PDA

View Full Version : Maybe KW wants Manny

Jerksticks
12-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Kinda have to trade Dye now. Stock is highest it can probably get.
Slide Quentin over to right.
Throw a year or two at Manny in left. He is still an absolute beast. Who cares about his D; our left field is like 10 square feet.

At least it's under the radar. That's it.

JSticks

BadBobbyJenks
12-11-2008, 03:04 AM
:smokin: Or :drunken:?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-11-2008, 03:07 AM
:o: .... :?: .... :scratch: .... no. you can rest easy tonight, because this is not something "under the radar". this is a pop-up and kenny has his pop-up blocker on and it's on EXTREME blocking mode.

veeter
12-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Kinda have to trade Dye now. Stock is highest it can probably get.
Slide Quentin over to right.
Throw a year or two at Manny in left. He is still an absolute beast. Who cares about his D; our left field is like 10 square feet.

At least it's under the radar. That's it.

JSticksI like the thinking. I doubt it's happening, but it wouldn't shock me.

ShoelessJoeS
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd love to see Manny is Sox black, but I doubt it will happen.

Domeshot17
12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/971731.jpg This just in, The White Sox may be looking at Manny Ramirez

http://www.big-boards.com/img/thumbs/f1063.jpg NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.sportznutz.com/columns/fan_speaks_out/images_2/kenny%20williams2.jpg Fear Not, White Sox Fans. For Many reasons Manny will not be on our agenda this offseason. For one, Manny is asking for a whole lot of 1 dollar bills, and I only have 35 cents this year to spend, due to this economy and falling value of the US Dollar. However, even if I had lots of 1 dollar bills to spend, I would not on such a player. Manny Ramirez does not say Championship Quality Baseball to me. I don't care how he hits in the clutch, or how great he has been in the playoffs, I know talent, and not just talent, but CHAMPIONSHIP QUALITY TALENT, and it is not Manny. I would take a team full of 9 Darrin Erstads over 9 Manny Ramirezes. Manny is just not a Grinder, and it takes 25 grinders grinding away through the hard grinds and the good to win a Championship. With players like Manny, there would be no reason to grind, and that is just not how the White Sox Operate.
http://www.big-boards.com/img/thumbs/f1063.jpgYAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY

palehozenychicty
12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/971731.jpg This just in, The White Sox may be looking at Manny Ramirez

http://www.sportznutz.com/columns/fan_speaks_out/images_2/kenny%20williams2.jpg Fear Not, White Sox Fans. For Many reasons Manny will not be on our agenda this offseason. For one, Manny is asking for a whole lot of 1 dollar bills, and I only have 35 cents this year to spend, due to this economy and falling value of the US Dollar. However, even if I had lots of 1 dollar bills to spend, I would not on such a player. Manny Ramirez does not say Championship Quality Baseball to me. I don't care how he hits in the clutch, or how great he has been in the playoffs, I know talent, and not just talent, but CHAMPIONSHIP QUALITY TALENT, and it is not Manny. I would take a team full of 9 Darrin Erstads over 9 Manny Ramirezes. Manny is just not a Grinder, and it takes 25 grinders grinding away through the hard grinds and the good to win a Championship. With players like Manny, there would be no reason to grind, and that is just not how the White Sox Operate.

It's so funny and so true. I'd love to see it happen, but know that it won't.

FarmerAndy
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Not even worth talking about, as this will never happen.

However, usually these pipe-dream threads make me laugh because they make absolutely no sense. But I would actually love to see Manny here. I don't care if he is a huge d-bag. The guy can hit like a monster, and the Cell is a launching pad. I'd deal with his subpar defense in left for a season, then move him to DH after this season when Thome is gone.

But either way, it's never gonna happen.

longtimesoxguy
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I'd love it. He is the best player out there. We would be MUCH better with him. It's all about winning!!!

voodoochile
12-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Manny will only be worth it if you are willing to pay his price. I'm guessing that price is north of $20M/year for 4-5 years. Anything less than that, he'll pout and whine and play when he wants to because "it's just not worth playing for this little money". As great as he is, he's all about the money. He views it as a measuring stick of his value to the club and his ego requires he be paid among the league elite. If he's not, there's simply no guarantee you'll be getting a good deal.

Edit: Oh and don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him on the Sox. He's a beast.

munchman33
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Haha...that's some good stuff. :rolling:

johnnyg83
12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm gonna dream for a second but a middle of the order that had:

TCQ (RF)
Manny (LF)
Thome (DH)
Dye (1B, I know, but don't stomp on my dream)

Would be very capable of hitting 160+ HRs.

Add a healthy Fields (20-25)
Alexei (15-20)
AJ (12-18)
2b (8-15)
cf (4-12)

Wow.

Zisk77
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Sure, while we are at it lets get Bonds, Milton Bradley, and sammy soso

whitesox901
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh god no, please?

Flight #24
12-12-2008, 12:11 PM
More likely is the trade of Dye for SP and freeing up cash. So you'd have

Owens (CF)
Getz (2B)
Manny (LF)
TCQ (RF)
Thome (DH)
Paulie (1B)
Fields (3B)
AJ (C)
Alexei (SS)

:bandance:

And a rotation of Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Richards/Marquez/Freddy Garcia-Bailey :scratch:

munchman33
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
.314/.376/.573

Those are Manny's career numbers....in the Metrodome.

I'd give him $30 million a year for 3 years just based on that!

voodoochile
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
More likely is the trade of Dye for SP and freeing up cash. So you'd have

Owens (CF)
Getz (2B)
Manny (LF)
TCQ (RF)
Thome (DH)
Paulie (1B)
Fields (3B)
AJ (C)
Alexei (SS)

:bandance:

And a rotation of Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Richards/Marquez/Freddy Garcia-Bailey :scratch:

If you are going to do that, I think you bat TCQ second and might I add the thought of TCQ batting in front of Manny with Thome and PK to back them up makes me :drool:

but it's not gonna happen, so oh well...

LoveYourSuit
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
You want to talk about putting fans into seats... Manny sells tickets.

OMG for a duo of TCQ and Manny in the same line-up :o:

areilly
12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
I also enjoy consuming large amounts of PCP every now and then.

guillen4life13
12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I also enjoy consuming large amounts of PCP every now and then.

I've been looking for a good source. Got any pointers?

I really like Manny and have for a long time. I think he's an arrogant jerk, but his antics are hilarious. He reminds me of being in Little League getting bored in the outfield and letting his mind wander.

But he knows how to hit. As a hitter the only person I'd rather have on my team is Albert Pujols. So dangerous, especially in the clutch.

OMG, Ozzie and Manny in the same clubhouse. That would be the biggest riot imaginable.

I don't know why the guy hasn't won an MVP yet. IMHO he should have gotten it in 1999, hands down. I don't get how Ivan Rodriguez could have won over him.

white sox bill
12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
:bong:The only thing missing is the Columbian Gold!
On a series note, would the "good" about Manny offset the "bad?

HomeFish
12-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Keep this in mind: Manny Ramirez played for the Indians in the late 90's. Thus, he will play for the White Sox at some point in his late 30's or early 40's.

thomas35forever
12-12-2008, 06:37 PM

This so reminds me of that Snickers Dark commercial.

Anyway, Manny in a White Sox uniform would be awesome. I don't see it happening though. Besides, the local media would just talk about him being a headcase and disrupting clubhouse chemistry.

getonbckthr
12-24-2008, 11:14 AM
With Texiera going to the Yanks it most likely means the Yanks won't sign Manny and Anaheim needs a 1B. I would like to see Konerko to Anaheim for Figgins and Dye traded for Bailey. That would be alot of money going towards Manny. WIth Manny in LF Anderson would need to be in CF. Figgins at 3B and Alexei at SS. Tell those 3 any ball you can get to in LF you do it. Give Manny a 3/75 million dollar offer. In 2010 not only will the Konerko and Dye contracts be gone cause of the trade but so will Thome and Contreras and MacDOugal's. 1st year Manny in LF 2nd and 3rd Manny DH's. depending on how Viciedo, Lillibridge, Field, GEtz and Beckham pan out there is always a possibility of moviing Alexei full time to outfield. As far as 1B for next a guy like Tony Clark or Sean Casey could work on a cheap 1 yr deal unless Kenny and Ozzie feel that a Fields/Viciedo 1Bsystem could work instead.
--------------------------
Lineup wise:
1) Figgins- 3B
2) Alexei- SS
3) TCQ- RF
4) Manny- LF
5) Thome- DH
6) Viciedo/Fields- 1B
7) AJ- C
8) Lillibridge/Getz/???- 2B
9) Anderson- CF (any offense is a bonus. Hell we won a division with a handicapped Griffey and Swisher platoon)
Rotation:
Burls, Floyd, Danks, Bailey, Marquez/Richard/Broadway

soxfan43
12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
With Texiera going to the Yanks it most likely means the Yanks won't sign Manny and Anaheim needs a 1B. I would like to see Konerko to Anaheim for Figgins and Dye traded for Bailey. That would be alot of money going towards Manny. WIth Manny in LF Anderson would need to be in CF. Figgins at 3B and Alexei at SS. Tell those 3 any ball you can get to in LF you do it. Give Manny a 3/75 million dollar offer. In 2010 not only will the Konerko and Dye contracts be gone cause of the trade but so will Thome and Contreras and MacDOugal's. 1st year Manny in LF 2nd and 3rd Manny DH's. depending on how Viciedo, Lillibridge, Field, GEtz and Beckham pan out there is always a possibility of moviing Alexei full time to outfield. As far as 1B for next a guy like Tony Clark or Sean Casey could work on a cheap 1 yr deal unless Kenny and Ozzie feel that a Fields/Viciedo 1Bsystem could work instead.
Lineup wise:
1) Figgins- 3B
2) Alexei- SS
3) TCQ- RF
4) Manny- LF
5) Thome- DH
6) Viciedo/Fields- 1B
7) AJ- C
9) Anderson- CF (any offense is a bonus. Hell we won a division with a handicapped Griffey and Swisher platoon)
Rotation:

Sounds great to me, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The Thomenator
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
If Kenny signs Manny, we would have too many corner outfielders, and thus, would have to trade Dye, lessening his value. Trading Dye for peak value will happen after all of the top tier free agent corner outfielders sign somewhere (I'm making this assumption that teams would rather spend money for a FA instead of young talent and money for Dye). Kenny more than likely would want to get that top value in return for Dye in any trade scenario. The timeline does not add up, but in this case, I wish a time machine existed.

NLaloosh
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
If the Sox got Manny it would probably result in my divorce. My wife hates Manny more than any other player. And, I don't care for him much myself. I'd have a hard time watching the games with my wife and she loves the Sox.

Honestly, to me, Manny is one of those guys that I'd rather lose without him than win with him.

kittle42
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
If the Sox sign Manny Ramirez, I will take my life savings and divide it equally among everyone in this thread who thinks it could happen.

PicktoCLick72
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
If the Sox sign Manny Ramirez, I will take my life savings and divide it equally among everyone in this thread who thinks it could happen.

Well add me into that. Do you need the routing number for my account yet?

champagne030
12-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Lineup wise:
1) Figgins- 3B
2) Alexei- SS
3) TCQ- RF
4) Manny- LF
5) Thome- DH
6) Viciedo/Fields- 1B
7) AJ- C
Rotation:

The salary of that roster does not bring in enough profit, according to Kenneth.

RadioheadRocks
12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Honestly, to me, Manny is one of those guys that I'd rather lose without him than win with him.

I second that emotion. Let "Manny be Manny" elsewhere.

chaerulez
12-24-2008, 01:55 PM
If the Sox got Manny it would probably result in my divorce. My wife hates Manny more than any other player. And, I don't care for him much myself. I'd have a hard time watching the games with my wife and she loves the Sox.

You don't want the Sox to win unless they have players YOU find likable?

It's not like the Sox are going after a criminal like Bonds. Manny can act like an idiot and spoiled child, but he's never done anything like hit his wife (Julio Lugo, Brett Myers) or a plain ******* like Albert Belle was.

Manny on the Sox puts them as the clear favorites to repeat as AL Central champs.

Sargeant79
12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Let me preface my comment by saying that I, for one, think Manny is a Grade A douchebag. That said...

The guy is arguably the best right-handed power hitter of our generation. Everyone thought AJ was the devil incarnate before he signed with us, and that Carl Everett was clubhouse poison...but those guys played nice with their teammates here. Not every situation is the same, nor is every clubhouse. If by some strange combination of events Manny did land on the South Side, I'd be pretty excited about it and more than willing to give him a chance.

Final thought: There's about a snowball's chance in Hell of this actually happening.

RadioheadRocks
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
It's not like the Sox are going after a criminal like Bonds. Manny can act like an idiot and spoiled child, but he's never done anything like hit his wife (Julio Lugo, Brett Myers) or a plain ******* like Albert Belle was.

Manny on the Sox puts them as the clear favorites to repeat as AL Central champs.

Points taken, but like the saying goes, "one monkey don't stop no show".

getonbckthr
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
You would all forgive the Manny antics when in the post season he tears apart Kazmir and Sonnanstine and Price. He'll save some for CC and AJ. Then cap it off by giving the Northside an 08 flashback as we parade down Lasalle one more time!

aryzner
12-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Ozzie's sort of a crazy guy.

Manny's sort of a crazy guy.

I think they might get along well.

RadioheadRocks
12-24-2008, 02:50 PM
You would all forgive the Manny antics when in the post season he tears apart Kazmir and Sonnanstine and Price. He'll save some for CC and AJ. Then cap it off by giving the Northside an 08 flashback as we parade down Lasalle one more time!

Miss Cleo called, she wants her job back.

:cleo

"That I do, mon!"

Zisk77
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Really? How many innings can he throw? Having another slugger (albeit a great one at that) does not makes us the favorites to win the central. how did Cabrera do in Detroit?

getonbckthr
12-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Really? How many innings can he throw? Having another slugger (albeit a great one at that) does not makes us the favorites to win the central. how did Cabrera do in Detroit?
Many factors went into Detroit sucking this year.

kittle42
12-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Win a WS and I don't care if he pees on the OF wall.

getonbckthr
12-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Yep thats how I feel.

LoveYourSuit
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Manny is the type of guy that allows a team to be able to go young at many other positions in one season. He picks up the slack for everyone. The Dodgers line up sucked until he got there. The Red Sox gave themselves the opportunity to develop young players because of him too.

So if you want to hide the weknesses of Owens, Getz, Fields ... trading Dye and getting Manny is not a bad idea.

12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I realize this thread is probably just hypothetical and something fun to dream about, but everyone knows this won't happen, right? Manny is joiined to Boras at the hip. Not to mention Guillen has weighed in on Manny more than once in the past. Not in a "I'd love him on my team" way either.

thomas35forever
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Ozzie's sort of a crazy guy.

Manny's sort of a crazy guy.

I think they might get along well.
Actually, I think it would just be a matter of time before the two got crazy enough to yell in each other's faces and then started to beat the crap out of each other. I'd put 50 bucks on Ozzie.

Brian26
12-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Tell me about it. If Manny guaranteed a trip to the WS and was willing to cut off those annoying-as-hell dreadlocks, I'd take him on the Sox in a heartbeat.

NLaloosh
12-24-2008, 06:05 PM

1. Yes, I do only want the Sox to win with players that I don't hate.

2. Manny does not clinch anything for the Sox.

3. The money would be much better spent on pitching.

btrain929
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM

I don't know the exact story, and I'm not saying they are exactly comparable, but didn't he shove or knock over the team secretary?

kittle42
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
1. Yes, I do only want the Sox to win with players that I don't hate.

Carl Everett was not a quality person.

whitesox901
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
only if he gets rid of the dreds

btrain929
12-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Or.....or.....maybe KW doesn't want Manny.....

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Great comparison. Carl Everett's talent/success warrant him the same amount of clubhouse presence as Manny.
If Everett was half the distraction Manny was in Boston, his ass would've been waived on the spot.

Or.....or.....maybe KW doesn't want Manny.....

Whoa!.. whoa, whoa, whoa... whoooaaaa, whoaaa, whoa.... whoa... whoa.. woo.... you might be on to something...

:scratch:

will that make him a better person? a better player? better looking?
why not ask paul konerko to get some rogaine next? or how about asking aj to stop dying his hair beach blonde and looking like an idiot?

Zisk77
12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Many factors went into Detroit sucking this year.

Agreed, and many factors besides getting Manny would be required to win the central...such as a 4th, and 5th starter, a lead-off hitter, etc.

The point was the poster said getting Manny (which isn't going to happen) would make us the favorites to win the Central. i disagreed and pointed out that many felt the same way about Cabrera to the tigers and they finished in last I believe.

jabrch
12-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Agreed, and many factors besides getting Manny would be required to win the central...such as a 4th, and 5th starter, a lead-off hitter, etc.

Our rotation is STILL at least no worse, if not better than Clev and Det. Our pen is much better.

Are we a lock to win? Nope...but we surely are a contender as is. This division is extremely winnable. If we were in the AL East, I'd have a very different outlook.

whitesox901
12-24-2008, 10:06 PM
will that make him a better person? a better player? better looking?
why not ask paul konerko to get some rogaine next? or how about asking aj to stop dying his hair beach blonde and looking like an idiot?

My bad dude, I thought Teal was implied in my post :redface:

RKMeibalane
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Not happening. If KW couldn't handle Frank Thomas, there's no way he could stomach Manny's antics.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2008, 12:00 AM
My bad dude, I thought Teal was implied in my post :redface:

lol no way guy, i had no clue. some of us around here are natural born smart arses (NBSA) and we say stuff like that, the same way you did, and mean it.

Metalthrasher442
12-25-2008, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't like all the publicity it would get the Sox. If the Sox get a lot of publicity I want it to be because of winning another World Series, or going back to back to back to back. =]

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2008, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't like all the publicity it would get the Sox. If the Sox get a lot of publicity I want it to be because of winning another World Series, or going back to back to back to back. =]

Not that I care, but Manny's antics earn him more attention than our World Series earned us lol. I truthfully don't buy into this off the field bull**** that comes with a player like Manny. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, because I know it does. But it depends on how the team handles it.

And dammit, if the White Sox could handle Jack Parkman, we could handle anyone!

btrain929
12-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Not that I care, but Manny's antics earn him more attention than our World Series earned us lol. I truthfully don't buy into this off the field bull**** that comes with a player like Manny. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, because I know it does. But it depends on how the team handles it.

And dammit, if the White Sox could handle Jack Parkman, we could handle anyone!

It won't let me copy and paste Jack Parkman's pic either. He was the ****ing man.

"Look at the scoreboard, buddha, I'm doin' just fine..."

Mr. White Sox
12-25-2008, 02:11 AM

Worked for this guy:
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/05/cedric%20is%20not%20ricky.jpg

captainclutch24
12-25-2008, 02:25 AM
I'd sign him in a heartbeat. Make it happen

soxfanreggie
12-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Manny has about a 0.01% chance of coming up here. Bringing him here would be inconsistent with our current dealings of shedding payroll and getting younger.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Manny has about a 0.01% chance of coming up here. Bringing him here would be inconsistent with our current dealings of shedding payroll and getting younger.

I wouldn't think the probablity of him singing with us is 1/10,000. With the Dodgers as the only team that is seriously considering acquiring him, the White Sox have a legit chance if they WANT him. I'd say we don't NEED him because we have Konerko, Dye, Thome, and Quentin with his style of play. Unfortunately, Manny is better than all of them (CQ has a chance to come close but Manny is one of the greatest hitters of all time so even if he falls short he'll still be doing great).

That being said, you then have to look at what the probablities are of the Sox wanting Manny. Again, I highly doubt they're 1/10,000. I'd say at least 1/100. :redneck

StillMissOzzie
12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I like the thinking. I doubt it's happening, but it wouldn't shock me.

It would shock the hell out of me!

Because he's still looking for the door in USCF's Green Monster?

Tell me about it. If Manny guaranteed a trip to the WS and was willing to cut off those annoying-as-hell dreadlocks, I'd take him on the Sox in a heartbeat.
Nobody can guarantee a WS appearance, let alone a WS victory. NOBODY.

Now was Albert Belle, and the Sox didn't win **** with him.

And nobody has yet mentioned that Manny is a Bora$ client, either.

Ain't gonna happen, folks. Nothing to see here. Move along.

SMO
:gulp:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2008, 03:09 PM

wow... another one. what does his appearance have anything to do with him as a player???

btrain929
12-25-2008, 03:33 PM
wow... another one. what does his appearance have anything to do with him as a player???

Seriously. It's not as extreme, but do people not remember the ugly ass mullets sported by Crede and AJ awhile back?

RedPinStripes
12-25-2008, 03:37 PM
No way. Ozzie and Kenny will never put up with his bull****. Unless someone wants to play his price which will be at least 20 mill a year, I wouldn't doubt if he sits out a half season claiming he's gonna retire.

He's such a proud swollen headed *******. Manny is a great hitter, but he is everything that is wrong with baseball outside of his hitting.

Ziggy S
12-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Remember when they Good Guys in Black signed Albert Belle and that was supposed to make us a World Series contender? How'd that work out. Manny is obviously a way better hitter and doesn't even come close to being the ******* the way Belle acted, but I'd rather use that money on a starting pitcher or two (paging Derek Lowe, maybe Ben Sheets in addition as long as the contract is four years max and incentive based. Oh and just say no to bringing back Garland). Remember, in baseball pitching is the difference, pitching wins.

Worked for this guy:
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/05/cedric%20is%20not%20ricky.jpg

AHHHHH MY EYES!

btrain929
12-25-2008, 04:15 PM
but I'd rather use that money on a starting pitcher or two (paging Derek Lowe, maybe Ben Sheets in addition as long as the contract is four years max and incentive based.

I don't think I've ever heard of, nor has there ever been, a 4 year incentive-based contract (there's contracts that pay more for certain incentives like A-Rod's, but I know that's not what you're talking about). I think Sheets can be had for 2 years, 3 years would seal the deal. But I just don't see the Sox dishing out that kind of money. Either it'll be Brad Penny for a cheap price, some other veteran coming off injury on a 1 year deal, or we're going with 2 of Richard, Marquez, Poreda, Broadway :angry:, or Egbert if he absolutely dominates in ST.

Lip Man 1
12-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Ziggy:

Belle's signing didn't "work out" for the following reasons...none of which had anything to do with Belle:

1. The decision to make Alex Fernandez a free agent after the new labor agreement was ratified, which totally stunned the White Sox front office and left them with no room to really manuever for more starting pitching.

2. Robin Ventura's gruesome injury and then G.M. Ron Schueler's refusal to do anything to try to compensate for him being out of the lineup. (Despite telling both Chicago newspapers the next day that he'd be getting help via trades.)

3. Ownership deciding to "give up" on the season despite the Sox only being 3 1/2 games out of first place.

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Ziggy:

Belle's signing didn't "work out" for the following reasons...none of which had anything to do with Belle:

1. The decision to make Alex Fernandez a free agent after the new labor agreement was ratified, which totally stunned the White Sox front office and left them with no room to really manuever for more starting pitching.

2. Robin Ventura's gruesome injury and then G.M. Ron Schueler's refusal to do anything to try to compensate for him being out of the lineup. (Despite telling both Chicago newspapers the next day that he'd be getting help via trades.)

3. Ownership deciding to "give up" on the season despite the Sox only being 3 1/2 games out of first place.

Lip

Ahh the angry Sox fan days. I don't miss them.

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Seriously. It's not as extreme, but do people not remember the ugly ass mullets sported by Crede and AJ awhile back?And they were told to cut them. And they did.

wow... another one. what does his appearance have anything to do with him as a player???Because you represent the organization that is giving you insane amounts of money, and part of what they get for that money is some control over how your represent the organization.

It also says that he cares more about himself and what he wants than he does about the team and what the team wants. And that says a lot about a player, and is consistent with Manny playing only when he feels like it.

btrain929
12-26-2008, 12:54 AM
And they were told to cut them. And they did.

And Manny was told in LA to trim up his 'dreads, and HE did. So.....

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2008, 12:56 AM
And Manny was told in LA to trim up his 'dreads, and HE did. So.....The point was about him cutting them off, not trimming them. I couldn't see any difference. LA backed down from what had been team rules to accommodate Manny. My point still stands; Manny only does what Manny wants to do, not what the people paying him huge money want him to do.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Because you represent the organization that is giving you insane amounts of money, and part of what they get for that money is some control over how your represent the organization.

It also says that he cares more about himself and what he wants than he does about the team and what the team wants. And that says a lot about a player, and is consistent with Manny playing only when he feels like it.

I think that's borderline at best. If the guy was running around with a gun, caught using crack, or beating up his wife, then yes, the team should step in and kick his ass anyway they legally could. but if the biggest flaw he has is his hair.... i mean unless lice are vacationing on the guys head and the rest of the ballclub is worried their heads will become lice vacation destinations soon, who cares???

i love how hal steinbrenner took over and giambi grew his mustache (awesome!). george, as we all know, wouldn't allow any facial hair.

let these guys be themselves. as long as they're staying out of trouble and producing, who cares if they paint their faces pink, wear thongs underneath their uniforms, get implants, whatever....ok, ok, the implants would bother me.

btrain929
12-26-2008, 01:03 AM
The point was about him cutting them off, not trimming them. I couldn't see any difference. LA backed down from what had been team rules to accommodate Manny. My point still stands; Manny only does what Manny wants to do, not what the people paying him huge money want him to do.

All I remember is an interview with Torre on ESPN, and he said he asked Manny to "clean it up," which is what Manny did. So I don't think that's that big of a deal.

But I definitely agree with you that his other antics are ridiculous and he ultimately does what he wants to do, and usually doesn't take team input into consideration.

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:08 AM
Seriously. It's not as extreme, but do people not remember the ugly ass mullets sported by Crede and AJ awhile back?

Crede and AJ did not have mullets. They had moderately long hair. A mullet is short on the top and sides while long in the back. I've heard that enough while I was wearing a hat when I had long hair. Your definition of a mullet is wrong.

btrain929
12-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Crede and AJ did not have mullets. They had moderately long hair. A mullet is short on the top and sides while long in the back. I've heard that enough while I was wearing a hat when I had long hair. Your definition of a mullet is wrong.

Or you're just trying to get back at the people that made fun of you by coming at me :tongue:. Do you want me to come up with another name for it? The scumbag shag? The baseball mullet?

Let it go, brother, let it go!

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Or you're just trying to get back at the people that made fun of you by coming at me :tongue:. Do you want me to come up with another name for it? The scumbag shag? The baseball mullet?

Let it go, brother, let it go!

Yeah, I'm projecting.

Or I'm just correcting your mistake.

Scumbag shag? Really?

btrain929
12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Scumbag shag? Really?

Absolutely. Those things were HIDEOUS.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2008, 01:19 AM

btrain isn't the only one that called it a mullet.
many people did, especially in the chicago media.
heck, i remember when sportsclips had 2 girls cut aj and joe's hair during the mike north morning show (a moment of silence... ok that's enough), even north referred to it as a mullet.

Nellie_Fox
12-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I think that's borderline at best. If the guy was running around with a gun, caught using crack, or beating up his wife, then yes, the team should step in and kick his ass anyway they legally could. but if the biggest flaw he has is his hair.... i mean unless lice are vacationing on the guys head and the rest of the ballclub is worried their heads will become lice vacation destinations soon, who cares???

i love how hal steinbrenner took over and giambi grew his mustache (awesome!). george, as we all know, wouldn't allow any facial hair.

let these guys be themselves. as long as they're staying out of trouble and producing, who cares if they paint their faces pink, wear thongs underneath their uniforms, get implants, whatever....ok, ok, the implants would bother me.And if you're the owner, paying the bills, you can run your team this way. However, if another owner, paying people millions per year, tells them they must have crew cuts because that's the image he wants to project, then get the crew cut or get gone. I will always defend the right of the owners to decide on the image they want their team to project.

There's an old cowboy saying: "if you take a man's money, you should ride for his brand."

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:23 AM

Ok, I admit AJ looked horrible. Some people should stick with short hair. Unbleached short hair.

I thought Crede's hair looked fine. It fit his style. He also became a huge hit with the ladies that season.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2008, 01:23 AM

crede was just doing so much wrong it was sad. the scumbag shag WHILE sporting the peach fuzz.... none of us would be going out on a limb if we were to assume that, even as a weatlhy major leaguer, the women were not showing him as much love as they should've been.

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:25 AM
btrain isn't the only one that called it a mullet.
many people did, especially in the chicago media.
heck, i remember when sportsclips had 2 girls cut aj and joe's hair during the mike north morning show (a moment of silence... ok that's enough), even north referred to it as a mullet.

I know he isn't the only one. That doesn't mean it's right. Long hair that is the same length around your head is not a mullet. It's not even close.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2008, 01:27 AM
I know he isn't the only one. That doesn't mean it's right. Long hair that is the same length around your head is not a mullet. It's not even close.

ugly is identical no matter how different it is from other kinds of ugly.

.... are we REALLY discussing other dudes' hairstyles? ....... sooo, how about that local sports team?!....

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:28 AM
ugly is identical no matter how different it is from other kinds of ugly.

That doesn't even make sense.

btrain929
12-26-2008, 01:29 AM

If his hair was that long all around his head, it would have came down to about his chin in the front. And you can't tuck THAT much hair into your hat. It was longer in the back.

I thought Crede's hair looked fine. It fit his style. He also became a huge hit with the ladies that season.

Just because girls liked it doesn't mean it was cool. I bet there's some girls out there that are all over these guys, but it doesn't make their hair acceptable by any means...

http://edwinsoto.net/images/douchebag.jpg

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2008, 01:31 AM
That doesn't even make sense.

nothing i say makes sense... but it makes dollaz!

http://edwinsoto.net/images/douchebag.jpg

that's me on the right and my home slice Craig Grebeck on the left. two words for ya'll: be jealous!

Konerko05
12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm sorry I can't go on with this conversation any longer. It really just hit an all time low.

I apologize to anyone who had to read through that.

btrain929
12-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm sorry I can't go on with this conversation any longer. It really just hit an all time low.

I apologize to anyone who had to read through that.

Keep fightin' the good fight....

Jerksticks
12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
It doesn't matter what Manny costs. I would imagine he is FREE based on the revenue he generates. We probably sell out every game during his tenure, get more national attention, sell millions of Manny jerseys around the world, and have the most dangerous lineup in the majors. Yea, why should we sign the guy. What was I thinking?

JSticks

Thome25
12-26-2008, 02:26 PM
We could add Manny to our collection of former Cleveland Indians from the 1990's. He'd fall right in line with Indians players we've acquired over the years in Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Roberto Alomar, and Jim Thome. Sadly, we couldn't get Omar Vizquel.

areilly
12-26-2008, 02:45 PM
We could add Manny to our collection of former Cleveland Indians from the 1990's. He'd fall right in line with Indians players we've acquired over the years in Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Roberto Alomar, and Jim Thome. Sadly, we couldn't get Omar Vizquel.

What's Paul Sorrento up to these days? Maybe he can fill in at 1B after the Konerko-Figgins deal goes through.

Thome25
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
What's Paul Sorrento up to these days? Maybe he can fill in at 1B after the Konerko-Figgins deal goes through.

Yeah and we can get Carlos Baerga to play 2B and Matt Williams can play 3b.

Brian26
12-26-2008, 08:30 PM
He'd fall right in line with Indians players we've acquired over the years in Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Roberto Alomar, and Jim Thome. Sadly, we couldn't get Omar Vizquel.

Don't forget Herbert Perry :redneck

jabrch
12-26-2008, 09:46 PM
It doesn't matter what Manny costs. I would imagine he is FREE based on the revenue he generates. We probably sell out every game during his tenure, get more national attention, sell millions of Manny jerseys around the world, and have the most dangerous lineup in the majors. Yea, why should we sign the guy. What was I thinking?

JSticks

If you math was true, I have no doubt that we'd have already signed him. I don't believe you can count on Manny to personally sell 750,000+ tickets more than this team sold last year. I don' believe the revenue from the jerseys is as relevant as you think - because it is shared. I highly doubt Manny is worth 75mm in revenues over 3 years. If he were, Boras would have built the case and sold it to someone by now - right?

It's Dankerific
12-26-2008, 10:09 PM
If you math was true, I have no doubt that we'd have already signed him. I don't believe you can count on Manny to personally sell 750,000+ tickets more than this team sold last year. I don' believe the revenue from the jerseys is as relevant as you think - because it is shared. I highly doubt Manny is worth 75mm in revenues over 3 years. If he were, Boras would have built the case and sold it to someone by now - right?

In fairness, it wouldnt be 750,000 more tickets than last year because things are not the same as last year. The are economic concerns which have already been brought up ad naseum. Its merely the difference between what the Sox would sell with Manny next year and without him next year. One of those two numbers will be immeasurable.

Not only that, it wouldnt simply be tickets making up for his salary, but whatever those people who came spent at the ballpark. parking, food, BEER, etc. Those aren't revenue shared.

Plus whatever bump the Sox could get from a postseason berth, if you feel he could be the difference (debatable).

I think the point the original poster was trying to make was that Manny pays for himself a lot more than the average ballplayer. That there is some cache to his name and production that brings paying customers to the ballpark that otherwise would not. Unfortunately, its hard to measure, but that doesn't mean you should discount it so quickly and harshly.

jabrch
12-27-2008, 12:46 AM
In fairness, it wouldnt be 750,000 more tickets than last year because things are not the same as last year. The are economic concerns which have already been brought up ad naseum. Its merely the difference between what the Sox would sell with Manny next year and without him next year. One of those two numbers will be immeasurable.

Not only that, it wouldnt simply be tickets making up for his salary, but whatever those people who came spent at the ballpark. parking, food, BEER, etc. Those aren't revenue shared.

Plus whatever bump the Sox could get from a postseason berth, if you feel he could be the difference (debatable).

I think the point the original poster was trying to make was that Manny pays for himself a lot more than the average ballplayer. That there is some cache to his name and production that brings paying customers to the ballpark that otherwise would not. Unfortunately, its hard to measure, but that doesn't mean you should discount it so quickly and harshly.

He said we'd sell out. That's 750K tickets. He's not going to carry that much revenue. And if signing him would end up being cashflow neutral or positive, don't you think management would do it?

That's a ridiculous assumption.

soxfanreggie
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
If we get Manny, we could just move TCQ to right, Dye to first, trade PK for Figgins, and then bring Garland back, etc.

Being serious now, I don't believe it's worth the investment unless we bring in another pitcher and someone like Hudson.

Frater Perdurabo
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
If KW signed Manny, I'd like to throw some tomatoes at both of them.

:tomatoaward:

Rdy2PlayBall
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Is many really as good as everyone is making him sound? I don't think he is what the Sox need. They do need a good outfielder, but he'd be the only new player we'd see next year with the price tag on him. :?:

btrain929
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Is many really as good as everyone is making him sound? I don't think he is what the Sox need. They do need a good outfielder, but he'd be the only new player we'd see next year with the price tag on him. :?:

Even if we don't sign Manny and his price tag, there's a decent chance there won't be any more "new" players on the Sox next year...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Even if we don't sign Manny and his price tag, there's a decent chance there won't be any more "new" players on the Sox next year...

Is April too early for Herbert Perry Night?

btrain929
12-29-2008, 11:02 PM
*unrolls poster...*

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/season_2003/0524/10.jpg
INSTANT. CULT. HERO!

Fenway
12-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I think Manny will wind up in San Francisco.

It is a very tolerant fanbase and would be amused by Manny being Manny. Boras is quickly losing suitors for him as the Dodgers are now looking at Adam Dunn, the Yankees don't seem to want him nor do the Angels. I suppose Baltimore is possible and I can see the Cubs looking at him. ( he would be a terror at Wrigley )

The Rays are supposedly thinking about it as well as Manny has been a terror at The Trop. Toronto as well might be interested but the recent death of their owner has them in limbo.

He also would be a terror at USCF so KW has to at least be thinking about it. I don't think he would pull crap on Ozzie which is another factor to consider.

LoveYourSuit
12-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I think Manny will wind up in San Francisco.

It is a very tolerant fanbase and would be amused by Manny being Manny. Boras is quickly losing suitors for him as the Dodgers are now looking at Adam Dunn, the Yankees don't seem to want him nor do the Angels. I suppose Baltimore is possible and I can see the Cubs looking at him. ( he would be a terror at Wrigley )

The Rays are supposedly thinking about it as well as Manny has been a terror at The Trop. Toronto as well might be interested but the recent death of their owner has them in limbo.

He also would be a terror at USCF so KW has to at least be thinking about it. I don't think he would pull crap on Ozzie which is another factor to consider.

Manny at the Cell would break every White Sox single season offesnsive record in the book. I am all for it but unless we also figure out #4 and #5 on the rotation, might be Albert Belle all over again.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Manny at the Cell would break every White Sox single season offesnsive record in the book. I am all for it but unless we also figure out #4 and #5 on the rotation, might be Albert Belle all over again.

Ok... you got me. I now want Manny on the Sox... in centerfield.

Sam Spade
12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
He certainly wouldn't break every record on the book. He would have a shot at HR and RBI. Frank in his prime was a better hitter. Manny might end up playing injured for half of the season.

LoveYourSuit
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
He certainly wouldn't break every record on the book. He would have a shot at HR and RBI. Frank in his prime was a better hitter. Manny might end up playing injured for half of the season.

I will have to disagree on that. As much as I love Frank Thomas, Manny has accomplished more in less time than he did. The guy has a career 1.00+ OPS compared to about a .970 for hurt.

FarmerAndy
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I will have to disagree on that. As much as I love Frank Thomas, Manny has accomplished more in less time than he did. The guy has a career 1.00+ OPS compared to about a .970 for hurt.

You're looking at overall career numbers.

Sam was saying that Frank was a better hitter IN HIS PRIME. And I agree.

Manny has had the better career, as he has sustained his level of performance over a longer period of time. Frank had a good decade and then his skills began to decline. But if you look at Frank in his prime, he was a better hitter than Manny.

No question on who I'd rather have right now, though. :D:

LoveYourSuit
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
You're looking at overall career numbers.

Sam was saying that Frank was a better hitter IN HIS PRIME. And I agree.

Manny has had the better career, as he has sustained his level of performance over a longer period of time. Frank had a good decade and then his skills began to decline. But if you look at Frank in his prime, he was a better hitter than Manny.

No question on who I'd rather have right now, though. :D:

I can agree on that. It's tight, but I can see it either way. Frank was the most feared RH hitter of his time. Manny maybe a close second.

Gammons Peter
12-30-2008, 01:52 PM
I would love to have him on the Sox, too bad Kenny is going young and rebuilding

It's Dankerific
01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
On the new MLB network, Barry Larkin said they did a study and Manny adds 5000 seats a game. Thats over 400k seats in a year, thats a pretty good deal.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
On the new MLB network, Barry Larkin said they did a study and Manny adds 5000 seats a game. Thats over 400k seats in a year, thats a pretty good deal.

With the economy as is, that'll only makeup for the 5,000 seats per game decrease we'll probably face this season.

I still would like to see him on the White Sox.

drewcifer
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I really can't see any chance or sense in going after Manny while Dye is here. Move Dye for pitching, then it's possible.

Foulke You
01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I would love to have him on the Sox, too bad Kenny is going young and rebuilding
Agreed. Manny would require at least $18-22 million per year over at least 3 years. Does this sound like a White Sox free agent signing to you especially when we have already cut payroll down this year? Nope. Manny's agent is Scott Boras, a man we don't deal with anymore. Yet another strike against us. I'm also skeptical that Manny would behave under Ozzie. Those two large personalities seem like they could *possibly* get along but it could also be the biggest disaster ever. Francona basically let Manny get away with murder and stayed out of his way and that still didn't work out in Boston after several years. Ozzie isn't the type to stay out of anyone's way. He will tell Manny (and the media) exactly what is on his mind and that could be a volatile situation. I would be absolutely stunned if we signed Manny.

Jurr
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Agreed. Manny would require at least $18-22 million per year over at least 3 years. Does this sound like a White Sox free agent signing to you especially when we have already cut payroll down this year? Nope. Manny's agent is Scott Boras, a man we don't deal with anymore. Yet another strike against us. I'm also skeptical that Manny would behave under Ozzie. Those two large personalities seem like they could *possibly* get along but it could also be the biggest disaster ever. Francona basically let Manny get away with murder and stayed out of his way and that still didn't work out in Boston after several years. Ozzie isn't the type to stay out of anyone's way. He will tell Manny (and the media) exactly what is on his mind and that could be a volatile situation. I would be absolutely stunned if we signed Manny.
Exactly, exactly, and......exactly.

RadioheadRocks
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Uh-oh... I sense the forbidden "A" word!!!

ChicagoHoosier
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Too bad I have DISH Network and therefore can't get the MLB Network.

It's Dankerific
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Too bad I have DISH Network and therefore can't get the MLB Network.

I've never heard anything good about the DISH network, yet many have it. What are the benefits??

I loved DirecTV when I could have it and I can deal with Comcast even though I miss Sunday Ticket..

gosox41
01-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Wonder what kind of study that was. I'm pretty sure the Red Sox attendence didn't fall off a cliff when Manny was traded, nor will it next where.

If the study conisted of a small sample size of Dodger games, then one can argue the sample size.

As for being on the road, the Red Sox tend to be a big draw everywhere as well as the Dodgers.

GO_U_WHITESOX
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Did you say Owens in CF? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo