PDA

View Full Version : Chris Stewart?

russ99
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I remember Kenny mentioning something about how Chris Stewart may be coming back to the Sox to be our backup catcher this year with Hall leaving in FA.

However, I've found no information that indicates he's on the Sox or even available. The last I heard he was with the Yankees last year.

Anyone have other info on this?

anewman35
12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I remember Kenny mentioning something about how Chris Stewart may be coming back to the Sox to be our backup catcher this year with Hall leaving in FA.

However, I've found no information that indicates he's on the Sox or even available. The last I heard he was with the Yankees last year.

No idea if he's coming back, but he is a free agent, so it's possible, I suppose.

MisterB
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Stewart had a brief callup in April when Posada was DL'd, played in one game, then was optioned back to AAA. At the end of June the Yanks wanted to make some room on the 40-man roster and outrighted him to the minors. He refused the assignment and became a free agent, but it doesn't look like anyone picked him up for the remainder of the season, so he was still a FA.

btrain929
12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm not saying that backup catcher should be high on our priority list, but is Chris Stewart the best we could do? I know is offense is an abortion, but how is his game calling/arm? It might have been adequate back in the day, but I don't remember hearing he was some stud with a cannon or anything. Maybe somebody else can shine some light on him as I don't remember much of him besides his atrocious at-bats.

DickAllen72
12-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I remember him being a pretty good defensive catcher with a quick release to second base. I don't remember if he was considered a good game caller or not, I just remember that he was pretty good defensively.

Anyway, I recall that it was reported either here or another Sox related message board about a month or so ago that the Sox did indeed re-sign Stewart to a minor league contract.

I thought he should have been the backup catcher the last time he was with the Sox organization. Unless he has taken a drastic step backward, he should be fine as the Sox backup catcher in 2009.

Huisj
12-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Is he a better option than Cole Armstrong? I suppose maybe he is since he's a right handed hitter.

12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
During the Swisher trade press conference, Cowley asked KW "as it stands now, who is your backup catcher" and KW responded Chris Stewart or Corky Miller.

So they've obviously signed him, but many times these minor league deals aren't announced right away. The Sox also signed Josh Kroeger, an OF who played for Iowa last year (Cubs AAA), Elder Torres who is a speedy 2B-SS guy and John Van Beschoten, whose signing was reported.

Edit: Stewart is now listed on the White Sox site as a non roster invitee, along with Miller, Van Beschoten, Torres, and Brian Mylow, who briefly played for San Diego last year.