PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal predicts: Sox and Hudson

NLaloosh
12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Off of the MLB Trade Rumors site Ken Rosenthal predicts destinations for the top 11 remaining free agents and says Orlando Hudson will go to the Sox.

Is that believable? What would the Sox do with Getz, Nix and Betemit if that happened ? And, what about Gordon Beckham? He has to be a starter in 2010. Does that mean he moves to 3B? Personally, I can't see the Sox signing Hudson.

What do you think?

jabrch
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Off of the MLB Trade Rumors site Ken Rosenthal predicts destinations for the top 11 remaining free agents and says Orlando Hudson will go to the Sox.

Is that believable? What would the Sox do with Getz, Nix and Betemit if that happened ? And, what about Gordon Beckham? He has to be a starter in 2010. Does that mean he moves to 3B? Personally, I can't see the Sox signing Hudson.

What do you think?

If his asking price has come down, and his length of contract demand has come down, then I am intersted. But if he still wants 4+ and 12+, then I have no interst at all.

veeter
12-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Now that even Ozzie has come out and said the economy is killing us all, Hudson isn't in Kenny's plans anymore. That's why he traded for all those guys, IMO. We need another pitcher first and foremost, anyway.

cws05champ
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
now that even ozzie has come out and said the economy is killing us all, hudson isn't in kenny's plans anymore. That's why he traded for all those guys, imo. we need another pitcher first and foremost, anyway.
nailed it!!!!!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh I hope you're right Ken. I hope you're right.
Is Willy Taveras in the top 11 and where does Ken have him going? :redneck

whitesox901
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
you never know with Kenny...

Scottiehaswheels
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
It's possible he ends up in Chicago... I just see it as much more plausible that the other team trades DeRosa to the Twins and then signs Hudson than his ending up here.

kittle42
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Is that believable? What would the Sox do with Getz, Nix and Betemit if that happened ?

Who cares is my answer. Getz is unknown. Nix and Betemit suck. A solid, established MLB player is better than all of them.

And, what about Gordon Beckham? He has to be a starter in 2010. Does that mean he moves to 3B? Personally, I can't see the Sox signing Hudson.

You worry about that later. And he certainly does not "have" to be a starter in 2010. What if he fizzles?

jabrch
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Now that even Ozzie has come out and said the economy is killing us all, Hudson isn't in Kenny's plans anymore. That's why he traded for all those guys, IMO. We need another pitcher first and foremost, anyway.

You really listen to what Ozzie said and place significance to it?

If KW can improve the club, and not overpay to do it, history says he will do it. All those prospects still have value and roles. Some with the big club, others in the farm.

I'm not saying this is dead, but I am certainly not going to base its status on a Guillen rambling. If Hudson wants to be here for a reasonable deal, I'm sure KW will find the room to make it happen.

WHILEPITCH
12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Now that even Ozzie has come out and said the economy is killing us all, Hudson isn't in Kenny's plans anymore. That's why he traded for all those guys, IMO.

But if they move Dye out for youth, they're right back to where they'd need to be financially.

As far as the youngsters, Lillibridge could still play elsewhere, another one of them could still be a utility. Really all this signing would mean is one guy goes to AAA that wasnt meant to anyway.

If the price drops on the right FA, there's no problem for trader Ken moving one of those young IF in a trade too.

Steve Stone's blog kind of hinted that the Sox might be thinking about Hudson in OF.

veeter
12-19-2008, 12:20 PM
You really listen to what Ozzie said and place significance to it?

If KW can improve the club, and not overpay to do it, history says he will do it. All those prospects still have value and roles. Some with the big club, others in the farm.

I'm not saying this is dead, but I am certainly not going to base its status on a Guillen rambling. If Hudson wants to be here for a reasonable deal, I'm sure KW will find the room to make it happen.I believe in Ozzie's ramblings more than a major league baseball player wanting a reasonable deal.

Thome25
12-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Rosenthal also has Texieria going to the Red Sox (probably won't happen though not impossible.)...and Manny going to the Yankees.

Just because HE says Hudson is going to the White Sox.......I'm not buying it.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Rosenthal also has Texieria going to the Red Sox (probably won't happen though not impossible.)...and Manny going to the Yankees.

Just because HE says Hudson is going to the White Sox.......I'm not buying it.

Thanks for the breaking news Tom.
Give the guy a break. He's simply making predictions.

jabrch
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I believe in Ozzie's ramblings more than a major league baseball player wanting a reasonable deal.

That is true also...

KRS1
12-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Barf. Not even close to worth the type A compensation we would have to give up for him. That goes completely against the plan for youth and affordability that KW has in place. Besides, 2b is the least of my concerns for next season, as I feel Getz is someone who will not be a liability in any way for our team.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, even if we did sign him to a 3 yr. deal, we could always move him by trade in year 2 or 3 of the deal. Plus there is no garantee that Beckham is going to be unbelievable, or ready by 2010.

ChiSoxLifer
12-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Ironically enough, this article lists Hudson as one of the free agents to perhaps stay away from. It also lists his fair market value at 3/$30. At that price I would definitely pass.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/12/19/sheehan.hudson/index.html?eref=T1

dickallen15
12-19-2008, 02:17 PM
At the beginning of the offseason, Steve Stone said a couple teams were looking at Hudson as a CF. Perhaps he plays 2b until Beckham is ready and then moves to the OF.

NLaloosh
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I completely forgot about Lillibridge! And, I really like him! I truly do not believe that this has much chance at all of happening even if Hudson had a reasonable asking price.

I just don't think Rosenthal has taken into consideration all of the infield possibilities that the Sox now possess after adding Betemit, Nix, Lillibridge and Viciedo to Ramirez, Getz and Fields.

Also, and this I truly believe, Gordon Beckham will be starting on the Sox at 2B, SS or 3B in 2010 AND he will be hitting somewhere in the middle of the order. A lot of people think he is that good and so do I.

guillensdisciple
12-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Is it worth it?
Does he give us the speed we needed at the top of the line- up? He is a two hitter, so it would be like having Cabrera back there again. We have too many middle infielders competing for this job, I don't see the point of these trades if we are just going to sign Hudson and let them sit in the minors.

sox1970
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Barf. Not even close to worth the type A compensation we would have to give up for him. That goes completely against the plan for youth and affordability that KW has in place. Besides, 2b is the least of my concerns for next season, as I feel Getz is someone who will not be a liability in any way for our team.

Agreed. Sox need to get a CF that can leadoff (unless they're actually sticking with Jerry Owens :puking:), and a starting pitcher.

Konerko05
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
At the beginning of the offseason I thought signing Hudson was a legitimate possibility. It looks very unlikely at the moment. The Sox have cut payroll, cried about the economy, and have acquired several young cheap infielders.

If they are going to be frugal with their money, I hope they are going to use it on a more urgent concern. Starting pitching is the first concern that comes to mind.

Getz, Lillibridge, and Beckham doesn't really scream weak point for the organization. I can't see them using their little amount of spending money for 2B.

palehozenychicty
12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I wasn't enamored with Hudson before he got hurt the last couple years, and I didn't know about the leg injuries either from season's past. I would stay away as well, although Lip think he's the answer to all our middle infield issues. I'd rather have the young guys battle it out.

btrain929
12-19-2008, 03:22 PM
But if they move Dye out for youth, they're right back to where they'd need to be financially.

As far as the youngsters, Lillibridge could still play elsewhere, another one of them could still be a utility. Really all this signing would mean is one guy goes to AAA that wasnt meant to anyway.

If the price drops on the right FA, there's no problem for trader Ken moving one of those young IF in a trade too.

Steve Stone's blog kind of hinted that the Sox might be thinking about Hudson in OF.

Another out of position CF'er. Can't say I'd be shocked...

Jerksticks
12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Why do people want this guy? What am I missing? His career .346 OBP is decent, but he is a .280 switch hitter? This guy sounds like Nick Swisher, but older (31) and way more expensive, and he plays a non critical position. This guy stinks, no thanks.

JSticks

Sam Spade
12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Why do people want this guy? What am I missing? His career .346 OBP is decent, but he is a .280 switch hitter? This guy sounds like Nick Swisher, but older (31) and way more expensive, and he plays a non critical position. This guy stinks, no thanks.

JSticks

Nick swisher has a career average of .244 and a lot more power. Hudson has more speed and makes better contact.

russ99
12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I completely forgot about Lillibridge! And, I really like him! I truly do not believe that this has much chance at all of happening even if Hudson had a reasonable asking price.

I just don't think Rosenthal has taken into consideration all of the infield possibilities that the Sox now possess after adding Betemit, Nix, Lillibridge and Viciedo to Ramirez, Getz and Fields.

Also, and this I truly believe, Gordon Beckham will be starting on the Sox at 2B, SS or 3B in 2010 AND he will be hitting somewhere in the middle of the order. A lot of people think he is that good and so do I.

Both Kenny and Ozzie see Lillibridge as a super-utility guy in the vein of Ozuna. I also don't think we should count on Viciedo, Nix or Betemit to play every day. Getz maybe...

Everyone's trying to rush Beckham waaaay too much. He needs a year adjustment to switch from an aluminum to a wood bat and then we'll see who long it takes. Those who assume we'll see him in '09 or even '10, are really asking for too much. Hopefully Kenny realizes this too and takes his time getting him up to the MLB level.

I'd be all for signing Hudson, but the time's not right yet. Wait until January until his demands have come down. Everyone's scared off a big long term deal due to injury concerns, but I'm hoping Kenny snags him for a 2-3 year deal (in conjunction with Beckham's expected arrival), since he's better than anyone else we have in the 1-2 spot.

doublem23
12-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Dude's barely had 100 AB in A-ball and the AFL combined. Maybe we shouldn't put all our eggs in the Beckham basket in case he totally bombs like every other Sox #1 draft pick since, um, 1992?

doublem23
12-19-2008, 03:40 PM

You gotta score runs, too. Can't win the game if its 0-0.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Pale:

Actually I was in favor of signing Hudson AND trading for Figgins. Two guys at the top who have speed, can get on, advance runners and in Hudson's case, plays Gold Glove defense up the middle of the infield.

Lip

NLaloosh
12-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Russ and Double:

I'll tell you right now that Beckham is probably ready right now but he will for sure be ready in a year. He's hit wherever he's been with any bat. The guy is going to be a star. He will NOT be a Sox draft pick bust. We're all going to be very excited by Beckham in 2010 and by Viciedo in 2011. These guys will both be the real deal.

KRS1
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
You gotta score runs, too. Can't win the game if its 0-0.

With our 4 and 5 the way it is right now, I don't think that will be part of the equation whastover. As Daver would say, baseball is not an offensive game. Pitching and D first, and I would much rather see us spend that money on a solid pitcher than a solid 2b like Hudson coming fresh off an injury, who would require us to give up our first rounder to acquire. Give me a CF and a SP and forget about the IF right now, because our options there are at least somewhat attractive/viable.

soxinem1
12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Pale:

Actually I was in favor of signing Hudson AND trading for Figgins. Two guys at the top who have speed, can get on, advance runners and in Hudson's case, plays Gold Glove defense up the middle of the infield.

Lip

He may look like he does, as did Timo Perez, but I cannot figure out why so many people want Hudson for his running skills? When has Hudson shown any speed? He's never been a SB threat.

Figgins would be a key pickup for that reason, however, but I think KW should try to get Reggie Willits from LAAA instead. They have no room for the guy, but we sure could use him. He's just rotting away in Cali and won't play much again, unless someone gets hurt or traded.

doublem23
12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Russ and Double:

I'll tell you right now that Beckham is probably ready right now but he will for sure be ready in a year. He's hit wherever he's been with any bat. The guy is going to be a star. He will NOT be a Sox draft pick bust. We're all going to be very excited by Beckham in 2010 and by Viciedo in 2011. These guys will both be the real deal.

I'm totally psyched for Beckham, I just don't think it's a good idea for the Sox to start clearing room at the MLB level for a guy that's never played above Low-A Ball. If Gordon is the real deal, we can find room for him.

Sam Spade
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Dude's barely had 100 AB in A-ball and the AFL combined. Maybe we shouldn't put all our eggs in the Beckham basket in case he totally bombs like every other Sox #1 draft pick since, um, 1992?

Eddie Pearson was our last good first rounder?

Here, I think you might like a look at this link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?team=chw

Tragg
12-19-2008, 06:00 PM
With our 4 and 5 the way it is right now, I don't think that will be part of the equation whastover. As Daver would say, baseball is not an offensive game. Pitching and D first, and I would much rather see us spend that money on a solid pitcher than a solid 2b like Hudson coming fresh off an injury, who would require us to give up our first rounder to acquire. Give me a CF and a SP and forget about the IF right now, because our options there are at least somewhat attractive/viable.
Certainly CF is a much bigger liability than 2B at this point. But that's because of Guillen's love of Owens and Wise. However, upgrading 2b should allow the Sox to just put Anderson in CF (and the 9 hole) to take care of the defense.
But, that's probably not going to happen.

btrain929
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM

I don't think we're acquiring him, but that is a good thing to remember for people who think we might. With us wanting to restock the farm and us giving up our 2nd rounder last year for Linebrink, no way we sign a Type A FA that has been offered arb.

btrain929
12-19-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm not sure which side of the fence you're representing. Are you saying there was a more recent "good" 1st rounder? I say the last good one was Ruffcorn or Fernandez. I don't think you can make an argument for any of the 1st rounders since then to be "good" on the MLB level. So, from that point of view, I agree with double on not getting too excited and making crazy comments like "he's ready now."

I'm totally psyched for Beckham, I just don't think it's a good idea for the Sox to start clearing room at the MLB level for a guy that's never played above Low-A Ball. If Gordon is the real deal, we can find room for him.

Yep, what he said.

gr8mexico
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM

First round picks SUCK!!!!

Sam Spade
12-19-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure which side of the fence you're representing. Are you saying there was a more recent "good" 1st rounder? I say the last good one was Ruffcorn or Fernandez. I don't think you can make an argument for any of the 1st rounders since then to be "good" on the MLB level. So, from that point of view, I agree with double on not getting too excited and making crazy comments like "he's ready now."

Yep, what he said.

I'm saying eddie pearson sucked, so why pick that year? Also, I thought he might like a look at just how dismal its been.

btrain929
12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm saying eddie pearson sucked, so why pick that year? Also, I thought he might like a look at just how dismal its been.

OK, got'cha. I thought u were making a case for someone more recent than that year. I think he was just throwing '92 out off the top of his head. Agreed that Pearson was obviously bad.

Konerko05
12-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Not really taking a stance on the argument, but the White Sox string of first round picks from 87-90 was amazing. They were also the last top 10 round picks until Beckham. Just an observation.

Sam Spade
12-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I actually think you can throw out the entire argument as irrelevant. This team has Kenny as a GM now, so we should really only be focusing on his first round failures as well as the picks where it remains to be seen at this point.

I also noticed that 4 year streak. Craziness. Anyway, its fun to look at, that's why I posted it.

gf2020
12-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty confident that top 11 ranking was done (looks like it went online on the 17th) before Rosenthal actually talked to Kenny for an article that came out today:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8966366/White-Sox-staying-true-to-youth-movement

In it, Rosenthal says Kenny is not even pursuing Hudson. Could Kenny have lied to Rosenthal? I don't see him operating that way. Obsfucation is more his style than straight out lying.

btrain929
12-20-2008, 12:12 AM
In it, Rosenthal says Kenny is not even pursuing Hudson. Could Kenny have lied to Rosenthal? I don't see him operating that way. Obsfucation is more his style than straight out lying.

Your WHAT hurts?

gf2020
12-20-2008, 01:24 AM

Your WHAT hurts?
I learned that word from an episode of The X-Files. It means to deceive by saying a lot without actually say anything. Agent Scully taught me it.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2008, 01:45 AM
I learned that word from an episode of The X-Files. It means to deceive by saying a lot without actually say anything. Agent Scully taught me it.Except it's "obfuscation."

WhiteSoxFan84
12-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Your WHAT hurts?

I believe obfuscation is an old, wooden ship that Columbus used to discover America.

russ99
12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Russ and Double:

Actually, I think Beckham has tons of potential, but I don't want to see the Sox rush him. If he makes it here early, I'd prefer that to be up to him rather than any pressure the Sox brass (or fans!:D:) put on the situation

I'd consider going from low A ball to the Majors in one full season rushing things. He should start in high A this year, progress to AA by the end of the season and then AA/AAA/Sept. Call-up the following year if everything goes well and he stays healthy.

He has to adjust to a wooden bat, the travel grind, playing a lot more games than in college, then adjust to better and better pitching as he moves up the ladder.

I'd just reverse those two, Viciedo in 2010 and Beckham in 2011. As in playing in the majors, not just call-ups.

btrain929
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I believe obfuscation is an old, wooden ship that Columbus used to discover America.

For three..........YES!

And besides, I highly doubt Ken Rosenthal was concerned about the lack of an old wooden ship in the White Sox organization...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 09:43 PM
For three..........YES!

And besides, I highly doubt Ken Rosenthal was concerned about the lack of an old wooden ship in the White Sox organization...

You know what the White Sox organization isn't lacking but can use more of?

HINT:
http://www.aspkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/grazing-cow-1b.jpg

+

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/18/28/63/liberty-bell.jpg