PDA

View Full Version : Next Pipedream for the Cubs: Derek Lowe

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Link to Report (http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/33061)

I don't know if SI's Jon Heyman is making an observation that the Cubs should go after Derek Lowe after missing out on Jake Peavy or if he's reporting that the Cubs are persuing Lowe.

Let us turn this into a fun game; if weeks of persuing Jake Peavy = Joey Gathright, who would weeks of persuing Derek Lowe equal??

My guess is: Luis Rivas!

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 03:10 AM
Link to Report (http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/33061)

I don't know if SI's Jon Heyman is making an observation that the Cubs should go after Derek Lowe after missing out on Jake Peavy or if he's reporting that the Cubs are persuing Lowe.

Let us turn this into a fun game; if weeks of persuing Jake Peavy = Joey Gathright, who would weeks of persuing Derek Lowe equal??

My guess is: Luis Rivas!

HAHAHAHAHA

Um, I am going to take a shot in the dark and say Correy Patterson.

soxpride724
12-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Lastings Milledge.

JohnTucker0814
12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Lastings Milledge.

I'll take Lastings Milledge!

HomeFish
12-17-2008, 08:34 AM
It's not a pipe dream if you're one of the richest teams in baseball and can afford whoever.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
But the economic downturn! Teams are ready to go under! How can they do this!!!

LOL

Lip

Craig Grebeck
12-17-2008, 08:52 AM

LOL

Lip
Do you really not believe that a) there is not an economic downturn or b) many sectors in the economy, especially entertainment companies like MLB, are adversely affected by said downturn?

Really?

veeter
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you really not believe that a) there is not an economic downturn or b) many sectors in the economy, especially entertainment companies like MLB, are adversely affected by said downturn?

Really?Well, it hasn't effected the Yankees. And probably won't the cubs either. Hendry, and the current bozos, apparently still have blank checks at their disposal. Although the drunken sailor spending window is closing, I expect ridiculous offers to Bradley and maybe Lowe.

kittle42
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Really?

Well, it hasn't effected the Yankees. And probably won't the cubs either. Hendry, and the current bozos, apparently still have blank checks at their disposal. Although the drunken sailor spending window is closing, I expect ridiculous offers to Bradley and maybe Lowe.

Bingo. Quite simply, not every team is affected by it. The Yankees, Mets, and Cubs immediately come to mind.

oeo
12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, it hasn't effected the Yankees. And probably won't the cubs either. Hendry, and the current bozos, apparently still have blank checks at their disposal. Although the drunken sailor spending window is closing, I expect ridiculous offers to Bradley and maybe Lowe.

The Cubs couldn't follow through on the Peavy deal because they had payroll constraints. They couldn't even work out a one year deal with Kerry Wood.

Unless they unload somebody, they're not signing anyone else.

jabrch
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
The Cubs couldn't follow through on the Peavy deal because they had payroll constraints. They couldn't even work out a one year deal with Kerry Wood.

Unless they unload somebody, they're not signing anyone else.

That's half true. They could have done it - they just didn't want to give up the package that the Pads wanted. To do it, they'd have had to eat half of Marquis' contract, trade Derosa, Vitters, and three other prospects. That was too much for them to give up. The had the ability to fit Peavy in with moving half of Marquis' contract.

veeter
12-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Unless they unload somebody, they're not signing anyone else.You could be right. Or Hendry really didn't want to part with the guys Towers wanted. Hendry is very strange like that. He's so scared to give prospects up. Not long ago Pie was untouchable, so was Ceda last year. Kenny would have pulled the trigger on that deal quicker than you can imagine. Hendry is ****ing brutal.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
"Baseball is now a 6 1/2 billion dollar industry" - Commissioner Bud Selig.

Lip

kittle42
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
"Baseball is now a 6 1/2 billion dollar industry" - Commissioner Bud Selig.

When's New York going to start sharing its $5 billion slice?

btrain929
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM

I thought it was because Sean Marshall was just too damn good to trade away?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
It's not a pipe dream if you're one of the richest teams in baseball and can afford whoever.

I'm not saying they can't afford it, I'm saying look at the names that the Cubs have been HEAVILY linked to over the past few years and none of them have been acquired by the Cubs yet. A week ago it was Peavy, last offseason it was Brian Roberts, 2-3 years ago it was Rafael Furcal. The team just doesn't know how to do business privately (Hendry should contact Kenny) and seems to WANT their inquiries to be out in the public. Maybe as a way to show their fans "hey, we're trying"? But that's not necessary because they've made some very big acquisitions in the last few years (Soriano, Harden, etc.).

Lip Man 1
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Kittle:

It apparently does, they pay a ton in luxury tax and revenue sharing money.

Lip

cws05champ
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I think the Yankees are unique but even more so they are in a unique situation this year with several factors affecting why they can go out and spend like a "drunken sailor":

1) They have $88M coming off the books from last year
2) They are moving into a new stadium which they probably sold the majority of the season tix and sky boxes before the downturn really worsened. You know when a team moves into a new stadium they start pumping the fans for contributions the year before.
- If they have a full year of the increased revenue from the new stadium they could possibly be banking on an economic revival within the next 15 months in order to sustain this level of spending.
3) In 2010 they have more $$ coming off the books (Damon, Matsui etc) and if they need to cut back then from the economic downturn, they can just not replenish those high $ contracts, and go with youth at those positions.

No doubt the Red Cubs, Cubs, Mets have additional revenue drivers that a lot of other teams don't but I don't think they are immune to the downturn in the next year like the Yanks are. The Mets new stadium is sponsored by a company that is getting a government bailout for Christ's sake.

The Cubs in particular have a lot of back loaded contracts that are coming to roost soon. And if they for some reason don't draw as well as they have in the past, they may be in trouble.

forte
12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
This happens every year, all the big free agents are linked to the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox and Mets.

LOL

Lip

Why do you always bold the teal??

Lip Man 1
12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Why does it bother you?

Lip