PDA

View Full Version : Other than Comiskey Park, Yankee Stadium, and Shea Stadium...

Viva Medias B's
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
...what was your favorite MLB ballpark that has been (or, in NYC's case, soon to be) pulled down? My vote goes to the previous Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Huisj
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I always enjoyed games at Tiger Stadium when I was younger, though it was clearly in need of replacement by the time Comerica was built. I also enjoyed Busch the one time I was there in 2004. It seemed to be the most baseballized (ha, new word?) of the round cookie-cutter era stadiums.

whitesox901
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Besides the Cell, I've only been to Jacob's Field or Comerica...I like Comerica better, but I love the view from the Jake's bleachers on the wall in left.

MeteorsSox4367
12-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Parks I've been to that no longer exist include Tiger Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, County Stadium, Riverfront Stadium and the old Busch Stadium.

Of those, Riverfront was no big deal and had a funky smell. At the old Busch, we were way the hell up in right field and the sightlines were just average.

As for Three Rivers, I was glad I got to see it because of my affinity for both the Pirates (favorite NL team) and Steelers (favorite NFL team). Other than that, Three Rivers was merely alright.

As for Tiger Stadium, I was told by a former co-worker to visit it because it would remind me of Old Comiskey. I was able to see the Tigers and Mariners in '99 and even though Tiger Stadium was in the 'hood in Detroit, I was happy to get there for a game because I love old ballparks that are full of history. I hope that the efforts to keep part of Tiger Stadium up (from dugout to dugout, IIRC) will be successful.

As for County, I'm a big Brewers fan and went there at least once a summer. Loved to watch Bernie Brewer slide down. Like Tiger Stadium, I used to think of all the history at County from the Braves and Brewers. I even made it to County to see the Falcons and Packers.

The last time I was at County for a Brewers game, I was with my best friend and his wife. At the time, she and I didn't get along very well and as we were leaving, I went up the ramp behind the plate and she said, "Aw, look. The little boy is saying goodbye to the ballpark."

I replied with a curt "Oh, (bleep) you" and took some more final pictures. I was also there for Brant Brown's outfield adventures and Santo's "Oh, no!!!!"

Good times there in Milwaukee.

WhiteSox5187
12-21-2008, 03:56 AM
I loved County Stadium, but it might have just been their brats!

Jurr
12-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Three Rivers was a lot of fun mainly because of its history. I used to love going to catch Pirates games as a college student.
Old Tigers Stadium....classic.

DSpivack
12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Busch II being the only one I've been to that has since been torn down, it gets my vote.

I_Liked_Manuel
12-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Even though it's still standing, RFK will never be used for baseball again. I lived out there when the Nationals were playing in it - it was right off the metro, tickets were only around $7, you could sit wherever you wanted, and beer was cheap. I know it wasn't aesthetic towards the eye on tv, but I never had a bad time seeing the Nats there.

DSpivack
12-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Even though it's still standing, RFK will never be used for baseball again. I lived out there when the Nationals were playing in it - it was right off the metro, tickets were only around $7, you could sit wherever you wanted, and beer was cheap. I know it wasn't aesthetic towards the eye on tv, but I never had a bad time seeing the Nats there.

Forgot about that one, and I can see it from the roof of my building. :redface:

Still, it was pretty crappy. Can't beat the Presidents Race, though.

TDog
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Three Rivers was a lot of fun mainly because of its history. I used to love going to catch Pirates games as a college student.
Old Tigers Stadium....classic.

I never visited Three Rivers Stadium, but I saw a twi-night doubleheader at Forbes Field in 1969. I liked Forbes Field. Three Rivers looked unimpressive on television.

A lot of the parks I've been to no longer exist for baseball. Old Comiskey, of course, I went to a lot. There was Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, Arlington Stadium in Texas, Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota, County Stadium in Milwaukee. Metropolitan Stadium was probably substantially better than what it preceded.

County Stadium was falling apart at the end due to lack of maintenance. After the centerfield clock stopped working. The people working in the scoreboard manually moved it ever five minutes. But after going to some games at Miller Park, a truly depressing venue for baseball, I really missed County Stadium.

PKalltheway
12-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I really enjoyed trips to Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field when I was younger. It was just a bland cookie-cutter, but it holds a lot of sentimental value with me, as well as a lot of childhood memories.

GlassSox
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Enjoyed watching Ozzie Smith many times in old Busch Stadium especially 82 world series:D:

C-Dawg
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I really enjoyed trips to Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field when I was younger. It was just a bland cookie-cutter, but it holds a lot of sentimental value with me, as well as a lot of childhood memories.

My only visits there was as a kid, in the late 70s, and I'll always regret not going back later to see it as an adult. Only game of significance that I remember was Pete Rose's first game back at Riverfront as a Phillie! I sure wish I had pictures.

MeteorsSox4367
12-21-2008, 09:01 PM

I saw the Nats and Reds at RFK in 2007. I know people liked to talk about what a dump RFK was, but I liked it a lot. I got there early and walked around and took pictures in the upper deck in the seats where some of Frank Howard's home runs landed. It was cool seeing the ballpark where the Senators played before moving to Texas.

For one of the games, my Dad and I sat in seats that must have been an auxiliary press box for the Redskins. They were just to the left of home plate and would have been in the end zone in the football configuration.

The ushers were very friendly when I bothered them to take pictures of me at various spots at RFK with one of the ushers even telling a little kid to "get on out of the picture" as I was seated atop the dugout.

I even saw Nats announcer Bob Carpenter as I was walking back to my seats adjacent to the pressbox. I told him I liked his work on MASN and he seemed like a friendly man.

Another park that is still open but isn't used for baseball anymore is Jack Murphy in San Diego. Saw the Padres and Cardinals there a few years ago. The ballpark was OK and I even caught a ball in BP thrown into the stands by Cardinals reliever Mike Crudale.

As for the city of San Diego, awesome. If I ever left Chicago, San Diego would be a nice place to live. However, they don't have a hockey team.

AZChiSoxFan
12-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I always enjoyed games at Tiger Stadium when I was younger, though it was clearly in need of replacement by the time Comerica was built.

I really liked Tiger stadium. Really wish I could have made it to a game at County Stadium but I never did.

fox23
12-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I loved going to County Stadium as a kid. But boy was that place a dump!

tick53
12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
The old park in Cleveland was so vast and caverous that it was overwhelming. Dave Otto once said that when the park was nearly empty that he could hear the bullpen phone ring when he was on the mound.:D:

LITTLE NELL
12-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Ive been to 12 MLB parks, of the ones that are gone I have to go with County Stadium.