PDA

View Full Version : Josh fields on espn 1000

BadBobbyJenks
12-20-2008, 11:16 AM
The word is he is expected to be on some where around 10:30.

EDIT: Make that 11:25ish

guillensdisciple
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
The word is he is expected to be on some where around 10:30.

EDIT: Make that 11:25ish

I go to bed at 4 in the morning, the last thing I am going to do is wake up to Josh Fields talking about his rejuvenation.

BUT since I am already up, I figure there is no harm in hearing him out a little bit.

DVsoxfan
12-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Could someone recap it for us?

BadBobbyJenks
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Could someone recap it for us?

Nothing too special.

Said he and his wife moved down to Florida and one of the first things he did was call Joey Cora to work on becoming a better 3rd basemen.

He is excited about Kenny giving him the opportunity to earn an every day job and his knees feel great.

He did not get bated into saying anything negative about having such a great 2007 and not being put on the major league roster in 08.

He sounds like a great guy who really was on one leg last year and is ready take over the 3b job.

white sox bill
12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Didn't I hear somewhere that Josh is the most athletic on the team?

drewcifer
12-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Didn't I hear somewhere that Josh is the most athletic on the team?

He played football and baseball.

So did JO.

white sox bill
12-20-2008, 06:31 PM
He played football and baseball.

So did JO.
Thats what I thought. KW seems to like drafting two sport players, much like himself.

btrain929
12-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Thats what I thought. KW seems to like drafting two sport players, much like himself.

Did Clayton Richard play football at Michigan?

white sox bill
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Did Clayton Richard play football at Michigan?
Correct Sir

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Nothing too special.

Said he and his wife moved down to Florida and one of the first things he did was call Joey Cora to work on becoming a better 3rd basemen.

He is excited about Kenny giving him the opportunity to earn an every day job and his knees feel great.

He did not get bated into saying anything negative about having such a great 2007 and not being put on the major league roster in 08.

He sounds like a great guy who really was on one leg last year and is ready take over the 3b job.

Well, maybe that's why he's not that great as a 3B.... taking advice from a career 2B :?:

Call Robin Ventura for crying out loud, not Joey Cora. Might be a good idea the Sox bring in Robin in the spring to help out with Josh and Viciendo. Just my thought. Give him the title of "special instructor" and pay him some $$$ to help out.

whitesox901
12-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Well, maybe that's why he's not that great as a 3B.... taking advice from a career 2B :?:

Call Robin Ventura for crying out loud, not Joey Cora. Might be a good idea the Sox bring in Robin in the spring to help out with Josh and Viciendo. Just my thought. Give him the title of "special instructor" and pay him some $$$ to help out.

Maybe he should call Crede :D:

RallyBowl
12-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Maybe he should call Crede :D:

We all know Crede doesn't return calls.

khan
12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
KW's been at this for years. To me, it seems like he's been trying to live his baseball dreams through others; This, by picking up as many ex-football stiffs as he can:

Beyond Richard/Fields/Owens, [none of whom can play dead, BTW] there was also Borchard, Erstad, KW, Jr, and others. KW continues his quest to find ex-football players who can play in MLB, but recent examples have not been too kind to KW/the SOX. I wish he'd spend more time/money pursuing actual baseball players, and less time picking up more ex-football stiffs who suck @ss at baseball.

hawkjt
12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Fields was highly rated by most teams..this is revisionist history.
Writing off Richard after one short stint with the big league club? You would have sent Floyd and Danks packing after their first years also.

I heard the interview, Josh sounded very excited about the upcoming season as a healthy ballplayer finally. I just have a feeling he is going to bounce back with a solid year.

Jurr
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that Khan guy's post wasn't too bright. Richard didn't look to damn shabby holding the Yankees down or pitching down the stretch in "Vazquez craps himself again" emergencies. Yikes.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Jurr:

How did Richard look against the Rangers and Royals? Scott Merkin himself at White Sox.com in a story on the starting pitching said it was hard to judge Richard. He had a very nice game against N.Y. and he looked awful against Texas, Kansas City and Minnesota.

His ERA was six and it was well earned I assure you. It wasn't because of a few bad innings.

Lip

btrain929
12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Jurr:

How did Richard look against the Rangers and Royals? Scott Merkin himself at White Sox.com in a story on the starting pitching said it was hard to judge Richard. He had a very nice game against N.Y. and he looked awful against Texas, Kansas City and Minnesota.

His ERA was six and it was well earned I assure you. It wasn't because of a few bad innings.

Lip

Well 1 of the reasons it's hard to judge Clayton is because we only saw him for 47 innings on the big league level. When he was at MIN, it was indeed only 1 bad inning (I believe the 5th). And you mention Texas like they had a bad offense: it was his pro debut, he struck out Hamilton 3 times, and they were one of the best offenses in baseball. He also had the gem at home vs Seattle.

I still think he has potential, and would be a fine #5 candidate. And not that it should be the main focus, but if he does grab the #5 job, that's one more starter that will be able to hold runners at 1st to help out AJ. The idea that some people have that last year was his ceiling and it's impossible for him to improve is ridiculous.

kraut83
12-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Jurr:

Lip

Living out of market, I didn't get to see a lot of Richard, but it seemed he was pretty good the first 2 or 3 innings, then would get hit around pretty good the second time through the lineup. If this was the case, I think more ML coaching and experience would help solve this.

jabrch
12-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Jurr:

Lip

The Rangers was his first start ever in the bigs, right? KC was his third start?

I'd say we saw a lot more good of him than we saw bad. Those 10 ER (and 14 runs allowed) our of his 32 ER allowed on 47.2 IP really trash his ERA.

Domeshot17
12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't understand why we can't let Richard just be good at what he is good at. Getting out tough lefties. The guy has a quick and semi funky delivery and tough movement to left handed batters. That is why he was so great in the playoffs, Tampa was a heavy left handed lineup vs Javy. Let him be in the bullpen and be a long reliever and a loogy and the kid will be great. He won't last until the all star break as our 5th starter.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Jab:

I agree with you in the sense that he's had far to few starts to judge (I also agree with Merkin that at this point in time the Sox don't know what they are going to get.)

However regarding your specific individual breakdown you also have to note the in September he got beat around by both Cleveland and Toronto as well.

I like Dome's idea, make him a situational relief pitcher (aka Boone Logan without the mental instability) and go out and get yourself the most important comodoty in MLB today... starting pitching.

Oddly enough many folks here have brought up "the good old days" when the Sox blew a postseason spot because of absolutely horrific performances from the "can't miss kids" in the back end of the rotation. Certainly that should be a concern right now heading into 2009 but ironically with all the issues the Sox are looking at as of 12-21, that may only be a small part of things.

Lip

Sargeant79
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Jab:

I agree with you in the sense that he's had far to few starts to judge (I also agree with Merkin that at this point in time the Sox don't know what they are going to get.)

However regarding your specific individual breakdown you also have to note the in September he got beat around by both Cleveland and Toronto as well.

I like Dome's idea, make him a situational relief pitcher (aka Boone Logan without the mental instability) and go out and get yourself the most important comodoty in MLB today... starting pitching.

Oddly enough many folks here have brought up "the good old days" when the Sox blew a postseason spot because of absolutely horrific performances from the "can't miss kids" in the back end of the rotation. Certainly that should be a concern right now heading into 2009 but ironically with all the issues the Sox are looking at as of 12-21, that may only be a small part of things.

Lip

Richard pitched like young guys with potential tend to pitch their first go around in the majors: Flashes of being good while every once in a while getting lit up. Guys that come in and dominate are rare. I think he showed enough to earn an audition for the 5th starter job.

I'm all for having a competition in spring training between Richard, Marquez, Broadway, and whoever else earns the right to be in it. But I think if that competition is for anything more than 1 rotation spot, we're going to be in trouble. A veteran 4th starter is needed.

Carolina Kenny
12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I have not been an ardent fan of Josh (Can't) Fields, but that being said if he is our starting 3rd baseman, I fully support him although we probably have radically different world views.

IF he can make the average plays and show some of the power that he did in 2007 than I say he is the best we have to go to war with.

It is encouraging that he will be working hard on his game this winter. I think this is make it or break it time for young Josh. He has some big shoes to fill defensively. Given our good play from Ventura and then to Crede we have had solid play for many years over at the hot corner.

CashMan
12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Richard pitched like young guys with potential tend to pitch their first go around in the majors: Flashes of being good while every once in a while getting lit up. Guys that come in and dominate are rare. I think he showed enough to earn an audition for the 5th starter job.

I'm all for having a competition in spring training between Richard, Marquez, Broadway, and whoever else earns the right to be in it. But I think if that competition is for anything more than 1 rotation spot, we're going to be in trouble. A veteran 4th starter is needed.

I like the competition idea. I have to think, Kenny is not going to have #4 and #5 pitchers being rookies. My guess is that in January he lands some sort of SP. Whether it be Sheets, Penny, or through a trade. I don't remember last year, but was there this much bitching with Danks and Floyd being the #4 and #5 starters? And I don't consider this like pre-2005 when we had a revolving door at the #5 spot. Some of those guys just sucked. I don't think Clayton sucks. BTW, after Broadway skipping being with the team in the playoffs, I don't see him being with the team much longer. I think Kenny will move him.

Sargeant79
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't remember last year, but was there this much bitching with Danks and Floyd being the #4 and #5 starters?

Yes, although most of it focused on Foyd.

CashMan
12-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes, although most of it focused on Foyd.

Well, if that is the case, and I am not saying Clayton is going to do what Floyd did, I really don't see a reason to doubt Kenny. I like his, I would rather trade for a guy then shell out tons of money philosophy. I would rather it be that, then like the Yankees where they go out and sign Pavano and Wright to decent sized contracts and get something like under 10 wins combined.

champagne030
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I really don't see a reason to doubt Kenny.

Are you basing this off of the fact it's 12/22? Fine, but if it's because you trust his judgement in evaluating pitching talent you are being foolish. You must not have remembered the steaming piles of crap that we threw out there at the back of our rotation 2002-2004.

NLaloosh
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
If the Sox get a decent veteran innings eater for the 4th spot I think they're rotation will be fine with Richard in the 5th spot.

Firstly, I think that he'll probably be ok. But, if he isn't the Sox have alternatives this year. Firstly, they'll have Marquez, Poreda, Egbert and Van Bentshoen down there. Secondly, they'll probably get another young pitcher,like Bailey, when they trade Dye. Thirdly, Contreras will be ready by July. I think they'll be ok as long as Kenny goes out and gets a decent vet. starter.

CashMan
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Are you basing this off of the fact it's 12/22? Fine, but if it's because you trust his judgement in evaluating pitching talent you are being foolish. You must not have remembered the steaming piles of crap that we threw out there at the back of our rotation 2002-2004.

I am basing this off, his recent acquisitions, Danks, Floyd TCQ, and TCM. I think there is a learning curve, and I think Kenny is past that. In 2005, he had a great pitching staff and a leadoff hitter. I think he is trying to go back to that. You are bringing something up what happend 4+ years ago. Wasn't this Kenny's first draft where he took over? I believe in Kenny, and I know he will not throw a piece of **** team out there in 2009. IDK, if you think Kenny was going to sign CC, or Burnett, but he doesn't operate like that.

soxinem1
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM

At least he didn't call Steve Lyons or Greg Norton!!!:smile:

Lip Man 1
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
LaLoosh:

If the Sox are counting on anything from Contreras at his age, with his injury, and his "recent" past two years of injuries and mediocrity, they are being extremely foolish.

Lip

white sox bill
12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
LaLoosh:

If the Sox are counting on anything from Contreras at his age, with his injury, and his "recent" past two years of injuries and mediocrity, they are being extremely foolish.

Lip

From what I understand, Jose won't be ready until at least June at the very earliest. Maybe never again.

btrain929
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
From what I understand, Jose won't be ready until at least June at the very earliest. Maybe never again.

Everything I hear is All Star Break is the absolute earliest, and that's mid-July. I agree that not much, if anything, should be expected from him. I'm more interested to see what will happen to him after '09. I think 1 of 3 things will happen:

1)If he proves to be healthy at the end of this year, he'll come back on a 1 year contract for very little salary (2MIL).
2)If he isn't healthy, and decides to call it quits, he takes on some type of role with the team to still be around Alexei and Viciedo.
3)He feels he's can still be effective as a SP, and wants a lucrative deal, and becomes a FA and leaves us completely.

In order of preference, I'd want 2, 1, 3.