PDA

View Full Version : Rocco Baldelli Misdiagnosed?

Zisk77
12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
According to CBSSPORSTSLINE rumor mill, Rocco does not have a mitochondrial disorder which eventually can be fatal. he has something known as channelopathy which is non-progressive and can be treated.

Great news for him.:D: Also makes him a much more valuable commodity. Of course, any contract he would sign would have to have a clause banning wifle ball :redneck.

wulfy
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.abc6.com/sports/36277274.html

Interesting development, as he was previously diagnosed with Mitochondrial Disorder, but now is considered to have a highly treatable condition.

Do I dare ask ... (ducking) ... is he now someone to consider for CF?

Does he qualify as Grindy???

guillen4life13
12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
If he's healthy he can be very good. I'd do it! And his salary demands will probably not be too high due to the past couple years. He's still young and can be a dangerous player.

hi im skot
12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Why wouldn't Tampa Bay keep him as a corner outfielder?

CashMan
12-17-2008, 11:19 AM

They don't have the payroll to take a risk like that?

pythons007
12-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Don't they have like 8 outfielders? How many outfielders have they traded away too (Hamilton, Dukes, and Young).

GAsoxfan
12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I was for signing Baldelli even with the disorder, so if this is true, I think it would be a great option for the Sox. I don't think talent has ever been an issue with this guy.

hi im skot
12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Don't they have like 8 outfielders? How many outfielders have they traded away too (Hamilton, Dukes, and Young).

Without looking it up, I don't think Hamilton was actually traded. Didn't he end up being a Rule 5 guy?

Dukes was a troublemaker that just needed to get out of town, and Young brought them Garza and Bartlett.

If they don't have room for Baldelli, sure, he can play on my team. However, he doesn't solve the CF/lead-off issue.

btrain929
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Plus they just got a RF'er from DET in the Edwin Jackson trade...

JorgeFabregas
12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Ken Bell is really excited about this development!

edit: imagine this post was in all caps.

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd like to see him on the Sox.

MrT27
12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I've wanted Baldelli for a while now

kidmccarthy
12-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I've wanted him really badly for years as well...until I looked at his stats last night. He has a bad OBP, never walks and strikes out a lot. His stolen bases are not real impressive either. Its hard to judge him though, cuz those numbers really are only from 03, and 04 the only years he was really mostly healthy. I thought he was the piece we needed for leadoff, but those are not leadoff numbers. I think jerry owens can actually get a 328 obp which is about what rocco would get as his stats say.

oeo
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Ken Bell is really excited about this development!

edit: imagine this post was in all caps.

No kidding. Someone tell Ken Bell to use his inside voice. There's no need to shout.

Railsplitter
12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
According to CBSSPORSTSLINE rumor mill, Rocco does not have a mitochondrial disorder which eventually can be fatal. he has something known as channelopathy which is non-progressive and can be treated.

Great news for him.:D: Also makes him a much more valuable commodity. Of course, any contract he would sign would have to have a clause banning wifle ball :redneck.

I hope the time lost doesn't hurt his play.

doublem23
12-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Without looking it up, I don't think Hamilton was actually traded. Didn't he end up being a Rule 5 guy?

:yup:

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
If true, this would be a hell of a way to take care of one HUGE problem the White Sox had this offseason.

CashMan
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM

Dukes was a troublemaker that just needed to get out of town, and Young brought them Garza and Bartlett.

If they don't have room for Baldelli, sure, he can play on my team. However, he doesn't solve the CF/lead-off issue.

Don't quote me on this, I think he was a rule 5 pick for the Cubs, who sold him to the Reds, who traded him to Texas. If he didn't have all his problems, could you imagine how the Devil Rays would be now?

Madscout
12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I've wanted him really badly for years as well...until I looked at his stats last night. He has a bad OBP, never walks and strikes out a lot. His stolen bases are not real impressive either. Its hard to judge him though, cuz those numbers really are only from 03, and 04 the only years he was really mostly healthy. I thought he was the piece we needed for leadoff, but those are not leadoff numbers. I think jerry owens can actually get a 328 obp which is about what rocco would get as his stats say.
Jerry Owens can't field and Jerry Owens can't hit for power, and he is an absolute beacon of suck on the basepaths and he has a candy ass arm. Rocco is the opposite of all those things.

CashMan
12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Jerry Owens can't field and Jerry Owens can't hit for power, and he is an absolute beacon of suck on the basepaths and he has a candy ass arm. Rocco is the opposite of all those things.

I think you wanna add, Jerry Owens will be 28 and has done nothing.

cbrownson13
12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Baldelli now saying he wasn't misdiagnosed, it was just the best diagnosis they could give him at the time and his new one is just a better diagnosis.

per rotoworld.com

sunofgold
12-17-2008, 02:14 PM
What type of contract is Rocco looking for? How many years? How much? Does he want to sign a short term contract to try to his improve his numbers and then sign a larger contract?

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
What type of contract is Rocco looking for? How many years? How much? Does he want to sign a short term contract to try to his improve his numbers and then sign a larger contract?

No matter what, I don't see it being too expensive. This should definitely be under consideration by the White Sox.

Tragg
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
He's not a leadoff hitter, but he's far superior to Jerry Owens in every phase of the game, including leadoff hitting, except maybe for raw speed.
But then, who isn't (other than Dewayne Wise).

chisox616
12-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Good for Rocco! That must be an ungodly feeling of relief for the guy, not only does this mean he gets to extend his LIFE...but he also gets to extend his career.

I'd be very happy with him on the Sox, let's hope he makes a great recovery...

Zisk77
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM

actually he has done both in his career. although he has seemed to have bulked up and hots for more now. I'd imagine he could still be an atypical but good lead-off hitter. he most definately can play center if the disease is treatable.

JB98
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Even before the mysterious illness, Baldelli was always an injury-plagued player.

I don't want him on the Sox, because I do not believe he can give us 140 or 150 games in the outfield. His health just won't allow for it.

He's a talented player, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the killjoy in this thread. Pass on Baldelli.

JermaineDye05
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd take him if he can stay healthy.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/img/content/season12/1201.jpg

I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positve

palehozenychicty
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Even before the mysterious illness, Baldelli was always an injury-plagued player.

I don't want him on the Sox, because I do not believe he can give us 140 or 150 games in the outfield. His health just won't allow for it.

He's a talented player, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the killjoy in this thread. Pass on Baldelli.

The lone voice of reason. Has nobody heard of the "Rocco Baldelli hamstring"?

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM

He's a better option that Owens. Owens also has had problems with injuries, but if you could pick one of them, would you not pick Baldelli?

JB98
12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
He's a better option that Owens. Owens also has had problems with injuries, but if you could pick one of them, would you not pick Baldelli?

I choose neither.

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I choose neither.

I pick Carlos Beltran, but that doesn't help much either does it?

oeo
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
The lone voice of reason. Has nobody heard of the "Rocco Baldelli hamstring"?

Is that similar to the, "Podsgroin?"

EMachine10
12-17-2008, 04:09 PM

It is possible that his injuries have been guided by the condition he has. These ion channels he is having trouble with are essential to muscle function. I'd be willing to bet that if he gets this treated and cleared up, his injuries can become a thing of the past.

JB98
12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I pick Carlos Beltran, but that doesn't help much either does it?

Basically, you're trying to pick a fight with me.

I said we should not sign Rocco Baldelli. I don't think he can help us. He's always injured. He can't be trusted to play 140-150 games in the outfield.

Then, you started talking about how crappy Jerry Owens is, and how Baldelli is better than Owens. I don't recall ever saying that I want Jerry Owens as a starting outfielder for the White Sox.

JB98
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
It is possible that his injuries have been guided by the condition he has. These ion channels he is having trouble with are essential to muscle function. I'd be willing to bet that if he gets this treated and cleared up, his injuries can become a thing of the past.

Pure speculation on your part.

I'm just not fond of counting upon players with long injury histories. Once a guy gets hurt once, he tends to get hurt again and again.

champagne030
12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
The lone voice of reason. Has nobody heard of the "Rocco Baldelli hamstring"? I have, but I have also heard of "Jerry Owens Sucks".

He's a better option that Owens. Owens also has had problems with injuries, but if you could pick one of them, would you not pick Baldelli? :nod: The thought of Owens and Wise having spots in the OF makes me puke.

I choose neither. Are you turning into a FOBA? :wink:

EMachine10
12-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Pure speculation on your part.

I'm just not fond of counting upon players with long injury histories. Once a guy gets hurt once, he tends to get hurt again and again.
It is speculation, but it's a very very educated speculation.

Lukin13
This is pure speculation, but if I was in Rocco's position, I would have traveled across the country until I found a doctor that would say there is nothing wrong with me... Only a few million on the line.

JB98
I have, but I have also heard of "Jerry Owens Sucks".

:nod: The thought of Owens and Wise having spots in the OF makes me puke.

Are you turning into a FOBA? :wink:

Certainly not, but Anderson is a better player than Owens. I've maintained that for some time. Wise is also a better player than Owens.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the hell Owens is still doing in our organization.

We already have a full platoon of CF candidates who are not capable of playing every day. Picking up Baldelli would not solve the problem. It would only add to our list of question marks.

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Basically, you're trying to pick a fight with me.

I said we should not sign Rocco Baldelli. I don't think he can help us. He's always injured. He can't be trusted to play 140-150 games in the outfield.

Then, you started talking about how crappy Jerry Owens is, and how Baldelli is better than Owens. I don't recall ever saying that I want Jerry Owens as a starting outfielder for the White Sox.

Not trying to pick a fight with you at all. :?:
This is just a healthy Sox discussion.

As much as we hate it, there is a strong possibility that Owens will be our starting CF next season. All I'm saying is that if you had to pick between Owens and Baldelli, I rather see Baldelli.

JB98
12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
It is speculation, but it's a very very educated speculation.

Pffftt....I don't know how I'm supposed to respond to that. If you say so....

BadBobbyJenks
12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Too bad we signed Wise, I would have rather ponied up for Baldelli.

12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Pffftt....I don't know how I'm supposed to respond to that. If you say so....

Dude... :?:

BadBobbyJenks
12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Dude... :?:

Sweet...:?:

12-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Sweet...:?:

Did you even read that conversation???

KRS1
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Too bad we signed Wise, I would have rather ponied up for Baldelli.

I HIGHLY doubt Wise's contract will restrict us from making any moves, regardless of whatever salary "problems" we may expect. Highly doubtful.

KRS1
12-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Did you even read that conversation???

My guess is that he just busted a bit of 'Dude Where's My Car."

Tragg
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
In Owens' case, injuries are a positive....that's his best trait.
IT saves us from Guillen's bizarre talent evaluation.