PDA

View Full Version : Yankees want Manny, too?

the1tab
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Per ESPN.com's rumor mill, a source with the Yankees has indicated that, if the Yankees do not sign Mark Teixeira, they will aggresively pursue Manny Ramirez.

This after spending a god's ransom on CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett.

Apparently Hank Steinbrenner wants to be his father's son... this is disgusting.

oeo
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Apparently Hank Steinbrenner wants to be his father's son... this is disgusting.

Didn't Hal actually take over?

whitesox901
12-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Damn Yankees

DumpJerry
12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Didn't Hal actually take over?
Yes.

They want Manny? They can have Manny. Let's see how the New York press handles him when he goes on the "DL" because he has better things to do than showing up at Yankee Stadium for a month or so. New York =/= Boston.

WHILEPITCH
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
This is hilarious - baseball might be pointless if that happens.

35th and Shields
12-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Sure, why not. I mean honestly this is becoming a joke.

soxpride724
12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
eh.

doublem23
12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hal and Hank are co-running the operation... Hal runs the money, Hank handles the baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3715160

****in' Yankees.

dwalteroo
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
The Yankees haven't won squat since their buying went into hyper-mode. I say let it continue.

(Even though I shudder when typing that.)

Railsplitter
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Yankee Payroll: $200,000,000

$200,000,000 payoll and no post-season: priceless.

the1tab
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
The complete disregard they show for the salary cap is really disappointing. Maybe MLB needs to rethink how much the luxury tax is, because if they keep throwing money around this way there's no chance middle market teams can keep their stars.

PalehosePlanet
12-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I love the way they're signing all these big money free agents but in the mean time are begging the city of New York for 300 more million dollars to complete building their stadium.

Since when does it cost over a billion dollars to build a stadium anyaway?!

Paulwny
12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Since when does it cost over a billion dollars to build a stadium anyaway?!

When the King desires a new castle there is no end to the amount of tax money the serfs will have to give.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
1Tab:

There is no salary cap in baseball. I don't know where you got that idea.

Lip

doublem23
12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
The complete disregard they show for the salary cap is really disappointing. Maybe MLB needs to rethink how much the luxury tax is, because if they keep throwing money around this way there's no chance middle market teams can keep their stars.

There is no salary cap in baseball.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
There is no salary cap in baseball.

duh, that's why they disregard it.

doublem23
12-14-2008, 07:06 PM
duh, that's why they disregard it.

Checkmate.

WHILEPITCH
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I love to pile on the Yankees when possible, but in this case MLB is at fault.

If this is wrong, make the system hold the team accountable.

It doesnt so they wont. We need to be like the NFL and aim for parity.

Unlike the NBA, there's nothing about the game itself that would make that an impossibility.

FedEx227
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh there IS parity. No doubt. Unfortunately you will eventually lose a lot of fans if they know any star of their team will, in 5-6 years, leave to go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I love to pile on the Yankees when possible, but in this case MLB is at fault.

If this is wrong, make the system hold the team accountable.

Unlike the NBA, there's nothing about the game itself that would make that an impossibility.

owners feel they can make more money by not having a cap. player's certainly don't mind.

the only losers are those idiots who continue to support baseball by buying tickets, buying mercandise, watching it on tv, listening to it on the radio, posting on messageboards, etc.

Big D
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Don't forget that they had almost $90 million coming off the books this offseason. Their payroll might not actually be much more than it was last year. Besides, if they want to give a 7 year contract to a 300 pound pitcher, I'm certainly not complaining.

doublem23
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Parity?

:puking:

BadBobbyJenks
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh there IS parity. No doubt. Unfortunately you will eventually lose a lot of fans if they know any star of their team will, in 5-6 years, leave to go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

What stars are on the Yankees and Red Sox right now that other teams were priced out of keeping?

C.C.....and ?

FedEx227
12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
What stars are on the Yankees and Red Sox right now that other teams were priced out of keeping?

C.C.....and ?

Economically a lot of guys are traded before they reach the point. Yes, it's smart, but teams do it because they know there is no way they'll be able to retain him. Wait until the Brewers bubble bursts, right now they have a wealth of talent but have already pretty much convinced themselves they will have to trade a few of them. Ditto for the Rays. I really hope they can spend, luckily they've started signing guys to deals WAY early to combat this, but in 3-4 years they'll have to consider trading some of their pitchers as they'll have no chance to retain Price, Shields, Neimann, Davis, etc.

The Indians will recover, but they traded CC knowing they wouldn't be able to afford the giant contract he had and attempted to get the most value as quickly as possible. You can look at thousands of different players and see where that has happened, just because they actively went to FA as a member of another team doesn't mean that the fact they were reaching FA meant they were getting trade. Texas knew they could've afford Tex down the road, so they dealt him for top value, etc.

The Pirates had no chance to resign Jason Bay.
Josh Beckett and Florida.

soxfanreggie
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
As I have said before, as long as they finish behind the Sox, I am all for them adding to their luxury tax amount that gets split among other teams. If I were a Yankees fan, I would not believe anything the Manny Camp says about bidding wars. I have a feeling any decent amount they offer will be the best bid he gets.

guillensdisciple
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
The Yankees are the only stain on baseball. Then again, I think I just wish the White Sox had the monetary power they have.

DumpJerry
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Then again, I think I just wish the White Sox had the monetary power they have.
Why? We have more World Series titles this century than they have.

LoveYourSuit
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM

:rolleyes: Are you serious?

I hope your forgot to add teal.

35th and Shields
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Not exactly

cards press box
12-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Per ESPN.com's rumor mill, a source with the Yankees has indicated that, if the Yankees do not sign Mark Teixeira, they will aggresively pursue Manny Ramirez.

This after spending a god's ransom on CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett.

Here's hoping that the 2009 Yankees are baseball's answer to Wile E. Coyote and these signings (and Yankee signings to come) are the ACME anvil that leads the Yankees right off the cliff.*

*Of course, as we know from the cartoon, that doesn't happen until the coyote looks down.

Sure, why not. I mean honestly this is becoming a joke.

It is a joke in terms of baseball economics and the concept of competitive balance but, on the bright side, the Yankees still seem to assembling a great fantasy team but maybe a squad that just doesn't play team ball. A team with this many superstar egos, including Manny Ramirez, certainly has the potential to blow up real good, if I may quote the SCTV broadcating team of Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok.

After MLB instituted the luxury tax, baseball has had more competitive balance. Of course, the luxury tax has kept 29 teams in line. So, what should MLB do about the Yankees who have consistently ignored the tax. Maybe MLB should just raise the tax. I'm not sure that the players' union would necessarily object, as proligate Yankee spending (if goes far enough) would only serve to drive down spending by the other 29 clubs. So the union has to decide -- do they agree to rules that help the Yankees and the very few A-Rods in the game or do they agree to rules that foster increased spending (and competitiveness) among the other 29 clubs?

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2008, 06:10 AM
After MLB instituted the luxury tax, baseball has had more competitive balance. Of course, the luxury tax has kept 29 teams in line. So, what should MLB do about the Yankees who have consistently ignored the tax. Maybe MLB should just raise the tax. I'm not sure that the players' union would necessarily object, as proligate Yankee spending (if goes far enough) would only serve to drive down spending by the other 29 clubs. So the union has to decide -- do they agree to rules that help the Yankees and the very few A-Rods in the game or do they agree to rules that foster increased spending (and competitiveness) among the other 29 clubs?

They need to impose a salary floor and legislate that all revenue sharing dollars must be put back into payroll. Then make the luxury tax progressive.

cards press box
12-15-2008, 08:07 AM
They need to impose a salary floor and legislate that all revenue sharing dollars must be put back into payroll. Then make the luxury tax progressive.

That would be helpful, too.

palehozenychicty
12-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Thank you.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2008, 11:31 AM
From Phil Rogers WSI Interview (done in the summer of 2002 right before MLB almost had another labor impasse and stopped playing baseball...)

--------------------------

ML: Revenue sharing and competitive balance were the central issues in this discussion but the agreement makes no provisions that teams have to spend revenue sharing money on players. What safeguards are there that owners will try to get better?

PR: "There isnít a minimum payroll requirement because the union objected to having one, the owners tried to get one put in. That being said, it has recently come out that clubs who get revenue sharing money must file a report every year to the commissionerís office detailing where and how that money was spent. The commissioner then has the power, if he doesnít like where the money is going, to levy substantial fines on teams. The money has to be spent on things like player salaries, adding minor league teams or stadium improvement."

ML: Then how does that square with published accounts quoting Jerry Reinsdorf as saying in the owners ratification meeting, that teams should use that money towards reducing operating debt rather then going to player acquisitions or salaries?

PR: "Iíve seen that story. All I can tell you is that I was at that meeting and all reporters were outside the conference room. I know that when Iíve tried to get comments from owners afterwards in these kind of situations, they were always tight lipped. I canít vouch for the veracity of that story. Assuming that comment was made, I donít think reducing team debt would fall under the guidelines of where revenue sharing money has to go, therefore the commissioner would get involved to stop it."

Tekijawa
12-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Is Boras considered a Yankee Insider. This story would make a whole lot more sence if he was... He's basically making 10% of their entire payroll at this point, the should have to cover something likehis travel expenses too at this point.

the1tab
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Is Boras considered a Yankee Insider. This story would make a whole lot more sence if he was... He's basically making 10% of their entire payroll at this point, the should have to cover something likehis travel expenses too at this point.

Boras actually is now a proud carrier of the YES Network corporate Diners' Club Card, which gets him free cocktail shrimp at any Best Western in the state of New York.

BadBobbyJenks
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Economically a lot of guys are traded before they reach the point. Yes, it's smart, but teams do it because they know there is no way they'll be able to retain him. Wait until the Brewers bubble bursts, right now they have a wealth of talent but have already pretty much convinced themselves they will have to trade a few of them. Ditto for the Rays. I really hope they can spend, luckily they've started signing guys to deals WAY early to combat this, but in 3-4 years they'll have to consider trading some of their pitchers as they'll have no chance to retain Price, Shields, Neimann, Davis, etc.

The Pirates had no chance to resign Jason Bay.
Josh Beckett and Florida.

Florida is a bit of a special case because that is how they choose to operate.

But it was a bit extreme to say you will lose a lot of fans knowing their stars will end up with Yankees or Red Sox when that has not really happened.

FedEx227
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Florida is a bit of a special case because that is how they choose to operate.

But it was a bit extreme to say you will lose a lot of fans knowing their stars will end up with Yankees or Red Sox when that has not really happened.

But fans of small market teams can ultimately know they have no chance to see their stars continue with them.

We don't have any immediate cases because if you really look at the 90s MLB there wasn't a whole ton of "BIG" stars. There were big (see: roided) guys all-around but never the immense wealth of young talent like we see today. We'll see where the Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Joe Mauer, Evan Longorias of the world end up.

soxfan2504
12-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Not exactly

:rolleyes: Are you serious?

I hope your forgot to add teal.

Um, we actually do. Despite all the hype about the so-called turn of the millennium (and century as well) back in 2000, it didn't actually happen until 2001. Remember, the year 0 didn't actually exist, 1 A.D. followed 1 B.C. The end of the first century was in the year 100, and the end of the first millennium in 1000. Therefore, the last year of the 20th century and second millennium was 2000, not 1999.

The Yank-mes last won the WS in 2000, we last won in 2005. If that doesn't spell out what Dump was trying to say, I don't know what does.

thomas35forever
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
If the Yankees sign Ramirez, I may puke. However, I'll be happy as long as they underachieve once again.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, one year of missing the play-offs and they do all this crap? How spoiled can one team be!? :rolleyes:

35th and Shields
12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Um, we actually do. Despite all the hype about the so-called turn of the millennium (and century as well) back in 2000, it didn't actually happen until 2001. Remember, the year 0 didn't actually exist, 1 A.D. followed 1 B.C. The end of the first century was in the year 100, and the end of the first millennium in 1000. Therefore, the last year of the 20th century and second millennium was 2000, not 1999.

The Yank-mes last won the WS in 2000, we last won in 2005. If that doesn't spell out what Dump was trying to say, I don't know what does.

Ok then technically he's right, but to say that the way white sox operate is better because they have more titles in "this century" is just a pointless argument when all you have to do is look a year earlier when they also won a world series.

itsnotrequired
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
on the issue of a salary cap:

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60965

doublem23
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Potential offer? 3 years, $22-$25 million per year

:o:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/16/2008-12-16_source_sees_yankees_pursuit_of_manny_ram-1.html

whitesox901
12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Potential offer? 3 years, $22-$25 million per year

:o:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/16/2008-12-16_source_sees_yankees_pursuit_of_manny_ram-1.html

The Yankees aren't ****ing around are they

Jim Shorts
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow, one year of missing the play-offs and they do all this crap? How spoiled can one team be!? :rolleyes:

I don't think it's missing last year's post season as much as not winning the whole thing since 2000

palehozenychicty
12-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I think they're just trying to drive up the price for Torre and the Dodgers. I'm still not sure that they make the playoffs next year. You can't count on Burnett and who knows what CC will do in the spotlight after all of those innings. He wasn't even good enough to get Cleveland to the World Series two years ago, and ran out of gas last year.

cbrownson13
12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I think they're just trying to drive up the price for Torre and the Dodgers. I'm still not sure that they make the playoffs next year. You can't count on Burnett and who knows what CC will do in the spotlight after all of those innings. He wasn't even good enough to get Cleveland to the World Series two years ago, and ran out of gas last year.

I'll agree with you on Burnett, but at what point did Sabathia run out of gas last year?

Sam Spade
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing he is talking about the playoffs, ala mr. mora.

WhiteSox1989
12-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Ridiculous.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I'll agree with you on Burnett, but at what point did Sabathia run out of gas last year?

He was shot by the postseason. He helped get them there, but in Game 1 against the Phillies, the bill came due.

gf2020
12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Impacto Deportivo (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=4836&format=html) says the Yankees will sign Manny this week.

DSpivack
12-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Impacto Deportivo (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=4836&format=html) says the Yankees will sign Manny this week.

I would actually be pretty excited to see Manny on the Yankees. They really deserve each other.

I want Mags back
12-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I would actually be pretty excited to see Manny on the Yankees. They really deserve each other.

Winner!!!

Thatguyoverthere
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
As ridiculous as this whole offseason has been so far with the Yankees, you have to admire their willingness to spend all that money.:o:

doublem23
12-22-2008, 12:44 AM
He was shot by the postseason. He helped get them there, but in Game 1 against the Phillies, the bill came due.

Eh, 1 game really isn't that indicative of something like "the guy's run out of gas." Even while he was scourging and pillaging the National League, he threw a stinker in every now and then. Still, he's thrown over 700 innings the last three years, play-offs included. There has to be a breaking point.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Even with this, I'll still dislike the Red Sox more than the Yankees. Maybe I don't dislike the Yankees anymore, I don't know. I just don't know anymore!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Here is an article (http://www.faniq.com/blog/Manny-Ramirez-Reportedly-Received-An-Offer-From-The-New-York-Yankees-For-3-Years-75-Million-Blog-16523) taking what Impacto Deportivo said, translating it, and adding some of their own feedback.