PDA

View Full Version : White Sox lose 2 big corporate sponsors

Fenway
12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
In the Tribune today there was a sidebar in how the local teams are doing in the recession. Brooks was quoted as saying that while Chevy will be back, Pontiac will no longer sponsor Fundamentals in left and Bank of America has decided to cancel their big ad in right that they took over from Lasalle.

Brooks said ticket sales are holding steady and his feeling is people will be staying home on vacation next year and will continue to go to games.

The Cubs said one of the reason they hiked ticket prices was to offset loss of corporate advertising.

jdm2662
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure my company will cut theirs as well. They already cut theirs for the Bulls.

jabrch
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
OUCH

Any idea how much lost revenue that is? I wonder what they will be able to get in terms of reselling that off to someone else? Toys R Us Fundamentals Deck? Gap Fundamentals? Who knows....

oeo
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
*waits for the first "crying poor" post*

doublem23
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
WSI Fundamentals Deck... I like the ring to that.

:cool:

voodoochile
12-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Holy crap you mean we really are in a recession and the Sox really are being negatively impacted by said recession? Whoda thunk it...:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
They are being impacted for now.

Let's wait and see before passing final judgment though. They may get someone else to take the place of those who left... no?

Lip

Fenway
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Holy crap you mean we really are in a recession and the Sox really are being negatively impacted by said recession? Whoda thunk it...:rolleyes:

Broadcasters are getting nervous. Almost 25 percent of sports advertising comes from the car companies and there is a sense the new owners of Budweiser may cut back heavily in advertising.

Arena Football was the first to fall and it looks like the indoor soccer and lacrosse leagues are next to go.

This is not a White Sox problem it will hurt everybody. John Hancock has cancelled their huge ad at Fenway for example.

SOXfnNlansing
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM

We better sell a bunch of WSI t-shirts to pay for that!

jabrch
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
They are being impacted for now.

Let's wait and see before passing final judgment though. They may get someone else to take the place of those who left... no?

Lip

They DEFINITELY will. But probably not at the same rates that they got when these contracts were signed...no? The signs probably won't go blank. The revenue they generate will fall.

whitesox901
12-16-2008, 05:05 PM
We better sell a bunch of WSI t-shirts to pay for that!

I knew my idea would take off! :D:

jabrch
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting....

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/08_cp_brochure.pdf

I don't know how their business is - but I'll bet Ownacondo.com isn't doing great right now. Will they be back next year?

Lip Man 1
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Jab:

That remains to be seen. We'll have to see how it all shakes out.

--------------------

In my opinion, again strickly mine...calling the Arena League, Pro indoor soccer and pro lacrosse, "major leagues" is stretching the definition of that term.

Half the folks who are sports fans don't even know those groups exist in the first place. Culling them is actually beneficial in my opinion. More to go around for the "real" major leagues...MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL.

Lip

Bob G
12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if my company (Motorola) backs out on the center field ad whenever the multi-year deal expires.

soxinem1
12-16-2008, 06:05 PM
These guys are in a recession-proof business. We can try them:

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/285477_main.jpg

Or these guys:

http://www.marylandfuneralhome.com/HaightFuneral/MarylandFuneralHomeChapel1.JPG

I can here Gene Honda now: 'The official bond poster and bereavement counselor of your Chicago White Sox!!'

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Given this, and given the state of the economy, doesn't it make sense for the Sox to get rid of expensive players who for whatever reason don't produce much, like Vazquez, Swisher, Cabrera, Crede and Uribe?

Other than Crede's and Uribe's defense, these five players' production can be replaced by much cheaper and younger players.

jabrch
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Given this, and given the state of the economy, doesn't it make sense for the Sox to get rid of expensive players who for whatever reason don't produce much, like Vazquez, Swisher, Cabrera, Crede and Uribe?

Other than Crede's and Uribe's defense, these five players' production can be replaced by much cheaper and younger players.

And then if things are looking good as we move through the season, either we may have more revenues than planned, or a contending team, and we may be able to find someone else looking to unload salary. We may have the chips to trade, and the funds available to pick up a bargain?

Who knows?

And still - at this time, we are not much (if any) worse than 2008 and our opposition is not much (if any) better than they were in 08.

It could be worse...imagine taking on a big deal, getting hit by a bad economy, having to cut payroll, and the only way to do it is to either eat a ton of a players salary to unload him (the Rangers had to pay about half of A-Rods deal to unload the other half, right?) or to give up a legitimate prospect or a player under contract cheap with someone...or take on someone elses garbage and hope it works out?

dickallen15
12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
They could have saved $5 million and stayed in Tucson.

Frontman
12-16-2008, 07:06 PM
This is why I don't think the Sox (or anyone for that matter) should go nuts and on a spending spree. They shouldn't go "operating in the red" because who knows who will pull their advertising tomorrow.

Baseball has survived worse; it will survive again. But that doesn't mean the owners and GMs and such shouldn't be smart with their spending.

DumpJerry
12-16-2008, 07:20 PM

I can see it now:

1. Dunk tank with a cut-out of Scott Borass.
2. Have your baseball skills critiqued by some of the more "negative" posters at WSI (no names mentioned right now).
3. Ask-a-Mod. The Mod will sit behind a screen like in a Confessional so that you will not recognize us while walking around the park (for our safety).
4. The "Kenny, you gotta do this" Whiteboard where you can post your brilliant idea(s) for Kenny to implement.
5. Email inbox for Brooks.
6. The Dark Cloud Room for when the Sox are up 10-0 in the 8th and you still don't feel good about the outcome of the game....

whitesox901
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I can see it now:

2. Have your baseball skills critiqued by some of the more "negative" posters at WSI (no names mentioned right now).
3. Ask-a-Mod. The Mod will sit behind a screen like in a Confessional so that you will not recognize us while walking around the park (for our safety).
4. The "Kenny, you gotta do this" Whiteboard where you can post your brilliant idea(s) for Kenny to implement.
6. The Dark Cloud Room for when the Sox are up 10-0 in the 8th and you still don't feel good about the outcome of the game....

I love it! :D:

soxrepublican
12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
John Hancock has cancelled their huge ad at Fenway for example.

Whoa, thats been there for years.

champagne030
12-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I used to work for Van den Bergh Foods when they occupied their signage during the early and mid 90's (I believe LaSalle and now BoA have occupied that space in recent years). The cost was $150K per year.

DumpJerry
12-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Let's start a company called "Thome: Hit it Here!" and buy the Bank of America space.

cws05champ
12-16-2008, 08:18 PM
These guys are in a recession-proof business. We can try them:

Or these guys:

http://www.marylandfuneralhome.com/HaightFuneral/MarylandFuneralHomeChapel1.JPG

I can here Gene Honda now: 'The official bond poster and bereavement counselor of your Chicago White Sox!!'
It wouldn' make much sense without Boone Logan on the club now....

chisoxfanatic
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I say they just put a huge out-of-town scoreboard in place of the billboard.

anewman35
12-16-2008, 08:44 PM

So instead of just losing the ad revenue, you think they should go and spend more money on top of that? I'd love a new scoreboard, but that's just not very sensible.

veeter
12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
They could have saved $5 million and stayed in Tucson.Or never left Sarasota. I love Sarasota.

RedPinStripes
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I'll bet they find someone to take those two spots. Uncle Jerry won't let that space to to waste. No worries.

jabrch
12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll bet they find someone to take those two spots. Uncle Jerry won't let that space to to waste. No worries.

I don't think there is any doubt that they will sell the space...the question is at what price.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Forget a new scoreboard, I'd be happy with our current one as long as it updates a lot quicker. That thing is usually 1-2 innings behind!

And come on guys, this isn't a surprise. It may widen your eyes to hear John Hancock not sponsoring the Red Sox anymore because they have been in Fenway forever. But it's a sign of change and a sign of companies doing everything they can to cut costs. Unfortunately, advertising is usually hit hard during economic crisises.

I for one laugh at all these people who are :whiner: on CNN and other news stations worrying that the world will come to an end. Especially in America. This country is too strong, too smart, too advanced to fail. Unfortunately it is also full of greed and it needed a wake up call like this (and I still think the worst is yet to come) to expose those greedy bastards and to bring in new policies and regulations to lessen the chance of this ever happening again.

We'll be fine my friends. We'll be fine.

LoveYourSuit
12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know how this is a story.

Those signs have been revolving with different corporations over the years, and on the average at least one is replaced per season. This is just being magnified because of the economy.

I think there will be plenty of corporations lining up to snag those ad spots at the Cell. The same goes for the Hancock at Fenway.

hawkjt
12-17-2008, 01:01 AM
The price will drop significantly,tho.
Lean times ahead for america...everyone will have to tighten their belt.

MisterB
12-17-2008, 01:41 AM
The price will drop significantly,tho.

:hawk
"Cinch it up and strap it down!"

oeo
12-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Forget a new scoreboard, I'd be happy with our current one as long as it updates a lot quicker. That thing is usually 1-2 innings behind!

That's not the case anymore...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 02:45 AM
That's not the case anymore...

I was there just last season, White Sox vs. Rockies (the game Taveras stole 5 bases), I looked up at the scoreboard checking out the score to a game and it was 2-1 in the 3rd. I then went on the internet on my phone and saw the same game on ESPN.com having the score of 4-2 in the 5th.

It may not happen as often as before, but it happens.

oeo
12-17-2008, 02:49 AM
I was there just last season, White Sox vs. Rockies (the game Taveras stole 5 bases), I looked up at the scoreboard checking out the score to a game and it was 2-1 in the 3rd. I then went on the internet on my phone and saw the same game on ESPN.com having the score of 4-2 in the 5th.

It may not happen as often as before, but it happens.

I was there the final Saturday of the season, checking the Twins score. As soon as it went final, the scoreboard updated within a minute or so.

Maybe they only make an effort for the "important" games. :dunno: Personally, if a game matters that much to me that I need it updated by the second, I'll just pull out my phone. Can't say that comes up very often, though.

BV2005
12-17-2008, 02:51 AM
I can see it now:

Don't forget the Jay Mariotti dart board.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 02:57 AM
I was there the final Saturday of the season, checking the Twins score. As soon as it went final, the scoreboard updated within a minute or so.

Maybe they only make an effort for the "important" games. :dunno: Personally, if a game matters that much to me that I need it updated by the second, I'll just pull out my phone. Can't say that comes up very often, though.

That probably was the case. People would really notice and really be pissed if the Twins score was being delayed 1-2 innings that late in the season during a division battle.

I think with the technology we have these days, asking for a scoreboard to be quicker isn't asking for much.

The manual scoreboard at Wrigley seems like it updates quicker and no teal needed.

oeo
12-17-2008, 03:44 AM
That probably was the case. People would really notice and really be pissed if the Twins score was being delayed 1-2 innings that late in the season during a division battle.

I think with the technology we have these days, asking for a scoreboard to be quicker isn't asking for much.

The manual scoreboard at Wrigley seems like it updates quicker and no teal needed.

It sounds like the scoreboard at the Cell is operated manually, as well.

Frater Perdurabo
12-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Don't forget the Jay Mariotti dart board.

Maybe the Sox can sell advertising on the urinal cakes?

Steelrod
12-17-2008, 06:56 AM
This is why I don't think the Sox (or anyone for that matter) should go nuts and on a spending spree. They shouldn't go "operating in the red" because who knows who will pull their advertising tomorrow.

Baseball has survived worse; it will survive again. But that doesn't mean the owners and GMs and such shouldn't be smart with their spending.
I wonder if current advertising corporations and suite owners will be able to pay their bills. Corps in danger of bankruptsy will remove suites from their budget.

dickallen15
12-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Sponsors and adverstisers are struggling and jumping ship, the fans are hurting and won't be coming out as often (although the Sox will charge them more to do so) the White Sox must be on the brink of financial collapse. I wonder how they came up with the $5 million to bribe Tucson out of their spring training lease.

doublem23
12-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Sponsors and adverstisers are struggling and jumping ship, the fans are hurting and won't be coming out as often (although the Sox will charge them more to do so) the White Sox must be on the brink of financial collapse. I wonder how they came up with the $5 million to bribe Tucson out of their spring training lease.

:tealtutor:

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-17-2008, 07:28 AM

:?: Tell me you forgot a font color change.

DumpJerry
12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
White Sox=Arena Football League.

DumpJerry
12-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Maybe the Sox can sell advertising on the urinal cakes?
I hope it won't be to the Cubs.

The lines at the mens' restrooms will be too long.

Frater Perdurabo
12-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I hope it won't be to the Cubs.

The lines at the mens' restrooms will be too long.

Their logo is the perfect shape.

The Hawks would be smart to install Red Wings urinal pucks at the United Center. :tongue:

soxpride724
12-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't know how this is a story.

Those signs have been revolving with different corporations over the years, and on the average at least one is replaced per season. This is just being magnified because of the economy.

I think there will be plenty of corporations lining up to snag those ad spots at the Cell. The same goes for the Hancock at Fenway.

Yeah I have been waiting for them to switch it up at the Cell, they were about due for a change.

kittle42
12-17-2008, 08:42 AM

I'm actually planning on getting fatter.

Frater Perdurabo
12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm actually planning on getting fatter.

I've always wanted to shop in a big and tall men's store. And I know I'm not growing any taller...

Mr.1Dog
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I've always wanted to shop in a big and tall men's store. And I know I'm not growing any taller...

"Well come on down. We have miles and miles of fabric."

whitesox901
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
IMO, I think it would be cool to have a big SlipKnoT banner out there somewhere:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/illinois-chicago-us-cellular-field.jpg
:Rocker::Rocker::Rocker::Rocker::Rocker:

But I know theres 0% chance of that ever happening :tongue:

EDIT: Should of used a newer pic of the Cell

soltrain21
12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
IMO, I think it would be cool to have a big SlipKnoT banner out there somewhere:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/illinois-chicago-us-cellular-field.jpg

Let's go with no on that one.

hi im skot
12-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Give me Stryper or give me death.

jabrch
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM

If they are willing to pay full price for the sign, I don't care who they are.

soxinem1
12-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I guess it is a good thing we got all the money up front from US Cellular for their sponsorship of the park.

Could you imagine if we implemented a renovation on a yearly paid basis?

We might have permanent green and blue section seats, the upper deck half finished......

areilly
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Give me Stryper or give me death.

I always thought those two were the same thing.

hi im skot
12-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I always thought those two were the same thing.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

:redneck

soxrepublican
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Or never left Sarasota. I love Sarasota.

I pray that they move it back to Fla every day. Damn Jerry & Eddy had to move it to AZ by ther vacation homes.

soxrepublican
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Ah, no.

jabrch
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I pray that they move it back to Fla every day. Damn Jerry & Eddy had to move it to AZ by ther vacation homes.

LOL...yeah - exactly what their motivation was.

DoItForDanPasqua
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
The Sox need to start a Ponzi scheme, quick.

soxrepublican
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
LOL...yeah - exactly what their motivation was.

The statement that I stated is true. It was well known they stayed there in winter, and they could keep a better eye on the team and be closer to family. That was the main reason they moved to AZ.

thomas35forever
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't worry, folks. With one of our own coming into the White House, the Sox will not have to worry about financial troubles for at least the next four years.:redneck

I want Mags back
12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
The statement that I stated is true. It was well known they stayed there in winter, and they could keep a better eye on the team and be closer to family. That was the main reason they moved to AZ.

or Arizona is a better place to train :rolleyes:

doublem23
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Why?

DumpJerry
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't worry, folks. With one of our own coming into the White House, the Sox will not have to worry about financial troubles for at least the next four years.:redneck

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the mass exodus of MLB teams from Florida in the 1990's to Arizona.

Why?
Because pitchers cannot throw breaking stuff. It helps the batters and the pitchers cannot be properly evaluated. But, as we all know, pitching is overrated in its value to a team.

ChiSoxIn06
12-17-2008, 07:46 PM

make that a lamb of god or pantera banner and i'd be sold

whitesox901
12-18-2008, 12:05 AM
make that a lamb of god or pantera banner and i'd be sold

I could do Lamb of God

Frontman
12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I could do Lamb of God

Don't bring religion into it.

duke of dorwood
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
There will be some bank on that sign just dying to have their ATM's in the park-

Rocky Soprano
12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
There will be some bank on that sign just dying to have their ATM's in the park-

Are they pulling all of their sponsorship or just that sign?
I think its only the sign, so they will still have their atm's in the park.

Law11
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Off topic a bit but isnt Citi bank who the mets new park is being named after.
Arent they part of the bail out package? And if so why is the govt giving them money to in essence pay the mets for name rights..

Sorry if Im wrong here but someone mentioned this in passing to me the other day.

jabrch
12-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Arent they part of the bail out package? And if so why is the govt giving them money to in essence pay the mets for name rights..

Sorry if Im wrong here but someone mentioned this in passing to me the other day.

Nowhere in the bailout plan does it say that banks can not engage in marketing...it sucks - but it is what it is.

DumpJerry
12-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Nowhere in the bailout plan does it say that banks can not engage in marketing...it sucks - but it is what it is.
Let's take bailout talk to www.wsiforums.com, our political site (in fact, there are threads about it already there).

Re: Bank of America. I'm sure their ATMs will still be at Comiskey. After all, they are the "official" bank of MLB.

doublem23
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Re: Bank of America. I'm sure their ATMs will still be at Comiskey. After all, they are the "official" bank of MLB.

Eh, not neccessarily, not every team has BoA ATMs at their park.

dickallen15
12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I predict Harris takes over. They have the United Center.

Rocky Soprano
12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
I predict Harris takes over. They have the United Center.

I wish, I work for Harris.

anewman35
12-18-2008, 04:27 PM

There are plenty of things are are the "official" whatever of MLB, but teams have different "official" ones. Example: Pepsi is the "official soft drink of MLB", but Coca-Cola is the "official soft drink of the Boston Red Sox" (and many others), and those teams serve only Coke, not Pepsi.

DumpJerry
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
I should clarify. LaSalle was the "official" bank of the White Sox while Bank of America was the Cubs' and MLB's "official" bank. When BoA bought out LaSalle, they became the White Sox bank, too.

It wasn't too long ago that the ATMs at Comiskey were from Bank One (Chase).

Bottom line: I would not worry about whether or not there will be ATMs there, they will be there. The only issue is whose ATMs are there (fees).

4 points
12-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Mod edit: I made a racist comment, now I have to wait seven days before I can post again.

champagne030
12-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Bottom line: I would not worry about whether or not there will be ATMs there, they will be there. The only issue is whose ATMs are there (fees).

You can book there will be ATM's, but I bet the sign and machines were a package deal.

I want Mags back
12-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I should clarify. LaSalle was the "official" bank of the White Sox while Bank of America was the Cubs' and MLB's "official" bank. When BoA bought out LaSalle, they became the White Sox bank, too.

It wasn't too long ago that the ATMs at Comiskey were from Bank One (Chase).

The official bank has jumped around a lot. It was 5th/3rd in '03.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dJkL2n_p2qM/Rnxa_kNS76I/AAAAAAAAAGY/-loocQ1AX40/2003+All+Star+Game+US+Cellular+Field4.JPG

champagne030
12-20-2008, 10:47 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dJkL2n_p2qM/Rnxa_kNS76I/AAAAAAAAAGY/-loocQ1AX40/2003+All+Star+Game+US+Cellular+Field4.JPG

You mean 5th Turd. :redneck

soxrepublican
12-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Yeah. No big deal. We have had many banks. Bank of America, Ameriquest, 5th 3rd, Bank One, all throught the 2000s