PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira to Red Sox 8/184... no NY 8/210... er Ang...Orioles 10/250...

Fenway
12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Both WEEI and WFXT (FOX25) are reporting that the Red Sox have a done deal for Mark Teixeira. Nothing official from Red Sox yet but ownership is with Boras in Texas.

8 years - $184 Million ( what recession? )

whitesox901
12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Both WEEI and WFXT (FOX25) are reporting that the Red Sox have a done deal for Mark Teixeira. Nothing official from Red Sox yet but ownership is with Boras in Texas.

**** the Red Sox Nation, except you Fenway your alright

turners56
12-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Wow...talk about overpaying. Why in the world do you need to pay a guy over $20 million a year when you have Youkilis already at 1B and a very good 3B in Lowell?

btrain929
12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow...talk about overpaying. Why in the world do you need to pay a guy over $20 million a year when you have Youkilis already at 1B and a very good 3B in Lowell?

Because Youklis + Teixeira >>>>>> Youklis + Lowell. Tex is the man, he will continue to be the man wherever he ends up (because this isn't official yet), and he deserves whatever he gets.

russ99
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Sheesh, the rich get richer... Still, look out for those Rays.

At least we may be able to deal Paul to the Angels now.

turners56
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Because Youklis + Teixeira >>>>>> Youklis + Lowell. Tex is the man, he will continue to be the man wherever he ends up (because this isn't official yet), and he deserves whatever he gets.

Yeah, but don't you think it's a bit disgusting that Boston and New York are doing whatever the hell they want (and in Boston's case, improving on something that really doesn't need improving) while almost every other team is trying to spend less because of the recession? It's really aggravating me.

Craig Grebeck
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Eh, I don't really agree that Teixeira is worth THIS much. He's a first baseman, and spreading this much money around to second tier guys would make much more sense.

Also, Lowell's an albatross and I have no idea how they'll rid themselves of that contract.

russ99
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, but don't you think it's a bit disgusting that Boston and New York are doing whatever the hell they want (and in Boston's case, improving on something that really doesn't need improving) while almost every other team is trying to spend less because of the recession? It's really aggravating me.

Yeah, but the Red Sox ain't going anywhere without better, healthier and younger starting pitching.

If it goes down, I see this more along the lines of getting a Manny-like bat back, so if Lowell leaves, the Red Sox aren't vastly better than before the Manny deal. Look at it this way, Bay & Tex aren't that much of an improvement over Lowell and Manny if everyone's healthy. The Carmines do get younger in both deals, though.

btrain929
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Absolutely I agree. But if they got the money, or are willing to make that type of commitment, more power to them. But hey, Brandon Allen will be here shortly, so I'm not that bothered by this....

russ99
12-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Absolutely I agree. But if they got the money, or are willing to make that type of commitment, more power to them. But hey, Brandon Allen will be here shortly, so I'm not that bothered by this....

Hey, if we can ditch Paul's bad contract and streaky play to the Big A for a top of the order guy and/or starting pitcher, this signing could work out for us too...

Fenway
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
It is pretty simple.

Mark Teixeira is plan A for several teams including the Yankees.

Most teams have a Plan B but Boston doesn't.

His name is Manny

turners56
12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
It is pretty simple.

Mark Teixeira is plan A for several teams including the Yankees.

Most teams have a Plan B but Boston doesn't.

His name is Manny

This Boston v. New York thing is reminding me of the Cold War...

You want somebody? Well, we really don't need him THAT much, but we want him anyhow just so we can piss you off and even if we don't get him, we make you spend a little more of your money.

russ99
12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Plus, 8 years on any player is damn risky.

turners56
12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Plus, 8 years on any player is damn risky.

I hope that Boston was smart enough to get some kind of an opt out clause somewhere near the middle of this deal. 8 years is ridiculous.

russ99
12-18-2008, 08:33 PM
This Boston v. New York thing is reminding me of the Cold War...

You want somebody? Well, we really don't need him THAT much, but we want him anyhow just so we can piss you off and even if we don't get him, we make you spend a little more of your money.

That's why if the Rays win the East again, I'll laugh my ass off.

The only way this really affects the Sox (not the Carmines) is that barring epic collapses, the Wild Card will likely be from the A.L. East

btrain929
12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I hope that Boston was smart enough to get some kind of an opt out clause somewhere near the middle of this deal. 8 years is ridiculous.

No way Tex would agree to something like that. And if there is something like that in place, Tex would have the power to opt out, not the team.

jabrch
12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
The stratification between the filthy rich, the well off, and the poor is sick. (for the record, I have us in the middle group)

nodiggity59
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I really hope the Konerko to LAA speculations finally come true. I'd love to nab Weaver if possible. They do have Lackey, Saunders, and Santana. So they'd only be giving up their #4.

I think Weaver could be a nice #4 for us.

Not sure what we would do at 1B, but we need more pitching.

If we do trade PK, I hope the centerpiece is not Figgins. Might as well sign Taveras or give Owens a shot over acquiring him.

The Thomenator
12-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Might as well sign Taveras or give Owens a shot over acquiring him.

I don't want to give Owens a shot over anyone. Anyone.

btrain929
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Put your boner away, Fenway. Nothing is official or even close, yet.

http://wbztv.com/sports/redsox/mark.teixeira.boston.2.890739.html

guillensdisciple
12-18-2008, 09:14 PM

:o::o::o:

Fenway
12-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Larry Lucchino was on WEEI and said the deal is all but done.

Boras is trying to lock up Tek as well.

btrain929
12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Larry Lucchino was on WEEI and said the deal is all but done.

Boras is trying to lock up Tek as well.

I'm real interested to see what kind of contract Varitek gets after his piss-poor performance that was 2008.

BadBobbyJenks
12-18-2008, 09:35 PM
They have the money, and it is a perfect fit for them. I don't think Lowell will be that hard to move 2 years 24 million left and the Sawx will certainly pick up some of it. Call the Giants Theo.

Elsbury
Pedroia
Texiera
Ortiz
Youklis
Drew
Bay
Lowrie
Catcher

Sickening.

btrain929
12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html

Even the owner says they are out of the bidding for Tex.

champagne030
12-18-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html

Where's the teal crying tag? Hopefully the prima donna goes to Washington.

Fenway
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Sox thought deal was done....Boras called Cashman who apparently has offered 210 M for 8.

Red Sox walk away and NY now no konger needs Manny. They will upgrade...Boston stuck.

DSpivack
12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Sox thought deal was done....Boras called Cashman who apparently has offered 210 M for 8.

Red Sox walk away and NY now no konger needs Manny. They will upgrade...Boston stuck.

Half billion for THREE players?!?!
:o:

champagne030
12-18-2008, 10:40 PM

And we need to have a fire sale due to the tanking economy. :scratch:

illini81887
12-18-2008, 10:46 PM
And we need to have a fire sale due to the tanking economy. :scratch:
I dont think trading off Swisher and Vazquez is really a fire sale

WhiteSox5187
12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Once A-Rod and Tex are struggling to hit their weight and CC is looking like the second coming of Jamie Navarro - all that money might start to haunt them.

DSpivack
12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Once A-Rod and Tex are struggling to hit their weight and CC is looking like the second coming of Jamie Navarro - all that money might start to haunt them.

Don't forget AJ Burnett's injury propensities. But he "only" has an $80-million contract.

chisoxjtrain
12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
mlb.com has picked up on the story: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081218&content_id=3722397&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I posted this elsewhere but it fits here also...

Ummm.... Boston just went from having a Red Sox jersey made to fit Teix and now... they're completely out of the race for him???

Link to article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html)

The article has a poll asking people whether this is just a ploy by the Red Sox to get the media attention off of them and keep things quiet as they've been all offseason or if the BoSox owner was speaking the truth? And if it's the latter, who outbid them?? Washington???

EDIT: just read Fenway's post about the Yankees offering Teixeira $210mm over 8 years. That's disgusting.

btrain929
12-18-2008, 11:26 PM

Sorry, but not happening.

guillensdisciple
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Wow, what happened in the past 10 minutes?

If Tex goes to New York, I will revert to disliking the Yanks again, darn, just as I was beginning to find a soft spot for the "evil empire".

soltrain21
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Where's the teal crying tag? Hopefully the prima donna goes to Washington.

And this comes from where....?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't know... I'm kinda liking this. This is like us playing MVP Baseball or (now) MLB 2k8 and just spending every dime we can on the top free agents available. It's kinda fun lol. I'll probably be the only one saying this but I can't wait to see what this team will do. But, if they don't make the playoffs, HUGE embarrassment and they'll never live it down. If they don't make it to the World Series they'll be an embarrassment still.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Where'd you get the Yankees offer from?
And the scary thing is, Boras started the negotiations for Teix at 10 years, $200mill... Now he's getting $10mill more over 2 fewer years??

SOX ADDICT '73
12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Boras has a reputation for inventing fictional offers to drive up the prices of his clients; any chance the Red Sox are just calling his bluff?

LoveYourSuit
12-19-2008, 12:30 AM

:rolling:

Come on, when does money ever matter for them?

That statement there is becoming so over-used and starting to sound dumber than the "market will correct itself."

God, I wish I would have saved my the old newspaper clipping of the day we signed Albert Belle. That's historic right there. Might be the last time ever we sign the top dog on the FA market.

Well, I guess it sucks more to be a KC or Oakland fan :dunno:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 12:49 AM
:rolling:

Come on, when does money ever matter for them?

That statement there is becoming so over-used and starting to sound dumber than the "market will correct itself."

God, I wish I would have saved my the old newspaper clipping of the day we signed Albert Belle. That's historic right there. Might be the last time ever we sign the top dog on the FA market.

Well, I guess it sucks more to be a KC or Oakland fan :dunno:

What was that Alberte Belle contract? 4 years, $44 mill? And it was the contract paying the biggest average/annual salary at the time right?

Sounds like the ANGELS have actually outbid the Red Sox. Not the Yankees.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Toriiii sounds like he has a crush on Mark Teixeira in this article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-teixeira19-2008dec19,0,6519013.story).
Sounds like maybe the Angels maybe the the team with the highest bid.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I don't know... I'm kinda liking this. This is like us playing MVP Baseball or (now) MLB 2k8 and just spending every dime we can on the top free agents available. It's kinda fun lol. I'll probably be the only one saying this but I can't wait to see what this team will do. But, if they don't make the playoffs, HUGE embarrassment and they'll never live it down. If they don't make it to the World Series they'll be an embarrassment still.

I'm more interested in what happens when the economy problems do affect baseball, and the $200+ million contract forces the team to take a few years off, or disappear entirely. What if the Nationals do sign him. They average what, like 10,000 fans a game? What are they gonna do in the next 2-3 seasons? They aren't going to win a world series anytime soon with Texiera and a bunch of scrubs.

jabrch
12-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm more interested in what happens when the economy problems do affect baseball, and the $200+ million contract forces the team to take a few years off, or disappear entirely. What if the Nationals do sign him. They average what, like 10,000 fans a game? What are they gonna do in the next 2-3 seasons? They aren't going to win a world series anytime soon with Texiera and a bunch of scrubs.

My guess is they will do the same thing the Rangers did a few years after signing ARod...

Eat half the deal to move him.

Fenway
12-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Well WEEI. finally went non-local for the night (FOX Sports Radio) but apparently Boras has a better offer than NYY.

Red Sox ownership say they walked away at 210 M for 8 believed to be NYY but now it seems somebody has offered 250 M for ten years. It may well be the Orioles.

This is nuts.

PKalltheway
12-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Well WEEI. finally went non-local for the night (FOX Sports Radio) but apparently Boras has a better offer than NYY.

Red Sox ownership say they walked away at 210 M for 8 believed to be NYY but now it seems somebody has offered 250 M for ten years. It may well be the Orioles.

This is nuts.
:o::o::o::o: All of this for someone who is a damn good ballplayer, but I wouldn't even consider him among the three best hitters in baseball. Unreal.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 02:26 AM

Come on, I think the Yankees and "corporations" as big and as successful as them are smart enough to put aside a ton of money for "rainy seasons" like the one we're in now. That being said, it doesn't mean that we won't be seeing them taking a break from spending tons of money in the next few years. But a safe bet would be a bet against that thought.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-19-2008, 04:00 AM
Come on, I think the Yankees and "corporations" as big and as successful as them are smart enough to put aside a ton of money for "rainy seasons" like the one we're in now. That being said, it doesn't mean that we won't be seeing them taking a break from spending tons of money in the next few years. But a safe bet would be a bet against that thought.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't referring to the Yankees, more towards Baltimore and Washington. The Yankees may have $$$ but that doesn't mean their fans do. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost some revenue in ticket sales, not that it would actually hurt them though.

Marqhead
12-19-2008, 07:07 AM
The market will correct itself eventually.

Right guys?

Someone please tell me I'm right.

Please!

Oblong
12-19-2008, 07:21 AM
and in 4 years the team that "wins" the sweepstakes will be passing him through waivers trying to dump him.

Dibbs
12-19-2008, 07:51 AM
:o::o::o::o: All of this for someone who is a damn good ballplayer, but I wouldn't even consider him among the three best hitters in baseball. Unreal.

I definitely agree he is not in the top three hitters in baseball. He may not even be in the top 10.

russ99
12-19-2008, 07:52 AM

This is nuts.

Fenway, I'd take all this with a massive grain of salt. Seems like the Red Sox offer is false, and I'd bet that $250M/10 is false too.

Looks like Mr. Boras is up to his old tricks again. Another fake rumor to drive up the price and stimulate bidding, just like he did with Beltran and Andruw and countless other players.

If the Angels have held fast and refused to budge, I applaud them for not playing the Boras shell game. I guess we'll see who ends up holding the bag... :smile:

palehozenychicty
12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Is it me, or is Teixeira another Beltran? He puts up great numbers and has all the gifts. But he doesn't strike me as a guy that you build a team around. Just my two cents. I know that the market is haywire, but he just ain't at that level.

btrain929
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM

This is nuts.

Noooooooo waaaaaaaaaay.

doublem23
12-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Sorry Fens...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3780408

Fenway
12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Sorry Fens...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3780408

I have no doubt Boras planted the deal is done story.

Word is Red Sox ownership is livid they flew to Texas for nothing more than a dog annd pony show. Henry sent emails 2 days ago that Boston would not go 10 years.

Boras is playing this well as usual.

champagne030
12-19-2008, 09:44 AM

That's the story about his years in Texas. Maybe Frater can tell you a few stories.

pearso66
12-19-2008, 09:45 AM
If these numbers are true, the $250 for 10 years, it's insane to think what Pujols would get as a free agent. I'm assuming no less than $300 for 10 years.

PaleHoser
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
think what Pujols would get as a free agent. I'm assuming no less than $300 for 10 years.

They may have to re-write the rules and let Pujols become a team owner. It would be cheaper than signing him.

All this man-love for Texiera is nuts. He's played post-season baseball once in his career. The team that "wins" this derby gets what it deserves.

It pains me to say it, but if it was my money I'd rather have Manny Ramirez.

turners56
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM

I can understand the Yankees actually wanting him because they need him, but 8 years 210 million? My god...

jabrch
12-19-2008, 10:07 AM
They may have to re-write the rules and let Pujols become a team owner. It would be cheaper than signing him.

All this man-love for Texiera is nuts. He's played post-season baseball once in his career. The team that "wins" this derby gets what it deserves.

That's not his fault. We know Paul O'Neil played in the post season in 8 seasons. Bernie Williams played in 12 post seasons and is (I believe) the all time post-season hit leader. Neither of them are better players than (just to pick a name) Cal Ripken, who only played in 3 post seasons.

turners56
12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
That's not his fault.

He was also damn good in his only post-season appearance.

Thome25
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm rooting for the Orioles or Nationals to get him.......I'd like to see one of the "little guys" triumph in a bidding war with the Yankees and Red Sawx for once. Besides, it would be cool to see Tex play for one of his hometown teams. Also, The Orioles may be trying to build a pretty good young core with Markakis, Jones, and possibly Tex too.

One thing I wanted to add--I hate the Red Sawx. I hate 'em more than any other team including the Cubs and Yankees. I'd love to see Tex slip through their fingers so Red Sawx Nation can cry in their beers that they didn't sign anyone big in the offseason while the Yankees spent a ton on pitching.

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM

It was reported in the Dallas Morning News and on local sports talk radio that Teixeira feuded with both Buck Showalter and Ron Washington. It was also reported that he didn't get along well with his teammates. A few seasons ago he did some time on the DL and during that time the Rangers played quite well despite missing their cleanup hitter. A few teammates, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that the clubhouse was a better place when Teixiera wasn't in it.

I'm not saying he's the equivalent of a Milton Bradley from a few years ago, or an Albert Belle, or even a general clubhouse cancer. All I'm saying is that I've read and heard that he's rubs his teammates the wrong way and doesn't get along well with his managers.

Thome25
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
It was reported in the Dallas Morning News and on local sports talk radio that Teixeira feuded with both Buck Showalter and Ron Washington. It was also reported that he didn't get along well with his teammates. A few seasons ago he did some time on the DL and during that time the Rangers played quite well despite missing their cleanup hitter. A few teammates, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that the clubhouse was a better place when Teixiera wasn't in it.

I'm not saying he's the equivalent of a Milton Bradley from a few years ago, or an Albert Belle, or even a general clubhouse cancer. All I'm saying is that I've read and heard that he's rubs his teammates the wrong way and doesn't get along well with his managers.

That would explain why another player who also rubs people the wrong way--Torii Hunter......loves him to death. They're struck from the same mold like two peas in a pod.

Michstate45
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Someone should just offer a 16 yr./800 M deal and just end this thing.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
If these numbers are true, the $250 for 10 years, it's insane to think what Pujols would get as a free agent. I'm assuming no less than $300 for 10 years.

Pujols will have his contract runout after 2010 but there is a $16mill club option for 2011 that we all can assume they will pick up. So fast forward to 2012, when the economy will most likely (and hopefully) be back on it's feet and booming, Pujols will turn 32 in January 2012, and that means he'll be looking for a 7-8 year deal which maybe the last contract he signs (probably not since he's an amazing hitter and will probably be around until he's 40-43) and let us take a guess at his 7 year deal.... I say it'll easily be $30mill per/$210mill total. And chances are, it won't be with the Cardinals.

hi im skot
12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
That would explain why another player who also rubs people the wrong way--Torii Hunter......loves him to death. They're struck from the same mold like two peas in a pod.

Isn't Hunter pretty well-liked by his teammates, though?

soxinem1
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm rooting for the Orioles or Nationals to get him.......I'd like to see one of the "little guys" triumph in a bidding war with the Yankees and Red Sawx for once. Besides, it would be cool to see Tex play for one of his hometown teams. Also, The Orioles may be trying to build a pretty good young core with Markakis, Jones, and possibly Tex too.

It is a nice thought to root for 'The Little Guy', but usually these types of deals end up working bad for them. They would be hamstrung with this goofy contract for a one-dimensional player. Neither team needs him as much as they need pitching and an all around better team of position players.

BAL adds Izturis to play SS. WAS added no one except minor-league FA's.

They both need more than this one guy. Neither have a decent INF, OF, or rounded pitching staff.

Honestly, I think Manny makes more sense to these two teams than Tex. No one comes to the games to see Tex, but they do to see Manny.

Manny might be a prick, but the record shows. How often has Manny played for a crappy team? Try the 20 or so games he played on the 1993 CLE team. As a regular, never.

Just like A-Rod signing with TEX, it didn't make the team any better. IMHO, 'stealing' him from NYY, BOS, LAAA or some other team wasting money will only hurt them further in the long run.

veeter
12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Watching off-season free agent sagas play out, has become one of my least favorite things in sports. Just sign a contract already.

jabrch
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
It is a nice thought to root for 'The Little Guy', but usually these types of deals end up working bad for them. They would be hamstrung with this goofy contract for a one-dimensional player. Neither team needs him as much as they need pitching and an all around better team of position players.

BAL adds Izturis to play SS. WAS added no one except minor-league FA's.

They both need more than this one guy. Neither have a decent INF, OF, or rounded pitching staff.

Honestly, I think Manny makes more sense to these two teams than Tex. No one comes to the games to see Tex, but they do to see Manny.

Manny might be a prick, but the record shows. How often has Manny played for a crappy team? Try the 20 or so games he played on the 1993 CLE team. As a regular, never.

Just like A-Rod signing with TEX, it didn't make the team any better. IMHO, 'stealing' him from NYY, BOS, LAAA or some other team wasting money will only hurt them further in the long run.

And they will tie themselves to a full NTC...and then like in the case of Peavy, the player will have them by the you-know-whats and will get to choose where he goes, and for what sort of value...

JorgeFabregas
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Teixeira is not one dimensional unless you consider hitting and fielding one dimension. He is a plus hitting, plus fielding, durable player.

soxinem1
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Teixeira is not one dimensional unless you consider hitting and fielding one dimension. He is a plus hitting, plus fielding, durable player.

Well, $22+ million a year for eight to ten seasons with a no-trade clause for a 1B to hit 30-120 is a bit of a stretch. It is not hard for a 1B to play in 150+ games. It is the least demanding physical position on the field.

I'd take Giambi for 1/4 of the cost for the same result, or Manny for only a few years. At least Manny makes the lineup better.

soxpride724
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM

One thing I wanted to add--I hate the Red Sawx. I hate 'em more than any other team including the Cubs and Yankees. I'd love to see Tex slip through their fingers so Red Sawx Nation can cry in their beers that they didn't sign anyone big in the offseason while the Yankees spent a ton on pitching.

I agree with you. I cannot stand the Sawx, I don't mind the Yankees to much, they spend tons of money and it just gets them no where. I hope the Nationals or Orioles land him.

PorkChopExpress
12-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Watching off-season free agent sagas play out, has become one of my least favorite things in sports. Just sign a contract already.

Ditto, along with long, drawn-out trade talks. Everyone else waits to see how things shake out before making moves themselves, and everything gets hung up.

jdm2662
12-19-2008, 01:45 PM
This sounds like BorASS throwing **** at the media like he normally does. We'll see what happens.

pearso66
12-19-2008, 05:20 PM

I'm with you here. If the Sox had the money, it's hard to say, but I'd love for them to give Manny a 3 year deal, play him in LF this year, and then put him at DH once Thome leaves. I consider him one of the best, if not the best hitter in the league.

russ99
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM

And Boras' game plan does not include them. They're only to be used as patsies to ratchet up demand and asking price. He probably has 2-3 acceptable teams that Tex will go to and the rest are being strung along.

I'd be willing to bet that the ownership/GM of one of them complains they were cut out of the bidding at one point...

It's a shame this sleazeball is allowed to work like this with all the lies, deceit and double dealing, but the end result is that the players end up getting their money, so I doubt it will stop anytime soon.

jabrch
12-21-2008, 12:21 PM
And Boras' game plan does not include them. They're only to be used as patsies to ratchet up demand and asking price. He probably has 2-3 acceptable teams that Tex will go to and the rest are being strung along.

I'd be willing to bet that the ownership/GM of one of them complains they were cut out of the bidding at one point...

It's a shame this sleazeball is allowed to work like this with all the lies, deceit and double dealing, but the end result is that the players end up getting their money, so I doubt it will stop anytime soon.

If owners like NYY/BOS/TEX are that unable to control themselves, they will lose negotiaions every time. Boras is doing nothing wrong. It is the owners and GMs who are poor negotiators and continue to be unwilling to call his bluff.

voodoochile
12-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Gee you mean kind of like the first 100 years of MLB except in reverse? The owners literally owned the players before FA hit in the 1970's. The players had no recourse if they didn't like their offer except to quit. I have no financial sympathy for a random group of billionaires. If they can't resist the cookies they shouldn't own a cookie jar.

cbrownson13
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Rosenthal says the Angels have withdrawn their offer and will not continue negotiations with Boras.

The Halos only first base option right now is Kendry Morales. Bringing back the redundant question, do they try to pull the trigger for Konerko? And is KW listening? Who would play first?

EDIT: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8975210/Source:-Halos-withdraw-offer-to-Teixeira

EDIT Again: Tim Brown of Yahoo says this may lead to possible trades for Dye or Teixeira

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al_Z1fFfhcRwNhDbmA4rb2MRvLYF?slug=ti-teixeira122108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
EDIT Again: Tim Brown of Yahoo says this may lead to possible trades for Dye or Teixeira

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al_Z1fFfhcRwNhDbmA4rb2MRvLYF?slug=ti-teixeira122108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The linked article mentions Dye or Konerko as possibilities. :bandance:

JermaineDye05
12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Rosenthal says the Angels have withdrawn their offer and will not continue negotiations with Boras.

The Halos only first base option right now is Kendry Morales. Bringing back the redundant question, do they try to pull the trigger for Konerko? And is KW listening? Who would play first?

EDIT: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8975210/Source:-Halos-withdraw-offer-to-Teixeira

It'd be a bold move to trade for a free agent.

cws05champ
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
It's so crazy....it just might work!!!

Domeshot17
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
makes zero sense to trade for Konerko. You can sign Dunn or Burrell for less than he makes and not have to give anything up.

turners56
12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
makes zero sense to trade for Konerko. You can sign Dunn or Burrell for less than he makes and not have to give anything up.

I doubt that. If they see that Tex can get that kind of money, they're gonna want at least 14-15 mil per.

JermaineDye05
12-21-2008, 07:18 PM

You can count Dunn out, haven't you heard? He wants to be a Cub, so he isn't going anywhere

DSpivack
12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I doubt that. If they see that Tex can get that kind of money, they're gonna want at least 14-15 mil per.

That's nice, but I doubt they get it.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Kenny Williams' phone rings...
Kenny: Hello?
Tony Reagins: Kenny, it's Tony.
Kenny: Tony?
Tony: Yes, Reagins. Angels GM.
Kenny: Oh, hey. How are you Tony?
Tony: I'm good. Listen, Kenny, you have a guy and I want him.
Kenny: Sure. Who might that guy be? Paulie? Jermaine?
Tony: No, Mark Teixeira.
Kenny: ........ Mark Teixeira?.... Ah, yeh, yeh. Well, we value him very highly. It'll take A LOT to get him.
Tony: Sure, you name it and I'll get Mr. Moreno to OK it.
Kenny: ....alright, send us Chone Figgins, Howie Kendrick, Jered Weaver, Jose Arredondo, and about $250 million. I'll take care of the rest.
Tony: Done. Who do you want the check made out to?

turners56
12-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Kenny: ........ Mark Teixeira?.... Ah, yeh, yeh. Well, we value him very highly. It'll take A LOT to get him.
Kenny: ....alright, send us Chone Figgins, Howie Kendrick, Jered Weaver, Jose Arredondo, and about $250 million. I'll take care of the rest.

:o: A dream come true!

soxrepublican
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Texiera to Sawks= Youk to Sox

cbrownson13
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Yikes, clearly wasn't paying attention while I was typing. Of course, I meant the Angels may trade for Dye and KONERKO...not Teixeira.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Texiera to Sawks= Youk to Sox

Or Youk to 3B but still on the Sawks.
Maybe Lowell to the Sox.

soltrain21
12-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Or Youk to 3B but still on the Sawks.
Maybe Lowell to the Sox.

That would be a terrible move on our part.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 08:38 PM
That would be a terrible move on our part.

Totally agree. I was just typing what I've read; that Lowell would become expandable if the BoSox acquired Teixeira.
But why do I feel like Kenny and/or Ozzie would want a guy like Lowell?

Lip Man 1
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Because he's a mid 30's, station to station slugger?

Lip

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Gee you mean kind of like the first 100 years of MLB except in reverse? The owners literally owned the players before FA hit in the 1970's. The players had no recourse if they didn't like their offer except to quit. I have no financial sympathy for a random group of billionaires. If they can't resist the cookies they shouldn't own a cookie jar.

Amen! The movie Eight Men Out shows how brutal the owners were back then. I also read a lot of other stuff about baseball back then and it was ugly. Part of me doesn't blame the 1919 White Sox for doing what they did.

PKalltheway
12-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I agree. Why would the Angels want to trade for Konerko, and give up some valuable players in the process, when they can easily sign Adam Dunn, not have to give anybody up, and get roughly the same amount of production? They wouldn't even have to risk sticking Dunn in the outfield because he's a easy 1B/DH option. He's a couple of years younger than Konerko, as well.

I can't see a trade with the Angels happening, but who knows? KW always seems to have some sort of trick up his sleeve. We shall see....

Fenway
12-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Was just watching Red Sox Weekly on WSBK and some interesting nuggets.

Anaheim is so mad at Boras that not only will they no longer deal with him they also cancelled his private ground level box behind the plate.

Boston is absolutely convinced they have the highest offer on the board. The Yankees have Manny as their target simply because they know what a Manny vs Boston is worth to YES ratings and also convinced Manny would be focused on putting up huge numbers against his former team. Could NYY wind up signing both??? Ya they could because they don't care if the baseball team loses money because YES makes enough to more than offset a huge payroll.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2008, 07:06 AM

You forgot the last line:

Kenny: My best friends call me "Cash."

cbrownson13
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Buster Olney and John Heyman reporting Yankees have signed Teixeira for 8 years, $170 mil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/12/23/teixeira/?cnn=yes