PDA

View Full Version : Norton re-signs with Braves

kba
12-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Here's (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081219&content_id=3723428&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl) a guy who's stuck around a lot longer than I thought he would. He's one of only four players from the 1996 Sox who still are considered active.
(Mike Cameron, Ray Durham, and Frank Thomas are the others.) The highlight of his Sox career was when he hit two home runs in one game against Randy Johnson.

Foulke You
12-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I concur. He has had a much longer career than I ever would have thought for a guy who's natural position is 1B and can play 3B (very poorly) with a relatively light stick to go with it. I'm thinking the fact that he is a switch hitter and can play multiple positions is one of the reasons he has stuck around. He was at least serviceable as a 1B but my oh my was he awful at 3B. I used to hold my breath every time Norton had to field a grounder or bunt down the line.:D:

white sox bill
12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
What about Trixie?

veeter
12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I concur. He has had a much longer career than I ever would have thought for a guy who's natural position is 1B and can play 3B (very poorly) with a relatively light stick to go with it. I'm thinking the fact that he is a switch hitter and can play multiple positions is one of the reasons he has stuck around. He was at least serviceable as a 1B but my oh my was he awful at 3B. I used to hold my breath every time Norton had to field a grounder or bunt down the line.:D:It was that chicken wing throwing style. Talk about inaccurate. But he was fun to watch get dirty. Any excuse to dive, he'd do it. Hawk and Wimpy would crack up all the time.

BadBobbyJenks
12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Norton! You're the Greatest!

Corlose 15
12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I concur. He has had a much longer career than I ever would have thought for a guy who's natural position is 1B and can play 3B (very poorly) with a relatively light stick to go with it. I'm thinking the fact that he is a switch hitter and can play multiple positions is one of the reasons he has stuck around. He was at least serviceable as a 1B but my oh my was he awful at 3B. I used to hold my breath every time Norton had to field a grounder or bunt down the line.:D:

I remember what a comforting feeling it was to have a sure handed fielder like Crede there after watching Norton. My goodness was he a butcher.

Medford Bobby
12-19-2008, 08:39 PM
What about Trixie?
http://www.loti.com/articles/Jackie_Gleason_html_mfe5340.jpg:smile:

Konerko05
12-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Watching Norton play third base was actually pretty hilarious. We started calling a kid on my 15/16 traveling team "Norton." His attempts at playing third base were equally frustrating and amusing. He would be in the dirt on every ball hit towards him, rarely coming up with the ball cleanly.

Brian26
12-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Watching Norton play third base was actually pretty hilarious. We started calling a kid on my 15/16 traveling team "Norton." His attempts at playing third base were equally frustrating and amusing. He would be in the dirt on every ball hit towards him, rarely coming up with the ball cleanly.

Fun fact:

Norton was so bad at 3b that there were some games in early 2000 where Manuel played Norton at 1b and Konerko at 3b.

SoxNation05
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Fun fact:

Norton was so bad at 3b that there were some games in early 2000 where Manuel played Norton at 1b and Konerko at 3b.

Sign Teixera move PK to 3B?

soxfanreggie
12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
I can remember watching Mike Sirotka thinking he was going to be something special. I would have rather had him than David Wells, although the whole "Shouldergate" thing happened.

Speaking of starters from the ERA, I was surprised to see Jamie Navarro was the pitching coach for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Midwest League. He no longer holds that position though.

Konerko05
12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Speaking of starters from the ERA, I was surprised to see Jamie Navarro was the pitching coach for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Midwest League. He no longer holds that position though.

Jamie Navarro's first rule implemented as a pitching coach: No matter how many runs you give up, it's always the offsense's fault.