PDA

View Full Version : Cabrera named Defensive Player of the Year

Vestigio
12-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Cabrera won the fan vote in MLB.com's TYIB. He wasn't bad this season, but I dont think he lived up to the hype prior to coming to the Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081218&content_id=3721036&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

soltrain21
12-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Hmm. That is interesting.

Brian26
12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
That's a joke.

thomas35forever
12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
That's a joke.
Yup. Figures he has an off season and still wins something.

WhiteSox1989
12-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I saw this on the Sox last week.

I didn't necessarily see Cabrera "holding the infield together" this season.

btrain929
12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Sure he was.

longtimesoxguy
12-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I have no problem what so ever with O.C. Bring him back!!!
1. He can run bases and fields well.
2. He hit better than Getz ever has.
3. He's a proven winner.
He makes us better next year unless KW brings in someone else!!!

btrain929
12-22-2008, 11:47 PM
i have no problem what so ever with o.c. Bring him back!!!
2. He hit better than getz ever has.
3. He's a proven winner.
He makes us better next year unless kw brings in someone else!!!

:o:

He.
Won't.
Be.
Back.

Boondock Saint
12-23-2008, 12:01 AM
That's a joke.

We have a winner.

chisoxjtrain
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
:scratch:

Really? Wow.

WhiteSox1989
12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I have no problem what so ever with O.C. Bring him back!!!
2. He hit better than Getz ever has.
3. He's a proven winner.
He makes us better next year unless KW brings in someone else!!!
This a joke? Or..

twentywontowin
12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
He wasn't even the best defensive player on this team.

Patrick Roy should have taken lessons from Juan Uribe.

longtimesoxguy
12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
This a joke? Or..

Where am I wrong on these? If you don't like his personality that's fine. I didn't say I want to go to dinner with him I think were better with him over Getz.

WhiteSox1989
12-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Where am I wrong on these? If you don't like his personality that's fine. I didn't say I want to go to dinner with him I think were better with him over Getz.
That's..not the point.

KA Sox Fan
12-23-2008, 04:01 AM
OC was a talented player but he just doesn't fit the team. His clubhouse abilities as a veteran came up wanting and that is why he won't be back.

wassagstdu
12-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Cabrera might have been the third best defensive shortstop on the Sox team, depending on whether TCM handles short as well as he handled 2nd.

BainesHOF
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
It is indeed a joke. Cabrera was not only not our best infielder (Ramirez was), but he was only the third best shortstop on the team (Uribe and Ramirez).

HomeFish
12-23-2008, 06:57 PM
WSI is great. A guy like Cabrera can home here, put up good numbers, and still be hated, while a guy like Brian Anderson, can come here, suck it up, and be praised as the third coming (the second being Rowand).

BadBobbyJenks
12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
WSI is great. A guy like Cabrera can home here, put up good numbers, and still be hated, while a guy like Brian Anderson, can come here, suck it up, and be praised as the third coming (the second being Rowand).

I SAW HIM YELL AT JERMAINE!

HE CALLED THE OFFICIAL SCORER FROM THE CLUBHOUSE!

I will never understand why he was hated. Alexei Ramirez is not/will not be a better shortstop than OC. Alexei is quickly becoming the next Mythological Creature of WSI.

longtimesoxguy
12-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I SAW HIM YELL AT JERMAINE!

HE CALLED THE OFFICIAL SCORER FROM THE CLUBHOUSE!

I will never understand why he was hated. Alexei Ramirez is not/will not be a better shortstop than OC. Alexei is quickly becoming the next Mythological Creature of WSI.

OC can play. He is better than anyone in our system. Bring him back!!!

WHILEPITCH
12-23-2008, 07:40 PM

People get really tough on rental players. Cabrera had a little attitude and people here seemed to request the death penalty for this on a regular basis.

NLaloosh
12-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Cabrera is a good player and played well for the Sox last year. That was obvious. Why some won't admit that is a joke.

Also, Cabrera, obviously did not fit well on this team and it was a mutual decision to part company. Why some won't admit that is a joke.

In short:

Cabrera good play
Cabrera bad fit
Cabrera adios

End of story.

WhiteSox1989
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Cabrera IS good. And I wouldn't mind if we had kept him around for 2009. I just don't really think he had that great of a year to say he controlled the infield that well.

I was asking if it was a joke to the person who said OC should stay, because clearly he is not.

Oh, and Cabrera is better than Brian Anderson, hands down. How was Anderson even brought up?

BainesHOF
12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
The revisionist history in the last few posts is surprising to me. Cabrera put up respectable stats, but he did not live up to his own standard in the field or at the plate.

In the first month or two, Cabrera was borderline bad in the field. He received the benefit of a number of scoring decisions, but I was shocked at how far from a legitimate Gold Glover he turned out to be.

Offensively, he was often a bonehead whether in the batter's box or on the bases. He played the opposite of the way a veteran middle infielder should.

Then you add the personality weirdness in any number of ways and Cabrera turned out to be far less than advertised.

In short, although Cabrera is physically talented, I consider him to be a loser. It shouldn't be a wonder to anyone why the Sox didn't want him back.

decolores9628
12-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I liked OC overall, but, he was just a filler. He won't take a one year deal, which I would like, so goodbye. 3 or 4 years of OC? No thanks. I think Alexei will be if not already is better, and I think Getz will do just fine. Beckham is only 1 or 2 years away