy.... again.

George Ofman was guessing that the Aaron Miles deal suggested that Ronny Cedeno would be getting dealt soon (as Miles would replace Cedeno). That makes sense now as we can assume that the 3 pitchers from Cleveland were liked by the Padres.Have you looked at those guys' stats? Not very good.

Bucky F. Dent
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
For minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Gaub

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802342

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Levine only wishes. He however, did say, they couldn't get Peavy until the ownership thing was settled. I think this is to clear room for a massive Bradley contract. Good players are not coming cheap this off-season. They're going to regret trading DeRosa.

ESPN's Buster Olney said the samething.

I also agree with you on the Milton Bradley signing. Levine labeled that as a "done deal". I haven't seen anything else about it so I won't say it's a done deal, but it sounds like it will be shortly.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Have you looked at those guys' stats? Not very good.

The minor leaguers or Miles and Cedeno?

whitesox901
12-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Says DeRose might likely move to third, also I liked bigdwisky's comment at the bottom lol

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:14 PM
The minor leaguers or Miles and Cedeno?The three arms from Cleveland. They look like avg. prospects to me. Seems like a salary dump, same as Marquis.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
The three arms from Cleveland. They look like avg. prospects to me. Seems like a salary dump, same as Marquis.

Would you be surprised if the Padres want them though? They wanted Garrett Olsen. That organization is in such a sad state right now.

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Would you be surprised if the Padres want them though? They wanted Garrett Olsen. That organization is in such a sad state right now.The Padres wanted Sean Marshall, but gutless Jim wouldn't do it. I truly believe the Peavy ship has sailed.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
The Padres wanted Sean Marshall, but gutless Jim wouldn't do it. I truly believe the Peavy ship has sailed.

I know this has no basis and it's all my brain at work, but would you have offered the Padres Danks or Floyd and 2-3 of our top prospects for Peavy?

SoxGirl4Life
12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I know this has no basis and it's all my brain at work, but would you have offered the Padres Danks or Floyd and 2-3 of our top prospects for Peavy?
No

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I know this has no basis and it's all my brain at work, but would you have offered the Padres Danks or Floyd and 2-3 of our top prospects for Peavy?Are you comparing Danks and Floyd to Marshall?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Are you comparing Danks and Floyd to Marshall?

No, not at all. I'm just wondering if you would've made that deal? I like Danks and Floyd but a chance to acquire Jake Peavy... even if his ERA were to go up a half or 3/4s of a run pitching half the season at USCF, he'd still be solid.

No

Really? Even if it was Floyd or Danks along with Getz, Broadway, and maybe Clayton Richard?

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
No, not at all. I'm just wondering if you would've made that deal? I like Danks and Floyd but a chance to acquire Jake Peavy... even if his ERA were to go up a half or 3/4s of a run pitching half the season at USCF, he'd still be solid.

Really? Even if it was Floyd or Danks along with Getz, Broadway, and maybe Clayton Richard?Not Danks or Floyd, but a Marshall equivalent and 2-3 prospects, I'd do in a heartbeat for Peavy. A Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Richard rotation would be very nice.

JermaineDye05
12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
The Padres wanted Sean Marshall, but gutless Jim wouldn't do it. I truly believe the Peavy ship has sailed.

Agreed.

I said this back in November, Peavy will be a Padre come spring training. After that it's anyones guess.

WhiteSox1989
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
I like DeRosa. If I were a Cubs fan, I wouldn't be too upset with this trade though.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Not Danks or Floyd, but a Marshall equivalent and 2-3 prospects, I'd do in a heartbeat for Peavy. A Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Richard rotation would be very nice.

Wouldn't Peavy/Buehrle/Danks or Floyd/Whoever/Whoever look better than Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Richard/Whoever?

veeter
12-31-2008, 02:43 PM
[quote=WhiteSoxFan84;2130950]Wouldn't Peavy/Buehrle/Danks or Floyd/Whoever/Whoever look better than Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Richard/Whoever?[/quote ]Having to fill one starting spot is a bad thing. Having to fill two, the season is over before it starts. I don't care if you have Peavy or not.

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not too sure on the details, but it sounds like Miles is more or less going to be replacing DeRosa, in which case it is an awful trade for the Cubs. I thought DeRosa was a good player, but we'll see how he does in the big boys' league.

kittle42
12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not too sure on the details, but it sounds like Miles is more or less going to be replacing DeRosa, in which case it is an awful trade for the Cubs. I thought DeRosa was a good player, but we'll see how he does in the big boys' league.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/derosma01.shtml

Like when he was with Texas? My guess is comparable to that.

jamokes
12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
The cub will miss DeRosa as he is a good sub, coming off the bench. Now Mark and Woody can hang together. It's a salary dump.

Dan Mega
12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
I like DeRosa. If I were a Cubs fan, I wouldn't be too upset with this trade though.

Absolutely not. Selling high is never a bad thing.

jabrch
12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Is there any way the Cubs do this (trade Marquis for Viz, sign Miles, trade Derosa to the Pads for lower tier prospects) unless one of those guys is a key to a Peavy deal? If this is just to free up money for Milton Bradley, they are silly.

thedudeabides
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Don't know much about the prospects the tribe gave up. Anyone have any info?

Don't like to see Derosa in the division, except for his defense, which is acceptable if he plays third.

Have to think the Cubs are up to something else.

EndemicSox
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Pretty meh overall...DeRosa is a nice utility player, but Fontenot has some un-tapped upside as well. Plus the Cubs seem to be stacked up the middle...

jabrch
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Plus the Cubs seem to be stacked up the middle...

HUH?

Stacked with what? There's not an impact player in their organization up the middle. Lots of warm bodies...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
HUH?

Stacked with what? There's not an impact player in their organization up the middle. Lots of warm bodies...

Yeh. The Cubs themselves don't even like Theroit at SS.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Miles may start at 2B over Mike Fontenot.

Konerko05
12-31-2008, 04:38 PM

Really? Even if it was Floyd or Danks along with Getz, Broadway, and maybe Clayton Richard?

Floyd for Peavy? Maybe

Danks for Peavy? No way in hell.

Regarding the DeRosa trade:

Fontenot will take over for DeRosa at 2B. Fontenot looks like he will be a damn good hitter so they will not be losing much offense. Aaron Miles will take on the utility role. If this is a salary dump to acquire a player like Milton Bradley, the Cubs just got a lot better.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Floyd for Peavy? Maybe

Fontenot will take over for DeRosa at 2B. Fontenot looks like he will be a damn good hitter so they will not be losing much offense. Aaron Miles will take on the utility role. If this is a salary dump to acquire a player like M
Milton Bradley, the Cubs just got a lot better.

I feel the same way. It'd be easier for me to give up Floyd in a package deal for Peavy than it would be to give up Danks in a package deal.

I also agree with your comment on Fontenot. Although I haven't read that he will definitely take over for DeRosa (more people have Miles starting), it makes more sense. But they will lose a bit offensively with Fontenot taking DeRosa's spot. With more plate appearances for pitchers to study, Fontenot will have less success.

raven1
12-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Don't know much about the prospects the tribe gave up. Anyone have any info?

Don't like to see Derosa in the division, except for his defense, which is acceptable if he plays third.

Have to think the Cubs are up to something else.
They are up to something else - I just saw the news release that they signed Aaron Miles.

Konerko05
12-31-2008, 04:49 PM
If this is just to free up money for Milton Bradley, they are silly.

Why would that be silly? The Cubs would be adding one of the best hitters in baseball last year, who happens to hit from both sides of the plate. Fontenot should be able to replace DeRosa's numbers. Miles is a decent utility player. They have also added some young pitching to the organization.

Foulke You
12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeh. The Cubs themselves don't even like Theroit at SS.
Theriot would make a fine 2B but is a below avg SS on defense. He is a nice top of the order hitter though. Solid contact hitter and a tough out. I wish we had a guy like him at the top of the order actually. Theriot is one of the few Cub players I like quite a bit. I would definitely take Alexei's arm and defense over him any day though.

btrain929
12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Absolutely not. Selling high is never a bad thing.

Doesn't "selling high" require getting a pretty good package in return? Because that didn't happen here.....:scratch:

white sox bill
12-31-2008, 05:38 PM
The unmantling of the dynasty team has started.

champagne030
12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Floyd for Peavy? Maybe

Fontenot will take over for DeRosa at 2B. Fontenot looks like he will be a damn good hitter so they will not be losing much offense. Aaron Miles will take on the utility role. If this is a salary dump to acquire a player like Milton Bradley, the Cubs just got a lot better.

Fontenot is a platoon player. It looks like a salary dump, in an effort, to get more LH bats into the lineup. And DeRosa was no wizard at 2B, but "Fonzie" has hands of stone and little range. They've currently downgraded their club. It would be a good move if they could sign Bradley and count on him being healthy, but it's likely Milton misses significant time trying to play RF everyday. And then they're back to Fukudome playing RF and the stonehanded elf at 2B.

A. Cavatica
12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
A Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Richard rotation would be very nice.

Peavy would be the #1 on almost any team in baseball.

WhiteSox1989
12-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Who'd they get in return? A couple good prospects, right?

The way I see it is that, it's a possible set up for a bigger trade. I don't know what, because I try not to think about the Cubs too often.

But I don't think it means the Cubs are getting Peavy.

SoxSpeed22
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
They could be taking another shot at Roberts. Stevens could make the majors this year as a reliever. The other guys are down the road type of prospects.
This trade sucks for us. DeRosa is a good player and he's a great locker room presence. It also fills their hole at 3rd base. With how well Cleveland played in the 2nd half last year, I think they could be a bigger threat to us than Minnesota. It depends on their starting pitching.

thedudeabides
12-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Why would that be silly? The Cubs would be adding one of the best hitters in baseball last year, who happens to hit from both sides of the plate. Fontenot should be able to replace DeRosa's numbers. Miles is a decent utility player. They have also added some young pitching to the organization.

Look at how many games a year he can play in the field. He's a great hitter, but injury prone for sure. He's a risk. One that could pay off, but it's hard to imagine he could survive the year in right field.

veeter
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Look at how many games a year he can play in the field. He's a great hitter, but injury prone for sure. He's a risk. One that could pay off, but it's hard to imagine he could survive the year in right field.Not to mention, he's nuts.

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/derosma01.shtml

Like when he was with Texas? My guess is comparable to that.
I forgot he was with Texas! :redface:

soxwon
12-31-2008, 08:07 PM
For minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Gaub

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802342

stevens 0-3 3.94 buffalo 5-1 2.51 akron
archer 4-8 4.29 lake county
gaub 1-1 3.38 lk county

StillMissOzzie
12-31-2008, 09:55 PM
The cub will miss DeRosa as he is a good sub, coming off the bench. Now Mark and Woody can hang together. It's a salary dump.

While I do think the the Cubs will miss De Rosa more than they think today, I'd be reluctant to call this a salary dump in light of moving these guys for Peavy's deal. He's signed for only $8M for 2009, but SD signed him to a 3 yr/$52M deal for 2009-2011 (which includes a $4M buyout for 2012). Maybe getting Peavy now and rationalizing it as a 4 yr/$60M deal is the goal.

SMO
:gulp:

jabrch
12-31-2008, 10:51 PM
It depends on their starting pitching.

Exactly

DrCrawdad
12-31-2008, 10:54 PM

So does this mean that Bruce LeVineline will stop pedaling his fantasies about how the Cubbies are on the verge of acquiring Brian Roberts like he's been doing the past year plus?

turners56
12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Ugh, another ex-Cub going to the Indians.

Brian26
12-31-2008, 11:15 PM
They could be taking another shot at Roberts. Stevens could make the majors this year as a reliever. The other guys are down the road type of prospects.

What I'm at a loss for is how Peavy or Roberts could be acquired for such a scrap-heap of players like Ronny Cedeno, Sean Marshall and some B-level minor leaguers. It seems like any team in the majors could put together an offer similar or better than that.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2009, 04:47 AM
What I'm at a loss for is how Peavy or Roberts could be acquired for such a scrap-heap of players like Ronny Cedeno, Sean Marshall and some B-level minor leaguers. It seems like any team in the majors could put together an offer similar or better than that.

That's what I don't get. Are the Cubs the only team that need a 2B and/or a SP? We should offer Baltimore Clayton Richard, Chris Getz, and some bum in AA for Roberts and see what Andy McPhail says.

jabrch
01-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Any deal for Peavy (or likely Roberts) would start with Vitters. Not all teams can (or will) match THAT.

RichFitztightly
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Not to mention, he's nuts.

Milton Bradley is the absolute worst possible fit for the Cubs. He's too big of a head case and he self destruct the moment the *ahem* greatest fans in the world turn on him and start to boo his first bad performance. He'll subsequently get mad and spout off, and they'll boo that.

It is not going to turn out well.

thomas35forever
01-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Don't count on Peavy going to the North Side. When asked about it, Towers said it was "doubtful" the clubs would renegotiate once again.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-peavy123108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

russ99
01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Milton Bradley is the absolute worst possible fit for the Cubs. He's too big of a head case and he self destruct the moment the *ahem* greatest fans in the world turn on him and start to boo his first bad performance. He'll subsequently get mad and spout off, and they'll boo that.

It is not going to turn out well.

I know!!! :D::tongue::D:

Plus the Cubs are vastly overpaying him for one and a half good years in an insane hitters park in Texas. Think he'll hit well when the wind's blowing in?

Putting him and Zambrano on the same team is like sitting on a powerkeg with a lit match. Should be interesting...

MHOUSE
01-03-2009, 01:32 AM
After the Marquis/DeRosa trade I had to field a bunch of text messages from my Cub fan friends saying that they were clearing room for Peavy. I was like do you read anything? As far as I understood, Bradley was a done deal once Marquis was off the books which should be finalized next week. The Cubs just DO NOT have the prospects to get a Cy Young winner. If Atlanta couldn't get him with prospects like Tommy Hanson, Flowers, Gorkys Hernandez, Escobar, etc. then what chance do the Flubs have with Ronny Cedeno, Sean Marshall and Felix Pie? lol It's laughable. Good look paying Bradley $30 million to waste away on the DL.

rdivaldi
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Putting him and Zambrano on the same team is like sitting on a powerkeg with a lit match. Should be interesting...

That's an understatement. The Flubbie clubhouse is going to be a collection of selfish asshats. Should make for an entertaining collapse.

jabrch
01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
After the Marquis/DeRosa trade I had to field a bunch of text messages from my Cub fan friends saying that they were clearing room for Peavy. I was like do you read anything? As far as I understood, Bradley was a done deal once Marquis was off the books which should be finalized next week. The Cubs just DO NOT have the prospects to get a Cy Young winner. If Atlanta couldn't get him with prospects like Tommy Hanson, Flowers, Gorkys Hernandez, Escobar, etc. then what chance do the Flubs have with Ronny Cedeno, Sean Marshall and Felix Pie? lol It's laughable. Good look paying Bradley $30 million to waste away on the DL.

The Braves had the prospects to get him. They wouldn't give him a NTC.

And the Cubs may have the prospects - if Moorad doesn't get in quick enough - but it will be a deal lead by Josh Vitters, with some of those other pieces in it.

Konerko05
01-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Fontenot is a platoon player. It looks like a salary dump, in an effort, to get more LH bats into the lineup. And DeRosa was no wizard at 2B, but "Fonzie" has hands of stone and little range. They've currently downgraded their club. It would be a good move if they could sign Bradley and count on him being healthy, but it's likely Milton misses significant time trying to play RF everyday. And then they're back to Fukudome playing RF and the stonehanded elf at 2B.

Fontenot might just be a platoon player, but he also hits from the left side of the plate. He could accumulate 300 bats being a platoon player. Last year he had a .909 OPS in 243 at bats. Miles and Fontenot can definitely come close to DeRosa's production. I also don't think the drop-off in defense is that bad.

You have a point about Bradley staying healthy in RF. I still stick by my point about acquiring a left handed bat. If the money saved is used on a good LH bat, the Cubs become a better team.

Their defense up the middle won't be very strong with Theriot, Fontenot, and Fukodome. Although, it wasn't great last year with Theriot, DeRosa, and Edmonds.