PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Farmer analysis

Soxboyrob
05-22-2002, 11:14 AM
While listening to Farmer and Rooney on the radio broadcast last night, Farmer made the comment that Wright is a better pitcher from the stretch than the windup and that that is why he keeps getting out of jams without too much damage. He went on to say he has poor rhythm throughout his windup and it's negatively effecting his control and that the stretch elimates all of that crap. Are there any starters that pitch from the stretch all the time? I know there are relievers who do. Should Danny consider this? I wonder if this was only a one game anomaly or if Wright is always better from the stretch. Any pitch mechanics gurus out there? I know delivery mechanics pretty well, but not windups.

Daver
05-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
While listening to Farmer and Rooney on the radio broadcast last night, Farmer made the comment that Wright is a better pitcher from the stretch than the windup and that that is why he keeps getting out of jams without too much damage. He went on to say he has poor rhythm throughout his windup and it's negatively effecting his control and that the stretch elimates all of that crap. Are there any starters that pitch from the stretch all the time? I know there are relievers who do. Should Danny consider this? I wonder if this was only a one game anomaly or if Wright is always better from the stretch. Any pitch mechanics gurus out there? I know delivery mechanics pretty well, but not windups.

There is a reason Ed Farmer is in the booth and not working as a pitching coach.....

Tragg
05-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by daver

There is a reason Ed Farmer is in the booth and not working as a pitching coach.....

I can figure out 1/2 of that proposition. I know why he isn't the pitching coach. But why is he in the booth?

Soxboyrob
05-22-2002, 11:56 AM

I know that Farmer spent several years, maybe 10-15 as a pitching scout for the Sox. I think he did advance scouting, as well as scouting for the draft. I've heard him make mention of having scouted several of the guys they drafted in the late '80's. That lends me reason to believe he knows his stuff, since those guys include Fernandez and McDowell and a trade for Alvarez. I don't know how much he influenced those moves or if they were Schueler decisions, but if Farmer knows anything, it's probably pitching.

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 12:40 PM

Now if we can just convince Nardi to change professions...

:D:

Garrison
05-22-2002, 02:45 PM
I think Farmer knows his pitching. His ideas/advice always sound intelligent to me. I have never seen a starter work from the stretch but it's not a bad idea. With people on base, Danny seems to work better. Perhaps it's because of the stretch? I dunno. I wouldn't rely on Nardi to come up with it. I like Farmer and Rooney as a broadcast duo. They are great and imformative and not afraid to say what they really think. Combined they way more than Hawk/DJ. I am starting to mute the tv and have the radio on during games.