PDA

View Full Version : Stan Bahnsen Interview

Lip Man 1
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
December 2, 1971 turned out to be one of the greatest days in the history of the White Sox franchise.

On that date, an hour or so apart at the winter meetings, then player personnel director Roland Hemond acquired the future 1972 American League’s Most Valuable Player in Dick Allen and then swindled the Yankees for 1972, 21 game winner and innings eater Stan Bahnsen. Not bad for an hour’s work eh?

Bahnsen not only would win 21 in 1972 but in future years would pitch two of the greatest games in Sox history, just losing a no hitter in the 9th inning and losing a perfect game in the 8th inning.

He was durable, he was competitive and he seemed to do his best work when guys were on base.

Stan is the latest interview with White Sox Interactive and you can find it here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3729 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3729)

Bahnsen talked about his days under manager Chuck Tanner, what it was like playing in a pennant race, those “near miss” games that would have allowed him to enter the Hall of Fame and also, regrettably, how then Sox vice president Stu Holcomb tried to take advantage of him at a time of personal family grief.

After he “retired” Stan’s story became even more remarkable. How about still pitching professionally in his late 40’s!

It’s all here at White Sox Interactive.

I hope you’ll enjoy reading Stan’s story.

Lip

itsnotrequired
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Why is "White Sox Interactive" in bold?

Lip Man 1
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Because I also send this "tease" out to a number of different media outlets and media individuals as well as here. I like to remind them where these interviews are coming from. It's a PR move for the site.

Lip

Paulwny
12-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Once again a great interview Lip !!!!!

Todd5150
12-14-2008, 11:32 PM
great interview Lip.

I got the chance to meet Stan Bahnsen back in December of '05 on one of the cruises he heads up. What a great guy Stan was. Earl Weaver, Bob Feller, & Ralph Kiner were just some of the ex-players on board the ship.

I highly recommend going on one of these cruises if you can. My dad works for the cruise line (MSC Cruises) & the ships along with the destinations are awesome. He told me to contact your local travel agent or get in touch with Stan himself if you're interested.

The players are very approachable and will talk to you about anything....including roulette tips from Earl Weaver

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2008, 07:06 AM
This is Lip's typical excellent journalism! Thanks, Lip!

If I was starting a media outlet, my first two sports department hires would be Lip and JB98.

white sox bill
12-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Although I was just 11 at time, I remember Stan well, the pride of Council Bluffs Iowa.

NLaloosh
12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Lip!

johnr1note
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Great interview Lip. I was at the near-perfect game, though I was a lad at the time. Bahnsen is a class act.

white sox bill
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Great interview Lip. Thanks for sharing

MeteorsSox4367
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Lip: Well done, sir. Bahnsen was one of the first Sox pitchers I remember as a little kid when my Dad was watching the games. IIRC, I also had a plastic drinking mug that had Bahnsen, Ken Henderson and a couple of other Sox on it.

Naturally, it was my favorite mug as a kid.

I also loved the '72 and '73 Bahnsen cards that accompanied the interview. Those were the years when I first started collecting. Great memories.

Dick Allen
12-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I was at that game where Bobby Darwin broke up the perfect game. At least it wasn't a cheap hit like No-Neck's was.

Medford Bobby
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.baseballcardproject.com/Topps/R/1974/254.jpg:bandance: