View Full Version : Joey Gathright?

gr8mexico
12-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Check this out. I think the guy is Superman
He was also non tendered today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySfw8f0beg

btrain929
12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
So instead of extra time in the cage, this is what he does at night. It all makes sense now...

Konerko05
12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
It's too bad the guy can jump farther than he can hit a baseball.

bestkosher
12-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Question is who would you rather have? Joey Gathright or Willy Taveras. With Joey you have a known commodity and you remove a potential White Sox killer. Willy may return to form but he has played in Colorado land of the light Air.

12-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Question is who would you rather have. Joey Gathright or Willy Taveras. With Joey you have a known commodity and you remove a potential White Sox killer. Willy may return to form but he has played in Colorado land of the light Air.

Actually I like both players, Taveras and Gathright.

As I mentioned in another thread though, Taveras is a Boras client. I can't remember if the White Sox have ever signed a free agent represented by Boras. And before anyone says he was non tendered and therefore will be cheap, think again. He was non tendered because he's arbitration eligible and about to get more expensive. Boras will see to it that he gets a good deal because he does have worth, he is a speedy CF who stole a ton of bases. There aren't many of those around and Boras will play that to the hilt. I do not see the White Sox and Boras hammering out a deal for this guy.

Gathright on the other hand ... maybe. He needs a chance and can be useful. However, if you are the White Sox brass, aren't you asking yourself if he's the same player as Jerry Owens? He hits left handed, is fast, has some defensive issues in CF (the Royals had him playing LF a lot), walks on average once every 12 at bats, and is a singles only hitter. Gathright had 4 extra base hits in 279 at bats last year.

Now I'm not an Owens fan and lots of times the grass looks greener on the other side to me, but again, they look like the same player to me. Same age and everything.

We'll see, but I don't see them signing either guy.

California Sox
12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Both these guys are terrible, but Gathright is especially bad. A leadoff hitter who can't get on base? The guy will make 550 outs a year. Please, no.

Tragg
12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Guillen is clearly enamored with Jerry Owens. He put him in CF and left him there for 2 months in 2007, something he's steadfastly refused to do with Brian Anderson; he ran off Ryan Sweeney after 3 weeks in the lost season of 2007. But he left Owens right in the lineup, and even played him at leadoff, despite poor offense and poor defense.
In 2008, Guillen had newcomers Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez and Nick Swisher on the roster. Incredibly, despite the major influx of talent, Guillen had Owens penned as starter and leadoff hitter.
The only way I see Owens not playing a major role is for Williams to get him off this team.

champagne030
12-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Guillen is clearly enamored with Jerry Owens. He put him in CF and left him there for 2 months in 2007, something he's steadfastly refused to do with Brian Anderson; he ran off Ryan Sweeney after 3 weeks in the lost season of 2007. But he left Owens right in the lineup, and even played him at leadoff, despite poor offense and poor defense.
In 2008, Guillen had newcomers Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez and Nick Swisher on the roster. Incredibly, despite the major influx of talent, Guillen had Owens penned as starter and leadoff hitter.
The only way I see Owens not playing a major role is for Williams to get him off this team.

Sadly, I agree. When will Kenny learn he cannot leave these piece of **** toys at Ozzie's disposal? Mack O' Wack, GrindErstad, Owens, Wise, Terrero, Andy ****ing Gonzalez, ect. All of these guys suck and suck hard.

oeo
12-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Sadly, I agree. When will Kenny learn he cannot leave these piece of **** toys at Ozzie's disposal? Mack O' Wack, GrindErstad, Owens, Wise, Terrero, Andy ****ing Gonzalez, ect. All of these guys suck and suck hard.

:lol:

Only two of the guys you listed were in the team's plans...Mackowiak, who wasn't even bad (although a bad centerfielder), and Erstad who was a last resort signing in late February (who was signed by who? Ozzie? Anderson is a AAAA player, get over it.). The other guys have only played because of injuries. That's what we get for having no farm system.

rookieroy
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM

What is there to not be enamored with a player who steals 32 bases in 93 games in his rookie year? Poor offense and defense? Really? Any supporting facts there? I find it amazing how people around here find so many faults with players in their first season. If healthy, Jerry Owens could be a legitimate lead off hitter. I'm not saying a great one, but a decent one.

champagne030
12-13-2008, 10:37 AM
:lol:

Only two of the guys you listed were in the team's plans...Mackowiak, who wasn't even bad (although a bad centerfielder), and Erstad who was a last resort signing in late February (who was signed by who? Ozzie? Anderson is a AAAA player, get over it.). The other guys have only played because of injuries. That's what we get for having no farm system.

:scratch: If not for injury tCQ starts 2008 in Charlotte and Owens is in CF. That's about as dumb as you can ****ing get. Who got injured so Wise could suck? Mack has zero business being in CF and those are his own words. Who forced Ozzie to start GrindErstad? Face it, CF has been a cesspool starting in 2006. The only guy with any skills to man the position has been Anderson. At least he does one thing good. He may never hit a curveball, but if Kenny doesn't think he'll ever do it enough then he needs to get someone legit or Ozzie will continue to overplay guys who completely suck at the plate and in the field.

oeo
12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
:scratch: If not for injury tCQ starts 2008 in Charlotte and Owens is in CF. That's about as dumb as you can ****ing get.

More like Anderson. Quentin got the start on the third game of the season...so who was ahead on the depth chart?

Who got injured so Wise could suck?Quentin? Not to mention Swisher forgot how to swing the bat.

Mack has zero business being in CF and those are his own words.Agreed, but your other option was Brian Anderson who should have still been in Charlotte. Kenny didn't leave Ozzie with any other options.

Who forced Ozzie to start GrindErstad?Again, your other option is a AAAA player.

Face it, CF has been a cesspool starting in 2006. The only guy with any skills to man the position has been Anderson. At least he does one thing good. He may never hit a curveball, but if Kenny doesn't think he'll ever do it enough then he needs to get someone legit or Ozzie will continue to overplay guys who completely suck at the plate and in the field.I'm not shying away from the problems we've had in centerfield. You're right, he does need to get someone legit. Anderson can't hit a beach ball. And you can say all you want about centerfield being a defensive position, this isn't baseball of 50 years ago...if you can't hit, you're not going to start. Anderson starting is not going to get as many fastballs as Anderson off the bench. He will struggle...a lot.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2008, 10:50 AM
More like Anderson. Quentin got the start on the third game of the season...so who was ahead on the depth chart?

Quentin? Not to mention Swisher forgot how to swing the bat.

Agreed, but your other option was Brian Anderson who should have still been in Charlotte. Kenny didn't leave Ozzie with any other options.

Again, your other option is a AAAA player.

I'm not shying away from the problems we've had in centerfield. You're right, he does need to get someone legit. Anderson can't hit a beach ball. And you can say all you want about centerfield being a defensive position, this isn't baseball of 50 years ago...if you can't hit, you're not going to start. Anderson starting is not going to get as many fastballs as Anderson off the bench. He will struggle...a lot.
There was simply no reason going into 2007 to start Erstad over Anderson. None. Anderson's upside, even if he is a "AAAA" player, far eclipses that of the rundown, has been Darin Erstad.

Also, this "if you can't hit, you're not going to start" stuff is complete fluff. No one in CF has hit in recent years for this ballclub. You need to face the facts: when evaluating a player, both their offense and defense come into question. In this case, Anderson's offensive deficiencies are made up for with his above average defense. If he posts an OPS around .720 and plays great defense, there's no one on the roster that can touch him. Anderson has never, in his career, been given the consistent playing time he deserves.

Now, I'm all for acquiring a better CF option, if one exists on the market without a prohibitive cost, but that doesn't seem likely.

Taliesinrk
12-13-2008, 11:02 AM
There was simply no reason going into 2007 to start Erstad over Anderson. None. Anderson's upside, even if he is a "AAAA" player, far eclipses that of the rundown, has been Darin Erstad.

Also, this "if you can't hit, you're not going to start" stuff is complete fluff. No one in CF has hit in recent years for this ballclub. You need to face the facts: when evaluating a player, both their offense and defense come into question. In this case, Anderson's offensive deficiencies are made up for with his above average defense. If he posts an OPS around .720 and plays great defense, there's no one on the roster that can touch him. Anderson has never, in his career, been given the consistent playing time he deserves.

Now, I'm all for acquiring a better CF option, if one exists on the market without a prohibitive cost, but that doesn't seem likely.

Are you serious right now? I'm really not joking either. I guess it could just be a bad memory, but didn't we have this discussion several times over last postseason? I thought you didn't want BA playing and had argued Ozzie had given him a shot. Again, I could be wrong though.

oeo
12-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Also, this "if you can't hit, you're not going to start" stuff is complete fluff. No one in CF has hit in recent years for this ballclub.

Mackowiak hit pretty well. :dunno:

Erstad, while bad, was not a terrible defender and could still outhit Anderson averaging an 162 game season.

You need to face the facts: when evaluating a player, both their offense and defense come into question. In this case, Anderson's offensive deficiencies are made up for with his above average defense. If he posts an OPS around .720 and plays great defense, there's no one on the roster that can touch him.I never said both don't come into an evaluation. But I do not think Anderson's offense is made up for by his defense. He's a very good defender, but he doesn't do much of anything for you offensively. He can't hit for average, he's got some pop but not anything to write home about, strikes out a ton, does not walk...i.e., he's basically an automatic out, a rally killer, etc. Those don't work very well in the AL.

Anderson has never, in his career, been given the consistent playing time he deserves.Hit the ball and earn it.

Now, I'm all for acquiring a better CF option, if one exists on the market without a prohibitive cost, but that doesn't seem likely.Well, since OPS is your #1 thing, then no, there are no other options in your mind.

JorgeFabregas
12-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't want Gathright, but I'd rather have him than Owens. I think he plays a better CF (better reads, though they have similar arms).

I'd rather have Anderson play than either one of them, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Also, I'd prefer that they bring in someone else all together (not Taveras, either), but I don't think that's going to happen.

KRS1
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
What is there to not be enamored with a player who steals 32 bases in 93 games in his rookie year? Poor offense and defense? Really? Any supporting facts there?...

Yes, it's called visual evidence from having watched him play. The guy's swing is horrible and soft, with a ton of lag. I guess that style works for some guys who can actually handle the bat, but sadly, that would not be Jerry. His defense consists of poor reads, bad jumps, and the occasional make up for it with pure speed. As for SBs, big friggin whoop.

Brewski
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes, it's called visual evidence from having watched him play. The guy's swing is horrible and soft, with a ton of lag. I guess that style works for some guys who can actually handle the bat, but sadly, that would not be Jerry. His defense consists of poor reads, bad jumps, and the occasional make up for it with pure speed. As for SBs, big friggin whoop.

Don't forget the noodle throwing arm. He can run fast. Period. That's a one skill player.

Tragg
12-13-2008, 12:38 PM
What is there to not be enamored with a player who steals 32 bases in 93 games in his rookie year? Poor offense and defense? Really? Any supporting facts there? I find it amazing how people around here find so many faults with players in their first season. If healthy, Jerry Owens could be a legitimate lead off hitter. I'm not saying a great one, but a decent one.

He is a slap hitter who doesn't drive the ball. His walking, is well below 10% (and that's not going to get any better under the tutelage of Walker and Guillen). So how's he going to improve? His ground balls either get through the infield or they don't.

Defense- he has a noodle arm, and can't cover CF. Watch him play.

His CEILING is Pods. And LF is no longer available.

Tragg
12-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Owens had a .636 OPS in 2007 - that's hideous and much worse than Anderson's in 2006 or 2008 when "he can't hit a beach ball." So Owen's .636 earns hims 2 months in the 1 hole without being yanked in and out; Anderson gets yanked in and out of the 9 hole. Go get 'em, Ozzie.

Last year's depth chart?
Owens - CF
Dye - RF
Swisher - LF
Uribe 2B

Bench: Alexei, Anderson, maybe Quentin (likely Charlotte).
Owens is hurt. Alexei goes to CF, doesn't hit for 2 days and is benched for virtually 2 months. Now TCQ hit immediately, and thank goodness he did, or he would have likely collected splinters too.
Ozzie puts up with no offense out of Uribe for 2 months and THEN Alexei gets back into the lineup.

Guillen does a nice job with running the team, maintaining the clubhouse; I think his use of the pen is over-critiqued and his evaluation of pitchers is pretty on-the-money (although his bias for veterans hurts some here).
But hitters and fielder? Yikes.

WhiteSox5187
12-13-2008, 01:47 PM

I think the reason Erstad got the nod over BA was two fold, one was that BA had a lousy attitude in '06 and I think Ozzie wanted to send him a message and two is that as I recall BA was back in Charlotte and broke his wrist by early May, so I am willing to bet that Sox personnel figured something was up with his wrist and started Erstad over him for that reason. And while BA may have had more upside that Erstad as a hitter he looked well overmatched in '07. Also it's not like Erstad was a butcher in CF, the guy was a fairly decent CFer.

WhiteSox5187
12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Owens had a .636 OPS in 2007 - that's hideous and much worse than Anderson's in 2006 or 2008 when "he can't hit a beach ball." So Owen's .636 earns hims 2 months in the 1 hole without being yanked in and out; Anderson gets yanked in and out of the 9 hole. Go get 'em, Ozzie.

Last year's depth chart?
Owens - CF
Dye - RF
Swisher - LF
Uribe 2B

Bench: Alexei, Anderson, maybe Quentin (likely Charlotte).
Owens is hurt. Alexei goes to CF, doesn't hit for 2 days and is benched for virtually 2 months. Now TCQ hit immediately, and thank goodness he did, or he would have likely collected splinters too.
Ozzie puts up with no offense out of Uribe for 2 months and THEN Alexei gets back into the lineup.

Guillen does a nice job with running the team, maintaining the clubhouse; I think his use of the pen is over-critiqued and his evaluation of pitchers is pretty on-the-money (although his bias for veterans hurts some here).
But hitters and fielder? Yikes.
Again, Owens started in CF for two months in 2007 because the alternative was Terrero...in ST of 2008 you really had quite a battle for those postions and nothing was really secured one way or the other going into the year. Plan A in CF wasn't Owens, it was Swisher; Owens was probably going to be in LF unless he looked over matched or got hurt, so we did kind of get lucky with Quentin. But with Alexei, you're taking an awful big risk by throwing someone who has never seen American pitching before and throwing him in the starting line up. He went with Uribe at second because at the very least Uribe could play defense, remember Alexei's defense was considered "shakey" at best throughout Spring Training, though to his credit he worked very hard at it and was showing solid improvement by the end of the year. Maybe it's just me but I can see the logic behind what hte Sox were thinking going into '08. Hind sight is always 20/20, but the Sox in the end wound up making the right moves and I think that there is more to luck behind that.

BadBobbyJenks
12-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Again, Owens started in CF for two months in 2007 because the alternative was Terrero...in ST of 2008 you really had quite a battle for those postions and nothing was really secured one way or the other going into the year. Plan A in CF wasn't Owens, it was Swisher; Owens was probably going to be in LF unless he looked over matched or got hurt, so we did kind of get lucky with Quentin. But with Alexei, you're taking an awful big risk by throwing someone who has never seen American pitching before and throwing him in the starting line up. He went with Uribe at second because at the very least Uribe could play defense, remember Alexei's defense was considered "shakey" at best throughout Spring Training, though to his credit he worked very hard at it and was showing solid improvement by the end of the year. Maybe it's just me but I can see the logic behind what hte Sox were thinking going into '08. Hind sight is always 20/20, but the Sox in the end wound up making the right moves and I think that there is more to luck behind that.

Plan A was Swisher for Left Field. He was moved to center when Alexei struggled those first two games. I believe Owens was Ozzie's number one option for CF.

kittle42
12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Owens had a .636 OPS in 2007 - that's hideous and much worse than Anderson's in 2006 or 2008 when "he can't hit a beach ball." So Owen's .636 earns hims 2 months in the 1 hole without being yanked in and out; Anderson gets yanked in and out of the 9 hole. Go get 'em, Ozzie

Horrible.

rookieroy
12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Amazing garbage tragg. Your talking about a rookie. Nice over exageration. If he was that bad then KW, scouts and player development personel should be fired, correct? I'm sure your "visual evidence" is based on the few games you watch on TV and he pissed you off due to an error or two and a bad play at a game you attended.

I saw Owens throw out runners at home 3-4 times in the minors......regarding his noodle arm.

What a waste of a post. Oh, and based on your rookie assesments, you felt the same way of Crede his rookie year? And his second year?

Pleeeeeeease!

KRS1
12-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I saw Owens throw out runners at home 3-4 times in the minors......regarding his noodle arm.

Was he standing in the infield, or was this in the land of delusion?

GMAB, his arm IS noodle, and he IS a horrible fielder.

DaveFeelsRight
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
no more royals players please.

Konerko05
12-13-2008, 05:27 PM
What a waste of a post. Oh, and based on your rookie assesments, you felt the same way of Crede his rookie year? And his second year?

Pleeeeeeease!

Yeah, let's ingore the fact that Crede has always been far more talented than Jerry Owens. Crede also won two MVP awards in the minor leagues.

Jerry Owens is not a talented baseball player. He is a talented runner, with questionable baserunning skills.

FedEx227
12-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm an un-abashed Joey Gathright lover but the guy is really not good, at all. He'd be a great speed option off the bench but he's no different than Jerry Owens. He's shown absolutely zero ability to hit the baseball with any consistency and despite being fast... he's not really a GREAT baserunner or base stealer. Probably a better defender than Owens but that's also not saying much.

I love the man, but no. He is not a very good option on a major league baseball team. But I do relish the opportunity to see him done the Black and White, despite the fact it would make absolutely no sense and be pretty worthless.

champagne030
12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm an un-abashed Joey Gathright lover but the guy is really not good, at all. He'd be a great speed option off the bench but he's no different than Jerry Owens. He's shown absolutely zero ability to hit the baseball with any consistency and despite being fast... he's not really a GREAT baserunner or base stealer. Probably a better defender than Owens but that's also not saying much.

I love the man, but no. He is not a very good option on a major league baseball team. But I do relish the opportunity to see him done the Black and White, despite the fact it would make absolutely no sense and be pretty worthless.

Don't sell him so short. :D:

He is a better option than Owens. I know that's not saying much, but at least Gathright can judge a fly and throw the ball to 2B without a relay man.

FedEx227
12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Outside of that, which he doesn't even too particularly well, he just does better than Owens which is the ultimate tallest midget contest.

SoxNation05
12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Gathright<Owens<play with 8 players<Taveras

BadBobbyJenks
12-14-2008, 01:00 PM
And for anyone still trying to say Jerry Owens was not Ozzie's number one option in center and lead off last year...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1329738,CST-SPT-deluca14.article

''Owens was my leadoff guy until the last week of spring training,'' Guillen said. ''Hopefully, in spring training, those guys show my coaching staff and Kenny and everybody that they can play for a winning team in Chicago.''

Jerry is our centerfielder and will be leading off.

SoxNation05
12-14-2008, 01:19 PM
And for anyone still trying to say Jerry Owens was not Ozzie's number one option in center and lead off last year...

FedEx227
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
...uh.....man....:(:

Tragg
12-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Well, at least Missle and Quentin aren't behind him in the depth chart this time around...Ozzie's figured that one out.

russ99
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Gathright<Owens<play with 8 players<Taveras

You're wrong there. Overall, Taveras = Gathright = Owens. Each have massive flaws that are made up by speed.

Taveras has a great arm but makes absolutely awful reads/jumps and is even worse than Owens at the dish. I rarely see a hit from him leave the infield, and he refuses to bunt.

At least Owens has shown some aptitude to bunt and can hit a line drive every once in a while. His arm and range are his biggest flaws. Gathright has good baseball skills, but none of them are MLB quality. He was rushed and his game has really suffered. I'd not be surprised if someone took a chance on giving him a full year to reboot in AAA.

Owens is a lot cheaper for a similar quality player, so I doubt you'll see the Sox sign one of the other two. If Kenny can't get us a quality leadoff hitting CF, I'm hoping Lillibridge puts together a great spring and wins the leadoff job. Then we'll fight over Owens/Anderson for the 9 spot.

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Taveras has a great arm but makes absolutely awful reads/jumps and is even worse than Owens at the dish. I rarely see a hit from him leave the infield, and he refuses to bunt.

Don't worry. Greg Walker will make sure Taveras swings for the fences.

DaveFeelsRight
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
"Word from WSCR 670 in Chicago (http://www.670thescore.com/) is that the Cubs will sign outfielder Joey Gathright. We've heard the same from a source. Gathright, 28 in April, was non-tendered by the Royals on Friday."

THANK GOD

champagne030
12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
"Word from WSCR 670 in Chicago (http://www.670thescore.com/) is that the Cubs will sign outfielder Joey Gathright. We've heard the same from a source. Gathright, 28 in April, was non-tendered by the Royals on Friday."
THANK GOD

Maybe it was minor league deal. They'll lose Pie because he's out of options and someone will pick him off waivers. Unlike a certain team I know, at least their manager isn't trying to pass off a sack of crap as a starting CF.

oeo
12-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Maybe it was minor league deal. They'll lose Pie because he's out of options and someone will pick him off waivers. Unlike a certain team I know, at least their manager isn't trying to pass off a sack of crap as a starting CF.

And yet you try to pass off Brian Anderson as a starting CF...

champagne030
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM

If the options are Owens, Gathright or Pie, then any sane person would do the same.

Tragg
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Why not? He's stellar defensively and no worse offensively than Ozzie's main-men Owens and Dewayne Wise (both of whom are awful defensive players). In that group of midgets, Anderson stands 10 feet tall.

oeo
12-15-2008, 10:13 PM
If the options are Owens, Gathright or Pie, then any sane person would do the same.

Alright, so you agree that he's not starting quality, but would get the job by default?

Why not? He's stellar defensively and no worse offensively than Ozzie's main-men Owens and Dewayne Wise (both of whom are awful defensive players). In that group of midgets, Anderson stands 10 feet tall.

My point was, Anderson is a 'sack of crap' as well. As the team stands right now, Anderson should be our starting centerfielder, but that doesn't mean he's getting the job because he's on his way to his All Star career.

There are people that think Anderson should have been Plan A in centerfield the last three years.

champagne030
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Alright, so you agree that he's not starting quality, but would get the job by default?

I'd like to see what he could do starting everyday and getting 550 AB's over the course of a season. I know Owens and Wise have no chance of playing the position defensively and I'd advocate a alternate plan if we were really going for it this year (half I don't trust Ozzie to be fair and 1/2 BA just isn't good enough), but since we're taking a step back and rebuilding then I'd just rather see what the only guy with 1/2 a chance can do. As long as, we're going with the "kids can play two" play the guy with the most talent.

kittle42
12-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd like to see what he could do starting everyday and getting 550 AB's over the course of a season.

Me, too, just to shut everyone here the hell up.

russ99
12-16-2008, 08:48 AM

That's what irks me the most about the FOBA's. They want to give their guy a full season to "prove himself" after 597 MLB at bats, including a full chance to win the job in 2006, but at the same time deny other players like Owens or Fields the same chance.

FedEx227
12-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Ahhh... not the Cubs, Joey! I didn't want you on the Sox... but... but not the Cubs.

spawn
12-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Word.

kittle42
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
That's what irks me the most about the FOBA's. They want to give their guy a full season to "prove himself" after 597 MLB at bats, including a full chance to win the job in 2006, but at the same time deny other players like Owens or Fields the same chance.

What's funny is that even if Anderson were handed the starting job in 2009 and went out and hit at Swisher-esque levels by the All-Star break, and then Ozzie yanked him from the starting lineup for lack of production, a group of people would complain because he wasn't given the chance to start the entire season, would scream that he is obviously a "second-half performer," and then would cite Anderson hitting 2-for-5 in his final game before the break as evidence that he was ready to "break out."

kittle42
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3773325

Gathright's a Cub now.

whitesox901
12-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Gathright's a Cub now.

Is he going to take Edmonds spot?

KenBerryGrab
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Gathright's a Cub now.

hah! That's great. Corey Patterson the Return.

guillensdisciple
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Man, Kenny must really like his young guys, for 800,000 dollars a year I would have given Gathright a chance.

Then again, Joey has reached his ceiling, Kenny probably wants players who have a higher ceiling then that. Still, I kinda feel like this organization can make anyone look good. Forgot that we have failed as many times as we have done well.

guillensdisciple
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
hah! That's great. Corey Patterson the Return.

Correy was a five tool player, that guy was supposed to be a monster all around. Joey is a slap hitter, I don't think they have any correlation other then the speed.

spawn
12-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Gathright's a Cub now.
Hmm...makes me wonder if this is the left-handed bat Lou wanted. I doubt it.

Lukin13
12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Felix Pie is out of options and obviously out of town; Unless he were to stay in town, but.....

12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Felix Pie is out of options and obviously out of town; Unless he were to stay in town, but.....

It's an interesting name for someone that's for sure. Lou Pinella doesn't seem to like Pie at all.

The Cubs will get something decent for him, seems to me there would be lots of teams willing to take a chance on the untapped potential.

White Sox did sign another Iowa Cub outfielder though ... Josh Kroeger. Also they signed a speedy 2B, Elder Torres, who was a Cleveland prospect. Minor league deals and they are likely earmarked for Charlotte.

thomas35forever
12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Correy was a five tool player, that guy was supposed to be a monster all around. Joey is a slap hitter, I don't think they have any correlation other then the speed.
That means if he were a Twin, he'd be batting .412 against the Sox.

getonbckthr
12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Joey jumps cars too!
cySfw8f0beg

Frontman
12-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Gathright is the 2008/2009 off-season "World Series Trophy." Cubs fans will now celebrate with joy that a man able to leap a speeding car in a single bound (and he better do it in a single bound, otherwise DL visit time) will end the 101 year drought.

Like Fukudome did. Wait, nevermind.

I meant like when Greg Maddux returned to the Cubs....nevermind.

I meant to say the season after they signed Soriano....nevermind.

SoxSpeed22
12-17-2008, 12:08 AM
It's a matter of time before Felix Pie gets traded.

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 12:56 AM
It's a matter of time before Felix Pie gets traded.

Have been watching him progress, because my father (Cubs fan) has been raving about his play, and I must say I am a pretty big fan.

He hasn't shown anything yet, but his talent is great, and I think it would be a good attempt by the White Sox to get a young talent like that.

Wouldn't have to give up much for him, probably a decent major league ready player.

I hope Kenny is going for it, what a better way to piss of Cubs fans then to steal their prospect, and have him prosper with the White Sox.

oeo
12-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Have been watching him progress, because my father (Cubs fan) has been raving about his play, and I must say I am a pretty big fan.

He hasn't shown anything yet, but his talent is great, and I think it would be a good attempt by the White Sox to get a young talent like that.

Wouldn't have to give up much for him, probably a decent major league ready player.

I hope Kenny is going for it, what a better way to piss of Cubs fans then to steal their prospect, and have him prosper with the White Sox.

Pie just screams typical overrated Cubs prospect. If the Cubs are willing to knock him off the roster for Joey Gathright, then he's not very good.

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Pie just screams typical overrated Cubs prospect. If the Cubs are willing to knock him off the roster for Joey Gathright, then he's not very good.

He is no different from any typical overrated White Sox prospect.. i.e. Joe Borchard. (every organization has those).

This guy, on the other hand, is a five tool prospect. Even if he is a bust, giving up some crappy player/ below average for him, would be worth it just in case the White Sox catch lightning in a bottle. If the Sox develop him to full potential, that would fill our center field void for a long time. I believe it is best to take the risk.

Like I said, nothing better then showing up Cubs fans by using their talent and improving it.

oeo
12-17-2008, 02:01 AM
He is no different from any typical overrated White Sox prospect.. i.e. Joe Borchard. (every organization has those).

The Cubs like to overhype their guys.

This guy, on the other hand, is a five tool prospect.

So was Corey Patterson. :shrug:

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 02:50 AM
The Cubs like to overhype their guys.

So was Corey Patterson. :shrug:

You are right, so was Corey Patterson, but the whole thing about player development is that you don't really know who is going to pan out and who won't. Some players with potential don't go to the bigs, others who come in with less potential end up coming in and producing.

I get your point, but I think a player like that is well worth spending time developing then many others.

Oh and I have never specifically heard the Cubs organization over hype anyone, they, just like every other organization, are interested in their players and state that they have the potential to help and do great things.

The fans overhype, so yes, Cubs fans overhype their players. However, I am almost a hundred percent sure that plenty of White Sox fans have over- hyped their prospects.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 03:11 AM
The White Sox have produced more All-Star outfielders (Lee, Ordonez, Rowand) in the last 10 years than the Cubs have in...... a very, very long time.

oeo
12-17-2008, 04:45 AM
You are right, so was Corey Patterson, but the whole thing about player development is that you don't really know who is going to pan out and who won't. Some players with potential don't go to the bigs, others who come in with less potential end up coming in and producing.

I get your point, but I think a player like that is well worth spending time developing then many others.

The guy is out of options. We can't send him down to develop him, he needs to be on the 25-man roster.

Look, we already have a centerfielder that can't hit in Brian Anderson...do we really need another one on the roster? He doesn't make any sense for us, so we shouldn't be trading anything to acquire him just because we might catch lightning in a bottle.

white sox bill
12-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Nice job Joey, nothing like risking your career car jumping. ANd the press made a big deal about Burls tarp sliding??

oeo
12-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Nice job Joey, nothing like risking your career car jumping. ANd the press made a big deal about Burls tarp sliding??

That video was taped years ago...

guillensdisciple
12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
The guy is out of options. We can't send him down to develop him, he needs to be on the 25-man roster.

Look, we already have a centerfielder that can't hit in Brian Anderson...do we really need another one on the roster? He doesn't make any sense for us, so we shouldn't be trading anything to acquire him just because we might catch lightning in a bottle.

Ye, that makes sense, I guess the Carlos Quentin experience gave me a little too much hope.

Ha, well, in that case I hope he goes somewhere else in the National League and becomes a problem for the Cubs elsewhere.