PDA

View Full Version : Sox lose one in Rule 5 draft

KenBerryGrab
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Rotoworld is reporting the Tampa Bay Rays picked Derek Rodriguez 19th in the Rule 5 draft today. Between Birmingham and Charlotte, he had an ERA of 3.29 and 88 strikouts to 33 walks in 79 and a third innings.

Tekijawa
12-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow... and somehow MacDougal fell through the cracks.

Tragg
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Good thing the Sox protected Dewayne Wise.

doublem23
12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Perhaps I don't understand how the Rule 5 Draft works, but according to MLB.com, we also lost Ricardo Nanita, Robert Valido, and Jason Rice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp

KenBerryGrab
12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Perhaps I don't understand how the Rule 5 Draft works, but according to MLB.com, we also lost Ricardo Nanita, Robert Valido, and Jason Rice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp

That was in the minor league portion.

doublem23
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
That was in the minor league portion.

But they're out of our farm system now.

btrain929
12-11-2008, 05:32 PM

My understanding is there are 3 parts to the Rule 5 draft:

Part 1: The Major League Portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team that isn't on the 40 man. But if a team drafts this player, he MUST be on the 25 man roster for the drafting team for the entire season. If not, he usually goes back to the former team. So Rodriguez has to stay on TB major league roster all year, or we get him back.
Part 2 & 3: The minor league portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team's minor league squad (AA, A, etc) from the lower levels, and would be usually bumped up to the next level with their new team (if taken from an A ball team, they'll probably be on the AA team here). So the other 3 guys we lost, they will play for the next level of their new team.

Daver
12-11-2008, 05:48 PM

It's not much of a loss, Valido is a failed high round pick that could never grasp hitting professional pitching, Nanita is a good fastball hitter that struggles with breaking stuff and plays no position passably, and Rice is a relief pitcher that is average at best, none of them deserved protection from the draft.

btrain929
12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
It's not much of a loss, Valido is a failed high round pick that could never grasp hitting professional pitching, Nanita is a good fastball hitter that struggles with breaking stuff and plays no position passably, and Rice is a relief pitcher that is average at best, none of them deserved protection from the draft.

What about Derek Rodriguez? Does he have any shot in the world at being a serviceable MLB reliever? Was he worth protecting?

Daver
12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
What about Derek Rodriguez? Does he have any shot in the world at being a serviceable MLB reliever? Was he worth protecting?

I suppose anything is possible, but for him to still have control issues after four years under Kirk Champion and his staff tells me the Sox have basically given up on him as uncoachable.

jcw218
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
My understanding is there are 3 parts to the Rule 5 draft:

Part 1: The Major League Portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team that isn't on the 40 man. But if a team drafts this player, he MUST be on the 25 man roster for the drafting team for the entire season. If not, he usually goes back to the former team. So Rodriguez has to stay on TB major league roster all year, or we get him back.
Part 2 & 3: The minor league portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team's minor league squad (AA, A, etc) from the lower levels, and would be usually bumped up to the next level with their new team (if taken from an A ball team, they'll probably be on the AA team here). So the other 3 guys we lost, they will play for the next level of their new team.

For every player that a team chooses in this round, it costs $50K. If the player taken does not stick on the 25 man roster one of two things usually happen. 1st he is offered back to his original team for $25k. If that happenes, the team that took him in the rule 5 draft gets back $25K. The other most common option is that a trade is worked between the two teams that allow the new team to retain the player's rights w/o being on the 25 man roster.

Daver
12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
For every player that a team chooses in this round, it costs $50K. If the player taken does not stick on the 25 man roster one of two things usually happen. 1st he is offered back to his original team for $25k. If that happenes, the team that took him in the rule 5 draft gets back $25K. The other most common option is that a trade is worked between the two teams that allow the new team to retain the player's rights w/o being on the 25 man roster.

The team he was drafted from also has the option to give up rights to the player and keep the 50K, the Sox got a pitcher that way a few years ago, but I don't remember his name.

jcw218
12-11-2008, 06:26 PM
The team he was drafted from also has the option to give up rights to the player and keep the 50K, the Sox got a pitcher that way a few years ago, but I don't remember his name.

I think that was Jason Grilli.

Daver
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I think that was Jason Grilli.

That's him.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
If the Sox have such a bad farm system (I'm not including this or last year's draft class in the statement because, one, they weren't eligible to be taken, and, two, I think they were pretty good, particuarly 2008's), how come 4 guys were taken from the Sox? And we picked no one?

Daver
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
If the Sox have such a bad farm system (I'm not including this or last year's draft class in the statement because, one, they weren't eligible to be taken, and, two, I think they were pretty good, particuarly 2008's), how come 4 guys were taken from the Sox? And we picked no one?

Because the Sox chose to leave players that are little more than roster fillers unprotected, there are 29 other teams that have to fill out minor league rosters.

btrain929
12-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Probably because there wasn't any 6'7 or taller pitchers or any corner OF'ers available....

As far as the 3 guys taken from us in the minor league portion, good riddance. That's three bad players I don't have to see in the White Sox minor league box scores anymore.

SoxNation05
12-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Who was the guy that was taken from us last year? I remember everyone got really pissed he was taken.

btrain929
12-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Who was the guy that was taken from us last year? I remember everyone got really pissed he was taken.

RP Fernando Hernandez.

SoxNation05
12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
RP Fernando Hernandez.
Ahhhh, yes. Thanks, the name wouldn't come to my head.

soxfanreggie
12-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Grilli had a decent season last year as a reliever. 3-3 with a save and 4 holds in 60 appearances (75.0 IP); he also had a 3.00 ERA. He has slightly more than 2 years of ML service and makes himself a little more than the minimum. Not a bad outlay for a reliever who throws ok.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-12-2008, 05:19 AM

We got him back I believe.