PDA

View Full Version : 8 Reasons To Get Excited About The 2009 White Sox.

Thome25
12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I know there has been alot of gloom and doom around here. There seems to be a good amount of people on here who think we're in a rebuilding year and we're already out of the playoffs for 2009 and it's only December 2008.

I here to tell you that there's still reasons to get excited about 2009 and here's 8 of them:

1.) Pitchers and catchers report in only 2 months--that's right folks, they'll be in Arizona as fast as you can blink and eye or bat an eyelash.

2.) The Battles We'll See In Spring Training-- If it's Viciedo-Fields-Betemit at 3B or Getz-Nix-Lillibrand at 2B it should be interesting to watch these guys play their tails off for the right to be a starter for our Chicago White Sox.

3.) Our Pitching staff still has 3 reliable starters--Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd. That's more than alot of teams can say. Besides it'll be fun and interesting to see if Danks and Floyd can keep it up and progress even more in 2009.

4.) The Cuban Missle--One of the most fun and exciting players to watch in 2008 is still on our roster. He was an offensive force in 2008 and also made quite a few nifty defensive plays at a position that wan't even his natural one. He gave Robin Ventura a run for his money as the White Sox king of grand slams. He should be fun to watch in 2009 and an interesting sidenote will be to see if he can keep up the pace in 2009.

5.) THE Carlos Quentin--One of the best players in the AL and probably the entire league will be coming back from his injury in 2009. He was the AL MVP in 2008 (I have to apologise to the Red Sawx little Garden Gnome who plays 2nd base.) It'll be fun to see how well he does coming off his injury/rehab.

6.) Paul Konerko and Jim Thome--The two aged veterans in our lineup. PK showed signs of snapping out of his funk at the end of 2008 and hopefully he can carry that over into 2009. Thome is well........Gentleman Jim Thome......I know he may be past his prime but, IMO it'll be fun to watch him add to his HOF HR totals in a Sox uniform.

7.) A.J. Pierzynski--Isn't it just plain old fashioned fun to watch "A.J. being A.J." and play good, smart, hard-nosed baseball and piss off the opposition in the process?

8.) KW Probably isn't done adding players yet--Does anyone honestly think KW is ever done trying to make this a better team?

Alot of us are busy worrying about the players we don't have and what KW is and isn't doing. But, I'm here to say that this is still going to be a fun ballclub with things to watch for and damn good players on it.:D:

hi im skot
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
But what will their jerseys look like?

:redneck

I keed, I keed.

soxfan43
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I know there has been alot of gloom and doom around here. There seems to be a good amount of people on here who think we're in a rebuilding year and we're already out of the playoffs for 2009 and it's only December 2008.

I here to tell you that there's still reasons to get excited about 2009 and here's 8 of them:

1.) Pitchers and catchers report in only 2 months--that's right folks, they'll be in Arizona as fast as you can blink and eye or bat an eyelash.

2.) The Battles We'll See In Spring Training-- If it's Viciedo-Fields-Betemit at 3B or Getz-Nix-Lillibrand at 2B it should be interesting to watch these guys play their tails off for the right to be a starter for our Chicago White Sox.

3.) Our Pitching staff still has 3 reliable starters--Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd. That's more than alot of teams can say. Besides it'll be fun and interesting to see if Danks and Floyd can keep it up and progress even more in 2009.

4.) The Cuban Missle--One of the most fun and exciting players to watch in 2008 is still on our roster. He was an offensive force in 2008 and also made quite a few nifty defensive plays at a position that wan't even his natural one. He gave Robin Ventura a run for his money as the White Sox king of grand slams. He should be fun to watch in 2009 and an interesting sidenote will be to see if he can keep up the pace in 2009.

5.) THE Carlos Quentin--One of the best players in the AL and probably the entire league will be coming back from his injury in 2009. He was the AL MVP in 2008 (I have to apologise to the Red Sawx little Garden Gnome who plays 2nd base.) It'll be fun to see how well he does coming off his injury/rehab.

6.) Paul Konerko and Jim Thome--The two aged veterans in our lineup. PK showed signs of snapping out of his funk at the end of 2008 and hopefully he can carry that over into 2009. Thome is well........Gentleman Jim Thome......I know he may be past his prime but, IMO it'll be fun to watch him add to his HOF HR totals in a Sox uniform.

7.) A.J. Pierzynski--Isn't it just plain old fashioned fun just to watch "A.J. being A.J." and play good, smart, hard-nosed baseball and piss off the opposition in the process?

8.) KW Probably isn't done adding players yet--Does anyone honestly think KW is ever done trying to make this a better team?

Alot of us are busy worrying about the players we don't have and what KW is and isn't doing. But, I'm here to say that this is still going to be a fun ballclub with things to watch for and damn good players on it.:D:

While I agree with all your points, I just hope #8 is correct.

Thome25
12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
But what will their jerseys look like?

:redneck

I keed, I keed.

Just like the one in my signature.:D:

chisoxfanatic
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
If this past year taught me anything at all, it was to wait until games are played before thinking it will just be a rebuilding year. I too thought they didn't stand a chance, but they really proved me wrong. You just never know what will go on in a long season. Guys hardly anyone had heard of (TCM) can come out of nowhere, and other guys can play the role of an offensive leader to levels much higher than expected (TCQ).

GoGoCrede
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :tongue:

#7 is always hilarious. Some of my favorite moments from 2008 are because of AJ - the interference call, his bleached hair, tagging Marquis out at Wrigley because he'd taken a step towards second, THE play at the tiebreaker game, etc., etc. If nothing else, he's always fun to watch.

Lundind1
12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with all 8 points. I don't think things are over either. I know that there has been some talk of Dye going but until an announcement is made, all we can do is wonder.

gr8mexico
12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
9. :bandance:CHURROS!!!:bandance:

soxinem1
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd be happy to see Fields, BA, Richard, and Getz get the opportunity, then sucessfully develop into MLB-quality players, the White Sox contend, and KW looking like a genious for doing so.

Then I can stop harping about not giving our young players a chance to succeed!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

DaveFeelsRight
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
konerko is only 32...though he looks like hes 36

DSpivack
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
9. "The General Moshe" Dayan Viciedio!

SoxyStu
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Doesn't this opinion you state: "it'll be interesting to see if Danks and Floyd can keep it up" mean that they're unreliable...thus, contradict your opinion that our pitching staff still has 3 reliable starters?

Tekijawa
12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
and runs like he's 90

tstrike2000
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
and runs like he's 90

Hopefully, Konerko hasn't quite reached the point yet where 40 and 100 is no longer is performance but his apparent age and plays like age.

khan
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM

I agree with everything you posted, except for #3 here. I think its entirely too early to anoint Danks and Floyd as "reliable." Especially with respect to Floyd.

Danks and Floyd [and Ramirez and Quentin] can just as easily become 1-year wonders as they can be the cornerstones of this teams' near future. I have more faith in Ramirez and Quentin than I do in Danks and Floyd.

Having said this, I believe the 2009 SOX need to add a SP to compete. But its still early in the offseason, so I have hope.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Hopefully, Konerko hasn't quite reached the point yet where 40 and 100 is no longer is performance but his apparent age and plays like age.Huh?

Marqhead
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Huh?

Horribly constructed sentence, but I think I get the jist of it. I think.

hi im skot
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM

and runs like he's 90

Hopefully, Konerko hasn't quite reached the point yet where 40 and 100 is no longer is performance but his apparent age and plays like age.

http://www.siyumhaseinfeld.com/images/chars/bania2.jpg

"Gold, Jerry! GOLD!"

cheezheadsoxfan
12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice upbeat post, Thome25. :smile:

whitesox901
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
9. :bandance:CHURROS!!!:bandance:
:thumbsup:

A. Cavatica
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not at all excited about another year of Konerko, but I am excited about Clayton Richard's short stint and the chance that hitters like Viciedo, Beckham, and Flowers will force their way to the majors ahead of schedule.

guillensdisciple
12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
There is only one reason for me to get excited: White Sox baseball.

Don't care about the outlook; White Sox baseball is coming soon.

Parrothead
12-11-2008, 11:33 PM
and runs like he's 90

konerko can run?:dunno:

SBSoxFan
12-12-2008, 01:27 AM
konerko can run?:dunno:

No. He trots. :tongue:

4 points
12-12-2008, 05:39 AM

7.) A.J. Pierzynski--Isn't it just plain old fashioned fun to watch "A.J. being A.J." and play good, smart, hard-nosed baseball and piss off the opposition in the process?

Did you check your prescriptions for side effects, before consumption?:gulp:

4 points
12-12-2008, 05:41 AM
There is only one reason for me to get excited: White Sox baseball.

Don't care about the outlook; White Sox baseball is coming soon.

Hopefully, not to a funeral home near you.:whiner:

Frater Perdurabo
12-12-2008, 06:46 AM
No. He trots. :tongue:

It's his top speed.

MHOUSE
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with your points, but I would change the words "would be fun" to "will be nerve-wracking" in most instances. While it will be "fun" to watch Floyd and Danks try to duplicate 2008, I will be nervous about them not doing so for a couple months. While it's fun watching guys battle for 2B/3B, I'll be nervous that we won't have a quality regular at either position no matter who wins. I guess I'm being a little glass-half-empty, but until KW makes some more moves I don't know what else to do :gulp: That said, I am still really really excited about 2009 for the Sox and MLB as a whole.

cws05champ
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I don't think we are rebuilding but retooling. I still beleive, whether KW will admit it or not, that they are looking more to 2010 especially if they end up trading Dye.

Who's Lillibrand? Was he cousin of Brent Lillibridge that came over from the Braves?

Three reliable starters? I think alot of teams can say that, and the good teams will boast more than that. Danks I think is the real deal but Floyd needs to progress further to make me a true beleiver.

I still think PK will bounce back next year and hopefully Thome will stay healthy and give us good production that he has the last few years.

soxfanatlanta
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
For crying out loud, it's baseball on the south side! You need no other reason to get excited; everything else is just icing.

[/thread]

whitesox901
12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't think we are rebuilding but retooling. I still beleive, whether KW will admit it or not, that they are looking more to 2010 especially if they end up trading Dye.

Agreed, and to quote KW going into 2007, I'd say were "reloading not rebuilding"

I still think PK will bounce back next year and hopefully Thome will stay healthy and give us good production that he has the last few years.

Agreed, he had a bad hand all year, I see no reason he can't bat at least .270+ with 30+ HR

For crying out loud, it's baseball on the south side! You need no other reason to get excited; everything else is just icing

oh so true :drool:

Thome25
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM

Who's Lillibrand? Was he cousin of Brent Lillibridge that came over from the Braves?

Three reliable starters? I think alot of teams can say that, and the good teams will boast more than that. Danks I think is the real deal but Floyd needs to progress further to make me a true beleiver.

I apolgize for the typo on Brent Lillibridge's name.....give me the benefit of the doubt though.....he's still new.:tongue:

IMO we have 3 reliable starters. IMHO Floyd's breakout year in 2008 was no accident. He's obviously put it all together.......and with the added confidence, may get even better in 2009.

You're obviously a "glass half empty" person.......well, I'm the opposite and proud of it.:D:

areilly
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM

He's the six-armed hellspawn beast forged from the soul of Ted Lilly and the temper of Shea Hillebrand.

ALL HAIL LILLIBRAND!!!

hawkjt
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with everything you posted, except for #3 here. I think its entirely too early to anoint Danks and Floyd as "reliable." Especially with respect to Floyd.

Danks and Floyd [and Ramirez and Quentin] can just as easily become 1-year wonders as they can be the cornerstones of this teams' near future. I have more faith in Ramirez and Quentin than I do in Danks and Floyd.

Having said this, I believe the 2009 SOX need to add a SP to compete. But its still early in the offseason, so I have hope.

I have a ton of faith in Danks...he really has been reliable since the day he walked out to the mound...cept for some late season arm fatigue in 07.
Floyd has sold me also...playoff performance aside, he was our best in september..and he should be brimming with confidence.

I agree with the author that there is a lot to be excited about with the 09 White Sox...defending their crown will not be easy but I believe they will find a way.

4 points
12-14-2008, 06:16 AM
I apolgize for the typo on Brent Lillibridge's name.....give me the benefit of the doubt though.....he's still new.:tongue:

IMO we have 3 reliable starters. IMHO Floyd's breakout year in 2008 was no accident. He's obviously put it all together.......and with the added confidence, may get even better in 2009.

You're obviously a "glass half empty" person.......well, I'm the opposite and proud of it.:D:

You also must be a " Drugs are a terrible thing to waste person".:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: