PDA

View Full Version : The most humiliating day of my life

Bucktown
05-22-2002, 05:18 PM
As I had mentioned here earlier, I was scheduled to throw out the first pitch at today's minor league (class A) game between the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Peoria.

So I show up and PR woman arranges for me to meet her down at the dugout 20 minutes before game time. Much to my surprise there are a lot of TV cameras and a NY City police officer.

As it turns out, the 9 year old son of this police officer, was also throwing out the first pitch. All of a sudden it is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE for me to be there. But at this point there is no backing out.

They tell me to go out there with little Tommy. So here is the son of a real hero who wept because he thought is dad had died and some middle aged di1do that happens to be an executive for a corporate sponsor.

I am trying to stay out of the way from the TV cameras since they clearly aren't there to see me.

Well Tommy throws a strike and the catch begins to walk off. The PR woman grabs him and says you still have to catch one for the corporate di1do standing on the mound looking completely out of place.

I am up there and I am frozen by the awkwardness of the situation. I forgot everything I had practiced (looking at the target, the high leg kick, etc.) and I sail one over the catcher that hits the backstop on one bounce.

Can anybody beat that?

cheeses_h_rice
05-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Look on the bright side...

1. It wasn't a Major League game.

2. You could have nailed little Tommy in the face.

Paulwny
05-22-2002, 06:27 PM
It's funny to me, I'm sure you'll be laughing about it in a few years.

KruseControl04
05-22-2002, 06:45 PM
Dude, that sucks.

Garrison
05-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Be pissed off at the PR woman who set it up like that. She really hung you out to dry. But you'll laugh about it someday. What's the kid's story anyways?

NUCatsFan
05-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

If all else fails, always look on the bright side of life (http://www.ironworks.com/comedy/python/bright.htm)

(Sorry, couldn't help the Monty Python reference)

FoulkeTheIndians
05-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

1. It wasn't a Major League game.

2. You could have nailed little Tommy in the face.

3. You still have a better arm and better accuracy than most Flub relievers.

4. At least it's not your job to pitch in the minors.

:butter
"Who are you looking at? I belong in the majors dammit!"

:rauch
"Yeah, me too."

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Hey, at least you had the decency to understand the magnitude of the moment for the kid. That in itself speaks volumes for you. Many people would have been still trying to get on TV and rubbing up on the kid. The pitch was secondary to the moment. You showed the world the proper way to act in a difficult situation, there is nothing humiliating about that...

For a "corporate dildo", you sound okay to me...

KruseControl04
05-22-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by FoulkeTheIndians

3. You still have a better arm and better accuracy than most Flub relievers.

4. At least it's not your job to pitch in the minors.

:butter
"Who are you looking at? I belong in the majors dammit!"

:rauch
"Yeah, me too."

Haha!! that's hilarious! Stupid Parque!

Bucktown
05-22-2002, 09:44 PM
There was one pitch by the local boy that sailed over the catchers head and landed further back than mine did. SO that made me feel better.

:gulp:

:angry:

Bucktown
05-24-2002, 03:25 PM
I should let this die, but I decided to post a picture to completely memorialize this dark day. Note the Catcher walking away with the kid and me standing there looking like an idiot.

http://www.theweiders.com/Photo1.jpg

FarWestChicago
05-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Note the Catcher walking away with the kid and me standing there looking like an idiot.Now that is what I call "left hanging"!!! :o:

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I should let this die, but I decided to post a picture to completely memorialize this dark day. Note the Catcher walking away with the kid and me standing there looking like an idiot.

http://www.theweiders.com/Photo1.jpg

At least you got to trow out a first pitch. Not many do.

moochpuppy
05-24-2002, 03:34 PM
:KW

"Hmmm.....this dildo may have some talent?"

:moron

"Oh yeah....I love a talented dildo."

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
:KW

"Hmmm.....this dildo may have some talent?"

:moron