PDA

View Full Version : Yanks could free up Nady...

dwalteroo
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
...if they go after Manny.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12142008/sports/yankees/yanks_to_go_after_manny__teixeira_144124.htm

They also mention Dye as a potential non-Teixeira option for NY. I realize that Nady is arb eligible and would be a free agent after next year, but I'd like to see that guy in a WS uniform.

whitesox901
12-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I could dig Nady, and I would be happy with Dye

tm1119
12-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Nady and Kennedy for Dye? Thats the only possible trade I could think of and Im not even sure how I would feel about that.

Craig Grebeck
12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
He's pretty much the consumate average major league outfielder. Pass.

Lukin13
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Nady will make half of what JD does in '09, and if he played a full season at the Cell I speculate that he would put up very similar numbers to JD.

soxfanreggie
12-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I hate to say it, but we need to think of what we're going to do with Dye post-2009. If we are "going younger", does it make sense to keep him in a rebuilding year? I think the key is the plans for his mutual option. I really like Jermaine, but I have to counter that with what makes this team better after this next season. If we are thinking about acquiring some pieces for 2010, it would make sense to keep him and exercise the option if he's still performing. However, I would hate to be in a longer rebuilding mode and then lose him without something in return.

Tragg
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
It wouldn't make any sense to trade JD for a rent of Nady. Maybe if they add a good prospect or 2.

guillen4life13
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I hate to say it, but we need to think of what we're going to do with Dye post-2009. If we are "going younger", does it make sense to keep him in a rebuilding year? I think the key is the plans for his mutual option. I really like Jermaine, but I have to counter that with what makes this team better after this next season. If we are thinking about acquiring some pieces for 2010, it would make sense to keep him and exercise the option if he's still performing. However, I would hate to be in a longer rebuilding mode and then lose him without something in return.

If the Sox keep Dye for 2009, they get his production for at least one more year. If they don't, would he be type A hitting free agency? That gets the Sox some draft picks. That may imply a longer rebuilding mode, but remember that losing Dye would mean that some payroll is being freed up. In conjunction with Thome being off the books, the Sox would have decent money to spend on free agents. Hopefully by then, Beckham and Viciedo are ready to step in (if they haven't already).

Here's my 2010 lineup card (if the Sox weren't to make any other moves between now and then):

2B Roberts
3B Beckham
LF/RF Quentin
1B Konerko
DH Fields
RF/LF Viciedo
SS Ramirez
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson

Per KW/Guillen's comments (and this is how I see things also), the Sox are playing to win the division but aren't going all out on '09 at the expense of the future. They're trying to phase in the new generation, which is rebuilding in a sense but not all an all out movement. They got rid of some dead weight in Swisher, who really had nowhere to play. Orlando Cabrera is gone, therefore draft picks. Vazquez wore his welcome out, and while it will be tough to replace him, it's not impossible. In the process the Sox got some decent young talent.

Compare it to last year. TCQ, Alexei, Danks and Floyd were all major cogs in the new movement that the Sox ended up relying on. This year it will be Getz/Nix/Lillibridge, Fields/Viciedo, Richard/Marquez/Poreda and BA/Owens.

I don't expect the current question marks to perform as well as last year's question marks, but at the same time I do expect the following to offset these things:

1) Konerko will rebound and put up a standard year of .280/.350 with 30+ homers and 100+ RBI.
2) If Brian Anderson wins the CF job, I expect his defense AND offense to be better than Swisher was last season. Not that either is that hard to do.
3) The bullpen will be more consistent.
4) Offensive production from 3B will be better than 2008, whether it's Fields or Viciedo (longshot) manning the corner. Overall defense could improve on the hot corner also considering how Crede fielded when he was playing.
5) The offseason is still very young. I think the Sox will add a SP either through trade or FA.

The market is very unstable right now and FA signings have been sparse because no one knows how much the non-CC/Teix/Burnett/K-Rod players are going to be valued. Be patient.

But honestly, I don't expect a real leadoff hitter this offseason. I don't think Figgins will be available, nor Roberts. The closest thing may be Taveras, in which case I could still see the Sox going after Roberts next offseason, with Taveras as the 9 hitting CF in 2010.

I have to say, I really like how KW has worked this team to prepare for the future. I expect the Sox to be competitive next year in the division race (winning may be tough since Cleveland should rebound and Detroit should do better than they did last year). But from 2010 through the foreseeable future, the Sox should have a pretty nice farm system with the draft picks they could be getting--all while the big club does well. The core they're fusing in is very exciting. This far and away beats the "Kids Can Play" era since this time around the Sox have a good core in the rotation with Danks, Buehrle and Floyd. Quentin and Ramirez have already shown themselves to be very good. Viciedo, Beckham and Flowers are exciting young players who I really look forward to seeing in Sox uniforms by 2011 at the very latest. Think early '90's Sox. Frank and Ventura were the core of the offense. The rotation had McDowell, Fernandez and Alvarez as the anchors.

This is very exciting!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2008, 03:30 AM
I've been asking for Nady on the South Side since 2006. The guy is the goods and even more attractive because he won't be commanding a lot of money when he becomes a free agent.

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2008, 06:18 AM
While I would much rather trade Paulie, now may be the time to trade Dye.

If Dye plays the entire 2009 season with the Sox, he will have completed his fifth season with the Sox. That would make him a 10-5 player and give him the right to veto any trade a year from now.

Sargeant79
12-15-2008, 09:38 AM
While I would much rather trade Paulie, now may be the time to trade Dye.

If Dye plays the entire 2009 season with the Sox, he will have completed his fifth season with the Sox. That would make him a 10-5 player and give him the right to veto any trade a year from now.

100% Agreed. If Dye is going to be traded, it needs to happen this offseason. If it doesn't happen this year, plan on him playing out his contract with the Sox, which may or may not include the option.

I'm not very big on Nady. I'd rather we sign Abreu if Dye is moved.

doublem23
12-15-2008, 09:42 AM

If the Sox want to dump Dye after 2009, they can just decline his option and then move on.

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2008, 07:07 PM
If the Sox want to dump Dye after 2009, they can just decline his option and then move on.

But they'd get nothing in return.

kittle42
12-16-2008, 12:02 AM

They'd get the excitement of freed-up salary, which everyone in these parts seems to enjoy as much as a good player these days.

Craig Grebeck
12-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Two draft picks.

12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I've been asking for Nady on the South Side since 2006. The guy is the goods and even more attractive because he won't be commanding a lot of money when he becomes a free agent.

Really, how do you figure that? Nady is a Boras client.

There's a list of Boras clients at mlbtraderumors.com that should be required reading for many who post here.

Craig Grebeck
12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
And really, what goods does he have? He's a mediocre corner outfielder, meh.

kittle42
12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
And really, what goods does he have? He's a mediocre corner outfielder, meh.

He's excellent at striking out!

FedEx227
12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
And his name starts with X. I'm assuming that's pretty grindy of his parents.