PDA

View Full Version : MLB Station

Pages : [1] 2

wilburaga
12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I noticed a couple of days ago that my Cable outfit (FIOS) has renamed one of its sports stations 'MLB Station' with a blurb that they will begin original and continuous programming at 6PM on New Years Day.

In the meantime, however, what they are playing appears to be a continuous rerun of the 2005 World Series Video. As my wife observed it's like they've made me the program director. Must see TV.

W

soxrepublican
12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I noticed a couple of days ago that my Cable outfit (FIOS) has renamed one of its sports stations 'MLB Station' with a blurb that they will begin original and continuous programming at 6PM on New Years Day.

In the meantime, however, what they are playing appears to be a continuous rerun of the 2005 World Series Video. As my wife observed it's like they've made me the program director. Must see TV.

W

Im pumped because I swiched from Dish Network to Direct TV just to get MLB network! and Fox Busness Network

JohnTucker0814
12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Im pumped because I swiched from Dish Network to Direct TV just to get MLB network! and Fox Busness Network

Any idea what station MLB Network will be on DirecTV? I called them the other day to make sure my MLB Extra Innings was set to renew I asked what challen MLB Network was going to be on and the girl had ZERO clue about the channel.

edit: I found it on Wikipedia, they had a link to DirecTV press release saying it will be channel 213 and will be in HD! I can't wait!

Over By There
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I was just flipping channels and was pleased to find that my cable provider will be carrying MLB Network. Also very pleased to find the 2005 World Series video playing... however, during the 8th inning of Game 4, it abruptly switched to something about the 2004 World Series. Cold. :(:

michned
12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Not that we should expect anything different but I find it humorous that on Jan. 1 they are running Don Larsen's perfect game all evening, and then on Jan. 2 and 3 they are running a show called "Red Sox Memories" all weekend long along with highlights of the 2004 World Series.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/

ChiSoxFan81
12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Not that we should expect anything different but I find it humorous that on Jan. 1 they are running Don Larsen's perfect game all evening, and then on Jan. 2 and 3 they are running a show called "Red Sox Memories" all weekend long along with highlights of the 2004 World Series.

This isn't humorous at all. It's disgusting. If they want to have a Sawx love-fest, why not at least wait until the network gets off the ground? Doing this immediately shows exactly what we can expect from this channel. It'll probably be worse than ESPN. There are so many other subjects over the history of baseball they could cover, but instead, they are doing this?

:chunks

cws05champ
12-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Yes and for the next week after that you can find the 2008 WS along with RED Sox playoff games, and the 2004 World series. I could have sworn other World Series were played between 2004 and 2008. Oh wait, yeah, 2007!

Lukin13
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I am pretty sure they will put on whatever gets the highest ratings.

MLB is not UNICEF.

hi im skot
12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
This isn't humorous at all. It's disgusting. If they want to have a Sawx love-fest, why not at least wait until the network gets off the ground? Doing this immediately shows exactly what we can expect from this channel. It'll probably be worse than ESPN. There are so many other subjects over the history of baseball they could cover, but instead, they are doing this?

:chunks

Calm down.

http://www.walkoffwalk.com/2008/12/dont-bother-me-in-january-the.html

Domeshot17
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
never mind, I cant read (edit)

roylestillman
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
My Comcast (Chicago) bill indicated that MLB Network would be on Channel 410 starting December 18th. It better be included in my package.

gregoriop
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
The DirecTV guy will be here on the 22nd. Do you need the Sports package to get it? The only reason I ordered the Sports package was because I thought you had to get CSN. I guess that isn't true, and I don't think I'll keep it unless you need it to get the new MLB channel.

Medford Bobby
12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
additional info from broadcasting and cable:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6622203.html?q=MLB+network

How ever, no mention yet when Dish Network will carry the channel??:angry:

Brian26
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
The DirecTV guy will be here on the 22nd. Do you need the Sports package to get it? The only reason I ordered the Sports package was because I thought you had to get CSN. I guess that isn't true, and I don't think I'll keep it unless you need it to get the new MLB channel.

You won't need the sports package to get it. It will be in the same category as the NFL network and the NHL channel.

Word of advice: be careful on cancelling the sports package. I ordered it last summer to watch the pre and post-game shows for the various FSN channels that carried MLB, and they warned me that you have to keep it for at least six months before cancelling or else be required to pay a penalty fee.

Milw
12-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I found this passage in that article kind of odd:
Some 95% of MLB stadiums are now outfitted for HD production

By my math, that comes out to 28.5 stadiums. Assuming that's actually 29 stadiums (and if it is, why wouldn't they just say that?), the obvious question: Which is the outcast stadium?

cws05champ
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I found this passage in that article kind of odd:

By my math, that comes out to 28.5 stadiums. Assuming that's actually 29 stadiums (and if it is, why wouldn't they just say that?), the obvious question: Which is the outcast stadium?
Always had a hard time getting Royals and Twins games in HD...don;t know if it's them or not.

TommyJohn
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
January 31st will have 2005 White Sox programming. The ratings for the Home Shopping Network will be higher. *sneer*

officerron
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
on comcast channel 410 at about 8:30am, i enjoyed waking up to the 2005 world series film. was a little annoyed by seeing tons of yankees and red sox highlights in the commercials advertising the channel.

illini81887
12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
additional info from broadcasting and cable:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6622203.html?q=MLB+network

How ever, no mention yet when Dish Network will carry the channel??:angry:
Dish Network has to carry baseball package to get the channel

Hitmen77
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
My Comcast (Chicago) bill indicated that MLB Network would be on Channel 410 starting December 18th. It better be included in my package.

I hope it will be part of the regular digital cable package. But I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast requires subscription to their premium sports package in order to access it (like it does with the NFL Network).

doublem23
12-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope it will be part of the regular digital cable package. But I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast requires subscription to their premium sports package in order to access it (like it does with the NFL Network).

It should be on regular cable. MLB struck a deal with most major cable companies and DirecTV so they all have partial ownership in MLB TV (thereby, actually want to see it succeed), whereas the NFL basically told the cable companies "here's our network, we're charging an insane rate for it, and you can go **** yourselves."

DaveFeelsRight
12-18-2008, 03:00 PM
im watching the 04 world series flim...so i guess that i have the channel?

DaveFeelsRight
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
05 world series film is on if anyone cares. i know most of us have it on dvd already lol

Lip Man 1
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Office:

Get used to it regarding another channel for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Lip

Medford Bobby
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Dish Network has to carry baseball package to get the channel

Though, the NFL does not require Dish to carry the NFL Sunday Ticket and can indeed have access to the NFL Network with no strings attached.....why won't they let MLB channel have this same exception????:scratch:

TommyJohn
12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Office:

Get used to it regarding another channel for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Lip

They should forsake all pretense and change it from MLB Network to BNY.

anewman35
12-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Though, the NFL does not require Dish to carry the NFL Sunday Ticket and can indeed have access to the NFL Network with no strings attached.....why won't they let MLB channel have this same exception????:scratch:

The situtations are totally different. It's not that the NFL doesn't require Dish to carry Sunday Ticket - the NFL won't LET Dish carry it, they have an exclusive deal with DirecTV. MLB almost did an exclusive deal, too, but Congress hinted they'd get involved, so they backed off. However, they realized they were in the driver's seat, so they decided to force companies to take their new network, too.

anewman35
12-19-2008, 12:00 PM
They should forsake all pretense and change it from MLB Network to BNY.

I don't think that's especially fair. Sure, they're doing a Red Sox thing at the beginning, but that could just be the first thing - if you look at their schedule (http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/), there's all sorts of random things about all sorts of different teams (World Series videos from all sorts of years, old Home Run Derbys, an 82 Milwaukee Brewers highlight video, etc.) And there's a series about ballparks, and the first four to seem to be St. Louis, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Toronto - not a Fenway or Yankee Stadium in sight...

JohnTucker0814
12-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't think that's especially fair. Sure, they're doing a Red Sox thing at the beginning, but that could just be the first thing - if you look at their schedule (http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/), there's all sorts of random things about all sorts of different teams (World Series videos from all sorts of years, old Home Run Derbys, an 82 Milwaukee Brewers highlight video, etc.) And there's a series about ballparks, and the first four to seem to be St. Louis, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Toronto - not a Fenway or Yankee Stadium in sight...

Who has the largest fan base??? Boston and New York??? It is a good business decision to put some Boston and New York stuff on your station when it launches to get a large group of people "hooked" per say. As stated above there are other teams they are focusing on during the month and I'll assume they do a legendary players on every team at some point throughout the year! I can't wait for this station, I've cleared my DVR so that I won't miss a thing!

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Always had a hard time getting Royals and Twins games in HD...don;t know if it's them or not.It's not the Twins. Their games are among the few times that the Fox Sports Net North HD channel is on.

thomas35forever
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I just spent about an hour watching the channel. It featured epic moments in baseball history (though few White Sox highlights and none from '05) and then, they showed just what the network will be. I have to say I'm pumped for this!:bandance: It'll give Baseball Tonight some competition and will also give me a choice when I'm home (I don't have digital cable at college, so I'll only have the network roughly 21 weeks out of the year for the next couple of years). There truly hasn't been anything like this before and I can't wait to see what it'll be when the regular season comes around.

JohnTucker0814
12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I can't find it on direcTV anywhere... I saw a report that it was going to be channel 213, however that is not in the guide, i was hoping to see these previews that you all are seeing. Any idea if it's on a different channel on DirecTV?

Heffalump
12-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I have Comcast in the Northern 'burbs. It is currently listed as off the air. Supposedly it was free until 1/1/09???

FedEx227
12-27-2008, 03:08 AM
Think I might run a QAM scan and see if it shows up for me.

Right now I'm on Basic, non-digital cable, but have a built-in tuner.

MinnySoxFan
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
It looks like my cable company won't be carrying it for a while...

Lip Man 1
12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I am actually encouraged to see what this is all about because of an AP wire story that ran Saturday in the Idaho State Journal on the new network.

In the story the writer made the point of mentioning that the MLB Network is competing against ESPN and Baseball Tonight but that they also realize that ESPN has, fair or unfair, a "reputation" of only covering certain teams.

The writer then quoted the president of the MLB Network as saying that regardless of market size and regardless of record, ALL teams would be covered nightly.

We'll see...but just that statement alone puts the MLB Network light years ahead of the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

Lip

rdivaldi
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I am actually encouraged to see what this is all about because of an AP wire story that ran Saturday in the Idaho State Journal on the new network.

In the story the writer made the point of mentioning that the MLB Network is competing against ESPN and Baseball Tonight but that they also realize that ESPN has, fair or unfair, a "reputation" of only covering certain teams.

The writer then quoted the president of the MLB Network as saying that regardless of market size and regardless of record, ALL teams would be covered nightly.

We'll see...but just that statement alone puts the MLB Network light years ahead of the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

Lip

MLB seems to be jumping on that perception...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081228&content_id=3729330&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Go to reason #3. I wish that was reason #1, but whatever...

MiamiSpartan
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Comcast started it up a few days ago....January 1st is the day it officially starts. Looking forward to it, because I watch NHL On The Fly every night...Much better than Sportscenter...

gregoriop
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I can't find it on direcTV anywhere... I saw a report that it was going to be channel 213, however that is not in the guide, i was hoping to see these previews that you all are seeing. Any idea if it's on a different channel on DirecTV?

I setup TV streaming to my phone and the program guide it downloaded listed it as 213, but it's not on the guide on my TV. So yeah, it will be there it's just not doing anything yet.

dakuda
12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Think I might run a QAM scan and see if it shows up for me.

Right now I'm on Basic, non-digital cable, but have a built-in tuner.

Let me know what you find. It is supposed to be 410 on Comcast, but I don't have channels that high. I really hope that a QAM channel gets it.

RadioheadRocks
12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
MLB seems to be jumping on that perception...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081228&content_id=3729330&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Go to reason #3. I wish that was reason #1, but whatever...

Check out reason #6... the first telecast of Don Larsen's World Series perfect game since it originally aired back in 1956 (with original commercials and everything!)! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

WhiteSox5187
12-28-2008, 11:00 PM
They said it won't be a baseball classic station, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they showed a couple of old "This Week In Baseball's" or old games. The NFL station does that all the time. I'm not saying they run that stuff 24/7, but showing a few "classic" games for each team won't hurt.

Hitmen77
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
It should be on regular cable. MLB struck a deal with most major cable companies and DirecTV so they all have partial ownership in MLB TV (thereby, actually want to see it succeed), whereas the NFL basically told the cable companies "here's our network, we're charging an insane rate for it, and you can go **** yourselves."

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll see for sure after Thursday.

So far on Comcast I get the NBA Network and the Big 10 network on regular digital cable, but the NFL and NHL network are only available through their sports tier at an additional charge.

It sounds like there is going to also be an HD version of the MLB Network. I wonder which of the main cable/satellite providers will carry the HD channel.

downstairs
12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Its 213 on DirecTV, for those who asked. May not be listed because its not technically running yet. Check back Thursday I suppose. Its in HD.

FedEx227
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Let me know what you find. It is supposed to be 410 on Comcast, but I don't have channels that high. I really hope that a QAM channel gets it.

Couldn't find anything. Checked all the digitals nothing for MLB station.

I was pretty encouraged it would be in the 22.1-27 range because that's usually where free previews go (MLB Extra Innings, etc) but I didn't find anything.

Frontman
12-31-2008, 09:09 PM

If you have the sports package, you should get it.

I'm rather stoked about seeing the network launch. While ESPN does a decent job; I think it will be something to see some of these classic games.

The whole "MLB Tonight" concept sounds awesome. Being able to drop in on games brings a whole new meaning to scoreboard watching. They got solid baseball commentators. I like the idea of documentaries on players like Josh Hamilton and one focusing on the Negro Leagues.

For someone who didn't see say Jackie Robinson play or didn't live through the time of the segregated leagues or have never seen Larsen's perfect game; this is going to be a lot of fun.

JohnTucker0814
12-31-2008, 09:55 PM
If you have the sports package, you should get it.

I'm rather stoked about seeing the network launch. While ESPN does a decent job; I think it will be something to see some of these classic games.

The whole "MLB Tonight" concept sounds awesome. Being able to drop in on games brings a whole new meaning to scoreboard watching. They got solid baseball commentators. I like the idea of documentaries on players like Josh Hamilton and one focusing on the Negro Leagues.

For someone who didn't see say Jackie Robinson play or didn't live through the time of the segregated leagues or have never seen Larsen's perfect game; this is going to be a lot of fun.

I agree! The thing I'm looking forward to the most is that no matter when I sit down to watch T.V. I'll always have something to watch. If it's baseball, I don't care if I've seen it already, I can watch it again! At least I won't have to keep watching re-runs of Scrubs and Two and a Half Men!

I can't wait! 6:00 pm I'll be watching my t.v!

Sockinchisox
01-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Not exactly sure what they'll be showing of it but on Jan. 16th at 8, they'll be showing highlights of the 2005 World Series.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2009, 04:50 AM
So Dish Network really won't have this channel huh? :whiner:

Brian26
01-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Looks to be up and running on 213 Directv. Some show with great playoff highlights is on.

skobabe8
01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Looks to be up and running on 213 Directv. Some show with great playoff highlights is on.

I wouldnt have even given it a look if you hadnt said anything because it says it doesnt launch until 5 pm.

Thanks!

rookie
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Boo. I am not getting it. I have Comcast, but it says I am not authorized, which stinks because on MLB.com it says that it's supposed to be free. I get 99 channels, half of them which I don't even care about.

Maybe I'll call Comcast and ask tomorrow. I don't know if it would make me want baseball season to come faster, or pacify me for a couple of months.

officerron
01-01-2009, 06:52 PM
anybody know if/when this is gonna be in HD for comcast? if so, what channel maybe?

DSpivack
01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Boo. I am not getting it. I have Comcast, but it says I am not authorized, which stinks because on MLB.com it says that it's supposed to be free. I get 99 channels, half of them which I don't even care about.

Maybe I'll call Comcast and ask tomorrow. I don't know if it would make me want baseball season to come faster, or pacify me for a couple of months.

Yeah, I thought I read it'd be on a basic digital package, but apparently it's sports tier.

FloridaTigers
01-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Any surprise? Of course its going to be the All NY/Boston network. The other 27 (Mets are included in the looovefest) teams are just supporting characters in the league.

InKennyWeTrust
01-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Lip
So much for that.

Brian26
01-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Not that we should expect anything different but I find it humorous that on Jan. 1 they are running Don Larsen's perfect game all evening

All east-coast bashing aside, this game is amazing to watch. I believe Costas said this is the first time it has aired since the original broadcast.

Sometimes old highlights become distorted because the players seemingly move at a different pace, almost as if the game has changed over time. However, being able to watch this within the context of the original broadcast, it really proves how little the game has changed at all. The flow of the game, some of the nuances of the players, etc...it is amazing how similar it is to today's game. Pretty cool stuff, especially the original commercials.

DaveFeelsRight
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
"That's if I don't get too distracted by the MLB Network (http://mlb.mlb.com/network/), which was just added to my Time Warner lineup today after hearing that it wouldn't be for quite some time. So that was some unnecessary stress. It launches at 6:00 p.m. New Year's Day with Don Larsen's perfect game, but the first White Sox-geared program appears to be at 8 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 16, (http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/?ymd=20090116) where it will air highlights from the 2005 World Series.

But the fun doesn't really start for us until the end of the month. On Jan. 31 (http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/?ymd=20090131), the channel will show Game 5 of the 2005 ALCS at 3 p.m., followed by Game 1 of the World Series at 6 p.m."

there you go. for all the people bitching about all the yankees and red sawx stuff

soxfan21
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought hot stove was pretty cool, I'll probably watch it again at 9 to see the other broadcasters and such. So far it is a pretty neat station.

dakuda
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Has anyone found the QAM number yet? I tried, no luck.

Brian26
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
That Mantle catch was phenomenal. Nice play by Pee Wee Reese in the bottom half of the 5th too to double up Billy Martin.

ilsox7
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
That Mantle catch was phenomenal. Nice play by Pee Wee Reese in the bottom half of the 5th too to double up Billy Martin.

This is great fun watching this game!

FedEx227
01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Has anyone found the QAM number yet? I tried, no luck.

I don't think we will be that lucky. I've done a few scans today, to no avail.

Brian26
01-01-2009, 09:10 PM
This is great fun watching this game!

I'm even tempted to go out and buy a Gillette razor!

TheCommander
01-01-2009, 09:13 PM

You just want the Baseball Encyclopedia! :tongue:

TheCommander
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Any surprise? Of course its going to be the All NY/Boston network. The other 27 (Mets are included in the looovefest) teams are just supporting characters in the league.

I don't like the Yankees and Wrong Sox either,but last I checked,they are popular teams-it makes perfect sense to feature them.

I think you will only have a legitimate beef if MLB Network goes the route of ESPN and has breaking news each time a Yankee or Sawx player breaks a nail,throws a strike,etc.

Frontman
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM

You do realize that the Yankees have won 26 World Titles, right? As much as I love the White Sox, 3 World Titles doesn't even come close to 26.

And, so far; you're wrong. From what I've seen; they're featuring quite a bit around the league. So far, in just one hour of "Hot Stove" I've seen coverage of one of the biggest FA's still not signed (Manny) saw coverage and breakdown of Jackie Robinson's steal of home (granted, against the Yankees) and they had Jimmy Rollins (Phillies) in studio. Yes, the first game of their classic series was Larsen's Perfect Game. No other player has accomplished it in the World Series, so we have to "deal" with him being a Yankees player and the Yankees featured.

Yes, the Yankees will get coverage. Yes, the White Sox won't get as much.

But, even the most die-hard Sox fan who is honest with facts will have to admit THE SOX HAVEN'T DONE AS MUCH AS THE YANKEES HAVE DONE.

Frontman
01-01-2009, 10:36 PM

I really enjoyed that aspect of the broadcast. It illustrated how things were compared to now. I also hope Costas does more in the future with MLB Network. He's one national broadcaster who understands the love of the game.

Fenway
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Very impressed by what I have seen so far.

The Don Larson kinescope was just a treasure to see. The studio hosts are pros who love the game and having Costas involved will enhance things further.

I don't know when it will air but the New England Sports Museum has sent them a 1964 complete tape of a White Sox-Red Sox game with Curt Gowdy doing the call. Also a 1965 Boston game at Kansas City which features a young pitcher named Satchel Page.

Sadly there are very few complete games out there from before 1970 as there was no reason to keep them as the cost of video tape was expensive. For example nothing exists of the 1967 World Series, NBC erased all of it.

There are a few kinescopes around that survived. They were made for stations in Hawaii ,Alaska or Armed Forces Television who were not connected by cable in those days.

The oldest kinescope is Game 1 of the 1948 World Series at Braves Field that was found at a Cleveland station.

TomBradley72
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
It may not be perfect, but MLB Network is a great gift for a baseball fanatic already counting down the days until Spring Training. I love the game and now have a resource other than ESPN for off season coverage and content. It's awesome.

JohnTucker0814
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I love it so far! I took a vacation day today from work and will be watching all day today as well!

Brian26
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
The Don Larson kinescope was just a treasure to see. The studio hosts are pros who love the game and having Costas involved will enhance things further.

What a humble gentleman Don Larson is. The interview Costas conducted with Yogi and Don was really touching. Larson said his biggest thrill was getting to go on the Bob Hope show w/ Lucy and Desi. He also said his biggest regret was that more of his teammates (and even the Dodgers from that game) aren't still around to enjoy it and reminisce about it.

What I found most fascinating: Larson also admitted to Costas that at the end of the game, he knew he had a no-hitter going, but he didn't realize that he had a perfect game (he just didn't know what that term meant back then because the last one that had been pitched was in 1924 +/-). It wasn't until later on when he read the headlines in the papers that he fully understood what he had accomplished.

Brian26
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
A couple of things I noticed when I had a chance to watch last night (I didn't see the entire broadcast)...

There were a couple of times when a foul ball was returned to the pitcher to be used in the game. The first time I saw it, a bouncer went foul down the third base line behind the Dodgers dugout. The Yankees third baseman picked it up and threw it back to the home plate umpire. The ump looked it over for a few seconds, rubbed it down and threw it back to Larson on the mound. You'd never see that in today's game.

The other aspect of course was seeing the batters and runners without batting helmets on.

itsnotrequired
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM

:rolleyes:

Check out reason #3

As for the network, so far, so good. Lot of stuff on repeat right now but checking out the schedule, this will change daily. I sort of like that aspect of it. If you weren't able to catch the Larson game at 7:00 yesterday, you could have watched it at 10:30 PM...or 2:00 AM...or 5:30 AM...or 9:00 AM this morning. The Hot Stove show is still the same as last night so plenty of chances to catch it before the new one airs at 6:00 tonight. Based on my work schedule and the kids, it will be tough to catch the 6:00 show on weekdays but the 9:00 airing will be perfect.

I'm really excited for that Baseball's Seasons show where they break down all the action of a given season. Then in February they will have several shows about the impact of Japanese players in the majors.

I can't see how anyone could be bitching about the network. People don't have to pay for it (that is, beyond what they were already paying for cable/sat), MLB has access to the massive library of past games that no one else comes close to matching and the thing will be all-baseball, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. How could that be a bad thing? If you don't like it, don't watch it and you will be no worse off than before the network existed.

WhiteSox1989
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been watching this since about 1:00. It was pretty sweet seeing the stuff with Ripken and Robinson.

Brian26
01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I've been watching this since about 1:00. It was pretty sweet seeing the stuff with Ripken and Robinson.

You mean they didn't do a two hour documentary on Vance Law yet? Forget about it. The network has an east-coast bias; I'm never watching again.

Fenway
01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
It is obvious this network will be much higher quality than the other league networks. In time they will be breaking stories the way XM 175 has the past 4 seasons.

I think Hazel Mae will grow on you as a reporter and at the highlight desk. I expect them to really hit their stride come early May after they have had a month of games to work out the kinks.

A big name from ESPN will be moving there April 1 at the request of Selig.

Network is on sound financial footing as they are getting 25 cents a month from 50 million subscribers. MLB was smart to give partial ownership to DirecTV, Comcast, Time-Warner and Cablevision to insure getting cleared unlike the NFL Network.

Rule of thumb is if your service has Extra Innings you will get MLBTV. Dish Network refuses to deal with MLB so don't expect it there anytime soon.

DSpivack
01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
It is obvious this network will be much higher quality than the other league networks. In time they will be breaking stories the way XM 175 has the past 4 seasons.

I think Hazel Mae will grow on you as a reporter and at the highlight desk. I expect them to really hit their stride come early May after they have had a month of games to work out the kinks.

Network is on sound financial footing as they are getting 25 cents a month from 50 million subscribers. MLB was smart to give partial ownership to DirecTV, Comcast, Time-Warner and Cablevision to insure getting cleared unlike the NFL Network.

Rule of thumb is if your service has Extra Innings you will get MLBTV. Dish Network refuses to deal with MLB so don't expect it there anytime soon.

Will they be broadcasting any games on it?

Can't decide if it's worth it to get the sports tier or not.

Fenway
01-02-2009, 05:42 PM
They plan to simulast a local broadcast every Thursday night for starters. They claim they will not go top heavy with NESN or YES but will spread it around.

When ESPN's contract comes up look for some games like Sunday Night Baseball to move to MLB. Selig does not like ESPN and the feeling is mutual. Bristol Clown College wasn't happy they were shut out of the post-season.

We are stuck with FOX and TBS thru 2013. Then who knows?

MLB is looking at showing one or 2 games in 3-D this season. The NFL did a test 3 weeks ago and it was stunning. The key is finding a national partner to get the needed glasses to viewers.

FOX will show the BCS Title game in 3-D at about 20 locations nationwide next week.

DaveFeelsRight
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
i like the tbs games. but fox games? ugh

Hitmen77
01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I thought I read it'd be on a basic digital package, but apparently it's sports tier.

I'm getting it so far without the sports tier.

DSpivack
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm getting it so far without the sports tier.

Comcast? I'm not. It shows up on my guide, but says it has to be ordered.

Medford Bobby
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Hazel Mae grew with me alot on NESN......:o:

Vestigio
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
For all those that have Dish Network, here's a link in which you can request the MLB network.

http://mlbn.viewerlink.tv/Default.aspx

InKennyWeTrust
01-03-2009, 12:16 AM
The Game of the Week on channel 410? Me don't like.

Milw
01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Disappointed not to see MLBN on the Uverse lineup. There were rumblings that Uverse was negotiating for it... anybody have an update on that?

Nellie_Fox
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
I just discovered that I am getting it currently on Charter. I'm surprised I didn't get a message that there was going to be a free preview. Does anyone know how long the preview will continue?

Fenway
01-03-2009, 01:32 AM
If you have extended basic and a digital box you are supposed to get the channel. Translated that means if you get ESPN and CNN from Comcast, Time-Warner, Cablevision, Cox and Charter you should get it.

To people on Comcast not seeing the station. What has happened in Boston was while the station was listed in the guide it was not unlocked. Simply unplug the cable box ( take the power plug out of the wall ) let the box sit with no power for 5 minutes and then replug it in. The box will ask the headend for a refresh signal and that should fix it.

kcsportscaster
01-03-2009, 01:44 AM

I'm already getting MLB Network on DirecTV and am enjoying it very much, particularly the replay of Don Larsen's prefect game. I do think with time that they will do an overall better job of covering every team than ESPN. Hell, they already have a solid lineup of commentators who legitimately love the game and don't seem to talk down to the viewers or scream at each other. I'm anxious to see how their coverage will evolve once the season begins.

Also, Fenway, care to elaborate on the "big name" from ESPN who will move to MLB Network, even if you can only PM me with that rumor?

Frontman
01-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm already getting MLB Network on DirecTV and am enjoying it very much, particularly the replay of Don Larsen's prefect game. I do think with time that they will do an overall better job of covering every team than ESPN. Hell, they already have a solid lineup of commentators who legitimately love the game and don't seem to talk down to the viewers or scream at each other. I'm anxious to see how their coverage will evolve once the season begins.

Also, Fenway, care to elaborate on the "big name" from ESPN who will move to MLB Network, even if you can only PM me with that rumor?

If its Berman, I'll puke. Thing of it is that even with the current lineup on MLB Network, I'd love to see Costas continue hosting shows like the Larsen perfect game. To me; nobody ESPN can send over comes close.

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 11:29 AM
If its Berman, I'll puke. Thing of it is that even with the current lineup on MLB Network, I'd love to see Costas continue hosting shows like the Larsen perfect game. To me; nobody ESPN can send over comes close.

I was hoping Peter Gammons, but maybe it's more of an anchor type.

roylestillman
01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
So far, so good, but does anybody else think that this is going to be like getting your news from the State run news agency in some third world country?

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
So far, so good, but does anybody else think that this is going to be like getting your news from the State run news agency in some third world country?

Huh? How is it any different from the other 3 networks [NFL, NBA, NHL]?

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
If you have extended basic and a digital box you are supposed to get the channel. Translated that means if you get ESPN and CNN from Comcast, Time-Warner, Cablevision, Cox and Charter you should get it.

To people on Comcast not seeing the station. What has happened in Boston was while the station was listed in the guide it was not unlocked. Simply unplug the cable box ( take the power plug out of the wall ) let the box sit with no power for 5 minutes and then replug it in. The box will ask the headend for a refresh signal and that should fix it.

Thanks for the tip, but it still says it needs to be ordered. I'll have to call Comcast. :mad:

EDIT: The woman at Comcast said it didn't show up on her channel lineup for my area, didn't know who would know anything about it, and had no idea when it would launch. :rolleyes:

EDIT II: I called back, and the next woman did know about it, but said some people haven't got it when they're supposed to, so she sent my info on.

Fenway
01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I was hoping Peter Gammons, but maybe it's more of an anchor type.

It is not Berman.

Let me just say a certain commentator is looking forward to his notes column to be seen by all not just those who pay ESPN extra.

Hitmen77
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Comcast? I'm not. It shows up on my guide, but says it has to be ordered.

Yes, on Comcast.

rookie
01-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Fenway, do you have a link for this information, about if you have extended basic that you should get the channel. Comcast is telling me that I need to have the sports package.

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Fenway, do you have a link for this information, about if you have extended basic that you should get the channel. Comcast is telling me that I need to have the sports package.

I called twice; the first lady didn't know what I was talking about, and didn't know who would know. I called back, the next person did know, and said they were having a problem where people who were supposed to be getting the channel were not; she told me that with extended basic or whatever it is called, then I should be getting it. I'd call back and hope for a competent phone rep.

mccoydp
01-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I checked my Time Warner provider's channel lineup, and I have the channel :)

Looks good so far, but I thought it was going to be in HD? Does anyone out there receive the channel in HD over cable?

rookie
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I called twice; the first lady didn't know what I was talking about, and didn't know who would know. I called back, the next person did know, and said they were having a problem where people who were supposed to be getting the channel were not; she told me that with extended basic or whatever it is called, then I should be getting it. I'd call back and hope for a competent phone rep.

I'm calling back now and I found a link http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/qa/

Let's hope this works...

Edit - okay, so next I talked to a lady who said I needed to upgrade to the next package which is $15 extra a month (Digital Classic, I have Digital Starter). I said no, and then reread the link which says if you have basic digital cable with a box that you should get MLB Network. So I called back, first the guy tried telling me it is not offered in Chicago.

Now I have someone else. The problem is hardly any of these have heard of MLB Network. Half the time they confuse it with extra innings. The East Coast people have it, I want it too. Now they are going to call me back today or tomorrow. I will keep you posted...

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Looks good so far, but I thought it was going to be in HD? Does anyone out there receive the channel in HD over cable?

yeah, same here. is there an hd version? or is only some programming available in hd?

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm calling back now and I found a link http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/qa/

Let's hope this works...

Edit - okay, so next I talked to a lady who said I needed to upgrade to the next package which is $15 extra a month digital classic). I said no, and then reread the link which says if you have basic digital cable with a box that you should get MLB Network. So I called back, first the guy tried telling me it is not offered in Chicago.

Now I have someone else...I will keep you posted...

Ugh, good luck.

yeah, same here. is there an hd version? or is only some programming available in hd?

The FAQ on the site says all original programming will be in 720p, so I would think there should be an HD feed.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
The FAQ on the site says all original programming will be in 720p, so I would think there should be an HD feed.

based on other posts, it sounds like an issue on comcast's end. i typed in my address on their website to get the channel lineup and it doesn't even list mlb network. since it launched on a holiday right before the weekend, i'll give them a bit of a break but i'll expect better info on monday.

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
based on other posts, it sounds like an issue on comcast's end. i typed in my address on their website to get the channel lineup and it doesn't even list mlb network. since it launched on a holiday right before the weekend, i'll give them a bit of a break but i'll expect better info on monday.

I get a channel listing and it shows up in my guide, just says not available when I try going to it.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 05:52 PM
I get a channel listing and it shows up in my guide, just says not available when I try going to it.

did you try unplugging your box as fenway suggested?

as for confusion, check out this article:

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2741:some-mlb-network-subscribers-find-blank-screens-on-first-day&catid=48:ei-mlb-network&Itemid=82

sounds like the hd feed is available to all carriers but not all carriers have rolled it out yet.:mad:

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
did you try unplugging your box as fenway suggested?

as for confusion, check out this article:

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2741:some-mlb-network-subscribers-find-blank-screens-on-first-day&catid=48:ei-mlb-network&Itemid=82

sounds like the hd feed is available to all carriers but not all carriers have rolled it out yet.:mad:

I tried that before calling them, to no avail. I might try again later.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I tried that before calling them, to no avail. I might try again later.

after poking around some other mnessageboards, this seems like a common problem: cs reps either not knowing why subscribers can't get it, who they should talk to in order to get it and in some cases, having no idea the station even exists. that, and telling people they need to upgrade their package to get it.

so did mlb drop the ball in not providing enough details to the cable companies? or did the cable companies drop the ball by not getting the info to their employees?

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
after poking around some other mnessageboards, this seems like a common problem: cs reps either not knowing why subscribers can't get it, who they should talk to in order to get it and in some cases, having no idea the station even exists. that, and telling people they need to upgrade their package to get it.

so did mlb drop the ball in not providing enough details to the cable companies? or did the cable companies drop the ball by not getting the info to their employees?

My guess there is yes.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
My guess there is yes.

touche...

for what was being advertised as "the biggest cable channel rollout in history", i'm amazed at how many people are saying the cs reps they talked to don't even know the station exists.

:scratch:

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
touche...

for what was being advertised as "the biggest cable channel rollout in history", i'm amazed at how many people are saying the cs reps they talked to don't even know the station exists.

You're really amazed at incompetent Comcast reps?

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
You're really amazed at incompetent Comcast reps?

it isn't just a comcast thing. same issues with time-warner, cox, etc.

you figure those companies would have at least issued a memo to their reps saying that a new station available to, like, 50 million households was launching and there might be a call or two about it.

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
it isn't just a comcast thing. same issues with time-warner, cox, etc.

you figure those companies would have at least issued a memo to their reps saying that a new station available to, like, 50 million households was launching and there might be a call or two about it.

Initially, the second person I talked to didn't know, but spoke to her supervisor, and then said that there was an e-mail sent out to them, but she hadn't read it, she then read the e-mail. I thought that was funny.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Initially, the second person I talked to didn't know, but spoke to her supervisor, and then said that there was an e-mail sent out to them, but she hadn't read it, she then read the e-mail. I thought that was funny.

i can see the e-mail now...

How to Address MLB Network Questions:

1. Pretend you haven't heard of it so you can move on to a more important call.

2. If they call your bluff, push a more expensive package on them as a necessity to get the channel.

3. If that fails, pretend you are driving and going into a tunnel so you lose cell service.

DSpivack
01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
i can see the e-mail now...

How to Address MLB Network Questions:

1. Pretend you haven't heard of it so you can move on to a more important call.

2. If they call your bluff, push a more expensive package on them as a necessity to get the channel.

3. If that fails, pretend you are driving and going into a tunnel so you lose cell service.

:tongue:

I'd like to know what her supervisor told her. At least she actually spoke to her supervisor, as opposed the first doofus I talked to.

Fenway
01-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Talked to a friend at Comcast and he says it has been a nightmare.

First problem is amazingly stupid. Comcast memos refer to the channel as The Baseball Channel not MLB. OK....

Now next problem is whatever call center you get thrown to. Ask the rep from the get go where they are. If they are in London, Ontario or St Johns, Newfoundland ask to be switched to a stateside center.

The biggest is the old Media One call center in Chelmsford, MA and they can correct any problem at any US system. The centers in Canada will not have MLB control until sometime Monday morning.

Why Canada? Don't even ask.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Talked to a friend at Comcast and he says it has been a nightmare.

First problem is amazingly stupid. Comcast memos refer to the channel as The Baseball Channel not MLB. OK....

Now next problem is whatever call center you get thrown to. Ask the rep from the get go where they are. If they are in London, Ontario or St Johns, Newfoundland ask to be switched to a stateside center.

The biggest is the old Media One call center in Chelmsford, MA and they can correct any problem at any US system. The centers in Canada will not have MLB control until sometime Monday morning.

Why Canada? Don't even ask.

so is it more an issue of cable company nonsense or is something wrong with how mlb rolled it out?

Fenway
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
so is it more an issue of cable company nonsense or is something wrong with how mlb rolled it out?

MLB did nothing wrong. All MLB had to do was tell all the cable companies what transponder they were on and when programming would start. They even had a test signal up for most of December.

Cable companies are notorious for doing head end work at the last possible second. Think to the rollout of TBS HD for the playoffs in 2007.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 10:03 PM
MLB did nothing wrong. All MLB had to do was tell all the cable companies what transponder they were on and when programming would start. They even had a test signal up for most of December.

Cable companies are notorious for doing head end work at the last possible second. Think to the rollout of TBS HD for the playoffs in 2007.

someone from that bizofbaseball article i linked had an online chat with someone from time-warner. they said you needed their 'dtvalue' tier of programming to get mlb network. their 'digital starter pak' includes networks like espn, cnn, etc. but they said you needed dtvalue as a minimum per time-warner's agreement with mlb.

take it for what it's worth...

Frontman
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd put the issues on the cable/dish companies. Mine came online right at 6pm EST Thursday without a hitch (amazing since Comcast can drop the ball on just about everything. Just don't mention the words "Wrestle" and "Mania" to me and the amount of times I've missed opening matches since the idjits running Comcast can't get the signal up in time.)

And anyone is amazed that the kids answering the phones on the weekend don't know anything?

I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell if you believe those college kids would be on top of anything other than a keg on a Saturday!

itsnotrequired
01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell if you believe those college kids would be on top of anything other than a keg on a Saturday!

if your employer doesn't provide you with correct information or the ability to access the network (for the canada types), how is that their fault?

also, never associate with college kids because the only thing on their minds is keg, Keg, KEG!

rdivaldi
01-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Reading these horror stories reminds me why I decided to switch to DirecTV 6 years ago.

Nellie_Fox
01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
sounds like the hd feed is available to all carriers but not all carriers have rolled it out yet.:mad:Charter here has the MLB Net as a standard def digital channel (picture is quite good, actually) but not on HD yet.

I've found that sometimes you can get better answers by talking to your local office of the cable provider than by calling the 800 "support" number. Last summer, I had one of the 14 channels of the Extra Innings package that was just missing. Even though there would be games listed as being on that channel, it would not show up on the on-screen directory, nor could I punch in the number. It was just not there. I called the 800 number five or six times, and kept being told that they would "put in a work order."

Finally, I just stopped by the office in town. The lady turned around, pointed a remote at the TV in the office and tried to punch it up. "Huh, we don't get it either. I'll tell Carl; he'll know what to do." By the time I got home, it was up and working.

DSpivack
01-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Charter here has the MLB Net as a standard def digital channel (picture is quite good, actually) but not on HD yet.

I've found that sometimes you can get better answers by talking to your local office of the cable provider than by calling the 800 "support" number. Last summer, I had one of the 14 channels of the Extra Innings package that was just missing. Even though there would be games listed as being on that channel, it would not show up on the on-screen directory, nor could I punch in the number. It was just not there. I called the 800 number five or six times, and kept being told that they would "put in a work order."

Finally, I just stopped by the office in town. The lady turned around, pointed a remote at the TV in the office and tried to punch it up. "Huh, we don't get it either. I'll tell Carl; he'll know what to do." By the time I got home, it was up and working.

Is that a small cable company? Unfortunately I have Comcast, the first clueless lady told me to call the local office, the second person I talked to told me the local offices don't even have phone numbers and they only exist to deal with bills, anyway, that service stuff comes from another location. I suppose I could stop in there in person, but it's not that close and that'd be a hassle just for one missing channel.

chisoxfanatic
01-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Is what is currently being aired on the station considered to be a "free preview" of some sorts, or will I get this station like I get the NFL Network without having the Extra Innings package? I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the 2nd highest programming tier (Choice Extra).

Nellie_Fox
01-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Is that a small cable company?Depends what you mean by "small." Charter's not Comcast big (nearly 25 million subscribers) but it's pretty good sized (over 5 million) and not just a mom and pop outfit.

http://www.ncta.com/Statistic/Statistic/Top25MSOs.aspx

Brian26
01-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Is what is currently being aired on the station considered to be a "free preview" of some sorts, or will I get this station like I get the NFL Network without having the Extra Innings package? I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the 2nd highest programming tier (Choice Extra).

You will continue to receive it.

itsnotrequired
01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Charter here has the MLB Net as a standard def digital channel (picture is quite good, actually) but not on HD yet.

i was it the in-laws this last week in central wisconsin. they have charter as well. they have the "digital home" service which is the most basic digital package offered. it has mlb network. charter offers a "digital view" and "total view" package which offer an additional 20+ and 40+ channels, respectively. so at least for charter, the bare-bones digital package gets you mlb network but based on what others are saying, the bare-bones digital package from comcast, time warner, etc. does NOT get you mlb network, even though those basic packages includes cnn, espn, etc.

one person mentioned that someone with time warner cable would need their 'dtview' level of service to get mlb network, as per agreement with mlb. if this is the case, it sure would make things easy for everyone if mlb and/or the cable companies published a list of what service level is needed to get mlb network. i mean, it isn't like the service level agreement needs to be some type of secret.

cws05champ
01-04-2009, 10:07 AM
All the issues aside, I'm really enjoying the network so far. The Hot stove show is cool, as they go in depth on FA situations and teams w/o the time constraints that are on BBTN on ESPN.

soxpride724
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
You will continue to receive it.

How about those of us who have comcast? I do not have NFL Network, but on Friday when MLB Network previewed I had it, and still do. Is this a free weekend or do I have to order it?

DSpivack
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
i was it the in-laws this last week in central wisconsin. they have charter as well. they have the "digital home" service which is the most basic digital package offered. it has mlb network. charter offers a "digital view" and "total view" package which offer an additional 20+ and 40+ channels, respectively. so at least for charter, the bare-bones digital package gets you mlb network but based on what others are saying, the bare-bones digital package from comcast, time warner, etc. does NOT get you mlb network, even though those basic packages includes cnn, espn, etc.

one person mentioned that someone with time warner cable would need their 'dtview' level of service to get mlb network, as per agreement with mlb. if this is the case, it sure would make things easy for everyone if mlb and/or the cable companies published a list of what service level is needed to get mlb network. i mean, it isn't like the service level agreement needs to be some type of secret.

When I called Comcast, they said I should be receiving it--and I only have basic digital. They were having problems where people who should be receiving it were not getting it. If you get ESPN, CNN, et al, then you should be getting the MLB Network, no matter your service provider. You do not need a sports tier or a more expensive digital package.

How about those of us who have comcast? I do not have NFL Network, but on Friday when MLB Network previewed I had it, and still do. Is this a free weekend or do I have to order it?

It is not a free preview, and you should be getting it from now on.

itsnotrequired
01-04-2009, 11:24 AM
When I called Comcast, they said I should be receiving it--and I only have basic digital. They were having problems where people who should be receiving it were not getting it. If you get ESPN, CNN, et al, then you should be getting the MLB Network, no matter your service provider. You do not need a sports tier or a more expensive digital package.

my hopes is that all these issues get ironed out early next week.

Frontman
01-04-2009, 11:38 AM
if your employer doesn't provide you with correct information or the ability to access the network (for the canada types), how is that their fault?

also, never associate with college kids because the only thing on their minds is keg, Keg, KEG!

I'm not saying that it might not be the employer's fault; but there's a reason they work the weekend shift when it comes to customer service.

My all time favorite moment of poor customer service from Comcast was after their "switch your phone service to us" campaign, I was in their office paying my bill (which is right next door to work) and the guy in front of me switched to their phone service. He had gone a full week waiting for a service call to see why it wasn't working. The customer service rep explained that they didn't have techs that worked out of that office that handled phone service; and she would call and see when an tech could come by.

The bonehead manuever?

"What's your phone number so I can call you to let you know when the tech would be out?"

Hitmen77
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Very impressed by what I have seen so far.

I don't know when it will air but the New England Sports Museum has sent them a 1964 complete tape of a White Sox-Red Sox game with Curt Gowdy doing the call. Also a 1965 Boston game at Kansas City which features a young pitcher named Satchel Page.

Sadly there are very few complete games out there from before 1970 as there was no reason to keep them as the cost of video tape was expensive. For example nothing exists of the 1967 World Series, NBC erased all of it.

There are a few kinescopes around that survived. They were made for stations in Hawaii ,Alaska or Armed Forces Television who were not connected by cable in those days.

The oldest kinescope is Game 1 of the 1948 World Series at Braves Field that was found at a Cleveland station.

I wouldn't mind seeing those old World Series highlights they used to run during rain delays when I was a kid. I'm not asking for it all the time, but it would be cool to see those again. If I remember correctly, they used to run old All-Star Game hightlights during rain delays too.

rookie
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Well, now I need to calm myself down. For those of you who live in the Chicagoland area right now Comcast is saying that you have to have the Digital Classic package. The lady I talked to was a supervisor. She said that Comcast's basic digital cable package is the Digital Classic. I asked her if there was link that she could tell where this information is printed. She said no. I asked her if there was a supervisor I could talk to. She said no. She said I needed to talk to corporate. I asked her if she had the name of someone at corporate that I could email. She said no. :angry:

What is also irritating is that Comcast has NO information on their website. Correct that they have MLB Network is launching January 1st and that's it. It's not even listed the channel lineups for the most expensive cable packages.

I asked the lady I talked to before her why some markets are getting with their cable at the most basic level and some aren't. She just said it depends on the market.:angry:

My thing is - basic = lowest level. If you go on Comcast.com the lowest level of digital service is Digital Starter for my area code. What it seems to me that Comcast is doing is upping the level so that people have to pay more. Which does not seem to be what their deal with MLB network stipulated.:angry:

So I am off to email corporate and MLB network. Feel free to do the same if you are getting the run-around. I hope MLB gets on this, because if they want to use this as their answer to ESPN, it only work if those who get ESPN also get MLB Network.

DSpivack
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, now I need to calm myself down. For those of you who live in the Chicagoland area right now Comcast is saying that you have to have the Digital Classic package. The lady I talked to was a supervisor. She said that Comcast's basic digital cable package is the Digital Classic. I asked her if there was link that she could tell where this information is printed. She said no. I asked her if there was a supervisor I could talk to. She said no. She said I needed to talk to corporate. I asked her if she had the name of someone at corporate that I could email. She said no. :angry:

What is also irritating is that Comcast has NO information on their website. Correct that they have MLB Network is launching January 1st and that's it. It's not even listed the channel lineups for the most expensive cable packages.

I asked the lady I talked to before her why some markets are getting with their cable at the most basic level and some aren't. She just said it depends on the market.:angry:

My thing is - basic = lowest level. If you go on Comcast.com the lowest level of digital service is Digital Starter for my area code. What it seems to me that Comcast is doing is upping the level so that people have to pay more. Which does not seem to be what their deal with MLB network stipulated.:angry:

So I am off to email corporate and MLB network. Feel free to do the same if you are getting the run-around. I hope MLB gets on this, because if they want to use this as their answer to ESPN, it only work if those who get ESPN also get MLB Network.

Is Digital Classic the most basic package you can get to have ESPN and other 'basic cable' channels?

rookie
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Nope, there's an even lower package than that, but I don't know if it's digital. The lowest level of digital programing is the Digital Starter Package. That other link someone provided was helpful, if nothing else to show that other people are having the same problem. I wonder if they will do anything about. I'll do my part, but you never know if people at the top care about everyone else.

DSpivack
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Yeah, it's an issue of semantics, but Digital Starter is just broadcast stations, CNN, and a few others, right? Digital Classic being your typical 'basic cable' package.

rookie
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Nope, I get 100 channels. Digital Classic would give me 30 more. Seriously if 100 channels won't do it 130 wouldn't either. Plus once baseball season starts I don't even need that many. The only reason I have that many is because I LOVE my DVR and you have to have the most "basic" digital package to use the DVR.

DSpivack
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Nope, I get 100 channels. Digital Classic would give me 30 more. Seriously if 100 channels won't do it 130 wouldn't either. Plus once baseball season starts I don't even need that many. The only reason I have that many is because I LOVE my DVR and you have to have the most "basic" digital package to use the DVR.

Do you get ESPN and other 'basic' channels?

itsnotrequired
01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Do you get ESPN and other 'basic' channels?

"digital basic" is the lowest digital tier offered by comcast and it includes the likes of espn, mtv, discovery, etc.

DaveFeelsRight
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
anyone catch what they said about the sox on the hot stove?

WSox73
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM

I have the same package as well - Digital Starter. I just received an email back from Comcast saying I needed to upgrade to Digital Classic for the MLB Network. :angry: I sent them the info from MLB.com. Apparently it didn't help.

itsnotrequired
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I have the same package as well - Digital Starter. I just received an email back from Comcast saying I needed to upgrade to Digital Classic for the MLB Network. :angry: I sent them the info from MLB.com. Apparently it didn't help.

send the e-mail from comcast to mlb and see what they say.

btrain929
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I know for a fact I have a very basic Comcast package, and I've been getting the channel from the getgo. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

thomas35forever
01-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Back at North Central, I am now stuck with WOW standard cable and thus no longer have access to MLB Network.:(:

I'll just have to watch it when I'm at home again.

Lip Man 1
01-04-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-05-mlb-networkjan05,0,3916104.story

Lip

thomas35forever
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-05-mlb-networkjan05,0,3916104.story

Lip
Great read, Lip. I agree with the point that there should be more Bob Costas. He's one of the best sportscasters of our time and adding both him and Ken Burns' documentaries make the network itself intelligent.

Fenway
01-05-2009, 12:07 AM
As a baseball broadcast historian I need to address Paul Sullivan's complaint about east coast bias showing.

Most surviving video from the 50's comes from New York simply because from 1947-1960 only twice were NY teams not involved in the World Series. (48 and 59)

Nobody in Chicago made kinescopes of the 59 series ( or LA either )

What is really frustrating is that outside of New York no city televised more games than Chicago and virtually nothing was saved.

Boston stations did save some video and complete games go back as far as 1964. WGN WFLD and WSNS saved nothing except the occasional hilite.

In the case of Boston EVERY game televised since 1972 is available thanks to the introduction of cheap videotape.

To be fair the Tribune didn't save much of Yankees video either at WPIX and WOR-TV saved even less of the Mets.

It isn't bias, the videos simply don't exist.

rdivaldi
01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
As a baseball broadcast historian I need to address Paul Sullivan's complaint about east coast bias showing.

He's just mad because his beloved losers aren't being mentioned in every other sentence. If Sully had his way they'd be showing reruns of "This Old Cub" every 4 hours.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Rdivaldi:

Sully is actually a Sox fan...read his interview with WSI.

------------------------------------

And on the subject of the MLB Network, there are no shows of any kind regarding the White Sox for the week through January 10th.

Plenty of Yankee and Red Sox moments though including numerous repeats of the five part series on the greatest Red Sox players and teams, the 1946 World Series film, Red Sox vs. Cardinals and the 96 World Series film, Yankees vs. Braves.

Fenway is correct about games not existing, WGN -TV when they moved to the "new" studios at Bradley Place in 1962 tossed all their films reels into the alley, however there are shows on the history of the Sox available or "great" seasons / players that have been done locally by Comcast and WGN...funny I haven't seen one on the new network.

How about the yearly team highlight shows? If MLB needs them I can gladly ship them copies of the Sox 81, 82, 83, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 00, 01, 03, 04, and 05 seasons...

Basically the only non Yankee-Red Sox shows airing this upcoming week on MLB Network are one showing of the 82 Brewers, a 30 minute show on Hank Aaron's quest for the home run title and two airings of the greatest moments in Dodger history. (of course they started in Brooklyn...)

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 01:05 AM
One would think the Andy Hawkins "lost" no hitter from July 1, 1990 (which DOES exist) would be on classic games....after all it involves the Yankees right?

The first week MLB TV should have had a show on EVERY team in MLB.

Something, whatever it may be... 30 minutes, an hour, a "classic" game...something to set the tone and show everyone that the comments made by their CEO about covering all teams every night had some teeth to it.

Instead we get a first week love fest of all things Yankee-Red Sox.

Not an auspicious beginning is it?

Lip

rdivaldi
01-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Rdivaldi:

Sully is actually a Sox fan...read his interview with WSI.

Lip

Do you believe him?

tebman
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
One would think the Andy Hawkins "lost" no hitter from July 1, 1990 (which DOES exist) would be on classic games....after all it involves the Yankees right?

The first week MLB TV should have had a show on EVERY team in MLB.

Something, whatever it may be... 30 minutes, an hour, a "classic" game...something to set the tone and show everyone that the comments made by their CEO about covering all teams every night had some teeth to it.

Instead we get a first week love fest of all things Yankee-Red Sox.

Not an auspicious beginning is it?

I watched the channel most of the weekend and wondered the same thing about the Yankee and Red Sox emphasis the first few days. It's not just my provincialism as a White Sox fan. Other than the replays of 2008 postseason games there wasn't anything about other teams.

Is somebody at MLB making a conscious decision to do this or is it just reflexive because the staff is from the east coast? If I was a fan from Kansas City or San Diego or Pittsburgh I'd feel the same way. I understand the shortage of historical video like Fenway explained, but come on! They can at least act like there are more than two teams in the major leagues.

hi im skot
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Basically the only non Yankee-Red Sox shows airing this upcoming week on MLB Network are one showing of the 82 Brewers, a 30 minute show on Hank Aaron's quest for the home run title and two airings of the greatest moments in Dodger history. (of course they started in Brooklyn...)

Lip

:?:

Am I watching the same MLB Network as you? They spent much of the weekend showing 2008 playoff and World Series games.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I watched the channel most of the weekend and wondered the same thing about the Yankee and Red Sox emphasis the first few days. It's not just my provincialism as a White Sox fan. Other than the replays of 2008 postseason games there wasn't anything about other teams.

Is somebody at MLB making a conscious decision to do this or is it just reflexive because the staff is from the east coast? If I was a fan from Kansas City or San Diego or Pittsburgh I'd feel the same way. I understand the shortage of historical video like Fenway explained, but come on! They can at least act like there are more than two teams in the major leagues.

1. The network hasn't even been "live" for four complete days.

2. It launched during a hoilday and college football bowl weekend.

My feeling is that MLB didn't want to bust out all the "good stuff" too soon. Despite having a test signal available for a couple weeks, it appears the cable compainies didn't have their act together. Perhaps MLB anticipated this and therefore isn't going to wild with the programming, allowing a week or so for the kinks to be ironed out? This is why the first day was little more than Hot Stove, Larsen's game, Hot Stove, Larsen's game, etc. Seems like they want to show something new each night during prime time and then repeat it throughout the night and into the next morning. I have no problem with that. I know I wouldn't like it if they wanted to feature 10 teams a day to kick it off and my team's slot was at 2:00 AM.

Now, if it is still overwhelmingly East Coast a week from now, then that will be a crapper. Based on the schedule, that isn't happening though. Tonight's prime time shows feature a "top 9" countdown of home runs and centerfielders. No doubt there will be a lot of Yankee/Giants/Dodgers moments in there but hey, they have a lot of those moments. "Cathedrals of The Game" also kicks off tonight with St. Louis and Philly.

Tuesday night is Ken burn's Baseball, Wednesday night is a review of the 1995 season and the 2008 NL awards, Thursday night is the 2008 home run derby, Friday night is the 1996 WS highlights and so on.

Programming variety will only increase as the network grows in popularity.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
:?:

Am I watching the same MLB Network as you? They spent much of the weekend showing 2008 playoff and World Series games.

for those that want to live in a cave, all they shall see is but stone and bitter darkness.

JohnTucker0814
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I have no problem with what they've shown... Guess what people in the early part of the Century through the
'60's... The Yankees, Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants were the teams with the premier talent. Why wouldn't most of your old footage be of Mantle, Snider, Jackie Robinson, etc...

It's when they get into the modern era of highlights that we should focus on. Are they only going to show highlights from the Yankees and Red Sox games? I bet not!

If you've watched the moments series, a 5 part series, there were highlights on Nolan Ryan (not 1 highlight of him with the Mets), Rickey Henderson (almost exclusively talked about him with the A's), Cal Ripken, Johnny VanDerMeer...

I love it!

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Skot:

True. I'm talking more along the lines of shows like seasonal highlights, features etc and in that regard except for the three items I mentioned you are going to see nothing but Red Sox - Yankee themed shows the first week.

24 hours a day, seven days a week is a ton of time to fill. There are plenty of shows on a variety of teams that can be used to fill it.

Add up the time the first week of specifically themed baseball shows (not Hot Stove Talk for example) and you'll find Red Sox-Yankees outnumber by a large margin all the other teams combined.

That's my point.

-------------------------

Also I heard from a source who tells me that Phil Rogers may be working for the new network in the future. I guess the situation with Tribune Company is starting to have an effect even among the most senior writers.

Can't say that I'd blame him for leaving.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Tucker:

That's a show with combined material on a number of historical moments, a one hour show to if memory serves...that's a far cry isn't it from say that five part series (FIVE hours) SPECIFICALLY on "great" Red Sox players / teams isn't it?

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Rdiviladi:

Yes in fact I do. I've spoken with the man and communicated via e-mail many times. Sully has told me some things on his "Cubs beat" that drives him nuts as well as sending me some e-mails wondering exactly what has been going on with the Sox.

Those e-mails are written in the tone of many of the die-hard Sox fans that I read here at WSI daily.

So yes I believe him.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
It's:

Perhaps we are differing in our opinion of what constitutes a non Yankee-Red Sox show.

I'm not talking about a talk show or the Top Nine which HAS to include numerous players, events and so forth... but a SPECIFIC show that airs on one single team.

Add up the hours spent on a specific player - team - World Series involving the Red Sox and or Yankees as compared to the other MLB clubs.

I've seen a ton of Red Sox - Yankees, very little on say the Twins, Padres, Pirates (what game #7 of the 1971 World Series wasn't a classic? And yes that game tape exists...I've seen it on ESPN CLASSIC along with World Series games from, 1969, 1972, 1974 ETC...) and nothing on the White Sox the first week...SPECIFICALLY on an aspect of the White Sox only.

Lip

itsnotrequired
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Skot:

True. I'm talking more along the lines of shows like seasonal highlights, features etc and in that regard except for the three items I mentioned you are going to see nothing but Red Sox - Yankee themed shows the first week.

24 hours a day, seven days a week is a ton of time to fill. There are plenty of shows on a variety of teams that can be used to fill it.

Add up the time the first week of specifically themed baseball shows (not Hot Stove Talk for example) and you'll find Red Sox-Yankees outnumber by a large margin all the other teams combined.

for today through next sunday, the only totally team-specific airings is the "red sox moments" from 2-4:30 on saturday afternoon and that's a repeat anyway. other red sox/yankee programs include the 1946, 1996 and 2004 world series films.

that "dodger blue" show is being aired about five times this week. where's the outrage?!

throw in the 2008 ws games, some other playoff games, award shows, etc. and this "Red Sox-Yankees outnumber by a large margin all the other teams combined" is a bunch of bs.

there is certainly time to show other teams in the first week but your going to end up with a lot of these programs on in the wee hours of the morning. then people would be bitching about that.

we should go back to before mlb network existed as we are obviously no better and possibly worse off than before.

hi im skot
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Skot:

That's my point.

Well, let's be honest - more folks are going to be tuning in for an hour-long special about top Red Sox moments than a White Sox 2004 season recap. I don't disagree with your idea of every team being represented during the first week, but since every cable provider managed to screw up the launch.

Sure, the initial programming isn't great. but I'm hopeful that the variety and team representation will continue to improve with time.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
It's:

Fans have recorders to tape whatever they want WHENEVER they want...airing a show say on the Royals at 3AM is no longer an issue.

Lip

Fenway
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Tucker:

That's a show with combined material on a number of historical moments, a one hour show to if memory serves...that's a far cry isn't it from say that five part series (FIVE hours) SPECIFICALLY on "great" Red Sox players / teams isn't it?

Lip

Lip

Talked to a friend who took a job with MLB after working for YES.

He said flatly that if the White Sox or CSN-Chicago would produce a historical White Sox show they would happily run it. NESN and YES produce these shows regularly, CSN does not. MLB repackages the local shows but they need something to work with.

Another problem is a lot of recent White Sox archives were destroyed on orders from Charles Dolan when JR and the Tribune pulled the rug away from FSN-Chicago. Same thing happened in Cleveland when STO started up. Here is an example..the last night game at Comiskey that aired on WGN is intact, the final game is not that aired on Sportschannel is not. While many VHS tapes exist of that game there is nothing of broadcast quality.

He did tell me they will air the WTTW documentary on Bill Veeck sometime in the next month.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
It's:

Fans have recorders to tape whatever they want WHENEVER they want...airing a show say on the Royals at 3AM is no longer an issue.

Lip

i don't have one of these.

in any event, there is now a network showing baseball 24 hours a day. even if half the thing is nothing but red sox-yankees, that's still far more coverage than other teams were receiving before. mlb is going to start producing a lot more original programming now that they have a major outlet for it. just give it some time.

just for fun, i randomly picked jan 28 and looked at the schedule. not a single red sox/yankee show on that day.

tebman
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
in any event, there is now a network showing baseball 24 hours a day. even if half the thing is nothing but red sox-yankees, that's still far more coverage than other teams were receiving before. mlb is going to start producing a lot more original programming now that they have a major outlet for it. just give it some time.

just for fun, i randomly picked jan 28 and looked at the schedule. not a single red sox/yankee show on that day.

All true. And those of us who feel like the runt of the litter may be unreasonable in our expectations: the network has only been live for a few days and time will tell how wide the scope of their schedule will be.

But we've heard this song before. Maybe it's because of the superficial resemblance to ESPN in its presentation that we perceive another Yankees/Red Sox promotion vehicle. I hope I'm wrong.

Fenway
01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Something important to remember. MLB-TV is a co-op of all 30 teams. Each team has been encouraged to put together team specific videos. YES and NESN have embraced this and they also have extensive archives. Other teams have not including the White Sox.
There is no excuse that the team itself doesn't have every game on tape since Veeck sold the team since videotape by 1981 was inexpensive. The White Sox have had professional video gear in house since 1982 because of the scoreboard. There is no excuse for the lack of Sox video since JR and Einhorn bought the team.

The NFL has by far the best archives. Not only do they have everything NFL Films has ever shot but since 1970 every game that was shown by a network was saved on orders from Rozelle. He did so after finding out that only THIRTY SECONDS of Super Bowl 1 survived as both NBC and CBS erased the tapes. Only in the past couple of years has the NFL started to show those old game tapes.

The NHL has extensive archives thanks mainly to Hockey Night In Canada, WSBK in Boston and WKBD Detroit.

The NBA was also weak in keeping games on tape.

My point is don't shoot the MLB Network as they can only show what they have. The Cubs have a fine archive because Arne Harris demanded it. Nobody did the same for the White Sox.

Some people back in the 60's and 70's gambled that their might be value in keeping shows (or games) on tape. How else you can explain that every Goodson-Todman game show ever shown on a network survived while 99 percent of the Johnny Carson Tonight Shows from New York were erased. It can drive one nuts.

PKalltheway
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Something important to remember. MLB-TV is a co-op of all 30 teams. Each team has been encouraged to put together team specific videos. YES and NESN have embraced this and they also have extensive archives. Other teams have not including the White Sox.
There is no excuse that the team itself doesn't have every game on tape since Veeck sold the team since videotape by 1981 was inexpensive. The White Sox have had inhouse professional video gear in house since 1982 because of the scoreboard. There is no excuse for the lack of Sox video since JR and Einhorn bought the team.

The NFL has by far the best archives. Not only do they have everything NFL Films has ever shot but since 1970 every game that was shown by a network was saved on orders from Rozelle. He did so after finding out that only THIRTY SECONDS of Super Bowl 1 survived as both NBC and CBS erased the tapes. Only in the past couple of years has the NFL started to show those old game tapes.

The NHL has extensive archives thanks mainly to Hockey Night In Canada, WSBK in Boston and WKBD Detroit.

My point is don't shoot the MLB Network as they can only show what they have. The Cubs have a fine archive because Arne Harris demanded it. Nobody did the same for the White Sox.
Fenway, I really enjoy your inside perspective on broadcasting history. :smile:

So far, I have thoroughly enjoyed the MLB Network. They've been on for less than a week; once they get into the full swing of things, I think you'll start to see a lot more IMHO.

WhiteSox5187
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
There is no excuse that the team itself doesn't have every game on tape since Veeck sold the team since videotape by 1981 was inexpensive. The White Sox have had professional video gear in house since 1982 because of the scoreboard. There is no excuse for the lack of Sox video since JR and Einhorn bought the team.

Some people back in the 60's and 70's gambled that their might be value in keeping shows (or games) on tape. How else you can explain that every Goodson-Todman game show ever shown on a network survived while 99 percent of the Johnny Carson Tonight Shows from New York were erased. It can drive one nuts.

Earlier this year the White Sox had a little tribute to their programming director or whatever his name is, who had been with them since 1978 and they showed a clip from the White Sox Opening Day win in '78. I've also seen clips of the Sox from the Veeck era which makes me suspect that SOMEONE has those tapes. Or at least a few of them. At least I hope so!

Fenway
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Earlier this year the White Sox had a little tribute to their programming director or whatever his name is, who had been with them since 1978 and they showed a clip from the White Sox Opening Day win in '78. I've also seen clips of the Sox from the Veeck era which makes me suspect that SOMEONE has those tapes. Or at least a few of them. At least I hope so!

Snippets survive. Mike Veeck saved a lot of stuff from those years.

A few years ago while going through undocumented video tape I found a reel with Jack Drees doing a couple of innings for WFLD so I would put that around 1968-9. Why somebody at the old WHDH-TV saved it I have no idea. There was nothing special about the game footage. In that same box was the second period of a Rangers-Hawks game at the Stadium on CBS from 1968. My guess is it was recorded for hilites for the news and nobody ever recorded over it.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Fenway:

You and I have both been around the business long enough to know that today the devices exist to enhance just about any piece of tape that is at least passible, to make it into broadcast quality.

Tell your friends at MLB-TV to talk to me if they want games they can enhance and use. I've got them...a LOT of them.

Let's put it this way, NFL Films does NOT have a tape of the game where Walter Payton ran for 275 vs. the Vikings. (Astounding I know...) After this week they will, thanks to yours truly. They are taking the WBBM radio broadcast and am going to enhance it for future use.

If the vaunted NFL and NFL Films can do this, I'm certain MLB can as well.

Also I was speaking with a former Sox broadcaster this afternoon who said it wouldn't surprise them at all to hear that the Veeck family took a lot, if not all, of the Sox material when they sold the team. They told me if it was not specifically written into the contract that Veeck probably would have considered it his.

Maybe MLB-TV should contact Mike Veeck on this.

Lip

TommyJohn
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
One question I have always wondered: If the White Sox don't have an extensive archive (which I think is truly sad) then could they possibly exist in other team archives? For instance, would the Red Sox, Yankees, Royals, or Indians have tapes of games at Comiskey Park from say, 1975 or 1978? Granted, you would have their broadcasters, not Harry Caray, but hell, it is something.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Good question.

Lip

Fenway
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
One question I have always wondered: If the White Sox don't have an extensive archive (which I think is truly sad) then could they possibly exist in other team archives? For instance, would the Red Sox, Yankees, Royals, or Indians have tapes of games at Comiskey Park from say, 1975 or 1978? Granted, you would have their broadcasters, not Harry Caray, but hell, it is something.

Boston would have the 75 and 78 games from Comiskey (Dick Stockton and Hawk) In fact NESN ran Opening Day 1978 from Comiskey which ended badly for Boston with a blown save and loss.
The game would haunt them 6 months later.

Lip

Machines NESN has can make VHS SP look ok but VHS EP is dicey..simply too many lines of resolution missing. Maybe the networks have newer toys.

Johnny Carson had a $250,000 bounty if anybody had the first Tonight Show on tape....best they found was the audio only. NBC was brutal as they erased over just about everything done in New York but Burbank stuff survived, CBS not as bad as many Ed Sullivan shows survived. ABC Sports saved something only if Roone wanted it for later.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
clearly, these is a vast conspiracy here to keep sox games off the air

Frontman
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Just watched the first two "Prime 9." The first being the greatest CF's of all time; and the second being the Greatest Home Runs.

Scotty Pod's home run from 2005 Game 2 of the Series was mentioned; but not a part of the top 9 home runs.

rdivaldi
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Rdiviladi:

Yes in fact I do. I've spoken with the man and communicated via e-mail many times. Sully has told me some things on his "Cubs beat" that drives him nuts as well as sending me some e-mails wondering exactly what has been going on with the Sox.

Those e-mails are written in the tone of many of the die-hard Sox fans that I read here at WSI daily.

So yes I believe him.

Lip

Ok, fair enough...

Fenway
01-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Scott Boras being LIVE in studio for Hot Stove shows the dymamic of MLB-TV is now considered a player.

Boras was in the Meadowlands studio not via satellite.

DSpivack
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Tried re-setting the box again. Still not getting it. Will have to call Comcrap yet again tomorrow.

Brian26
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Here is an example..the last night game at Comiskey that aired on WGN is intact, the final game is not that aired on Sportschannel is not. While many VHS tapes exist of that game there is nothing of broadcast quality.

Buried somewhere in a box, I have three tapes of that entire day's broadcast, including all of the pregame and postgame festivities, recorded on SP speed. What's the bounty for this game? Is it close to Carson's? :redneck

DSpivack
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, now Comcast is saying that I'm subscribed to the Digital Starter and not the needed Digital Classic package.

rookie
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately I feel your pain. I guess our package is less than "basic" whatever that means.

DSpivack
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately I feel your pain. I guess our package is less than "basic" whatever that means.

What I really don't like is that each person I talked to gave me a different answer. But that really isn't surprising.

ThomeInPeoria
01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Is Digital Classic the most basic package you can get to have ESPN and other 'basic cable' channels?

Have same problem as others w/Comcast and MLB Network, since I have "Digital Starter". Not available per Comcast, unless "Digital Classic" or "Digital Preferred".

For Comcast in Peoria IL area, we used to be Insight Communications(as did most of Central IL/Downstate metro areas-C/U, B/N, Rockford, Decatur, Sprgfld, Quincy) until January 2008.

Analog has 2 levels: Basic(about 25 channels, no ESPN) and Standard(about 70, w/ ESPN, ESPN2, CSN Chicago, FSN Midwest(StLouis), Big10).

Digital, w/digital box:
"Digital Starter" - 100+ channels(see above analog sports list), most analog, w/about 30 HD at Channel 900 level. Cheapest Comcast digital package. (in HD-ESPN, ESPN2, Versus, CSN Chicago, TNT, Speed Channel). $53.74

"Digital Classic" - Starter, + about 35 more(including ESPN Classic, ESPNews, Outdoor, Fox Soccer, Tennis, NBA Preview, and MLB Network) $15 more than Starter.

"Digital Preferred" - Classic, + about 15 more, mostly movies. another $15 more than Classic.

"Sports Entertainment Package" - about 15 sports networks, including NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network. $4 more.

Seems that MLB and Comcast need to reexamine contract for what "digital basic" means. If that's the contract term used, "Digital Starter" package should qualify.

Per latest email from Comcast, it is "not equivalent to digital basic".

Makes it difficult for MLB Network to boast 50 million subscribers.

Frontman
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Comcast screwing around with the viewer isn't the same as what MLB probably was told, truth be told. They did the same screwjob 5 years ago when the NFL Network rolled out.

DSpivack
01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Comcast screwing around with the viewer isn't the same as what MLB probably was told, truth be told. They did the same screwjob 5 years ago when the NFL Network rolled out.

As ThomeInPeoria just said, I seriously wonder what the actual subscriber base of MLBN is, I seriously doubt it's anything approaching 50 million, unless they mean 50 million potential subscribers [i.e., people who could upgrade].

esbrechtel
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Has anyone watched prime 9? It is a pretty sweet countdown show...

Bucky F. Dent
01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
At the risk of rubbing it in the face of Comcast subscribers, I'm loving this station. Nothing like some old World Series highlights to keep me satisfied until spring training starts. Thank you, MLB!

Frontman
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Has anyone watched prime 9? It is a pretty sweet countdown show...

Yes, and I enjoyed it. Some can be debated of course; but its a nice presentation. The home run countdown I enjoyed.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
At the risk of rubbing it in the face of Comcast subscribers, I'm loving this station. Nothing like some old World Series highlights to keep me satisfied until spring training starts. Thank you, MLB!

i'm a comcast subscriber and i get the channel.

:shrug:

Hitmen77
01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
i'm a comcast subscriber and i get the channel.

:shrug:

Same here.

PKalltheway
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Yes, and I enjoyed it. Some can be debated of course; but its a nice presentation. The home run countdown I enjoyed.
Same here. Winter suddenly seems a lot shorter with this channel.:smile:

tebman
01-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Saw advertised today that the 2005 World Series highlights will be shown Friday night at 7:00 Chicago time. I also watched the 1946 World Series highlight film this afternoon and got a kick out of listening to Tim Lincecum explain on Hot Stove how he learned to pitch from his dad and that Tim was a 4'11'' high school freshman.

I was wrong. In earlier posts I grumbled about what I thought was a Yankee and Red Sox festival on that channel. It's been a real pleasure to watch as they've covered all of baseball just as I hoped they would.

A hat tip to the folks at MLB network. :tiphat:

Lip Man 1
01-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Geez it only took them three weeks to get to something Sox related?

I guess I should be pleased it didn't take three months.

Don't they have anything else Sox related but the 05 World Series highlights or the 05 World Series itself?

I mean they've only been around over a century.

Lip

Sockinchisox
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Edit: Nevermind.

Mod edit: (Guess who?) Nevermind is an album by Nirvana. Never mind is two words.

Fenway
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Don't they have anything else Sox related but the 05 World Series highlights or the 05 World Series itself?

Lip

LIP

I understand your frustration.

Footage pre-1982 comes from sources in Chicago that were not directly involved with the White Sox. For example Disco night was saved by WLS-TV not WSNS as channel 7 saw it as a major news story.

You would think somebody at WMAQ-TV would have saved something from the 1959 World Series but.....

A lot of Boston stuff survived by pure accident and the fact that the TV station that carried the Red Sox from 1957-71 had their FCC license revoked and WSBK bought their library which was later donated to the New England Sports Museum.

Still it is up to the White Sox themselves to produce historical shows like the Yankees and Red Sox do.

PKalltheway
01-11-2009, 01:02 AM

Lip
Lip, I get where you're coming from, and I love the White Sox to death, but let's be honest here. Outside of this decade, and 1993 and '83, is there really that much Sox related stuff worth seeing? I mean, the Sox were good in the 1960's, but there's probably not a lot available from then. Outside of 2 fluke years, the Sox stunk in the '70s. The Sox weren't very good in the '80's. The Sox in the '90's had three good years, surrounded by seven years of mediocrity. I'd love to see anything from the '59 World Series, but unfortunately, the original television broadcasts either don't exist anymore, or haven't turned up anywhere yet.

I'm talking about stuff that would have a broad appeal to all baseball fans, not just Sox fans. I'm sure Sox fans would love to see some of their old regular season games (myself included), but would anybody else want to? I feel that the MLB Network has done a good job in not being too Yankee/Red Sox biased. Plus, they're just in their second week, give 'em some time, man!

I'd love to see the White Sox make a documentary of their history, though. If what Fenway said was right about the teams having to come up with their own material, then the Sox should step up, and make their own show about their history.

Fenway
01-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Lack of old video is not just a Chicago issue. For example try and find video from old Phillies games at Connie Mack Stadium, Pittsburgh footage from Forbes or Crosley Field in Cincinnati. It just wasn't kept.

Videotape in the 1960's was very expensive. A one hour reel cost $250 in 1960's dollars and you could only record or playback a tape 30-40 times before the oxide would start to peel. The complete game we found from 1967 was labeled 'tape retired' and by luck it was a baseball game. Around 1972 3/4 inch tape was invented which was much cheaper and things began to be saved. Most of the WSNS-TV archives were lost when the station became ONTV and then Spanish. The new owners couldn't care less.

But it wasn't just baseball as stations and networks erased just about everything then because of the cost. Today while reels of 2 inch video tape remain in storage the problem is is finding a machine that can play the tapes back. The two makers of machines don't exist anymore (Ampex and RCA) so parts are a big problem. In Boston the Sports Museum has an old RCA 2 inch machine and literally we need the help of MIT gurus to make the parts.

The Red Sox made a historical home video in 1987 called Forever Fenway and then have updated it every 5 years. What the White Sox need to do is produce a Ken Burns type of historical video that they can sell as a DVD. Maybe the video doesn't exist but there are over 100 years of stills. Interview former players before they die and just produce a video that fans will happily buy.

I have no idea how much if any White Sox material the phantom broadcast museum at Marina City has but Bruce DuMont has made a mess of it.

whitesox901
01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Edit: Nevermind.

Mod edit: (Guess who?) Nevermind is an album by Nirvana. Never mind is two words.

*sniff* Smells like Teen Spirit

Lip Man 1
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
PK:

The Sox had winning seasons in 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1985.

In the 1990's the time period from 1990 through 1994 was one of the best in franchise history.

I have the season highlights the Sox produced (as Fenway puts it) from every one of those seasons. If the MLB Network needs them they can call me and I'll get them a copy. (and don't laugh, I just finished putting a package of material together for NFL Films and will be mailing it to Steve Sabol Monday. They are going to send me some things that I don't have in my library in exchange.)

I also have the shows that were produced locally by WFLD and WLS on the Sox 1983 season. ("Next Year Is Here and "Sox On The Move.") So if I have this stuff, I find it very hard to think someone else doesn't, especially someone in the business.

There are a number of "classic games" involving the Sox available to show and I'm not talking about from the 1050's, I'm talking about from the 1990's. I know for a fact MLB has that material because as Bob Grim of the Sox told me, MLB has been archiving every game played since that time period.

Oh by the way, MLB has offered the 1959 World Series highlights for sale for years so they have that material. Funny the only World Series shows I've seen on the network involve either the Red Sox or Yankees (coincidence I'm sure!).

PK if the new network is only looking to show material that has a broad fan appeal, then they'll be showing the same twenty items over and over and over. You have to fill time 24/7, you need a ton of stuff to do that, even if it doesn't have a "broad national appeal."

Every team should be represented as fairly as possible regardless of what the folks east of the Allegheny Mountains think.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Fenway:

In 1987 MLB Productions also made a one hour tape called, "The Chicago White Sox: A Visual History."

I have it, I'm sure MLB has it too. They can show it if they want to...the question is do they?

You get my point I'm sure.

MLB HAS material on the Sox that could have been shown inside of the first three weeks, THEY chose not to. That's not the fault of the Sox or of not having anything to show...that was done by choice... their choice. Period.

Lip

itsnotrequired
01-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Fenway:

In 1987 MLB Productions also made a one hour tape called, "The Chicago White Sox: A Visual History."

I have it, I'm sure MLB has it too. They can show it if they want to...the question is do they?

You get my point I'm sure.

MLB HAS material on the Sox that could have been shown inside of the first three weeks, THEY chose not to. That's not the fault of the Sox or of not having anything to show...that was done by choice... their choice. Period.

Lip

maybe they are waiting until the network gets more attention/exposure? just because there wasn't a white sox specific show within the first three weeks doesn't mean it is some screw job. if you have copies of these white sox films, contact mlb network and offer to provide them.

the yankees and red sox have been in a combined 50 world series (would have been 51 if they played in 1904) out of the 105 that have been played. so by equal sharing alone, half the ws films will be yankee or red sox. i have no problem with that.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
just had a "live chat" with comcast asking when the hd channel will be available in chicago:

user itsnotrequired has entered room
itsnotrequired>MLB Network is currently on channel 410 in my area but it is in standard definition. When will the HD version of this channel be available in my area?
analyst Divina.33264 has entered room
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:06:37 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Hello itsnotrequired, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Divina.33264. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:06:44 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I would be happy to assist you with your concern.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:06:56 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Hi! How are you today?
itsnotrequired(Sun Jan 11 2009 13:07:13 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>doing fine.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:07:44 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Great!
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:08:27 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I understand you wan to know when will MLB HD be available in your area, correct?
itsnotrequired>yes. mlb's website says "All original MLB Network programming will be in true 720p high-definition format, 24/7/365. If you are not receiving the MLB Network HD feed, call your video provider to ask when it will be available in your area."
itsnotrequired>http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/faq/
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:09:23 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Let me check that for you.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:09:24 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Can I place you on hold for about two minutes to check on this?
itsnotrequired>yes
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:09:55 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Thank you.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:11:47 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I appreciate your patience. Can you please continue to hold.
itsnotrequired>still holding...
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:12:46 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Thank you for patiently waiting.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:14:15 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I have check the list of the areas that will show the MLB availability in HD but your area is not in our list. However, you may still check with your local office the availability of MLB HD. I will provide you the local office information that you may contact. Will that be okay?
itsnotrequired>yes, please provide their contact info. is there any markets where comcast is providing the hd feed for mlb network? if so, where? i am curious.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:16:18 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>The local office information is 721 E 112th St
Chicago , IL 60628
Phone: 866-594-1234
Hours: Mon, Wed, Fri 9am-6pm, Tue, Thu 8am-5pm, Sat 9am-1pm.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:17:37 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Please give me a minute to check those for you again.
itsnotrequired>okay, i'll wait
itsnotrequired>chicago is a major market so i'm a little surprised that the hd feed would not be available right now.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:19:24 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I am still checking on this. PLease hold.
itsnotrequired(Sun Jan 11 2009 13:20:39 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>okay
analyst Divina.33264 has been temporarily disconnected. Please wait while the analyst attempts to reconnect.
analyst Divina.33264 has entered room
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:26:10 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>I am sorry for the long wait. I was not able to find areas where it says the availability of MLB HD. All I can see here is that it is only in Standard Definition.
itsnotrequired>okay, thanks for the info.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:27:30 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>You are welcome.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:28:12 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Please do check with your local office just to make sure if when will HD will be available in your area for MLB. We do not have any updates yet.
itsnotrequired>is it up to the local offices to decide when to make the hd feed available? or will it be decided by comcast corporate offices?
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:30:10 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>It is by the corporate office. However, it would be much better to get in touch with the areas local office since they have the soonest updates.
itsnotrequired>why would the local office have more up to date information than corporate? won't corporate issue a notice to the local offices saying "make the hd feed available"? i can't imagine a local office would make it available before corporate says so.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:34:01 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>All updates are directed to our local offices. Updates will come from corporate offices.
itsnotrequired>so corporate will make the decision when the hd feed will be available. until that decision is made, no market will get the hd feed. is this correct?
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:36:02 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Yes.
itsnotrequired>so the local office will have no better information since corporate has not yet decided to make the hd feed available. my question is when will corporate make this decision? it sounds like you do not have this information.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:40:51 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Like I mentioned earlier, we do not have the update yet as when MLB HD will be available in your area. All I have here is just for Standard Definition. I suggested earlier to contact the local office, just to make sure we are not missing any updates yet.
itsnotrequired>i'll still check with the local office on monday but if corporate has not yet decided to make the hd feed available, i can't imagine what additional information they can provide but thank you for the help.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:43:45 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>You are welcome.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:43:47 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Is there anything else I can help you with? I will be glad to assist you.
itsnotrequired>nope, that's it for now. thanks.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:44:56 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>No problem.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:44:57 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us through Live Chat or E-Mail (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Comcast also offers excellent FAQ and Help forums located at www.comcast.com (http://www.comcast.com) to help you reach a resolution independently.

Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:45:00 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Thank you for contacting Comcast. We appreciate your business.
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:45:02 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Have a great day!
Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:45:04 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Bye.

Divina.33264(Sun Jan 11 2009 14:47:12 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>Analyst has closed chat and left the room
analyst Divina.33264 has left room
i don't think she understood what i was asking. if corporate makes the decision when to make the hd feed available and she doesn't know when they will do that, what will the local office be able to tell me? all i could gather is the updates are issued to the local offices but not to the cs reps (which doesn't make a lot of sense). it sounds like nobody with comcast is getting the hd feed. anyone here have comcast and get it?

hi im skot
01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
just had a "live chat" with comcast asking when the hd channel will be available in chicago:

i don't think she understood what i was asking. if corporate makes the decision when to make the hd feed available and she doesn't know when they will do that, what will the local office be able to tell me? all i could gather is the updates are issued to the local offices but not to the cs reps (which doesn't make a lot of sense). it sounds like nobody with comcast is getting the hd feed. anyone here have comcast and get it?

Like you, I have Comcast and still just have the SD feed. I was shocked to see that I even get the MLB network, so I'm happy just to have it at this point.

soxwon
01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
i have dish network, it sucks i dont get it, i want it, why are dish network asses?

itsnotrequired
01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Like you, I have Comcast and still just have the SD feed. I was shocked to see that I even get the MLB network, so I'm happy just to have it at this point.

mlbnetwork has stated that ALL cable compaines have access to the hd feed. it is up to the cable companies to turn it on.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
i have dish network, it sucks i dont get it, i want it, why are dish network asses?

request they add it.

enter your zip code in the "channel locator" box and it will bring up a page where you can send a letter to dish network. the more dish customers who request it, the better the chances are of them adding it.

WhiteSox5187
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, currently I'm watching game 4 of the 1989 ALCS in Toronto. Even though I'm fairly certain I'm rooting hard for the Blue Jays!

Brian26
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, currently I'm watching game 4 of the 1989 ALCS in Toronto. Even though I'm fairly certain I'm rooting hard for the Blue Jays!

I was watching that earlier. I believe '89 is the last year that NBC did the playoffs before CBS took over, so this was Costas and Kubek's swan song.

I only saw about 20 minutes, but Costas was talking about Toronto attendance reaching the four million mark that year, which was/is incredible. Also consider that they played the first half of the season (+/-) at Exhibition Stadium and then moved into SkyDome.

Costas remarked, "This place has become an attraction. People come here like they come to Wrigley Field, as it's almost as much of a tourist attraction as wanting to actually see a game. Now, whether or not that will last here once the novelty has worn off is another question." Those were pretty prophetic words coming from Costas since SkyDome eighteen years later is now met with pretty much disdain.

I want Mags back
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I
Costas remarked, "This place has become an attraction. People come here like they come to Wrigley Field, as it's almost as much of a tourist attraction as wanting to actually see a game. Now, whether or not that will last here once the novelty has worn off is another question." Those were pretty prophetic words coming from Costas since SkyDome eighteen years later is now met with pretty much disdain.

I toured Skydome/Rogers Centre a few years ago. My mom was mad cause it was in football setup.

Lip Man 1
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
It's:

I would think a network who's CEO was quoted by the AP as saying that "all teams would be covered regardless of market and record"(direct quote) would want to make that point clear in the initial rollout instead of spending 50% or more of the air time, when dealing with specific historical events, on two teams...wouldn't you?

If you are going to have that philosophy what better way to demonstrate it then by showing something from EVERY team, regardless of what it may be, in the first week or ten days. That clearly tells your viewers, this is not 'business as usual' as demonstrated by the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

But that's just my opinion.

The Red Sox have their own network (NESN), the Yankees have their own network (YES) why should the MLB Network fall over backwards for them in the first place?

And Fenway and folks in the Sox front office have my contact info. I've already told them they can contact the MLB Network and give them that info, if they would like anything that I may have in my library.

Frankly I was shocked that NFL Films didn't have some of my material but flattered that they took the time to ask for it. They'll have it soon since I mail it out to them on Monday.

Lip

soxwon
01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
request they add it.

enter your zip code in the "channel locator" box and it will bring up a page where you can send a letter to dish network. the more dish customers who request it, the better the chances are of them adding it.

ive done this, it just isnt fair everyone in chicago sees it but Dish Network people.

Lip Man 1
01-11-2009, 10:56 PM
The Dish Network feels that the fee being asked for by MLB is unreasonable and does not want to pay it. Obviously others feel it is reasonable and have paid it.

Dish network seems set in their ways so I don't think you'll be getting it anytime soon. You'll probably want to switch to DirecTV.

Lip

It's Dankerific
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
The Dish Network feels that the fee being asked for by MLB is unreasonable and does not want to pay it. Obviously others feel it is reasonable and have paid it.

Dish network seems set in their ways so I don't think you'll be getting it anytime soon. You'll probably want to switch to DirecTV.

Lip

Whats the benefit of the dish? don't they have problems with the nfl too?

itsnotrequired
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
It's:

I would think a network who's CEO was quoted by the AP as saying that "all teams would be covered regardless of market and record"(direct quote) would want to make that point clear in the initial rollout instead of spending 50% or more of the air time, when dealing with specific historical events, on two teams...wouldn't you?

If you are going to have that philosophy what better way to demonstrate it then by showing something from EVERY team, regardless of what it may be, in the first week or ten days. That clearly tells your viewers, this is not 'business as usual' as demonstrated by the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

But that's just my opinion.

Lip

I guess I'm just not that worried about it. The network is showing things that would essentially never been seen otherwise. 1989 ALCS games? 1991 Cubs-Pirates game? What other network would even entertain this? ESPN Classic, I suppose.

Yes, it was Red Sox/Yankee heavy these first couple weeks. I'm not too worried about it though. Having the station is about a million times better than not having it.

ive done this, it just isnt fair everyone in chicago sees it but Dish Network people.

WOW doesn't get it either.

whitesox901
01-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Lip

:angry::angry::angry: **** DISH!

anewman35
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
PK:

The Sox had winning seasons in 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1985.

In the 1990's the time period from 1990 through 1994 was one of the best in franchise history.

I have the season highlights the Sox produced (as Fenway puts it) from every one of those seasons. If the MLB Network needs them they can call me and I'll get them a copy. (and don't laugh, I just finished putting a package of material together for NFL Films and will be mailing it to Steve Sabol Monday. They are going to send me some things that I don't have in my library in exchange.)

I also have the shows that were produced locally by WFLD and WLS on the Sox 1983 season. ("Next Year Is Here and "Sox On The Move.") So if I have this stuff, I find it very hard to think someone else doesn't, especially someone in the business.

There are a number of "classic games" involving the Sox available to show and I'm not talking about from the 1050's, I'm talking about from the 1990's. I know for a fact MLB has that material because as Bob Grim of the Sox told me, MLB has been archiving every game played since that time period.

Oh by the way, MLB has offered the 1959 World Series highlights for sale for years so they have that material. Funny the only World Series shows I've seen on the network involve either the Red Sox or Yankees (coincidence I'm sure!).

PK if the new network is only looking to show material that has a broad fan appeal, then they'll be showing the same twenty items over and over and over. You have to fill time 24/7, you need a ton of stuff to do that, even if it doesn't have a "broad national appeal."

Every team should be represented as fairly as possible regardless of what the folks east of the Allegheny Mountains think.

You don't start a new network by showing stuff that almost nobody wants to see. I'm a White Sox fan and I'm not even sure I would have the patience to watch a White Sox 1985 highlight film. If the new network spent it's first few weeks showing stuff like early 80s highlight films from teams that most of the country couldn't care less about, most of the country would quickly decide that they didn't give a **** about the new network. That, obviously, is not in MLBs best interest. Give them time.

Hitmen77
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Comcast actually hasn't been that bad at rolling out new HD channels. Heck, they even added the HD version of the QVC home shopping channel (why is HD needed for that?).

MLB Network has only been on the air for 12 days. I'm not too worried about Comcast not having the HD version yet. We'll see around opening day if cable/satellite providers start adding MLB-HD.

itsnotrequired
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Comcast actually hasn't been that bad at rolling out new HD channels. Heck, they even added the HD version of the QVC home shopping channel (why is HD needed for that?).

MLB Network has only been on the air for 12 days. I'm not too worried about Comcast not having the HD version yet. We'll see around opening day if cable/satellite providers start adding MLB-HD.

that's my guess as well. they are waiting for more "exciting" programming. perhaps they will roll it out when the wbc starts airing?

doublem23
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Just be glad you guys get MLB Network at all. Still waiting down here. :whistle:

At least I get FSN-Midwest, so I can watch all the Cardinals games I want! Oh boy! :thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Anew:

Again the larger point is that if MLB meant what their CEO said, they would clearly show something from everyone.

Does anybody really care about a 1989 playoff game if you aren't a fan of Toronto or Oakland? I don't. I'm a Sox fan...yet the MLB Network showed it..ditto for a Cubs-Pirates game from 1991 or a show talking about Safeco Field.

They found a way to work those franchise in...why not the White Sox?

And you don't think "baseball fans" (as you seem to imply) wouldn't be interested in the White Sox visual history show that MLB put out?

I think they would.

There simply aren't enough "broad based" historical moments to fill 24/7 programming. There simply isn't. Like it or not, the MLB Network is going to have to show things that some might feel, people don't care about. ESPECIALLY in the off season.

---------------

It's:

There are a number of regional sports networks that are always running "classic" games. I've seen the following through my satellite.

Fox Sports Florida (Marlins)
STO (Indians)
YES (Yankees)
NESN (Red Sox)
MASN (Orioles - they just showed the first game played at Camden Yards Friday night...)
Fox Sports North (Twins)

That's just off the top of my head.

Ironically the one network that rarely seems to do this is Comcast Sports Chicago.

Lip

anewman35
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Anew:

Again the larger point is that if MLB meant what their CEO said, they would clearly show something from everyone.

Does anybody really care about a 1989 playoff game if you aren't a fan of Toronto or Oakland? I don't. I'm a Sox fan...yet the MLB Network showed it..ditto for a Cubs-Pirates game from 1991 or a show talking about Safeco Field.

They found a way to work those franchise in...why not the White Sox?

And you don't think "baseball fans" (as you seem to imply) wouldn't be interested in the White Sox visual history show that MLB put out?

I think they would.

There simply aren't enough "broad based" historical moments to fill 24/7 programming. There simply isn't. Like it or not, the MLB Network is going to have to show things that some might feel, people don't care about. ESPECIALLY in the off season.

I'm not saying they shouldn't show that kind of stuff, or that they shouldn't show all the teams. I'm just saying, give them time. I'm sure they'll mix stuff like that in as they go - it's silly to expect them to spend the first week unearthing stuff on every single team.

Because I was bored, I went through the entire first month (all that's currently on their online schedule) and listed the first time each team appeared:

AL
Yankees - 1956 World Series Game 5, 1/1
Red Sox - 2004 World Series Highlights, 1/2
Rays - 2008 ALCS game 7, 1/3
Mariners - Safeco Field Tour, 1/11
Toronto - 1989 ALCS game 2, 1/11
Oakland - 1989 ALCS game 2, 1/11
White Sox - 2005 World Series Highlights, 1/16
Indians - 2007 ALCS game 7, 1/17
Orioles - 1946 World Series Highlights, 1/22 (as the Browns, but same franchice, I'm counting it)
Tigers - 2006 ALCS Game 4, 1/24
Angels - 2002 World Series Highlights - 1/30

NL
Dodgers - 1956 World Series Game 5, 1/1
Cardinals - 2006 highlight film, 1/2
Phillies - 2008 NLCS game 5, 1/3
Braves - 2006 World Series Highlights, 1/9
Brewers - 1982 highlight film, 1/10
Mets - 2006 NLCS game 7, 1/10
Cubs - 4/21/1991, 1/11
Pirates - 4/21/1991, 1/11
Astros - 2005 World Series Highlights, 1/16
Diamondbacks - 2007 NLCS Game 4, 1/17
Rockies - 2007 NLCS Game 4, 1/17
Reds - 1990 World Series Highlights, 1/23
Giants - 2002 World Series Highlights - 1/30

The rest didn't show up yet at all. Based on that, I hardly see the White Sox as somehow shortchanged. And if you go through the list yourself, you'll see that for the most part, the only teams that really have a ton of stuff are teams like the Yankees and Dodgers and Cardinals that just show up a lot because they were in a ton of old World Series films (even the Cubs only show up, IIRC in two different programs). Considering that they only really show a few new things a day (it's hardly 24 hours of new programming a day), I think they're doing fine.

PKalltheway
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
You don't start a new network by showing stuff that almost nobody wants to see. I'm a White Sox fan and I'm not even sure I would have the patience to watch a White Sox 1985 highlight film. If the new network spent it's first few weeks showing stuff like early 80s highlight films from teams that most of the country couldn't care less about, most of the country would quickly decide that they didn't give a **** about the new network. That, obviously, is not in MLBs best interest. Give them time.
I think that is the most important part of your statement. I hardly see how the White Sox are somehow "getting the shaft," when the MLB Network has only been on the air for two weeks. Besides, what's the big rush to try to show things for every single team in the first two weeks? It isn't like they're going to be taken off of the air.

The MLB Network will also be airing Spring Training specials on every team starting in February, called "30 teams in 30 days." If they happen to show the Yankees or Red Sox first, I'm not going to think it's some sort of conspiracy or bias, because I know they'll eventually get to my team. Just give them time! This network has been a dream come true for myself, and a lot of other baseball fans out there.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
To each his own. My opinion is that it's basically more of the same East Coast or nothing.

We'll see how it plays out over time.

Lip

01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Cox Communications does not yet have the HD version either. I'm sure they will add it when they actually have HD content to show.

ThomeInPeoria
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Just be glad you guys get MLB Network at all. Still waiting down here. :whistle:

At least I get FSN-Midwest, so I can watch all the Cardinals games I want! Oh boy! :thumbsup:

Doublem23, I live in Washington, IL and have Comcast. I have contacted Comcast CSRs and Comcast Cares on Twitter, and still do not have it.

Looks like a dispute on what "digital basic" really means.
Also, since Comcast owns a small % of MLBN, but owns much larger % of CSN Chicago....?!?.
Here's earlier post on Comcast problems w/MLB Network.

(earlier post)
Have same problem as others w/Comcast and MLB Network, since I have "Digital Starter". Not available per Comcast, unless "Digital Classic" or "Digital Preferred".

For Comcast in Peoria IL area, we used to be Insight Communications(as did most of Central IL/Downstate metro areas-C/U, B/N, Rockford, Decatur, Sprgfld, Quincy) until January 2008.

Analog has 2 levels: Basic(about 25 channels, no ESPN) and Standard(about 70, w/ ESPN, ESPN2, CSN Chicago, FSN Midwest(StLouis), Big10).

Digital, w/digital box:
"Digital Starter" - 100+ channels(see above analog sports list), most analog, w/about 30 HD at Channel 900 level. Cheapest Comcast digital package. (in HD-ESPN, ESPN2, Versus, CSN Chicago, TNT, Speed Channel). $53.74

"Digital Classic" - Starter, + about 35 more(including ESPN Classic, ESPNews, Outdoor, Fox Soccer, Tennis, NBA Preview, and MLB Network) $15 more than Starter.

"Digital Preferred" - Classic, + about 15 more, mostly movies. another $15 more than Classic.

"Sports Entertainment Package" - about 15 sports networks, including NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network. $4 more.

Seems that MLB and Comcast need to reexamine contract for what "digital basic" means. If that's the contract term used, "Digital Starter" package should qualify.

Per latest email from ComcastCares on Twitter, it is "not equivalent to digital basic".

Makes it difficult for MLB Network to boast 50 million subscribers.

Anyone in similar circumstances,
more info on this at bizofbaseball.com
with room to add your info.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I've flipped over to it a dozen or so times since it launched, and all that I've seen has been the Yankees, Red Sox, and the 2008 World Series. If that's what MLB wants to show, to each his own, but I'm not going to give it another chance - I'll get 162 Sox games that aren't on the MLB Network, and that's enough for me.

itsnotrequired
01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Cox Communications does not yet have the HD version either. I'm sure they will add it when they actually have HD content to show.

they are already broadcasting stuff in hd. the "hot stove" show is one. also, any of the recent ws games.

I've flipped over to it a dozen or so times since it launched, and all that I've seen has been the Yankees, Red Sox, and the 2008 World Series. If that's what MLB wants to show, to each his own, but I'm not going to give it another chance - I'll get 162 Sox games that aren't on the MLB Network, and that's enough for me.

so a dozen viewings for a grand total of something like 10 minutes of watching time and you are already throwing in the towel? let's hope the sox don't start the season 0-5!

DumpJerry
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Friday at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern) they will do a highlight show on the 2005 World Series.

I know, I know, I should stop living in the past.....

I_Liked_Manuel
01-13-2009, 12:23 AM
so a dozen viewings for a grand total of something like 10 minutes of watching time and you are already throwing in the towel? let's hope the sox don't start the season 0-5!

I'll go 2 channels up to the NHL Network, which is well-programmed.

I forgot that I saw one other thing on the network - a documentary on the N.Y. Giants/Brooklyn Dodgers rivalry

kruzer31
01-13-2009, 02:10 AM

Thats funny, Ive flipped over to the channel and have watched an awesome special called Epic Moments with great clips of past greats, a great special on the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers, a great hour long show on the 1995 season , Game 2 of the 89 ALCS where Rickey Henderson dominated,a nice half hour special on Hank Aaron and the Hot Stove Hour is fantastic. The Hall of Fame coverage has been spectacular today with great insight from voters and former players.

Tomorrow they are airing game 4 of the 89 ALCS between the Jays and A's where Canseco clouts a 500 foot homer in the triple deck and I believe Rickey Henderson homers in the game as well. Dont forget the Ken Burns baseball special that is just amazing. You can spend 140 bucks on the dvd set or catch it for free on here. Inning two airs tomorrow night.

I understand you are sick of the east coast baseball coverage, but if you tune out now, you will be missing out on some great stuff on this network.

This friday night is a special on the 05 World Series, not sure if its just the White Sox Championship DVD or not. In february there is going to be an original MLB documentary on Rickey Henderson, a special on the 1980 Phillies with Rose, Morgan, Perez, and Schmidt. The 86 Mets are also being documented so that should be interesting. It will only get better.

JEFF

itsnotrequired
01-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I understand you are sick of the east coast baseball coverage, but if you tune out now, you will be missing out on some great stuff on this network.

JEFF

nope. history has shown us the network sux. no one should ever watch it ever cuz it is only yankees/red sox. tours of stadiums (yankees/red sox play in stadiums), 30-teams-in-30-days spring training special (they are two of the teams), special on the impact japanese players have had on the majors (godzilla/dice-k), 2008 al plays of the year (both teams are in the al), 1948 ws highlights (hello, boston!), etc.

terrible network with terrible content, terrible guests and terrible food.

soxfan21
01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Ed walsh and 1906 sox on now.

itsnotrequired
01-13-2009, 09:12 PM

you must mean billy walsh and the 1916 red sox.

Brian26
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM

Clearly he beat the Cubs due to his use of the spitball.

AZChiSoxFan
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Wow, you have a lot more confidence in Cox than I do. Here in Phx, we are still waiting for Cox to add the MLB channel altogether, let alone the HD version. :angry:

AZChiSoxFan
01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Friday at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern) they will do a highlight show on the 2005 World Series.

But we've been told by many in this thread that this channel is all about the Red Sox and Yanks. How could they possibly be doing a highlight show of the '05 WS????

You must have meant the '04 or '07 WS.

AZChiSoxFan
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
terrible network with terrible content, terrible guests and terrible food.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Lip Man 1
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
AZ:

Something we've seen countless times before. Show me something else. The Sox have been around for over 100 years, they've done other things in that time period.

Hey MLB Network how about a "classic game?"

Lip

itsnotrequired
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Hey MLB Network how about a "classic game?"

Lip

A classic game for the Sox or any teams? A Pirates-Cubs game from 1991 already aired, as well as a couple of Ricky Henderson playoff games from 1989.

doublem23
01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
A classic game for the Sox or any teams? A Pirates-Cubs game from 1991 already aired, as well as a couple of Ricky Henderson playoff games from 1989.

Nobody would be interested in seeing Rickey Henderson. I mean, has he even been in the news recently? What America wants is all White Sox, all the time.

DumpJerry
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Mt first exposure to the station was the other night when they talked about the new HOF inductees. They spent about 85% of the time talking about Henderson, 10% on Rice and 5% on other HOF matters.

I'm pretty sure that ESPN would have not only led off with Rice, but pre-empted all programming for 48 hours to cover the momentous date in history when a career Red Sox player was elected to the Hall of Fame in his last year of eligbility with a footnote about how some guy who never donned the Carmine or Bomber Uni managed to get in on his first try with well over 90% of the votes.

I'm not saying that Rice did not deserve to get in, but this (MLB Network) is what I call balanced reporting!

JohnTucker0814
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Mt first exposure to the station was the other night when they talked about the new HOF inductees. They spent about 85% of the time talking about Henderson, 10% on Rice and 5% on other HOF matters.

I'm pretty sure that ESPN would have not only led off with Rice, but pre-empted all programming for 48 hours to cover the momentous date in history when a career Red Sox player was elected to the Hall of Fame in his last year of eligbility with a footnote about how some guy who never donned the Carmine or Bomber Uni managed to get in on his first try with well over 90% of the votes.

I'm not saying that Rice did not deserve to get in, but this (MLB Network) is what I call balanced reporting!

Henderson was a Yankee...

Frontman
01-14-2009, 10:01 AM

I did like that they pointed out that Nolan Ryan also threw a no-hitter the same day Ricky became the all-time steals leader; stealing (pardon the pun) his thunder a bit. It shows how baseball history is something constantly being written. I remember Ryan's 7th no-hitter; I don't recall Henderson's record for whatever reason.

The MLB network now makes John Kruk no longer required to see on my television.

whitesox901
01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
What America wants is all White Sox, all the time.

God Bless America

soxfan21
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
White Sox talk later on tonite on hot stove.

itsnotrequired
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
According to the website, they will be airing 2005 ws games 2, 3 AND 4 at midnight on February 1. Later in the month, they are showing the 2002 Mariners-Sox game where Cameron hit four home runs.

EAST COAST BIAS

thomas35forever
01-15-2009, 11:48 PM
It looks like they'll be airing the '05 WS film a few times this weekend too. Good thing I'm going home again this weekend. It'll sure be more fun to watch than the '96 film I saw last week.

Medford Bobby
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
everybody, please just shut up:whiner: