PDA

View Full Version : Howard, Hamels, Lidge to Skip WBC

RKMeibalane
12-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3783135)

champagne030
12-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3783135)

Good for them. No reason to get hurt playing in a scrimmage.

whitesox901
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
lol, I saw "Howard, Hamels, Lidge to..." and I thought there was a some mega-trade :D:

Brian26
12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Good for them. It's a meaningless tournament.

guillensdisciple
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Good for them. It's a meaningless tournament.

Sorry to contradict you man, but it might be meaningless here, but not meaningless in the other countries that participate in it.

This tournament is still fresh, and people still haven't caught on to it, but I like the set up and it is good to see how other countries develop as baseball nations.

I am pretty sure almost every team there takes the Classic seriously, perhaps there isn't, but when do you ever see parody in anything of this caliber.

I say go Baseball, go America, and go Cuba!

DumpJerry
12-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry to contradict you man, but it might be meaningless here, but not meaningless in the other countries that participate in it.

This tournament is still fresh, and people still haven't caught on to it, but I like the set up and it is good to see how other countries develop as baseball nations.

I am pretty sure almost every team there takes the Classic seriously, perhaps there isn't, but when do you ever see parody in anything of this caliber.

I say go Baseball, go America, and go Cuba!
Meh. It may be popular in other countries, but the injury risk too great to guys who depend on their health for a paycheck.

Let the other countries play each other, they can still enjoy the excitement.

whitem0nkey
12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Good for them. No reason to get hurt playing in a scrimmage.

right, its much better to get hurt in spring training. no one wants to get hurt during a "meaningless" tournament they would benefit more from getting hurt during an actual meaningless spring training game.

any time this spring training when you see an injury think to yourself, if that player would be in the WBC that play would never happen and he would not have been hurt. wich is just as silly as your point of view.

Michstate45
12-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I may be in the minority here but I'm all about the WBC. Is it too much to ask these multi-million dollar athletes to play an extra month of baseball? 10 million dollar a year contracts, I feel no sympathy for them when they are asked to represent their country by going to work a month sooner than usual.

I wonder if guys like Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Nolan Ryan, etc. would be so freaked out about being too tired or maybe getting hurt by playing an extra month of baseball. Suck it up and play. There are a lot of blue-collar folks that don't feel the least bit sorry for you.

Whew...there is my rant. I just think the WBC could be something really cool if people were committed to it. As a baseball fan, I enjoy seeing this type of international format. It's a nice change of pace from the same stuff we see every season.

kittle42
12-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Good for them. Meaningless slop.

veeter
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't have a problem with position players playing. But pitchers should avoid it like the plague.

JGarlandrules20
12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
right, its much better to get hurt in spring training. no one wants to get hurt during a "meaningless" tournament they would benefit more from getting hurt during an actual meaningless spring training game.

any time this spring training when you see an injury think to yourself, if that player would be in the WBC that play would never happen and he would not have been hurt. wich is just as silly as your point of view.

Well, in spring training guys usually tend to take it easier. They don't even play full games most of the time. They're all about getting their work in and preparing for the season. I'm sure the mindset for the WBC and playing for pride is a little different.

WhiteSox5187
12-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Good for them. Meaningless slop.
I like the idea of the WBC though I still think there are some kinks that need to be worked out. Interesting thing is, when the World Series first happened in 1903, a lot of people were calling it "meaningless slop" as well, but after a few years it was huge. I think the WBC will catch on as time goes on.

soxfan2504
12-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I like the idea of the WBC though I still think there are some kinks that need to be worked out. Interesting thing is, when the World Series first happened in 1903, a lot of people were calling it "meaningless slop" as well, but after a few years it was huge. I think the WBC will catch on as time goes on.

I couldn't agree more. Remember, the 1904 World Series wasn't even held because NY Giants management was scared ****less that their team would lose to an "inferior" team from the upstart American League (just like the Pirates had against the Red Sox in 1903). Although the Red Sox won the pennant that year, it was the Skankees that were leading for most of the year. They didn't want to be embarrassed by their crosstown (actually, cross-neighborhood) rivals.

Do you honestly think Cubs fans, management, and marketing wouldn't be scared ****less if the year they finally made it to the Series, they had to play us? They'll wish they had pulling out as an option too.

And heck, not even the World Cup was successful from the beginning; in 1930, only 13 countries participated (fewer than both WBCs!), and the majority of those were from the Western Hemisphere! The British (you know, the people who invented soccer) didn't even bother showing up until after WWII. For something like this to become popular, it takes time. Not that I think that the WBC will ever become as popular as the World Cup, but you still need to take that into perspective.

And FWIW, I have no problem with players that choose not to participate. That's their decision. However, people gotta stop ****ting the bed over players choosing to play. I'm sure all the players that participate understand the risks inherent to participation. If a Sox player chooses to play, I won't whine about how he owes it to me as a fan as well as the team to not take part. People, no matter their occupation, have the right to make their own decisions. If he wants to represent his country, let him! It's not exactly an opportunity that comes along every day. But provided that this tournament improves over time, a greater proportion of top-flight talent will choose to play.

SoxNation05
12-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I thought it was gonna say something crazy like Howard, Hamels, Lidge to the Rays for Crawford, Shields, Upton and Pena.

palehosepub
12-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a trade only soxnation05 could dream up

SoxNation05
12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a trade only soxnation05 could dream up
:redface:

khan
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I may be in the minority here but I'm all about the WBC. Is it too much to ask these multi-million dollar athletes to play an extra month of baseball? 10 million dollar a year contracts, I feel no sympathy for them when they are asked to represent their country by going to work a month sooner than usual.
Do players get paid to play in this stupid, unregulated tournament? I honestly don't know. And anyway, most people wouldn't do their job for free, either.

I just think the WBC could be something really cool if people were committed to it. As a baseball fan, I enjoy seeing this type of international format. It's a nice change of pace from the same stuff we see every season.
I think the WBC will continue to enhale forcefully on a par with Jill Kelly.

Look: In every other international competition that involves professional athletes [FIFA World Cup, Olympics, International Rugby, Ice Hockey World Championships, hell even the damn Darts World Championship, etc...], there is an overriding international governing board. Some group of people that decide the terms of competition, the schedule, and enforces rules to ensure both a good competition AND player safety.

MLB can't even get their OWN competition right. [i.e. The DH vs. watching pitchers strikeout over and over, the stupid All Star Game granting home field advantage in the World Series, the Steroid/doping issues, no international draft to enable every team a chance to pick up the top international talent, etc...]

There is even LESS chance that MLB, nor any other group can organize a proper international competition in baseball. The "classic" is a joke, a waste of time, and less than mental masturbation. I do NOT want any White Sox players anywhere NEAR this stupid thing.

chaerulez
12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I have no problem with anyone skipping the WBC. It's a tournament created by Bud Selig to make more money for him and his friends. I have interest in it but it's nowhere near the equal to the World Cup is to soccer. International soccer is governed by FIFA which is a pretty powerful organization when it comes to the sport. Baseball has no such governing body so this whole thing is basically run by MLB. That's what makes it kind of stupid. Imagine if the World Cup was run by the English Premier League. Yeah it was officially run by the International Baseball Federation, MLB is obviously pulling the strings of this whole thing.

Madscout
12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
[quote=khan;2125064]Do players get paid to play in this stupid, unregulated tournament? I honestly don't know. And anyway, most people wouldn't do their job for free, either.

[quote]

Any teachers I have ever had have been willing to help me after the work day. Why? Because they love their subjects. These guys get paid more than any teacher I have ever had, even my college profs. Play for the love of the game, and if you don't love the game, well, baseball won't miss you.

Sam Spade
12-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Well, in spring training guys usually tend to take it easier. They don't even play full games most of the time. They're all about getting their work in and preparing for the season. I'm sure the mindset for the WBC and playing for pride is a little different.
If these guys had any pride in the tournament they'd be playing, no?

mzh
12-25-2008, 06:30 AM
I have no problem with anyone skipping the WBC. It's a tournament created by Bud Selig to make more money for him and his friends. I have interest in it but it's nowhere near the equal to the World Cup is to soccer. International soccer is governed by FIFA which is a pretty powerful organization when it comes to the sport. Baseball has no such governing body so this whole thing is basically run by MLB. That's what makes it kind of stupid. Imagine if the World Cup was run by the English Premier League. Yeah it was officially run by the International Baseball Federation, MLB is obviously pulling the strings of this whole thing.

On the other hand, what other real major baseball leagues are there? There is Japan, the islands scattered around the Caribbean, and China, and that's about it. It is not like the Premiership running the World Cup, because there are hundreds of world-class soccer leagues, and only 2 or 3 baseball leagues.

I admit, Bud Selig probably is running this whole thing, and it will take about 100 years for the WBC to reach the status of the World Cup, but the comparison doesn't work.

EndemicSox
12-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Those three deserve the rest, but I think this tournament is excellent for baseball around the world. If some of the over-paid goofs would rather sit on a beach rather than play for their country, so be it...

cub killer
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
If the world's top players refuse to participate, then the whole thing should be scrapped. There already is a Baseball World Cup out there that never features the world's best. We don't need 2 of that.