PDA

View Full Version : Brad Penny?

DeepFriedSnicker
12-20-2008, 06:22 PM
With the White Sox looking for a #4 starter, why haven't I heard any interest in Brad Penny? He is still currently a free agent isn't he? Is he a bad guy? Is it because he has a bad history of injuries? I just find it strange that he can be a very good pitcher when on, but I have not heard anyone interested in him. What is it? Anyone have a clue about this guy?

btrain929
12-20-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107464&highlight=brad+penny

SoxNation05
12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
With the White Sox looking for a #4 starter, why haven't I heard any interest in Brad Penny? He is still currently a free agent isn't he? Is he a bad guy? Is it because he has a bad history of injuries? I just find it strange that he can be a very good pitcher when on, but I have not heard anyone interested in him. What is it? Anyone have a clue about this guy?
Of all the free agent pitchers left I would put Sheets number one, Penny two and I am not even sure who would be number three.

He is one year removed from starting in the All Star Game but he is also known as a partying guy and has made some stupid moves (getting caught cheating on his wife, drunken videos, etc.). His numbers would go up in his switch to the AL but no hitters in the AL have ever seen him. I know the Sox would never spend a lot of money or put forth a lot of commitment for a FA pitcher so I highly doubt it but he isn't the worst idea.

DeepFriedSnicker
12-20-2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107464&highlight=brad+penny

I didn't necessarily mean that I haven't heard anything from the whitesoxinteractive forum. I meant that I haven't heard anything mentioned about him and the White Sox being linked to one another. Nothing. Actually haven't heard him linked to anyone. I was wondering if he still had injury issues, possibly weight or out of shape issues, attitude issues, or all of the above? A pitcher that has had his kind of success and no one is going after him? Seems kinda wierd, especially when the White Sox could use a veteran type pitcher for #4 in the rotation.

Noneck
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
He has a chance of coming to Sox, if he is willing to take the plural of his last name.

12-20-2008, 06:46 PM
It's a question of his health. The Dodgers declined a relatively affordable $9M option for 2009 so they must have been really concerned about his shoulder issues. Penny was on the DL 3 times in 2008 and when he did pitch, he was bad.

I think the White Sox will want someone more durable for the back end of the rotation.

whitesox901
12-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I think we'd get Sheets or Oliver Perez before we'd get him, and I doubt we'd get Sheets or Perez

btrain929
12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I think we'd get Sheets or Oliver Perez before we'd get him, and I doubt we'd get Sheets or Perez

Those pitchers will easily cost double of what Penny will cost, so no, we wouldn't get them before Penny.

WhiteSox5187
12-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Those pitchers will easily cost double of what Penny will cost, so no, we wouldn't get them before Penny.

Penny might not cost too much though. There was an interesting article on ESPN today about how with each passing day the price of those free agents left on the market goes down considerably (OC was named in this article with a GM saying he couldn't imagine OC getting anymore than the arbitration that was offered to him). So, if by the end of January Sheets remains unsigned, there is a chance he could fall into our price range.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 12:52 AM
What happened to Brad Penny? He used to be a very good pitcher. Weight issues? Lost focus? Mental issues?

hi im skot
12-21-2008, 01:34 AM

Now that's a user name.

:thumbsup:

Konerko05
12-21-2008, 01:45 AM
What happened to Brad Penny? He used to be a very good pitcher. Weight issues? Lost focus? Mental issues?

What do you mean what happened to him? 2005-2007 were right in line with his career numbers. You don't have to look further than post #6 to see he was on the DL three times in 2008. He had shoulder problems all season. This is the reason for the lack of interest in him. Sox should probably just stay away.

CashMan
12-21-2008, 02:03 AM
What do you mean what happened to him? 2005-2007 were right in line with his career numbers. You don't have to look further than post #6 to see he was on the DL three times in 2008. He had shoulder problems all season. This is the reason for the lack of interest in him. Sox should probably just stay away.

As a #4 starter, I don't think so, if the price is right.

Konerko05
12-21-2008, 02:17 AM
As a #4 starter, I don't think so, if the price is right.

Yes I would take a healthy Brad Penny as a 4th starter. Unfortunately the guy has a long history of injuries. He battled shoulder problems all last season which landed him on the DL 3 times.

The Dodgers declining his option indicates they do not expect him to be healthy next season. Pitchers and bad shoulders don't work very well together.

CashMan
12-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Yes I would take a healthy Brad Penny as a 4th starter. Unfortunately the guy has a long history of injuries. He battled shoulder problems all last season which landed him on the DL 3 times.

The Dodgers declining his option indicates they do not expect him to be healthy next season. Pitchers and bad shoulders don't work very well together.

Well...I can see declining a $9mill option, but for half of that I would be willing to give him a contract. If he could give the Sox, 150IP it would be worth it.

Konerko05
12-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Well...I can see declining a $9mill option, but for half of that I would be willing to give him a contract. If he could give the Sox, 150IP it would be worth it.

Last season he pitched 94.7 innings with a 6.27 ERA. Would you pay 4.5mil for that season?

Anyways, who's saying 1year/4.5mil would be the best offer he gets?

soxfanreggie
12-21-2008, 09:33 AM
We won't come close to offering him the biggest contract he can get.

btrain929
12-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Last season he pitched 94.7 innings with a 6.27 ERA. Would you pay 4.5mil for that season?

Anyways, who's saying 1year/4.5mil would be the best offer he gets?

That's usually about the average stats for a pitcher the year before we acquire them....:D:

SouthSideLove
12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
With Vasquez gone, and Contreras not set to return until after the 2009 All-Star break, the White Sox clearly need another veteran arm in my opinion. With three solid pitchers in Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd, I think we need at least one more pitcher who can get us somewhere between 12-15 wins, and 200+ innings. I don't see any of the young talent in house being able to do this, so what are your thoughts about the free agents out there who can fulfill this need.

I am thinking Brad Penny!

btrain929
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Wrong forum, but I am a fan of bringing in Penny depending on his price.

SouthSideLove
12-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I think we can get him on the cheap these days, since he really didn't pitch well last year, and the Dodgers declined the option for him.

btrain929
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
But I think he'll draw interest from teams that miss out on Garland, Lowe, Looper, Sheets, etc. It'd be great to sign him now while those other names are still on the board, and when Penny really doesn't know what his market value is. He might be interested in a 1yr deal to rebuild his stock, then hit FA to cash in. We might only need him for 1yr depending on how our pitching prospects develop or if we plan on pursuing John Lackey after the '09 season...

mzh
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
The Dodgers need to pick up some pitching; they've also lost Derek Lowe, who is the hottest pitcher on the stove according to MLB.com. Other pitchers who are out there that might be worth a try to rebuild after injuries: Bartolo Colon, Mark Mulder, Carl Pavano.

whitesox901
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Ben Sheets & Oliver Perez

btrain929
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
The Dodgers need to pick up some pitching; they've also lost Derek Lowe, who is the hottest pitcher on the stove according to MLB.com. Other pitchers who are out there that might be worth a try to rebuild after injuries: Bartolo Colon, Mark Mulder, Carl Pavano.

Those guys might be worth a flier if we need competition at the 5th starter spot. But we need something a little more dependable at the #4 spot of the rotation.

CashMan
12-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Derek Lowe is on the downside of his career, who benefited from pitching in a weak NL. He wants a lot of money and isn't worth it.

mzh
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Those guys might be worth a flier if we need competition at the 5th starter spot. But we need something a little more dependable at the #4 spot of the rotation.

That's what Spring Training is for, isn't it? Especially with the Richard-Broadway-Poreda-Marquez mess, Training Camp will be especially important to see who we can really trust to balance out the rotation.

Noneck
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
That's what Spring Training is for, isn't it? Especially with the Richard-Broadway-Poreda-Marquez mess, Training Camp will be especially important to see who we can really trust to balance out the rotation.

Spring training will show who deserves a shot at a spot, only MLB experience can show trust.

Lukin13
12-22-2008, 09:31 PM

I thought you weren't supposed to bump old threads?.? Right?

If you want to discuss Penny today you can't do that without starting a new thread...

KA Sox Fan
12-23-2008, 03:19 AM

I feel like Richard is going to pan out this year. Granted he got shelled the second time through the lineup but he's got good stuff IMO. While I hope Kenny makes a move to shore up the back end of the rotation, Brad Penny just isn't the move I want to see.

btrain929
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to bump old threads?.? Right?

If you want to discuss Penny today you can't do that without starting a new thread...

I'm pretttttttttty sure if you want to talk about a topic that already has it's own thread, you bring that thread back and discuss things in there as supposed to starting a new one. If I'm wrong, a mod can correct me. I think they don't want you bumping old threads if all you're going to post is something like "I agree" ...

DeepFriedSnicker
12-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I feel like Richard is going to pan out this year. Granted he got shelled the second time through the lineup but he's got good stuff IMO. While I hope Kenny makes a move to shore up the back end of the rotation, Brad Penny just isn't the move I want to see.

Please explain. Why isn't Brad Penny the move you want to see to shore up the back end of the rotation?

btrain929
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Please explain. Why isn't Brad Penny the move you want to see to shore up the back end of the rotation?

I think the more important question is why do you have such a raging boner for Brad Penny? I think every one of your posts has been about him.

KW already stated on the radio that he'd rather go with someone in-house as supposed to paying millions for a mediocre veteran. So that might do everything but shut the door on this Penny stuff...

guillensdisciple
12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I think the more important question is why do you have such a raging boner for Brad Penny? I think every one of your posts has been about him.

KW already stated on the radio that he'd rather go with someone in-house as supposed to paying millions for a mediocre veteran. So that might do everything but shut the door on this Penny stuff...

Ye, we would have to pay way too much money for an injury prone pitcher. I want to see some in-house talent get in there, plus I have heard that the Sox plan to get a low- payed veteran so I don't see them getting Penny or even making an attempt for him.

thedudeabides
12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Ye, we would have to pay way too much money for an injury prone pitcher. I want to see some in-house talent get in there, plus I have heard that the Sox plan to get a low- payed veteran so I don't see them getting Penny or even making an attempt for him.

Inside source? Well, isn't that potentially what Penny is?

Anyway, none of us really know what his health status is at the moment. If they fear he may not be 100%, I don't see the point. The Dodgers certainly didn't think he was worth the risk, albeit at a bigger price tag.

SoxNation05
12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Mrs. Penny why are you advertising your husband so much? Didn't he cheat on you...?

DirtySox
12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Penny close to 1 year deal with the Red Sawks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8997354/Source:-Red-Sox-close-to-adding-Penny-to-rotation

btrain929
12-28-2008, 04:41 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8997354/Source:-Red-Sox-close-to-adding-Penny-to-rotation

I'm interested to see what kind of money he gets...

DeepFriedSnicker
12-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Wow, really? I haven't been here that long, but no, not every one of my posts have been about him. Do you have such a raging boner for me that you are tracking all of my posts?

I simply asked a question. It is ridiculous that you can't respond to it without taking it personally. I was looking for a rational explanation to why he is or isn't being considered, not a brainless yes or no response.

DeepFriedSnicker
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Mrs. Penny why are you advertising your husband so much? Didn't he cheat on you...?

Is this for real? When have I been advertising him? Seriously!?!? Are you guys thinking of Derek Lowe or did Brad Penny get caught cheating on his wife as well?

btrain929
12-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, really? I haven't been here that long, but no, not every one of my posts have been about him. Do you have such a raging boner for me that you are tracking all of my posts?

I simply asked a question. It is ridiculous that you can't respond to it without taking it personally. I was looking for a rational explanation to why he is or isn't being considered, not a brainless yes or no response.

Not hard to keep track of somebody who has 7 posts (5 of which are Brad Penny-related).

Bottom line is none of us work in the front office, so without any online reports or rumors of White Sox interest, nobody knows if we are or aren't considering him. And now he'll probably sign with the Red Sox, so we can finally put it to rest....

btrain929
12-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks like it's a 1 year deal for 5MIL, with 3MIL more potentially in incentives.

stevemcstud
12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
me personally, i think that would of been a great signing for the white sox at that price.

jabrch
12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
How is his shoulder?

btrain929
12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
How is his shoulder?

We'll probably know by June...

getonbckthr
12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't mind Pedro Martinez on a 1 yr deal.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8997354/Source:-Red-Sox-close-to-adding-Penny-to-rotation (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8997354/Source:-Red-Sox-close-to-adding-Penny-to-rotation)

me personally, i think that would of been a great signing for the white sox at that price.

Really?? For $5mm?? :scratch:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like way too much for him. I know he has potential to be worth that and more, but guys like him don't get paid for potential.

WhiteSox5187
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't mind Pedro Martinez on a 1 yr deal.
I don't think that is going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to believe Kenny when he says he's done with the rotation. He might think he has enough for now. He was right last year so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm certainly skeptical.

btrain929
12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Really?? For $5mm?? :scratch:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like way too much for him. I know he has potential to be worth that and more, but guys like him don't get paid for potential.

Ehh, I don't think that's too bad, especially only on a 1 yr deal. I think it's conceivable he can put up Javy-like #'s (minus the K's and a handful of innings) for less than half the price.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Ehh, I don't think that's too bad, especially only on a 1 yr deal. I think it's conceivable he can put up Javy-like #'s (minus the K's and a handful of innings) for less than half the price.

Really? Was he just pitching with injuries last year or something?

btrain929
12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Really? Was he just pitching with injuries last year or something?

That's the word around the water cooler...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
That's the word around the water cooler...

Ah. Makes sense because he's been a very reliable pitcher throughout most of his career.

DeepFriedSnicker
12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Not hard to keep track of somebody who has 7 posts (5 of which are Brad Penny-related).

Bottom line is none of us work in the front office, so without any online reports or rumors of White Sox interest, nobody knows if we are or aren't considering him. And now he'll probably sign with the Red Sox, so we can finally put it to rest....

I find it amusing, strange, and creepy that you are keeping track of my posts no matter how many I have.

You are correct, but as is with most of the items on this board, we like to play as if we are the front office. I was asking for assumptions as to why it was. Maybe I missed something and someone could have informed me. You were obviously not the one to do that since you knew nothing. I appreciate your help. Thank you. It has definitely been put to rest, that is for sure.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
The Brad Penny one-year deal with Boston has been confirmed (http://blogs.weei.com/robbradford/).

Thanks to mlbtraderumors.com

DumpJerry
12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Continue here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108541).