PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz, Tigers have mutual interest

whitesox901
12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3711622&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det&partnerId=rss_det)

Thoughts?

oeo
12-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thoughts?

What the hell is Dave Dombrowski doing?

doublem23
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Last year he put together a team everyone thought was as shoo-in for the World Series and they totally crapped out on him, so this year he's trying the opposite.

palehozenychicty
12-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Seriously. Just have a fire sale.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Ummm.... Smoltz makes a team crappy? :scratch:

munchman33
12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
If Smoltz had thoughts of joining the White Sox, I'd be ecstatic. That guy pwns big games and the postseason. He's the anti-Javy.

Michstate45
12-11-2008, 12:44 PM
As a Tigers fan, I would just appriciate any reliever that can throw consistant strikes at this point. It got ugly last year at times for the bullpen, and when the veteran presence to turn to was Todd Jones, things didn't get much better.

DumpJerry
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
As a Tigers fan, I would just appriciate any reliever that can throw consistant strikes at this point. It got ugly last year at times for the bullpen, and when the veteran presence to turn to was Todd Jones, things didn't get much better.
It was quite ugly for the Kitties' Bullpen last year. Before one of the Sox/Tigers games last year, they had pitching tips for kids by a Sox scout on the scoreboard and I noticed the guys in the Tigers' bullpen were taking notes......

oeo
12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Ummm.... Smoltz makes a team crappy? :scratch:

If he's healthy? No, but the guy is 41 and coming off of a shoulder injury. If he's their big plan in the rotation, then Tigers fans should be ready for another disappointment.

Oblong
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think he's a big plan but if he's interested then you at least talk to him. Any team that didn't have 5 guys better than he should do that. If he wasn't from Lansing then I doubt there'd be any discussions.

soxinem1
12-11-2008, 03:47 PM
He is a product of their farm system and a Michigan guy. If they are not giving him a boatload of $$$, I'd go for it.

He might actually have a couple years left. And he has balls, something I've always liked about him. His arm literally has to fall off (and has a few times!!) for him not to want to pitch.

When he tried to incorporate a knuckler a few years ago just to keep pitching when his elbow and shoulder were killing him, it was a less-hyped and unfake gutsy moment, unlike the bloody sock guy.

whitesox901
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Wonder if he goes into the rotation or if he's their closer, I'd bet he'd start out of the pen, then move to the rotation if needed/successful closing

soxfanreggie
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I listened to him on the DP show, and he seemed open to anywhere that would take him. I don't know if he plays after this season, but I know he wants to play. I think he'll stay with the Braves if they want him, but they may be going in a different direction. I don't think he'll be ready until at least May.