PDA

View Full Version : Trib suggests: Crede for Weaver

MattSharp
05-22-2002, 11:37 AM
I was just looking at the Sox plus in the Tribune. Under the preview for the Tigers series it suggests the Sox trade Joe Crede for Jeff Weaver, and that it may solve all their problems.....

DrWatson27
05-22-2002, 12:06 PM
I live in Michigan and on occasion if nothing else is on I catch a few innings of the Tigers games. From what I've seen Weaver either looks really good or terriably bad. Some pitchers can pitch okay even when they don't have their best stuff-Weaver is definatly NOT one of these types of pitchers. If he is off a little is a scoring derby for the other team. If I'm going to give up a top prospect like Crede I'd like to get something more reliable.

Tragg
05-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I was just looking at the Sox plus in the Tribune. Under the preview for the Tigers series it suggests the Sox trade Joe Crede for Jeff Weaver, and that it may solve all their problems.....

No thanks, cubune. In the larger picture, the real weakpoint of our organization is in infielders (ain't real sporty on the m.l. level either) and we don't need to trade the best prospect we have for, as said above, an inconsistent pitcher who was beaning our guys 2 years ago and whom we probably wouldn't keep around for long because we wouldn't pay him.

TheBigHurt
05-22-2002, 12:14 PM
i want to only give crede up if it means getting a top notch starter and crede is worth a lot to give him up on Weiner.

Garrison
05-22-2002, 01:34 PM
I would only give up Crede for a top notch starter. Plus trading him means we have to trust third base to Jose no matter what. I don't really want to make Jose our all-the-time third baseman for longer than necessary. I want to see Crede given the starting job, soon. He's getting really antsy in AAA.

duke of dorwood
05-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Screw this.

hold2dibber
05-22-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't know - I generally think that if you can trade a talented young position player for a talented young pitcher, you do the deal. And make no mistake about it - Weaver is talented. He has some nasty stuff (though I've heard that some scouts believe his delivery is such that it might just be a matter of time until he suffers an arm injury). If Crede isn't going to be on the MLB roster this year, and the team is a starting pitcher or two away from being a legit contender, I'm not so sure I wouldn't pull the trigger on this, despite the fact that we have no other help on the left side of the infield in the minors. Plus, if I recall correctly, Weaver is under contract for at least a couple of years going forward. And, Weaver is an intense, win-at-all-costs kind of guy, and I think the Sox need more of that.

But regardless of what the Trib says, Dombrowski is on record saying that it would take three young pitchers to pry Weaver away. So this ain't gonna happen anyway.

CerberusWG
05-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Trading our only 3B prospect who could help us next year for a pitcher...makes sense!

If we do trade Crede, and we let Choice go at the end of the season, who plays 3B then? Liefer? I'd hope not. We need Crede in our system.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

If we do trade Crede, and we let Choice go at the end of the season, who plays 3B then?

well, there is scott rolen.

oops, i forgot that :reinsy still owns the team.

Saracen
05-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Weaver's got a no no going in the 8th tonight...

jklm
05-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Weaver just threw a 1-hitter tonight. It just drives up the price...

RedPinStripes
05-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Weaver is a prick and Crede is my guy. No way in hell!

MattSharp
05-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Weaver is a prick and Crede is my guy. No way in hell!

What can I say, you are the man RPS. No one puts it better than this.....

RedPinStripes
05-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

What can I say, you are the man RPS. No one puts it better than this.....

LOL! Thanx bud! :gulp:

baggio202
05-22-2002, 09:13 PM
weaver blows a gasket almost everytime out playing for suckass detroit...can you imagine him in game 2 of the playoffs and he gets rocked...he'd hit three guys in the head before getting tossed then throw the gatoraide bucket and all the bats on the field..except for the one he took into the dressing room with him to destroy the place with...bea great thing to see on a national stage...

thinkid go for somebody who maybe pitched in post season before and is a little more stable

Bucktown
05-22-2002, 09:18 PM
I would take that trade in a minute. Weaver is huge major league pitching talent and Crede is still a minor league player. granted Weaver is a bit raw, but he has great stuff.

RedPinStripes
05-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I would tak that trade in a minute. Weaver is huge major league pitching talent and Crede is still a minor league player. granted Weaver is a bit raw, but he has great stuff.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........No!

Bucktown
05-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........No!
Are you concerned about Charlotte's chances in the playoffs?

nut_stock
05-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Crede may be the real deal, who knows... but just remember that we have a history of overrating our best prospects.

alohafri
05-23-2002, 07:37 AM
No way do I make this deal. We have been touting Crede as the heir-apparent to Robin Ventura for 3 years and counting. Let's give him his shot. What is it with Manual and Williams that they give knuckleheads like Ramirez a month long tryout at the major league level early in the season (2001), but when September call ups come up, Crede comes in as late inning replacements a few times. These guys need to go for mismanagement.

Soxboyrob
05-23-2002, 09:01 AM
I would take that trade in a minute. Weaver is huge major league pitching talent and Crede is still a minor league player. granted Weaver is a bit raw, but he has great stuff.

Same here. I'd be all over that trade like flies on poop. We're talking about a solid #2 starter in exchange for a guy that hasn't played a day in the majors yet. Crede is a good minor leaguer but has shown holes in his swing at the major league level. I think he'll be a productive 3rd baseman in the majors, but a productive third baseman isn't worth a #2 starter in my opinion, especially when we could possibly sign Jose for a few more years to play there if necessary. The risks are obviously that Weaver's arm could fall off, but there is also the risk that Crede could turn out to be nothing more than a good minor leaguer.

WinningUgly!
05-23-2002, 09:47 AM
I think I'd do the deal straight up. If we have to throw in a few top pitching prospects to get it done, I don't think so. Isn't Weaver signed through the next 4-5 years? We have :manos & :graffy on the roster now who will be around to play 3rd the next few seasons, so short term(at least) we're OK there. Kinda hard to keep waiting on prospects without taking a shot at the gold every so often. At least :KW makes attempts at this...too bad they usually blow up in his face.

mack10zie
05-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Personally I'd probably do that deal. I, like someone earlier also live in Michigan and catch a lot of Tigers games, but my opinion of Weaver is a bit different. Sure, he is fairly inconsistant, but when he has his "A" game going, he is honestly nearly unhittable, some of his pitches are simply nasty. Also, I think he would REALLY benefit from the run support the Sox should be able to give him, sometimes I get the feeling on days that he doesn't pitch well that he thinks he has to pitch a no-no to get the W and he either overthrows or tries to aim the ball to much and it ends up getting him off his game and I think playing for an offensive team like the Sox would alleviate some of this pressure.

I know we all hate him because of that brawl, but he's one of those guys that everyone fan of opposing teams hates, and most fans of his team love.... I would equate it almost to an enforcer for a hockey team. Take a Tie (or is it Ty?) Domi for example, most people don't like the guy, but in Toronto he's a fan favorite. I'd guess that if Weaver were to become a good guy we'd all like him soon enough.

Anyways, I doubt that Detroit would do that trade anyways, Weaver's price tag is probably much higher than just Crede....

Soxboyrob
05-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by mack10zie

Anyways, I doubt that Detroit would do that trade anyways, Weaver's price tag is probably much higher than just Crede....

On that you are correct. Several here are very much against trading Crede for Weaver, and to a degree, understandably. The Tigers, however, would laugh at our suggestion of Weaver for Crede. "What? Our number one starter for a career minor leaguer?" the Tiger fans would scream. And the Tiger owners know that, which is why this would never happen.

Boers very eloquently noted today that the "Tigers would want a whole bunch of players and they'd want to spank our bare heinies too."

RedPinStripes
05-23-2002, 04:59 PM
Weaver would be as popular as K-Layton. I just wouldn't want to see Manos and Tony playing 3rd for the next few years for a prick like Weaver. That's my beef with this trade.

OEO Magglio
05-23-2002, 06:48 PM
I definetly take this deal, there is no way in hell that I dont. Granted Crede might be great some day, but so will Liefer, if Liefer gets to play a whole season, he will hit 40 homeruns, and just looking at this year weaver is young and great, I take this trade in a heartbeat.

Daver
05-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I definetly take this deal, there is no way in hell that I dont. Granted Crede might be great some day, but so will Liefer, if Liefer gets to play a whole season, he will hit 40 homeruns, and just looking at this year weaver is young and great, I take this trade in a heartbeat.

Leifer as an everyday third baseman is beyond scary......

rmusacch
05-23-2002, 08:20 PM

I agree with you Bucktown. Plus he is only 25. They need to do something with Crede soon, either bring him up or trade him and get something for him.