PDA

View Full Version : Giambi traded

Jjav829
05-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Jeremy that is...

He was trade to the Phillies, and Billy Beane pulled a KW here. He traded Giambi for....John Mabry...straight up. :o: :o:

Granted Jeremy isn't his brother, but with the improvements he showed this year, hes worth more than a bench player IMO.

Jeremy traded (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0522/1385606.html)

Jjav829
05-22-2002, 03:03 PM
And something thats even more shocking than what the A's got in return for Giambi...the fact that Gammons actually reported last night on BBTN that Giambi would be traded sometime this week! :o:

Garrison
05-22-2002, 03:51 PM
Are the As really in that dire of a situation to be making all of these roster moves? The called up and sent down three players a couple days ago and now trading Giambi, who was off to a good start, for a bench player? It doesn't make any sense to me. Are they throwing in thw towel all ready? Or trying to straighten things out?

baggio202
05-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
Are the As really in that dire of a situation to be making all of these roster moves? The called up and sent down three players a couple days ago and now trading Giambi, who was off to a good start, for a bench player? It doesn't make any sense to me. Are they throwing in thw towel all ready? Or trying to straighten things out?

they are 3 out of their last 17...i guess billy beane had enough..i also wonder if he knows something about a work stoppage that we dont...if he is gaurenteed this season is a wash and he is just trying to set up better financially for next year...cause this move is definately not in character with previosu bean moves

danman31
05-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Granted Jeremy isn't his brotherActually they are brothers.
From the article:Giambi, the younger brother of New York Yankees first baseman Jason GiambiPersonally I think this isn't a bad move, Giambi wasn't really a huge part of the team. He had a hot start, but with Pena doing well and the OF filled out there's no where to put Giambi.

doctor30th
05-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Actually they are brothers.

I believe he was referring to the fact that Jeremy isn't the same caliber of player as Jason. Not that they aren't actually Brothers.

Jjav829
05-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th

I believe he was referring to the fact that Jeremy isn't the same caliber of player as Jason. Not that they aren't actually Brothers.

Thats what I meant. I know Jeremy is Jason's brother. I meant that Jeremy isn't as good as his brother.

MattSharp
05-22-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th

Haha, you beat me to it.....

I am shocked by this trade to say the least. Personally I think Jeremy is starting caliber player. Its obvious that Philly doesn't have a spot in their OF for a starter, with Abreu, Burrell, and Glanville, so is he just gonna ride the pine in Philly too? What a waste.....

Jjav829
05-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Haha, you beat me to it.....

I am shocked by this trade to say the least. Personally I think Jeremy is starting caliber player. Its obvious that Philly doesn't have a spot in their OF for a starter, with Abreu, Burrell, and Glanville, so is he just gonna ride the pine in Philly too? What a waste.....

Yeah I think he deserves to start. For now he'll spell Abreu and Burrell to give them rest, and he'll probably give Travis Lee time off. (Probably a lot of time off :smile: )

KruseControl04
05-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Ummm..... why would you want to trade giambi?

RKMeibalane
05-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Carlos Pena was sent down a few days ago. This is somewhat surprising, given how he had been playing. His average wasn't high, but he had supplied a fair amount of power after taking over for Jason at first base this season. I'm not sure what Oakland is doing. Perhaps Beane believes that a work-stoppage is eminent and wants to "cut his losses" before the A's lose several key players to free-agency in the event that a salary-cap is implemented.

MisterB
05-23-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
And something thats even more shocking than what the A's got in return for Giambi...the fact that Gammons actually reported last night on BBTN that Giambi would be traded sometime this week! :o:

Remember - even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

kermittheefrog
05-23-2002, 09:43 PM
Conspiracy theorists can be really obnoxious but this trade legitimately makes me question the integrity of the game. Billy Beane knows even if he is down on Giambi the guy is more valuable than Mabry who barely makes a major league roster. There is something really eerie about this. I am gonna be really freaked out by this deal until I know what's behind it.

Here's a good article, "analyzing" this trade.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020523daily.shtml

Soxheads
05-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
C. I am gonna be really freaked out by this deal until I know what's behind it.

My jaw hit the floor when i saw this. I really saw no reasoning behind it either.