PDA

View Full Version : A few words from Jenks

DaveFeelsRight
12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
All copyrighted material edited out, and don't do that again.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081217&content_id=3719879&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

WhiteSox5187
12-17-2008, 09:01 PM
He still says he can throw 100 and at times last year he did reach back and throw upwards of 100...i'm not really concerned at all about his "lack" of velocity.

WhiteSox1989
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
He still says he can throw 100 and at times last year he did reach back and throw upwards of 100...i'm not really concerned at all about his "lack" of velocity. Yep. Should be more worried about location rather than velocity.

rdwj
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Jenks has become a top-tier closer. He wasn't one when he was throwing harder. His explanation makes perfect sense.

Corlose 15
12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I think one of the biggest culprits in the questioning of Jenk's velocity is Billy Koch.

Koch was throwing 100mph for Oakland then when he got here you were ecstatic if you saw him hit 94. So, when Bobby's velocity dipped a bit people probably felt some deja vu.

btrain929
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I wish there would have been some discussion on the progress of his '09 contract.

Edit: There's a separate article on that topic on the site: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081217&content_id=3720397&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kittle42
12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I think one of the biggest culprits in the questioning of Jenk's velocity is Billy Koch.

Who the hell is Jenk? I mean, really?

Brian26
It almost sounds like Bobby was indirectly responding to some earlier comments posted here on WSI.

Brian26

John Dank's teammate.

btrain929
12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
It almost sounds like Bobby was indirectly responding to some earlier comments posted here on WSI.

C'mon, B-Roney. We're not the only ones in the world who have questioned his dip in velocity....

Daver
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Koch was throwing 100mph for Oakland then when he got here you were ecstatic if you saw him hit 94. So, when Bobby's velocity dipped a bit people probably felt some deja vu.

If you are judging any pitcher strictly on velocity then you shouldn't be judging pitchers.

I wish there would have been some discussion on the progress of his '09 contract.

What difference does it make? He can't become a FA and you are not an accountant for the White Sox.

oeo
12-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Bobby showing a little edge. I like it.

btrain929
12-17-2008, 11:08 PM
What difference does it make? He can't become a FA and you are not an accountant for the White Sox.

First off, if I'm interested in an update concerning a player of the White Sox, you're not the agent of the player or a spokesman for the team, so what the **** is it to you?

Secondly, in the past, bad blood can brew if the two sides have to go to an arbitration hearing. It would obviously be great if we could avoid something like that. So it's better to hear something like "we're working closer and closer to a deal everyday" or "we're open to a long-term deal to avoid arbitration" as supposed to "we're at a stalemate as far as numbers are concerned and a hearing is unavoidable" etc.

hi im skot
12-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Bobby Jenks = TUFF.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 12:33 AM
7 years, $45 mill.

DO IT.

"It won't happen moron, the Sox don't offer pitchers more than 3-4 years" and all other wise ass remarks, shut the **** up before you open your mouths. I know most all of what you're going to say, but I'd like to see us get this guy locked up. I'm not saying sign him to a long-term deal and keep him on the team forever, if a good offer comes along which improves the team and includes Bobby, I'm all for it. I'm a fan of the White Sox first and then I'm a fan of individual players on the White Sox.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
By the way...
Don't ask me why, but the title of this thread makes me think of Bobby Jenks doing a Kenny Rogers sorta skit like they did on MadTV.

"And now... a few words from Bobby Jenks..."
"Hi! I'm Bobby Jenks and this is Jackass."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D123Kr2CU4I

guillensdisciple
12-18-2008, 01:13 AM
I am extremely happy that Bobby has dropped his velocity in order to increase command of the strike zone as well as develop some nasty third and fourth pitches. Anyone who has played the game and has pitched before knows that the most important thing to being a pitcher isn't velocity, rather it is command and the ability to deceive a hitter.

As Jenks said, people will time his heater sooner or later, he has to maintain some for of elusiveness. Bobby Jenks should be a staple of the Sox bullpen and I will be highly disappointed if he doesn't finish his career in a White Sox uniform.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Note to Bobby:

Please do start striking out a bunch more people next season because with the defense it looks like you will have out there next season, putting the ball in play is the last thing us Sox fans will want to see.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Note to Bobby:

Please do start striking out a bunch more people next season because with the defense it looks like you will have out there next season, putting the ball in play is the last thing us Sox fans will want to see.

Really? I mean besides Fields possibly at 3B, what worries you? I'm not educated on Getz's defense at 2B or how Ramirez projects at SS, but I didn't know people felt that way about them.

DumpJerry
12-18-2008, 06:38 AM
He didn't say anything that those of us who have been paying attention for the past three years did not already know.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Really? I mean besides Fields possibly at 3B, what worries you? I'm not educated on Getz's defense at 2B or how Ramirez projects at SS, but I didn't know people felt that way about them.

The OF is Owens is your starting CF will be brutal.

Fields has not shown anything but bein average at best.
Alexei will be OK, but there will still be some rust there IMO of geeting the 100% feel of playing ML SS.
Paulie has become a very average 1B with the glove.
Getz - Don't know enough yet.

That's a very suspect defensive ballclub if you ask me.

Madscout
12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
As we all know, the order goes like this...
Location, Movement, Velocity
in that order.
Nothing to see here...

Jenks4Prez
12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I think he should run for President.

Zisk77
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok, since the grammar police made an appearance the science police will make one as well. In regards to Jenks we have been using the word velocity wrong. What we should be saying is that Bobby's speed has gone down. Velocity is the measure of BOTH speed and direction. Bobby speed has gone down but his movement on his pitches has increased. So, his velocity has been both increasing and decreasing since 05' :tongue:. Confused yet?

guillensdisciple
12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Ok, since the grammar police made an appearance the science police will make one as well. In regards to Jenks we have been using the word velocity wrong. What we should be saying is that Bobby's speed has gone down. Velocity is the measure of BOTH speed and direction. Bobby speed has gone down but his movement on his pitches has increased. So, his velocity has been both increasing and decreasing since 05' :tongue:. Confused yet?

I just took Physics, my first three tests went at 50, 60, 60 percent respectively.

Got a 100 on the final, escaped with a C plus in the class.

So if you are going to ask me the difference between weight and mass or speed and velocity, I won't know the answer. Physics has already escaped my memory.

Corlose 15
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM

It's called a typo. Get over yourself.:rolleyes:

EMachine10
12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Well put.

And guillen, the difference between weight and mass.....weight is gravity's force on an object, whereas mass is the amount of matter. :cool:

Corlose 15
12-18-2008, 05:08 PM

It would really depend on the amount of speed decrease versus the improved movement to tell if his velocity has increased or decreased wouldn't it? Either way his pitches are experiencing acceleration.:cool:

kittle42
12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
It's called a typo. Get over yourself.:rolleyes:

No, thanks.

guillensdisciple
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
it would really depend on the amount of speed decrease versus the improved movement to tell if his velocity has increased or decreased wouldn't it? Either way his pitches are experiencing acceleration.:cool:

ooooooooooooooo snap!!

SBSoxFan
12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
It would really depend on the amount of speed decrease versus the improved movement to tell if his velocity has increased or decreased wouldn't it? Either way his pitches are experiencing acceleration.:cool:

They're experiencing deceleration too, but that has nothing to do with his purported drop in velocity (or speed). :D:

whitesox901
12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
No, thanks.

Y du u hat peple wit de bad engwisch?

Madscout
12-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Well put.

And guillen, the difference between weight and mass.....weight is gravity's force on an object, whereas mass is the amount of matter. :cool:

ooooooooooooooo snap!!

They're experiencing deceleration too, but that has nothing to do with his purported drop in velocity (or speed). :D:
Nerds. I like it.:D:

Nellie_Fox
12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
It's called a typo. No, it's not. A "typo," or typographical error, is when your fingers hit the wrong keys accidentally. You don't accidentally insert an apostrophe before an s.

Corlose 15
12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
No, it's not. A "typo," or typographical error, is when your fingers hit the wrong keys accidentally. You don't accidentally insert an apostrophe before an s.

Do we really need to get into this?

You most certainly could accidentally hit the apostrophe key before you hit the s and not realize it. Maybe it's not a typo in the sense that I hit a when I meant to hit s but it's still is not what I meant to type. I'm sorry that I did not properly spell check a post at 12:30 in the morning.

I'm sure as a college professor you must run into "students" who cannot spell for ****, and don't know the difference between there, their, they're, where, we're, your or you're but I assure you I'm not one of them.

It won't happen again.:worship::worship:

:cool:

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm sure as a college professor you must run into "students" who cannot spell for ****, and don't know the difference between there, their, they're, where, were, we're, your or you're...Yes I do, and sometimes I think they're the majority. It's either getting worse, or I'm getting grumpier as the years pass.

spiffie
12-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Yes I do, and sometimes I think they're the majority. It's either getting worse, or I'm getting grumpier as the years pass.
Do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?Good point.