PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt

Champ Summers
05-22-2002, 02:04 AM
People need to stop knocking Frank (Don't ask for examples, it's all over the f'n board). Most agree he is starting fairly cold after a year wasted, yes? So if the man is tied for 2nd in the league in RBIs with 35, 4th in homers with 9, 2nd in walks with 29, and is hitting .273 after a SLOW start, perhaps his detractors might realize that one of the greatest right handed hitters of recent memory is getting ready to resume a career path we have all grown accustomed to. Since 1990, he has set records, won MVPs and borne the brunt of poor management and poor supporting casts. 2 years of sub-par production (only to his standards) and 1 lost to injury is not only forgivable, when compared to other top notch players, is quite a track record. Under his current contract, the man is a BARGAIN...yes, a BARGAIN. Can you name anyone with those kind of numbers who would sign multi-year for $10M per? Not I. Don't get me wrong, I won't defend things he has said and done, but he doesn't deserve the criticism (and certainly not interviews conducted with his ex-wife) dished his way. He is a Hall of Fame candidate, and a 12 year mainstay in Chicago on da SOX! Viva Frank!

Mathew
05-22-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
People need to stop knocking Frank (Don't ask for examples, it's all over the f'n board). Most agree he is starting fairly cold after a year wasted, yes? So if the man is tied for 2nd in the league in RBIs with 35, 4th in homers with 9, 2nd in walks with 29, and is hitting .273 after a SLOW start, perhaps his detractors might realize that one of the greatest right handed hitters of recent memory is getting ready to resume a career path we have all grown accustomed to. Since 1990, he has set records, won MVPs and borne the brunt of poor management and poor supporting casts. 2 years of sub-par production (only to his standards) and 1 lost to injury is not only forgivable, when compared to other top notch players, is quite a track record. Under his current contract, the man is a BARGAIN...yes, a BARGAIN. Can you name anyone with those kind of numbers who would sign multi-year for $10M per? Not I. Don't get me wrong, I won't defend things he has said and done, but he doesn't deserve the criticism (and certainly not interviews conducted with his ex-wife) dished his way. He is a Hall of Fame candidate, and a 12 year mainstay in Chicago on da SOX! Viva Frank!

Couldn't agree more, although the 10million is not a bargain in the real world, only in the MLB(and that's plain sick)

Kilroy
05-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
People need to stop knocking Frank (Don't ask for examples, it's all over the f'n board). Most agree he is starting fairly cold after a year wasted, yes? So if the man is tied for 2nd in the league in RBIs with 35, 4th in homers with 9, 2nd in walks with 29, and is hitting .273 after a SLOW start, perhaps his detractors might realize that one of the greatest right handed hitters of recent memory is getting ready to resume a career path we have all grown accustomed to.

I also agree wholeheartedly. And I hope we see another 5-6 years of Thomas in a Sox uni, then get to see him retire here as he should w/ no comebacks ala MJ.

How long has it been in Chi-Town since we had a player have a hall of fame career that started and ended here? First one that comes to mind is Payton, then Singletary. I think you can mention Frank Thomas in the same breath as those two. I can't think of one in baseball, so that would be something special all by itself...

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2002, 09:16 AM
And that is how you build a lasting fan base; a connection between the present fan and the teams past present and future (the north side franchise is sustained on that connection). If Ray ends up resigning with the Sox this year he will be another block for sustained fan connection.

As much as Frank has abused his fans we still love him. That is charisma, a rare quality that should be recognized by the front office and nurtured by the p.r. department.