PDA

View Full Version : Brad Penny Signs with the Boston Red Sox

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2008, 11:43 PM
One-year, $5mm and with incentives it could reach $8mm.

Link to Article (http://blogs.weei.com/robbradford/)

Thanks to mlbtraderumors.com

MUsoxfan
12-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Seems cheap

johnnyg83
12-28-2008, 11:51 PM
I woulda

thomas35forever
12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Considering what he went through last season, it still seems kind of a bargain even for Boston.

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2008, 12:11 AM
That's very reasonable.

I wonder if we made an attempt to try to get him for that cheap.

chisox616
12-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Here's the part where we're supposed to come in and whine about how KW didn't try hard enough to get him, but I have a feeling that even if he had, Penny would be a Sawx regardless.

It's definitely a good deal for them, though. Let's hope his season isn't exactly an improvement over last years.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2008, 02:29 AM
This reminds me of the Bartolo Colon situation last season but the main differences are we had a much better chance of getting Colon and Penny is a lot better (go figure, we had a better chance of signing the less talented guy).

I think we are all happy we didn't sign Bartolo. Will we be happy we didn't try to go after this guy? Only time will tell ladies and gentlemen!

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Is it official? MLB.com says they are "reportedly close" to a deal with Penny.

It's Dankerific
12-29-2008, 03:52 AM

sig needs updating =)

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2008, 04:09 AM

mlb.com seems to be the last to report almost everything.

duke of dorwood
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Boston Globe had it last night that it was happening-and supposedly they are signing a catcher today too

Lukin13
12-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Kenny's hands must be tied.

This really seems like a year to be aggressive if you can.

Outside of Tex and CC (and when you think about it, they received the "norm" or market value for the past few years, and up until this offseason every superstar that received a new contract seemed to "up" the "norm") every contract that has been signed seems fairly reasonable or below last years market. I wouldn't have paid Renteria, but I think in the past he would have been able to garner more than two years.

I like the idea of rolling the dice with a veteran starter or one coming off injury; as long as they aren't "given" anything coming out of Spring Training just because they have a large contract.

EndemicSox
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Steal for the RedSox, even if he fails to return to 2000-2007 form...kind of sad he 'aint wearing black and white, as he is the type of guy worth taking a risk on.

You can't over-work Penny, but when his arm is 100%, he can beat anyone in the league. Sigh...

munchman33
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Reading Penny's comments, it looks like he wouldn't have signed here anyway. Winning was his number one priority, and he signed with the team he thought had the best chance.

EndemicSox
12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Reading Penny's comments, it looks like he wouldn't have signed here anyway. Winning was his number one priority, and he signed with the team he thought had the best chance.

Probably, but the White Sox are pretty consistent winners as well...whatever floats his boat...his arm is probably shot anyway...

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2008, 02:13 PM

It's scarry when players stop looking at us as a place to try to win and compete.

kittle42
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
It's scarry when players stop looking at us as a place to try to win and compete.

Wait - when did they *start* looking at the Sox as a team trying to win and compete?

thedudeabides
12-29-2008, 02:36 PM

And who has done that?

Anyway, I'm not really surprised it's the Red Sox. They can afford the $5-8 million it took to take a chance on him. That's a bit more than I thought he would get.

I am curious to see how his shoulder holds up this year. He's also 7-11 with a 5.08 era against the AL in 24 starts in his career.

But, if he's healthy all year, he may turn out to be a bargain.

jabrch
12-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Wait - when did they *start* looking at the Sox as a team trying to win and compete?

Exactly

It is naive to assume we are a destination for a player who'd #1 goal is to win a WS. I can list 5 teams who will have a better chance than we will 7+/10 times.

I feel like some people have unrealistic expectations or views of this franchise. It isn't that this team doesn't try. It isn't that we can't win. But if you want the best chance of winning a WS, this is clearly the wrong place for you.

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Exactly

It is naive to assume we are a destination for a player who'd #1 goal is to win a WS. I can list 5 teams who will have a better chance than we will 7+/10 times.

I feel like some people have unrealistic expectations or views of this franchise. It isn't that this team doesn't try. It isn't that we can't win. But if you want the best chance of winning a WS, this is clearly the wrong place for you.

That is the most realistic and negative post about the White Sox I have ever seen you write.

Congratulations.

My statement as this being a place to come and win is based on the attitude and environment created after the 2005 season and 2006. Even just last year Griffey took a shot with us and waived his no trade rights. It's Kenny's aggresive style which changed the way players looked at our organization as more of a "win now" place to go. It looks to me that the outside looking in perspective is that the White Sox are miles away from playing in the WS.

BadBobbyJenks
12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Everyone goes crazy about "losing out" on Daniel Cabrera, but an actual good pitcher goes to Boston and nada. Interesting.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Everyone goes crazy about "losing out" on Daniel Cabrera, but an actual good pitcher goes to Boston and nada. Interesting.

Cabrera's guaranteed money was 52% of Penny's and 32.5% of Penny's potential salary if he gets all his incentives.

I would've understood the gamble on Penny not being worth $5-$8mm.

BadBobbyJenks
12-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Cabrera's guaranteed money was 52% of Penny's and 32.5% of Penny's potential salary if he gets all his incentives.

I would've understood the gamble on Penny not being worth $5-$8mm.

Because Penny can pitch...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Because Penny can pitch...

That doesn't matter one bit. We wouldn't have paid him $5-$8mm whether he could pitch or not. At that price for a guy like Penny who flat out sucked in 2008 (injuries or not), even I'm willing to say we have enough pitching prospects in the minors for Kenny to point at and say "we have cheaper in-house options". Now if we can get Ben Sheets for $8mm per.... do it. DO IT!

champagne030
12-30-2008, 12:28 AM
That doesn't matter one bit. We wouldn't have paid him $5-$8mm whether he could pitch or not. At that price for a guy like Penny who flat out sucked in 2008 (injuries or not), even I'm willing to say we have enough pitching prospects in the minors for Kenny to point at and say "we have cheaper in-house options". Now if we can get Ben Sheets for $8mm per.... do it. DO IT!

We're counting on guys who "flat out sucked" in 2008 to fill two spots in 2009. How is Sheets a slam dunk and Javy blows chunks?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2008, 12:42 AM
We're counting on guys who "flat out sucked" in 2008 to fill two spots in 2009. How is Sheets a slam dunk and Javy blows chunks?

Who are those two guys you speak of? And I hope you mention guys with more than 200 IP of major league experience.

As for your question, I liked Javy. I was always a supporter of him. I would've been all for it if he stayed on the team in 2009, as long as he wasn't expected to be one of our top 3 pitchers. As a "4" or a "5", I'd love it. But because of how he pitched in his last few starts last season, I won't miss him.

btrain929
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Who are those two guys you speak of? And I hope you mention guys with more than 200 IP of major league experience.

I'm assuming he's referring to Richard and Marquez.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm assuming he's referring to Richard and Marquez.

If he's doing that than he's making a mistake. I won't take the time to look up their stats because it's meaningless, but I bet Floyd's numbers before joining the White Sox were worse than Marquez's and worse than Richard's during his rookie year.

btrain929
12-30-2008, 12:52 AM
If he's doing that than he's making a mistake. I won't take the time to look up their stats because it's meaningless, but I bet Floyd's numbers before joining the White Sox were worse than Marquez's and worse than Richard's during his rookie year.

Yeah. I stayed out of it. I played it like a chess match.

I could have posted "we depended on Danks and Floyd in '08, look how that worked out."

Then someone else would have said "but they were former first round picks, these 2 weren't."

Then I would have stated how great Richard did in the minors in '08, vs the Yanks and TB, and how Marquez did well in '07, then was hampered by injuries in '08.

Then somebody else would have said Richard is only suited to face lefty-dominated lineups, and will get killed when facing anything else, and Marquez was never a top prospect and he can't be that good if the Yanks traded him when they needed SP at the time.

Sooooooo I started looking at another thread....:cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Sooooooo I started looking at another thread....:cool:

Stick around and tell me if you notice the resemblance..

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_134320.jpg ................... http://my.execpc.com/~pjsports/MADDUX/CWGMADDUX.jpg

??? yeh? no?

btrain929
12-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Stick around and tell me if you notice the resemblance..

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_134320.jpg ................... http://my.execpc.com/~pjsports/MADDUX/CWGMADDUX.jpg

??? yeh? no?

Javy is getting dangerously close to a unibrow, and Maddux looks like an abducted kid from "America's Most Wanted."