PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Damon

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I know I am gonna get ripped but I don't care what you stat heads and dark clouds have to say. Take a look at Johnny Damon's stats: .303/.375/17/71 with 29 SBs is really solid. I had no idea his stats were that strong. With Nady, Swisher, Gardner, Cabrera and probably Matsui in the OF, he may become expendable. Especially, with Manny Ramirez being a potenial signing. I have done no reseach with this topic but does he have a NTC? Trade Dye for a SP. Pick up Damon. Sign Hudson. I am not big in CQ in RF but what ever.

LF Damon
2B Hudson
RF TCQ
DH Thome
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
SS Ramirez
3B Fields
CF Anderson (:whiner:)

That is a balanced lineup with more speed and OBP. Plus the pitching is getting better. Anderson's defense would make up for Damon's ****ty arm. But Damon has speed and range.

CashMan
12-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I am not a fan of Damon, but I wouldn't be against it, if he plays LF. But, I think Kenny has our leadoff in Lillibridge/Getz, whomever wins the 2B job.

btrain929
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
-Hudson isn't coming here. Our 2B will be either Getz/Lillibridge.
-Damon is making 13MIL this year with a partial no trade clause. The only way we would be interested in him is if NY picks up about half of his contract. I'm not sure they'd do that.
-With FA OF'ers like Manny, Burrell, Abreu, Bradley, and Dunn out there, I don't think KW will get a good enough package to warrant trading Dye.

thedudeabides
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't think he'll be coming to the Sox, but I would imagine one of him, Nady, Matsui, or Swisher will be moved. That outfield is a little too crowded.

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't think he'll be coming to the Sox, but I would imagine one of him, Nady, Matsui, or Swisher will be moved. That outfield is a little too crowded.
Cabrera has been rumored in deals but later reports have said they love his skills in NY.

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
-Hudson isn't coming here. Our 2B will be either Getz/Lillibridge.
-Damon is making 13MIL this year with a partial no trade clause. The only way we would be interested in him is if NY picks up about half of his contract. I'm not sure they'd do that.
-With FA OF'ers like Manny, Burrell, Abreu, Bradley, and Dunn out there, I don't think KW will get a good enough package to warrant trading Dye.
If you are doubting the Yankees spending money.....

DSpivack
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Cabrera has been rumored in deals but later reports have said they love his skills in NY.

Who else do they have that can play CF? Brett Gardner?

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Brett Gardner? Maybe they get a CF in the deal? Mike Cameron was rumored to going to NY.

EDIT: Didn't notice you said Gardner.

thedudeabides
12-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Pretty much. Otherwise they would have to put Damon or Swisher in CF. I doubt they're willing to do that.

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Pretty much. Otherwise they would have to put Damon or Swisher in CF. I doubt they're willing to do that.
Damon doesn't have the arm for 2B... let alone CF.

Tekijawa
12-23-2008, 05:59 PM
So in order to end the logjam in the outfield the Yankees would trade Damon for Dye? :scratch:

DSpivack
12-23-2008, 06:06 PM
So in order to end the logjam in the outfield the Yankees would trade Damon for Dye? :scratch:

Who proposed that deal? The OP proposed trading Dye for a SP, and then trading for Johnny Damon.

NLaloosh
12-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Interesting ideas.

However, it's pretty clear that the Sox are not signing Hudson, who would require atleast a 3 year deal, after acquiring a slew of young infielders (Beckham, Ramirez, Getz, Nix, Lillibridge, Betemit, Fields and Viciedo). So, that's just NOT happening.

As for Damon, I'm sure the Sox would like him for a year. But, not for $ 13 mil. plus whatever they would have to give up for him. Even if they Yanks pitched in some dough they would want a good player in return. I'm not seeing a match here but it's not a huge stretch.

whitesox901
12-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Damon, then were going to have to sign a cut off man for him so his throws can reach the cut off man

Konerko05
12-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Damon, then were going to have to sign a cut off man for him so his throws can reach the cut off man

Manny Ramirez is a free agent.

btrain929
12-24-2008, 01:20 AM

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/images/slowskys_1.jpg "We got a real talker over here. WE GOT A REAAAAAAL TALKER OVER HERE. :D:

But seriously, yeah his arm sucks.

kjhanson
12-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I know I am gonna get ripped but I don't care what you stat heads and dark clouds have to say. Take a look at Johnny Damon's stats: .303/.375/17/71 with 29 SBs is really solid. I had no idea his stats were that strong.

I stopped reading.

Nellie_Fox
12-24-2008, 02:43 AM
I stopped reading.You do realize that you bolded portions in such a way as to indicate that you read the entire post before you "stopped reading," don't you?

michned
12-24-2008, 02:48 AM

Still, the Sox did pretty well in '05 with Pods in left field. But getting an old, high-money guy goes against everything Kenny is doing this offseason.

LoveYourSuit
12-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Still, the Sox did pretty well in '05 with Pods in left field. But getting an old, high-money guy goes against everything Kenny is doing this offseason.

Indeed. Pods was making nickels compared to Damon.

grv1974
12-24-2008, 03:08 AM
I know I am gonna get ripped but I don't care what you stat heads and dark clouds have to say. Take a look at Johnny Damon's stats: .303/.375/17/71 with 29 SBs is really solid. I had no idea his stats were that strong. With Nady, Swisher, Gardner, Cabrera and probably Matsui in the OF, he may become expendable. Especially, with Manny Ramirez being a potenial signing. I have done no reseach with this topic but does he have a NTC? Trade Dye for a SP. Pick up Damon. Sign Hudson. I am not big in CQ in RF but what ever.

LF Damon
2B Hudson
RF TCQ
DH Thome
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
SS Ramirez
3B Fields
CF Anderson (:whiner:)

That is a balanced lineup with more speed and OBP. Plus the pitching is getting better. Anderson's defense would make up for Damon's ****ty arm. But Damon has speed and range.

Damon is great, but his pricetag would be too much for the Sox to bear.

tick53
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Damon's getting up there. I say go young.

btrain929
12-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Damon's getting up there. I say go young.

He is, but he only has 1 year left on his contract. So it would just be a bridge until 2010, where we can either land a FA OF'er or add one thru trade. Or, best case scenario, Fields rakes at 3B and is adequate defensively, Viciedo does the same in AA/AAA, and he can step into a corner OF spot in 2010.

whitesox901
12-24-2008, 09:13 PM
He is, but he only has 1 year left on his contract. So it would just be a bridge until 2010, where we can either land a FA OF'er

me likey

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
You do realize that you bolded portions in such a way as to indicate that you read the entire post before you "stopped reading," don't you?

thats exactly what i was thinking lol