PDA

View Full Version : DJ to be in radio booth next year

illini81887
12-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Saw it in tribune today, should be official sometime later this week

manders_01
12-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Good news! I know I'm in the minority on here but I like DJ.

GoGoCrede
12-13-2008, 10:35 AM

I do too. For me, there was nothing like hearing Hawk and DJ's voices while watching a Sox game. They got annoying at times, but it was still relaxing.

Although I hope DJ will scrap Dotel's awful nickname.

oeo
12-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Farmer and DJ might make a good team. :dunno:

It has to be hard to work with Hawk. DJ always showed 100% respect towards Hawk, even when Hawk lost it.

Now that we have another guy in TV booth with a big ego, Hawk should be balanced out. Though they may clash at times.

Lukin13
12-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Who says news doesn't get broken in print anymore???

diehardRLsoxfan
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I'll be curious to see how they work together. Who will be doing the play by play or will they be splitting those duties?

Gammons Peter
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Good, DJ is a Pro and I didn't want to hear amature hour again on the radio

Woofer
12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
It will take awhile to get used to hearing DJ on the radio, but I think this will be a good move.

whitem0nkey
12-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Uh-Oh

ChiSox89
12-13-2008, 11:36 AM
yea i liked him too. congrats DJ on the radio job

ebit
12-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Being almost radio exclusive up in Milwaukee I have to say I'm a bit apprehensive about this. Having Steve Stone was great for the last year.

Brewski
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Good news. We are a class outfit toward our employees. I hope he's getting a nice raise to soothe his feelings. I wouldn't worry too much about clashes in the TV booth. The same thing was said about clashes in the radio booth last year and it didn't happen.

WhiteSox5187
12-13-2008, 12:21 PM
I like DJ and think he will make a fine radio analyst...but not with Farmer.

chisox77
12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Good for DJ.

:cool:

champagne030
12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope he's getting a nice raise to soothe his feelings.

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/ans16410170515.h2.jpg

Son, you don't get to be in my position by throwing around raises in the middle of an economic meltdown. Haven't you been watching the news? We're slashing payroll and battening down the hatches trying to ride this thing out.

:KW

Does this mean I have even less than $.75 to spend? Do I need to dump Dye for someone who'll come cheap and maybe help in 2010? Damn, I thought we were just going under the radar and not going through a rebuilding phase.

:DJ

Sweet, I still have job. The only downside is I go from working with one blowhard to another. And your kid, Kenny, should be able to survive these times with that gift of a signing bonus you laid on him last summer.

SaltyPretzel
12-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I hope he's getting a nice raise to soothe his feelings.

He deserves one just for being in the same room with Farmer. I want to tear out my eardrums listening to that pompous blowhard. I can't imagine working with him.

I can't wait for the day that Farmer steps down. I'd love to see Dave Wills up there.

Lip Man 1
12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm actually surprised at this. I know he wanted a TV gig because they pay more but perhaps the market was tighter then he thought or else he may have been told that with respect, he wasn't good enough for some other positions.

I know he took a look at the new MLB Network.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how he adapts to radio after nine years on TV. There are major differences between the two mediums.

Lip

HomeFish
12-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Wow. The market for other gigs must be terrible. I wouldn't want to return to work at a lower rank for the company that decided to replace me.

MarySwiss
12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I do, too; always did. And I'm glad he'll still be with the team, even though I won't get to hear him much.

But I figure I'll run into him one of these days at Chandler Fashion Center. :D:

Chrisaway
12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
"Going going goinnnnnnng goinnnnnnnng gone!!!" :D:

soxfanreggie
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I can't really listen to Farmer, although Stone made listening to him more toleragle. I am glad Stoney is in the TV booth though, as I watch almost all of the games on TV.

chisox616
12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
"Going going goinnnnnnng goinnnnnnnng gone!!!" :D:

You know what though? Every time I hear his home run call, I think of the Sox hitting four dingers in a row, he called the first two IIRC.

Anyways good for DJ. I liked him, overall nice guy but just seemed out of place on TV.

Frontman
12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear DJ is staying with the family. I hope he takes over pbp duties and let Farmio do the commentary.

soxrepublican
12-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Good, DJ is a Pro and I didn't want to hear amature hour again on the radio

Agreed!!

12-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I didn't like him at first, but he gre on me over the years, glad to hear he is staying....I'm surprised he didn't get too many other bids, when he did FOX Sat game, he did a very good job

dickallen15
12-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm glad DJ is staying around. I rarely hear the radio call, but he has improved every season he has broadcasted, he's a hard worker and a great guy.

oeo
12-13-2008, 08:03 PM
http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/ans16410170515.h2.jpg

Son, you don't get to be in my position by throwing around raises in the middle of an economic meltdown. Haven't you been watching the news? We're slashing payroll and battening down the hatches trying to ride this thing out.

:KW

Does this mean I have even less than $.75 to spend? Do I need to dump Dye for someone who'll come cheap and maybe help in 2010? Damn, I thought we were just going under the radar and not going through a rebuilding phase.

:DJ

Sweet, I still have job. The only downside is I go from working with one blowhard to another. And your kid, Kenny, should be able to survive these times with that gift of a signing bonus you laid on him last summer.

:hawk

Dadgummit, champagne030 can't come up with any new material.

johnr1note
12-13-2008, 08:59 PM
This can't be good news. Farmer is hands down the worst play by play guy in MLB. Stone made his stupidity tolerable. DJ can't hold a candle to Stoney. I exclusively listen to the White Sox on the radio, so i see that as a major step backwards. Thank God for XM, where at least we can listen to the road radio broadcasters so I don't have to hear Farmer's drivel for 162 games.

When Stone started with Farmer last season, I actually looked forward to radio broadcasts for the first time since Rooney left. DJ will not be able to fill in, in the same way Steve did. My best guess is this is going to be a replay of the Farmer/Singleton era -- a lot of Farmio centric, banal broadcasting. A step backwards to be sure.

eriqjaffe
12-13-2008, 09:31 PM
DJ will be a downgrade over last year, but an upgrade over 2006-7.

GlassSox
12-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm glad DJ is still with the organization.

chisoxfanatic
12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Farmer and DJ might make a good team. :dunno:

It has to be hard to work with Hawk. DJ always showed 100% respect towards Hawk, even when Hawk lost it.

Now that we have another guy in TV booth with a big ego, Hawk should be balanced out. Though they may clash at times.
Neither Hawk nor Stone has remotely the size of an ego as Farmer. I feel bad for DJ. He's gonna have to deal with Farmer now.

illini81887
12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/12/jackson-to-retu.html

hawkjt
12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I am pleased for DJ that he can stick around the family. And yes, he is like the little brother that gets stuck rooming with the excentric,weird uncle when he is visiting the family. Cept this uncle never leaves.

I fear that Farmio will see this as a renewed license for him to wax whimsical on all things california,golf and ND.
DJ will need a leash to keep him in the here and now..and restrain his own tendency to get goofy at times.

But, hey, never know..could work out better than we envision.:D:

turners56
12-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Saw it in tribune today, should be official sometime later this week

Wow, it's gonna be a nightmare. :whiner:

He's already bad enough on TV, but the radio?

soxrepublican
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Compared to the other 29 teams, I would say the Sox are in the top 10 in announcers, both radio and TV. I have listened to most teams broadcasts, and they are so dull, you could break em.

soxrme
12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I like DJ and am glad he is back. Farmer should go though, Stoney made radio better last year. I love listening to the games on the radio but now with the worst play by play guy we ever ha.

whitesox901
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Im just glad he is off TV...im only human and theres only so much I could handle....

spongyfungy
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
The broadcast booth landscape in Chicago has certainly been shaken up.

Personally I like DJ as a broadcaster. It's his offbeat, weird sense of humor that does it for me.

He'll be different with Farmio that's for sure

Frankfan4life
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Where am I?? :o: I read the first few pages of posts and I thought I was on another planet. It was a virtual love-fest for DJ. What happened to all the DJ haters?

Seriously, I'm happy that DJ is getting a little love. :cool: Much deserved, I say. I'm glad he took the radio job. Perhaps he was promised that he would join Stone on TV once the Hawk retires. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to hear the new Farmer/DJ team when I'm in my car since I can't get the AM1000 signal at home. At any rate, I wish both broadcast teams well.