PDA

View Full Version : World baseball classic and sox players

whitem0nkey
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
do we know which white sox players will be in the WBC next year?

Edit:
I did see Quentin on the US projected roster

Lip Man 1
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Let's hope none.

Lip

kittle42
12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Let's hope none.

Lip

Amen to that.

btrain929
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I hope Quentin isn't on there. The guy has been trying to get 100% healthy what, the past 2-3 offseasons? Especially after his longest season as a pro, let him catch his breath...

I want Mags back
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I know Alexei and Vicendo will suit up for Cuba :tongue:

Frontman
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I loathe the mere thought of any Sox player particpating. Just focus on the title that actually matters!

NardiWasHere
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I heard Wise and Owens are playing for the People's Republic of Bad.

Foulke You
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I heard Wise and Owens are playing for the People's Republic of Bad.
I think I heard Mike MacDougal is in the running for the closer spot on that team.:tongue:

DaveFeelsRight
12-16-2008, 01:43 PM
i hope carlos gomez, jason kubel and nick punto are on it.

whitem0nkey
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I found an article from tom singer who writes for MLB. and he wrote who he projects to play for the US. out of his projections here are his white sox players.

Bobby Jenks
A.J. Pierzynski

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3667207&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MushMouth
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I found an article from tom singer who writes for MLB. and he wrote who he projects to play for the US. out of his projections here are his white sox players.

Bobby Jenks
A.J. Pierzynski

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3667207&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I hope, if asked, Jenks turns them down.

I can't think of a worse use of a closers arm than the WBC.

october23sp
12-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I know Alexei and Vicendo will suit up for Cuba :tongue:

Thats a stab at me for not fully understanding life.:redneck

turners56
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Luis Ayala was a very formidable setup man before he screwed up his arm in the 06 WBC. I haven't heard his name ever since. Although I think he was healthy last year. He's one of the prime examples for not wanting your team's players in the WBC.

Domeshot17
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I would personally LOVE Quentin to be there and here is why.

From all accounts, he is healthy and good to go. If we advanced in the playoffs he was ready enough for round 2.

With a wrist injury the hardest part of coming back is getting your timing and power stroke back. It takes guys time during the year to work that out. If Quentin went to the WBC and got 50 ABs. That is almost like an extended spring training of ABs for him.

The sox just have to tell him when he makes outs to not hurt himself.

I don't want ANY pitchers there, those are guys who more time effects. Hitters I see it as a good thing, although AJ I don't know if I want him catching.

kittle42
12-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Luis Ayala was a very formidable setup man before he screwed up his arm in the 06 WBC. I haven't heard his name ever since. Although I think he was healthy last year. He's one of the prime examples for not wanting your team's players in the WBC.

He's one of the reasons the Mets went out and acquired two closers this offseason!

oeo
12-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Either one of two things happened: he rushed himself getting ready (his fault), or it was bound to happen, anyway.

Unless some guy gets hit with a screaming liner or something else fluky like that, how can you blame it on the WBC?

whitem0nkey
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I would not mind if we can get our players to sign some kind of a no WBC clause when they sign that long deal with us.

I love the event, but i wonder when will a team try to do that.

oeo
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I would not mind if we can get our players to sign some kind of a no WBC clause when they sign that long deal with us.

You guys are all blowing the whole injury thing way out of proportion.

chisoxfanatic
12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I hope Quentin isn't on there. The guy has been trying to get 100% healthy what, the past 2-3 offseasons? Especially after his longest season as a pro, let him catch his breath...
I agree. I want him 100% for the season. I don't want any Sox players playing in the WBC...Just spend that time getting ready for the '09 season.

guillen4life13
12-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't want any SP's or other heavily used pitchers in it, nor do I want A.J. in it. I don't want them running out of gas come September and beyond.

Any other players are okay in my book.

turners56
12-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Either one of two things happened: he rushed himself getting ready (his fault), or it was bound to happen, anyway.

Unless some guy gets hit with a screaming liner or something else fluky like that, how can you blame it on the WBC?

Or if he never played he would of never rushed himself. Therefore, the possibility of injury would have been much lower. I'm all for watching some good baseball during the WBC. But the truth of the matter is, half of those teams suck and I don't think most of the professional players take it all that seriously. If they did, they'd be all signing up to go as if it were the Olympics. Even if it was good baseball to watch, I don't think it should be endangering my team's chances of winning when the actual baseball starts in April.

oeo
12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Or if he never played he would of never rushed himself. Therefore, the possibility of injury would have been much lower.

Again, that's his own fault. He put himself in the situation where he needed to rush in order to get ready...if that's even the case. It's more likely that he was flawed from the start, and was bound to suffer the same injury, anyway.

I'm all for watching some good baseball during the WBC. But the truth of the matter is, half of those teams suck and I don't think most of the professional players take it all that seriously. If they did, they'd be all signing up to go as if it were the Olympics. Even if it was good baseball to watch, I don't think it should be endangering my team's chances of winning when the actual baseball starts in April.The players from the DR, Venezuela, etc. would get an earful if they didn't care. Maybe the US players don't really care, because most people here don't care, but those Latin guys have to play, or they will never hear the end of it. They also have a lot of pride in their countries, if you haven't noticed, and really do want to win the thing for their country.

kittle42
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
You guys are all blowing the whole injury thing way out of proportion.

If there's a 1% chance, it isn't worth it.

oeo
12-17-2008, 12:31 AM
If there's a 1% chance, it isn't worth it.

You can get injured getting out of bed in the morning. **** happens.

guillen4life13
12-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Apples happen. :redneck

whitesox901
12-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Please no White Sox

JohnTucker0814
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
From a White Sox Org perspective why wouldn't you want a few players from your team to represent their country? You get a little bit of national attention and during spring training you get to see another of your young guys that normally wouldn't get to play because said player would be starting.... I see no reason why you wouldn't want your players to play. They are professional players and should be able to cope with an extra 20 games, of which each normal guy will play half of.

PopularGrover
12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I've watched you guys complain about players competing in the WBC for a long time. Honestly I would love to watch any of the Sox play in it injury risk or not. Maybe our guys should have the same sense of pride in their country like many of their Latin counterparts.

I want Mags back
12-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I've watched you guys complain about players competing in the WBC for a long time. Honestly I would love to watch any of the Sox play in it injury risk or not. Maybe our guys should have the same sense of pride in their country like many of their Latin counterparts.

So you would be fine with Buehrle pitching and hurting himself and being out for the year? To each his own I guess.

PopularGrover
12-22-2008, 07:15 PM
While I would certainly hate to see Buehrle getting injured as a result of his play in the WBC, I am willing to take that risk to see him represent his and my country.

cards press box
12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
While I would certainly hate to see Buehrle getting injured as a result of his play in the WBC, I am willing to take that risk to see him represent his and my country.

Two points: First, these games are not the Olympics; they are a private tournament. Second, I don't want to see Mark Buerhle taking any unnecessary risks, period. It makes no sense for either Buerhle or the White Sox for him to do so.

Buerhle has thrown a lot of innings in the major leagues since 2000. Any pitcher that participates in the World Baseball Classic will, at a minimun, risk screwing up his spring training. We all remember Luis Ayala blowing his arm out in 2006. But the WBC effected other pitchers, too. Johan Santana was not good in the 1st half of 2006, although he did pitch well in the 2nd half. Javier Vazquez did not pitch that well in 2006 and Freddy Garcia's velocity was down. Didn't both Vazquez and Garcia pitch in the WBC in 2006?

If the MLB wants to run this tournament, they should do so in November after the season. The WBC would then be comparable to the type of barnstorming tours that MLB players have long had.

I hope that no Sox pitchers participate in the WBC.

btrain929
12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
He's one of the reasons the Mets went out and acquired two closers this offseason!

And did the Mets even give him a thank you? I think not....

Just for clarification, with all this Buehrle talk, he isn't in the WBC, is he? Does anyone know when final rosters will be announced for the US?