PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas

beasly213
12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I haven't heard much on him during the offseason. I'm assuming he is going to retire? I'd at least like him to. This guy is a for sure hall of famer and needs his number retired with the White Sox some day.

I was looking at his stats today and it got me thinking about him..

.301/ .419 OBP/ 521 HR/ 1704 RBI/ 1667 BB

And I really hope he retires so his career stats can say he hit over .300. If he plays any longer there is a good chance that number will go down below the .300 mark and for as great a hitter as Frank was I think he needs to go out with these numbers.

Looking back on Frank and the fact that he did it clean he should go down as one of the best hitters the game has ever seen.

So if it is not yet official what do you guys think? Should he retire?

Heffalump
12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I love Frank, but I hope he retires. He has had an awesome career.

I also agree about the batting average. It would be cool to keep it above the .300 mark for his career !

Thome25
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
He was my favorite player on the Sox since he came up to the bigs in 1990. His antics and big mouth wore thin on me after a while and his constant whining about money was getting old but, I still love Frank and he'll always be one of my favorite all-time White Sox.

voodoochile
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I think it will be forced on him. Who's going to offer him millions of dollars a year with that ankle. He missed over half the season last year. I just can't see someone taking the risk on him.

League minimum with incentive clauses based on AB and production is the best he is going to see, IMO.

Whatever comes next, good luck to the big man. He was Sox baseball for many years...

ChiSoxFan81
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
If he has anything left in the tank, I'd like to see him give it another shot. I know he's said he'd like to stick around and maybe hit 600 HRs, but that's not going to happen, and sadly only because of injuries or he'd already be there. He's in the HOF already, so he shouldn't worry about that. The sooner he retires, the sooner I can start planning my trip to Cooperstown.

DaveFeelsRight
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
he has over might 500 homeruns (who knows, he might try and get 600) a world series ring. be better make it.

sox1970
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
It's going to be tough for Frank to land a DH job. It's probably the end. Considering he was a .321 lifetime hitter after 2000, it would suck if it went under .300. It's probably time.

btrain929
12-16-2008, 12:20 PM
he has over might 500 homeruns (who knows, he might try and get 600) a world series ring. be better make it.

Is that english?

palehozenychicty
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Frank should sign a one-day contract with the Sox and relax for good. I love him, but it's time.

I want Mags back
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Frank should sign a one-day contract with the Sox and relax for good. I love him, but it's time.

no, he shouldn't. There is nothing more pathetic than these 1 day contracts to end with a team. We know he's ours, we don't need record of it with this sillyness.

Jpgr91
12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
USA today had a feature on Frank Thomas about the time the winter meetings got underway in Vegas. There was a picture of frank playing poker at the Venetian; Frank won the poker tournament. He said that he still wants to play. It seemed like he was talking to teams trying to get a contract.

On an unrelated side note, the Tournament Director at the V is from Tinley Park, he is also a huge Sox fan. IMHO, the tourney obviously was rigged.

soxinem1
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
My first WSI posting was about Big Frank.

I saw his first Major League RBI, hit, and HR in person.

We are the same age.

And like many have posted, that .300+ average is hanging by a thread.

Mickey Mantle played a season too long and dropped just under .300; Frank should not make the same mistake.

We all know he did it the right way.

So will the voters.

We'll see you in six years Frank, with that HOF bust in White Sox pinstripes!!!!

palehozenychicty
12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
no, he shouldn't. There is nothing more pathetic than these 1 day contracts to end with a team. We know he's ours, we don't need record of it with this sillyness.

Those contracts are a gesture of goodwill to the public. Nothing more, nothing less. The stats and memories, as you said, already determine his value and team affiliation. It's funny that you have such a strong opinion about it. I never knew that anyone cared. :redneck

My whole point was that he's finished. He can't contribute at a high level anymore.

chisox616
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm a sophomore in college now, meaning I grew up with Frank Thomas and the Sox of the 90s...and wow. Yeah, my dad grew up a Sox fan, but I really think I owe Big Hurt for my current Sox fanhood. I was surrounded by Cubs fans growing up and I'd probably be one now if not for his homers. Really, I can't thank him enough. But he really just needs to retire now...

And I'm all for the 1 day contract thing. I mean yeah, no one is gonna remember Big Hurt playing for the A's/Jays, but I'd rather see him retire as a Sox. Probably not gonna happen but I can dream.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Count me among those who would like to see him bury the hatchet with KW, sign a 1-day contract with the Sox and retire.

With the loss of sponsorships, the worsening economy, and an uncertain outlook for 2009, having a "Frank Thomas Day" at the Cell with a number retirement and a statue unveiling ceremony would be a great PR boost.

DaveFeelsRight
12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Is that english?who knows

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I love Frank, but I hope he retires. He has had an awesome career.

I also agree about the batting average. It would be cool to keep it above the .300 mark for his career !

I believe he is one of seven players to have a .300 AVG and 500 HR's.

WHILEPITCH
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I've always wanted the greats to quit when they're ready.

While feel forced to quit what you're doing SOLELY because your career BA might drop two points?

If you're gonna quit, have other reasons.

If I was a baseball player, I would want to milk that for as long as I found it fun. I'd hate for anyone to put pressure on me to do otherwise.

Give it all you have for as LONG as you can, and go into retirement with no regrets. In truth, that applies a lot wider than sports.

gregoriop
12-16-2008, 10:18 PM

While feel forced to quit what you're doing SOLELY because your career BA might drop two points?

If I was a baseball player, I would want to milk that for as long as I found it fun. I'd hate for anyone to put pressure on me to do otherwise.

Give it all you have for as LONG as you can, and go into retirement with no regrets. In truth, that applies a lot wider than sports.

I completely, 100% agree with you. If I were a baseball player, especially one with nothing really to prove, why not do it 'til you can't? Maybe with the injuries lately, he can't...but he should decide that.

Mickey Mantle played a season too long and dropped just under .300; Frank should not make the same mistake.

Seriously, how often do people talk about Mickey Mantle and say "oh, but he didn't even hit .300!" This is pretty silly as far as Mickey Mantle's "mistakes" go.

WhiteSoxJunkie
12-22-2008, 03:36 PM
He'll be 41 in May and his large frame is taking its toll on him. He had his final great season in 06 finishing 4th I believe in MVP. I think his time as a major contributor is over. He should probably hang it up.

voodoochile
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM

It's especially true in sports though. I remember having discussions with my Dad when MJ came back and played for Washington (edit: Must have been Chicago round two, Dad was gone before MJ ever played for Washington). He would say, "poor MJ so lonely for the spotlight he can't give up playing a kids game."

Then I pointed out that any professional athlete has to not only love what they are doing but work so hard at it that it becomes all consuming and that they (unlike musicians, actors, lawyers and all other "non-athletic professions") have a limited time to do that which they love and have worked so hard to be good at. Like it or not, the average professional athlete is lucky to get a 20 year career. Sure they are well paid for their efforts, but it's 20 and done - good luck with the rest of your life, hope you find something else to do that you love as much.

As someone who was forced to give up a career I loved too early - due to hearing loss - I have nothing but empathy for people who want to keep on doing that which they love but cannot for physical reasons. Play as long and as well as you can don't leave until someone gives you the boot. Rage rage against the dying of the light...:D:

SOX ADDICT '73
12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I too love Frank, but I also believe he's been pretty stats-oriented over his career. One example: I went to the season finale in 1995 or 1996, when the Sox were well out of contention, and saw Frank hit his 40th home run of the year (a pretty significant milestone before the Scammy/Big Mack/Barroids era). To watch him carry on the way he did, you'd think it was the bottom of the 9th, game 7 of the World Series.

Frank has always prided himself in being a hitter, not just a slugger. My guess is that he wants to end his career batting .300+, and that he's been watching that career avg. plummet over the past few seasons like the rest of us.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Frank is one of 14 players in history to have won a batting title and hit over 400 home runs. Everyone else from that list, is in the Hall, but Frank, Bonds and Sheffield.

Lip

kjhanson
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I too love Frank, but I also believe he's been pretty stats-oriented over his career. One example: I went to the season finale in 1995 or 1996, when the Sox were well out of contention, and saw Frank hit his 40th home run of the year (a pretty significant milestone before the Scammy/Big Mack/Barroids era). To watch him carry on the way he did, you'd think it was the bottom of the 9th, game 7 of the World Series.

Yeah, because when you're out of contention you should just stand up there and let three strikes go past you, or try to hit a single. I hate players that play hard no matter the situation, especially when people are spending money to watch them perform. How selfish.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, because when you're out of contention you should just stand up there and let three strikes go past you, or try to hit a single. I hate players that play hard no matter the situation, especially when people are spending money to watch them perform. How selfish.
All I'm saying is that Frank was conscious of his stats, not that he was wrong for celebrating the home run. I'm sure Jermaine Dye, standing at third with one out on the last day of the season in 2005, was aware that Konerko was sitting at 99 RBI. He ill-advisedly tagged on a shallow fly ball, giving Paulie an even 100 for the year.

My point is that the players know these things. Frank Thomas knew that he'd just hit #40, and that it was a big deal as an individual accomplishment. I presume, therefore, that Frank is very much aware that his career batting average, also an individual accomplishment, is dangerously close to dipping below the "Juan Pierre Line."

DSpivack
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Frank is one of 14 players in history to have won a batting title and hit over 400 home runs. Everyone else from that list, is in the Hall, but Frank, Bonds and Sheffield.

Lip

Gary Sheffield won a batting title? :scratch:

doublem23
12-22-2008, 07:00 PM

In 1992, his breakout season with the Padres, he hit .330.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_1992_t.shtml

SouthSideLove
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't think it's so much a question of his desire to play, as much as it is his ability to perform at the MLB level. I would rather he retire, and not drag out his career with unneeded injuries and strikeouts. I grew up watching the "Good Guys Wear Black" team, and had my own "Big Hurt" kicks. I would like to remember the Frank Thomas of my childhood, not the has-been, journeyman he has unfortunately become.

RKMeibalane
12-22-2008, 10:28 PM

Why does this surprise you? His career batting average is .292, a respectable number.

Huisj
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
In 1992, his breakout season with the Padres, he hit .330.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_1992_t.shtml

I remember a lot of talk that summer about him chasing the triple crown. He finished 2 HR and 9 RBI short of the league leaders.

champagne030
12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I remember a lot of talk that summer about him chasing the triple crown. He finished 2 HR and 9 RBI short of the league leaders.

This is what I remember about Sheffield......

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/01/30/amd_syringe.jpg

DSpivack
12-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Why does this surprise you? His career batting average is .292, a respectable number.

Not so much his abilities as his being an total *******. Then again, Bonds won one, too.

Tekijawa
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Only 2 points Higher than Alexei Ramirez career average!

NLaloosh
12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I'd love to have Frank Thomas back on the Sox! He could umm...we could have him ugh..ugh...umm...never mind.

Oblong
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Then I pointed out that any professional athlete has to not only love what they are doing but work so hard at it that it becomes all consuming and that they (unlike musicians, actors, lawyers and all other "non-athletic professions") have a limited time to do that which they love and have worked so hard to be good at. Like it or not, the average professional athlete is lucky to get a 20 year career. Sure they are well paid for their efforts, but it's 20 and done - good luck with the rest of your life, hope you find something else to do that you love as much.

As someone who was forced to give up a career I loved too early - due to hearing loss - I have nothing but empathy for people who want to keep on doing that which they love but cannot for physical reasons. Play as long and as well as you can don't leave until someone gives you the boot. Rage rage against the dying of the light...:D:

I agree and also think a big part of is just the competition itself. It's why guys like Jordan and Tiger Woods like to gamble so much. It's not about making money, it's the competition. People that reach such high levels of accomplishment have something extra that drives them that most other people do not have. It's why you see lots of people who are mega rich continue to work long hours at a job or task. What got them there in the first place doesn't allow them to just not quit and sit still. It's not because they want more money or even want to accomplish more things. It's the challenge.

I bet MJ and Tiger Woods would have the same fire in a game checkers.

RKMeibalane
12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree and also think a big part of is just the competition itself. It's why guys like Jordan and Tiger Woods like to gamble so much. It's not about making money, it's the competition. People that reach such high levels of accomplishment have something extra that drives them that most other people do not have. It's why you see lots of people who are mega rich continue to work long hours at a job or task. What got them there in the first place doesn't allow them to just not quit and sit still. It's not because they want more money or even want to accomplish more things. It's the challenge.

I bet MJ and Tiger Woods would have the same fire in a game checkers.

Completely agree. Personality isn't controlled by an "on-off switch." People who are more competitive by nature aren't going to be able to give that just because their body is aging. For a number of athletes, it becomes difficult to find something that is as fulfilling for them as their playing career was. Many are never able to truly enjoy their retirement, as it serves only to remind them that they're no longer able to play the sport that they love.

RKMeibalane
12-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Not so much his abilities as his being an total *******. Then again, Bonds won one, too.

You'll get no argument from me on that point, but I don't see what being an ass has to do with winning a batting title. The batting title is awarded to the player who has the highest batting average in his league, and has the necessary number of at-bats for eligibility. His attitude has nothing to do with it.

DSpivack
12-23-2008, 05:35 PM
You'll get no argument from me on that point, but I don't see what being an ass has to do with winning a batting title. The batting title is awarded to the player who has the highest batting average in his league, and has the necessary number of at-bats for eligibility. His attitude has nothing to do with it.

Oh, I know, I was just surprised he won one for whatever reason.