PDA

View Full Version : Luis Vizcaino back in Chicago

the1tab
12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Reports on XM radio are that the Cubs will send Jason Marquis and $1 million to the Rockies for Vizcaino, saving the Cubs approx. $5 million in 2009.

Like my grandma always said, "Garbage in, garbage out." Nice move by the Cubs to at least spend less money to have a piece of junk on their roster.

kittle42
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Marquis will have an 8.00 ERA in Denver.

the1tab
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM

What will Vizcaino have at Wrigley? His career ERA there is over 6 already!

slavko
12-30-2008, 11:51 PM

When he's good he's very, very ordinary, when he's bad he's horrid. Shows that starters are worth more than relievers. He himself might hit for power there.

spawn
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM
According to Bruce Levne, the Cubs will also sign Milton Bradley. Hesaid the deal has been done for about a month. If that's the case, why haven't they announced it?

veeter
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
According to Bruce Levne, the Cubs will also sign Milton Bradley. Hesaid the deal has been done for about a month. If that's the case, why haven't they announced it?Hendry just wanted to be sure to DOUBLE the highest offer before it was announced.

thedudeabides
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
According to Bruce Levne, the Cubs will also sign Milton Bradley. Hesaid the deal has been done for about a month. If that's the case, why haven't they announced it?

Because Bruce Levine, in one form or another, is usually wrong. Maybe, he got part of the story right this time.

Dan Mega
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
According to Bruce Levine, the Cubs will also sign Milton Bradley. He said the deal has been done for about a month. If that's the case, why haven't they announced it?

Maybe they'll announce it at the same time they announce the Brian Roberts and A-Rod acquisitions.

Sargeant79
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM

The way I understand it, the Cubs needed to clear a little bit of payroll to be able to sign anyone else. The net decrease in salary from moving Marquis accomplishes that.

The deal probably hasn't been quite "done" as Levine says. Bradley probably wanted to go to the Cubs and the Cubs probably wanted him, and both sides probably understood that with the basic parameters of a deal in place. But since you can't present an real offer unless you're prepared for the other side to actually accept it, they needed to make sure they had their finances the way they wanted them first.

turners56
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Milton will be able to stay healthy...:rolleyes:

It'll be nice to see him get pissed off at the bleacher bums and throw a couple of chairs up there.

PatK
12-31-2008, 11:18 AM
I dunno, I'd kind of rather have Marquis than the Viz.

tm1119
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Money saved on Marquis + Singing Bradley and Miles + Trading Derosa for prospects = Getting Peavy.

Foulke You
12-31-2008, 01:07 PM
For what it is worth, Cubs beat writer Gordon Wittenmeyer is saying the same thing in today's paper. It sounds like they are moving Marquis and possibly DeRosa to free up cash to sign Bradley.

thomas35forever
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Money saved on Marquis + Singing Bradley and Miles + Trading Derosa for prospects = Getting Peavy.
I really don't think Peavy is going to the Cubs anymore. Also, the Bradley deal has not officially been announced. Hendry had his chance at the Winter Meetings, but wouldn't part with what San Diego was asking.

As far as the Vizcaino deal goes, it'll just mean more pressure for Marmol to close out games. It seems like that 'pen hasn't improved, just added arms worse from last year.

The Critic
12-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Larry Rothschild can fix him!

forrestg
12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
All these moves may get Peavy.. One good pitcher like The cub's other moves.. It means overpaying for a few top line hyped players while opening other holes in their lineup. Dropping 5 million here and a few million there usually ends up with the cubs operating at a lower cost than the whitesox which means those idiot Cub fans filling the stadium. They will still show up to see the games to watch a few good players while at a sox game fans show up to watch a team. In the past so many years the sox still outspend the cubs but the Sox management is deemed cheap by the media. I hope the Cubs do get Peavy and he flops because I truly believe that is what the Cubs want the team and every player to do.

Rocky Soprano
12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Dropping 5 million here and a few million there usually ends up with the cubs operating at a lower cost than the whitesox which means those idiot Cub fans filling the stadium. They will still show up to see the games to watch a few good players while at a sox game fans show up to watch a team. In the past so many years the sox still outspend the cubs but the Sox management is deemed cheap by the media. I hope the Cubs do get Peavy and he flops because I truly believe that is what the Cubs want the team and every player to do.

:dtroll:

whitesox901
12-31-2008, 11:22 PM
larry rothschild can fix him!

:d::d:

RedPinStripes
01-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Milton Bradly.....Wow that's a risk. He's might be more insane the Ron Artest.

MHOUSE
01-03-2009, 12:38 AM
If you look at Vizcaino's numbers, he's been very good outside of last year. He's good for 70+ appearances and 70 innings or so. I know he's struggled at Wrigley, but maybe it was just the crosstown pressure. He's certainly not 8th inning guy, but they need someone to eat middle innings. They're really going to regret wasting Marmol on one inning and 3-run leads. He's so valuable pitching the 7th-8th and sometimes more than one inning. They're banking on Kevin Gregg holding down the 8th with help from Cotts and....? Wuertz? Eek.

BainesHOF
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Vizcaino has been a good reliever in his career.