PDA

View Full Version : Great idea!

Scottiehaswheels
12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-31-winter-classic-blackhawks-chidec3,0,1637386.story

Now they just need to make up one of these things for the "fans" that go there in spring and summer! HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHA :tongue:

getonbckthr
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Isn't that pathetic. Home of one of the original 6 teams and a paper feels it needs to write a column explaining the game and its rules. Unfortunately they are right in writing the article.

I want Mags back
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
wow, someone got paid to write that.

decolores9628
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM
wow, someone got paid to right that.

someone got paid to write it too :tongue:

Bucky F. Dent
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, be sure to "checking out your surroundings rather than watching every second of the game," you might get lucky and catch a puck in the grill! :redneck

I want Mags back
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
someone got paid to write it too :tongue:

haha, my bad. My brain is out of focus after the game tonight.

MarkZ35
12-30-2008, 10:24 PM
It seems like a pretty insulting article, as if nobody in Chicago has ever heard of hockey before. It's not that people didn't watch hockey. THEY COULDN'T watch half of the games.

getonbckthr
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
It seems like a pretty insulting article, as if nobody in Chicago has ever heard of hockey before. It's not that people didn't watch hockey. THEY COULDN'T watch half of the games.
Sadly there is a good percentage of people who don't know anything about Hockey.

MarkZ35
12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Sadly there is a good percentage of people who don't know anything about Hockey.
I understand that but I feel like the article is talking down to the entire city.

kittle42
12-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I understand that but I feel like the article is talking down to the entire city.

I think it clearly states that it is intended for people who have never seen a hockey game before. In fact, that's exactly what it says. Thus, it can in no way be logically interpreted as "talking down to the entire city."

cws05champ
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
No, just to the Northsiders that typically go to Wrigley Field for no other reason than it is the place to be...and drink.

Brian26
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I think it clearly states that it is intended for people who have never seen a hockey game before. In fact, that's exactly what it says. Thus, it can in no way be logically interpreted as "talking down to the entire city."

The author should write one of these pieces for the people who have never actually seen a baseball game before...otherwise known as typical Cub fans.

thomas35forever
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Must have been a slow news day on the sports front.

drewcifer
12-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Sadly, there are people in Chicago that still cling to hockey. For no good reason.

Must have been a slow news day on the sports front.

Yup :nod:

NonetheLoaiza
12-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Hey, there are people that aren't familiar with hockey...at all. I don't understand what's wrong with the article. The header is "New to hockey and the Blackhawks? Here's a primer." I don't know if you can rag on it, just because it's in the Tribune...

oeo
12-31-2008, 01:57 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've watched more hockey this year than I ever have in my life. If it's insulting anyone, it's the Blackhawks, for allowing their team to become irrelevant in a passionate sports town. This is the same town that supports the Cubs (well, some idiots, anyway), still brags about the 1985 Bears, and still goes to the United Center because of Michael Jordan. What the Hawks have done as an organization is ****ing sad.

Nellie_Fox
12-31-2008, 02:11 AM
I remember decades ago, on The Sportswriters on TV, Bill Gleason (huge Hawks fan) was asked why, since the Hawks sold out every game, the TV ratings weren't good. His reply: "There are 40,000 Blackhawks fans in Chicago, and half of them are at every game."

Certainly an exaggeration, but Hawks fans are more notable for their enthusiasm than for their number.

HomeFish
12-31-2008, 02:56 AM
I read this as a subtle mockery of events like this and how they tend to bring out bandwagon fans and people who are just in it for the spectacle.

SBSoxFan
12-31-2008, 08:24 AM
I read this as a subtle mockery of events like this and how they tend to bring out bandwagon fans and people who are just in it for the spectacle.

Then it's being staged at the proper venue!

Thome25
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Isn't that pathetic. Home of one of the original 6 teams and a paper feels it needs to write a column explaining the game and its rules. Unfortunately they are right in writing the article.

You can blame the dearly departed Bill Wirtz for that. He made the Hawks irrelevant in Chicago and a whole generation of potential hockey fans missed out on the NHL and the Hawks because of his antics.

His son is finally running the team the right way....they're acquiring the right players and they're actually putting their product out there for once. The last couple of years is the most I've ever seen the Hawks promote themselves.

C-Dawg
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm still as apathetic towards hockey as I have always been, but already knew about 99% of what's in that article. Doesn't everyone know the basics of how hockey is played, the blue line, icing, power play, offsides, etc? If I didn't already think they were "dumbing down" the article, the line about the Hawks being the ones in "the dark sweaters with the Indian head" did it for me.

soltrain21
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
No, just to the Northsiders that typically go to Wrigley Field for no other reason than it is the place to be...and drink.

Yes, because who you like for baseball goes a long way in your hockey knowledge.