PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Would Be A Good Year To Bring Back...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Half Price Mondays.

With the economy in the shape it's in, attendance being down last year, our team entering a "rebuilding" mode of some sorts, and fears of attendance being down all across baseball, the White Sox should seriously consider bringing back Half Price Mondays in 2009. It'd be a good way to try and extend a hand to fans and tell us that they feel the pain that some of us maybe in economically and they're going to do their part in trying to help.

This would especially be effective when combined with the Cubs actually raising ticket prices by very noticeable percentages.

Thoughts?

hi im skot
12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
They offered half-price Mondays last season. I would guess they'll return in 2009.

:shrug:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 01:32 AM
They offered half-price Mondays last season. I would guess they'll return in 2009.

:shrug:

Did they? Wow... I know I missed a lot of the 2008 season because I took classes during the summer and worked full-time but really? My cheap ass even missed that? :o: Holy crap...

hi im skot
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Did they? Wow... I know I missed a lot of the 2008 season because I took classes during the summer and worked full-time but really? My cheap ass even missed that? :o: Holy crap...

Yeah, it definitely helped me get to a few more games in '08. I somehow managed to get a few tickets in the players' family section for one game. I'm not enough of a high-roller to sit down that low, but on half-price Monday I was able to treat myself.

:cool:

Foulke You
12-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Half Price Mondays were indeed still there in 2008 however, it could have been easy to miss because they weren't as plentiful as they were a few seasons back. If I remember correctly, there were only 4 Half Price games in the '08 season. The Sox had a lot of off days on Mondays and there were a few where they waived the half price because a top tier opponent like Boston was in town. I agree with you though, adding more 1/2 price nights again (at least in the upper deck) would be a welcome addition.

WhiteSox5187
12-21-2008, 03:52 AM
I think Dollar Dog Thursdays (was it held on Thursdays? I don't remember) would also be a good thing to bring back.

CLR01
12-21-2008, 04:25 AM
I was certain this was a Rowand thread.

soxrepublican
12-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Me too!

DumpJerry
12-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I was thinking Swisher.:tongue:

russ99
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I'd like to see the Sox go back to a lot of pre-2006 promotions, like not reserving the fan deck in CF just for high-rollers, expanding half-price Mondays (and Tuesdays, remember :D:) and having half-price tickets for certain sections of the lower deck, etc. Also, there are way to many "prime" ticket dates, save that for the Yankees and Red Sox.

Seems to me the corporate/luxury spending they've been trying to attract the last few seasons will be way cut back next season. That and if the club is going young, they'll need to focus on the real fans again.

Dibbs
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Monday night fight-nights are always entertaining!

DumpJerry
12-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I'd like to see the Sox go back to a lot of pre-2006 promotions, like not reserving the fan deck in CF just for high-rollers, expanding half-price Mondays (and Tuesdays, remember :D:) and having half-price tickets for certain sections of the lower deck, etc. Also, there are way to many "prime" ticket dates, save that for the Yankees and Red Sox.

Seems to me the corporate/luxury spending they've been trying to attract the last few seasons will be way cut back next season. That and if the club is going young, they'll need to focus on the real fans again.
Young players can't command large contracts, so your plan just might work.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
2009 would be a great year to bring back:

1. The father/son, father/daughters "game."

2. The Old Timers "Game" bringing back Sox greats of the past against perhaps a team of former MLB greats.

3. Bat Day.

Lip

btrain929
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I think Dollar Dog Thursdays (was it held on Thursdays? I don't remember) would also be a good thing to bring back.

:worship::worship:

Dan the Man
12-21-2008, 01:36 PM

I totally agree on this one. Maybe make a few games you can reserve it, but to me it's a total waste, as it is an awesome spot to take in the game, but I haven't been up there since '06.

Brian26
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
This would especially be effective when combined with the Cubs actually raising ticket prices by very noticeable percentages.

Thoughts?

I'm not quite sure what the correlation is between Cubs ticket prices and trying to help the average Sox fan see a game more economically. Those seem like mutually exclusive topics.

Brian26
12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I totally agree on this one. Maybe make a few games you can reserve it, but to me it's a total waste, as it is an awesome spot to take in the game, but I haven't been up there since '06.

It's a nice vantage point to watch an inning or two, but quite honestly it's one of the worst seats in the house.

Brian26
12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
2009 would be a great year to bring back:
3. Bat Day.

Lip

Bat Day plus a couple of blown calls by Froemming or Wendelstedt equals epic times.

Dan the Man
12-21-2008, 01:43 PM
It's a nice vantage point to watch an inning or two, but quite honestly it's one of the worst seats in the house.
And that's all I would want to see, an inning or two, it's just a cool, different view. The only bad part about it is the metal counters, which turn about 150 degrees during a day game.

soxrepublican
12-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Why would they stop booking it if they are making good money selling it?

Dan the Man
12-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Why would they stop booking it if they are making good money selling it?
It's just something that I, as a fan, enjoyed. But it's not that big of a deal, so I won't get baited into a rant about how they don't care about the fans.

soxrepublican
12-21-2008, 03:34 PM
It's just something that I, as a fan, enjoyed. But it's not that big of a deal, so I won't get baited into a rant about how they don't care about the fans.

I understand your point, I also liked goin up there.

whitesox901
12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
there are several value mondays (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2009/tent_sked_big.gif)

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not quite sure what the correlation is between Cubs ticket prices and trying to help the average Sox fan see a game more economically. Those seem like mutually exclusive topics.

Not so much. Both teams are in the same city and you know the media would make it a point time and time again to mention "with the economy being bad and families struggling to just get by, here in Chicago we are seeing the Sox maintaining/lowering ticket prices while the Cubs have noticeably increased their's". That's good media my friend. Does it mean much? Maybe not. But it means something to someone me when I don't have thousands to spend on tickets to 10 games a year.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
there are several value mondays (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2009/tent_sked_big.gif)

Very good point. I just looked at the prices and they are half price for almost all seats on those 8 or 9 dates. Ok, I guess the "Half Price Mondays" label may have disappeared but the discounted tickets are still available. Awesome :smile:

soxpride724
12-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I would like another half priced day like Tuesday or maybe a wednsday.

whitesox901
12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I would like another half priced day like Tuesday or maybe a wednsday.

That would be sweet, I could so dig a value Wednesday!

nasox
12-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Imagine if they didn't bring back the promotion. This place would go nuts.

Boondock Saint
12-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Me too!

I was thinking Swisher.:tongue:
I thought Garland.

Brian26
12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Not so much. Both teams are in the same city and you know the media would make it a point time and time again to mention "with the economy being bad and families struggling to just get by, here in Chicago we are seeing the Sox maintaining/lowering ticket prices while the Cubs have noticeably increased their's". That's good media my friend.

I can see the media just as easily twisting the logic by stating that the Cubs are able to maintain ticket prices (and even increase ticket prices) because the demand is so great for the popular northside franchise, while the southside struggles to keep their fan-base after several disappointing years since their fluke World Series win.

With all of that being said, I still think people have already chosen which team they are going to support, so it is irrational to drop Sox tickets prices as a reaction to the Cubs' raising ticket prices in order to try to sway existing Cub fans or lure casual fans. Any lowering of ticket prices should be done soley to appease Sox fans, irregardless of what the Cubs are doing.

doublem23
12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
With all of that being said, I still think people have already chosen which team they are going to support, so it is irrational to drop Sox tickets prices as a reaction to the Cubs' raising ticket prices in order to try to sway existing Cub fans or lure casual fans. Any lowering of ticket prices should be done soley to appease Sox fans, irregardless of what the Cubs are doing.

The only thing that happens when the Sox drop their ticket prices are a bunch of Cub and Sox fans get loaded, show up to the park and start fighting, and we end up looking like a bunch of hoodlums and thugs.

1/2 Price Mondays suck. I wish they'd get rid of them.

Brian26
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
The only thing that happens when the Sox drop their ticket prices are a bunch of Cub and Sox fans get loaded, show up to the park and start fighting, and we end up looking like a bunch of hoodlums and thugs.

I agree. The cross-town series should be played in an empty stadium too. :redneck

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I can see the media just as easily twisting the logic by stating that the Cubs are able to maintain ticket prices (and even increase ticket prices) because the demand is so great for the popular northside franchise, while the southside struggles to keep their fan-base after several disappointing years since their fluke World Series win.

Good call on the part in italic but if the Sox were to announce their reasoning for decreasing ticket prices before tickets even went on-sale (like now), people can't be as successful making the claim you made. They maybe able to say "they're forecasting low ticket sales and that's why they lowered prices" but regardless of what happens, something will be said.

To go a step further, and this crosses into the section in bold, this change would be made to help out Sox fans. Not to lure Cubs fans or fans of any other team. This will help out the family of 5 that can't make it to the ballpark if they have to purchase tickets at full price. I'm not suggesting this be done as a form of "recruiting", I want to see it happen for us.

To a certain extent, I agree with you. A lot of idiots show up on discounted game days. But those aren't the only people that purchase tickets to those games. As I mentioned above, a family may see this as the perfect opportunity to come as a whole to a game.

russ99
12-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Very good point. I just looked at the prices and they are half price for almost all seats on those 8 or 9 dates. Ok, I guess the "Half Price Mondays" label may have disappeared but the discounted tickets are still available. Awesome :smile:

What are you talking about? There's only 6 value Mondays, not including Opening Day (obviously) and the Boston series.

Interesting sched this year. That trip at the end of August looks naaastyyy. But September's not so bad this year. Also, how did Jerry twist Bud's arm to get the 3 Cubs games at Wrigley pushed to midweek? :tongue:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
What are you talking about? There's only 6 value Mondays, not including Opening Day (obviously) and the Boston series.

Interesting sched this year. That trip at the end of August looks naaastyyy. But September's not so bad this year. Also, how did Jerry twist Bud's arm to get the 3 Cubs games at Wrigley pushed to midweek? :tongue:

Good call. Somehow I counted 8 or 9? :scratch:
And about the Sox/Cubs series at Wrigley being during the week, is that a typo?

Shoeless
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe instead of "Disco Sucks" night, "Techno Sucks" night?

doublem23
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
To a certain extent, I agree with you. A lot of idiots show up on discounted game days. But those aren't the only people that purchase tickets to those games. As I mentioned above, a family may see this as the perfect opportunity to come as a whole to a game.

Rather than offer 1/2 price Mondays, the Sox should make 1 section in the Lower and Upper Bowl Families Only (no alcohol allowed) and offer nice group discounts on the tickets. Maybe just a Sunday thing, but I think it would be very popular without the problems of the drunken morons that show up on 1/2 Price Monday. I loved those days, I took a lot of advantage of them in high school and college, but I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

ChiSoxGirl
12-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Maybe instead of "Disco Sucks" night, "Techno Sucks" night?

I think a lot of people who posted on the last two pages of this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108194&page=3) thread would disagree with you on that promotion, including me. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
As a woman, I'd love for them to bring back Lady's Day. Make tickets half price, or less if you bring a group of ladies with you.

It's Dankerific
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
As a woman, I'd love for them to bring back Lady's Day. Make tickets half price, or less if you bring a group of ladies with you.

In order to be fair, it should be more like Skirt night.

kittle42
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Agreed.

BadBobbyJenks
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Are they really having a half price Monday for Detroit?:o: Be sure to bring the family to that one.

spiffie
12-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Can we find out what price level would mean no more scruffy hooligans coming into the park and ever causing trouble again?

doublem23
12-22-2008, 12:50 AM

The Sox will probably just get sued.

Don't laugh.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/07/10/091747.php

doublem23
12-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Can we find out what price level would mean no more scruffy hooligans coming into the park and ever causing trouble again?

People are going to get drunk and fight no matter what, but can we at least ask them to pay full price for the privilege to do so?

BadBobbyJenks
12-22-2008, 12:52 AM

I don't know if it is the vicodin or how tired I am but burst out laughing at this one.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2008, 06:58 AM
People are going to get drunk and fight no matter what, but can we at least ask them to pay full price for the privilege to do so?

I think this can be solved with extremely tight security, including security cameras, and a no-tolerance policy.

If word gets out that the Sox security means business, and that those caught instigating fights will be arrested, detained, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, then many of these hooligans and dirtbags will think twice before showing up to cause trouble.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Frater:

Maybe the Sox need to do what the Yankees supposedly did in the 1970's to get rid of their troublemakers in the bleachers... step out of line, you go into a "special" room underneath where off duty cops beat the **** out of you.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Frater:

Maybe the Sox need to do what the Yankees supposedly did in the 1970's to get rid of their troublemakers in the bleachers... step out of line, you go into a "special" room underneath where off duty cops beat the **** out of you.

Lip

Far be it for me to advocate such violence. But I wouldn't be opposed to it, either. :tongue:

Jenks4Prez
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Bring back Shingo!!!!!!!!!!