PDA

View Full Version : Labor talk news de jour

ma-gaga
05-22-2002, 10:38 AM
The Link. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47714-2002May20.html) Here is a pretty amazing interview from the former commissioner of baseball.

So the owners should hang tough and fight the union?

"Bud has trashed the union and they are not going to give him anything," Vincent said. "You got to be crazy to think you can win a strike in this environment. The day the players go out, the banks will give baseball one week to make a deal.

"And [union president] Don [Fehr] knows it. He has all the cards."

You can take that to the bank. One union member said yesterday, "I couldn't believe what Selig said. If they are really that weak, then obviously they can't take a strike. They just handed us all the leverage. What's their strategy? Or do they even have one?"

Vincent definitely has an opinion on that. And it's the same one that has been most prevalent within the union for months.

"I'm told that there isn't a plan. The owners don't know what to do. They're hoping for a miracle. And miracles don't happen," Vincent said. "But the owners still dream of these magical rollbacks by the union. They have no patience. Baseball has to do this in increments rather than attempting to do it all at once."

There is a lot more, I'm actually not all the way through it. Just thought I'd pass it along.