PDA

View Full Version : Mark Teixeira?

BadBobbyJenks
12-10-2008, 11:37 PM
You think Kenny will.... Just kidding

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox are "getting close" to signing him. They would have to figure out what to do with Lowell, but it makes a lot of sense.
What better way to stick it to the Yankees than announce that signing the day before they even have the C.C press conference.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8922020/Wednesday-MLB-winter-meetings-blog

btrain929
12-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Teixeira - Red Sox.
PK - Angels, Figgins - here.

I don't know if that should be in teal or not.

Holler.

johnnyg83
12-11-2008, 12:14 AM
That Red Sox lineup could be pretty sensational ... I'd take Drew and Tex in exchange for Manny ,,, move Youkilis to 3b ... SS and C would be their only weak spots.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
That Red Sox lineup could be pretty sensational ... I'd take Drew and Tex in exchange for Manny ,,, move Youkilis to 3b ... SS and C would be their only weak spots.Okay, the use of ellipses ( ... ) as an "all-purpose" punctuation (meaning "I don't know what punctuation to use, so I'll just use three dots) is getting annoying, but what the hell does three commas mean?

guillensdisciple
12-11-2008, 12:52 AM
okay, the use of ellipses ( ... ) as an "all-purpose" punctuation (meaning "i don't know what punctuation to use, so i'll just use three dots) is getting annoying, but what the hell does three commas mean?

hahahahaha.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Let us turn this into the "Mark Teixeira Megathread"

The latest article about him (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spyanks1218,0,858603.story) states that the Yankees have not made an offer to him nor do they think they will make one especially "if the money gets too rich" (is that even possible for the Yankees?).

The "rumored" offers so far...
Red Sox: 8 years, unknown amount
Angels: 8 years, $160mm+
Nationals: 8 years, $160mm
Orioles: 7 years, $140-$150mm

I truthfully think it's down to the Angels and Red Sox. I don't see why he wouldn't sign with the Red Sox if the money is close enough (say $10mm or less overall).

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Let us turn this into the "Mark Teixeira Megathread"

The latest article about him (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spyanks1218,0,858603.story) states that the Yankees have not made an offer to him nor do they think they will make one especially "if the money gets too rich" (is that even possible for the Yankees?).

The "rumored" offers so far...
Red Sox: 8 years, unknown amount
Angels: 8 years, $160mm+
Nationals: 8 years, $160mm
Orioles: 7 years, $140-$150mm

I truthfully think it's down to the Angels and Red Sox. I don't see why he wouldn't sign with the Red Sox if the money is close enough (say $10mm or less overall).

I'm one always screaming to spend money ... but damn anyone handing out that kind of money for a 1B is pretty darn sick. Texiera's career OPS is .919 compared to a guy like Paulie with a career .843. And I think Paulie is way over-paid for his now diminished skills.

12-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Okay, the use of ellipses ( ... ) as an "all-purpose" punctuation (meaning "I don't know what punctuation to use, so I'll just use three dots) is getting annoying, but what the hell does three commas mean?.

What one comma mean?

Frater Perdurabo
12-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm one always screaming to spend money ... but damn anyone handing out that kind of money for a 1B is pretty darn sick. Texiera's career OPS is .919 compared to a guy like Paulie with a career .843. And I think Paulie is way over-paid for his now diminished skills.

Consider the peripherals on Teixeira. In addition to being a better hitter and baserunner than Paulie, he's four years younger than Paulie, a switch-hitter with good power from both sides, and better defensively. That being said, I wouldn't want the Sox to sink $160M over 7 years into Teixeira, either.

JohnTucker0814
12-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Consider the peripherals on Teixeira. In addition to being a better hitter and baserunner than Paulie, he's four years younger than Paulie, a switch-hitter with good power from both sides, and better defensively. That being said, I wouldn't want the Sox to sink $160M over 7 years into Teixeira, either.

Why wouldn't you want them to sink $160M into Tex? I would! I'd love to have him. Now if that was the only good player we could have because we sank so much money into him, then sure that wouldn't be good. Be ideally, YES, I wouldn't mind them sinking that much money into Tex, it's not my budget!

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2008, 08:54 AM

No question he is way better than Paulie, but let's look down the line when he catches up to Paulies age and that contract is only 4 yeas in with 4 years to go at $20 million + per year. I think Arods ability to play 2 premier positions like 3B and SS is what justifies his contract at what it is. Same goes to a Beltran at CF. Manny? I don't think so either.

Frater Perdurabo
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Why wouldn't you want them to sink $160M into Tex? I would! I'd love to have him. Now if that was the only good player we could have because we sank so much money into him, then sure that wouldn't be good. Be ideally, YES, I wouldn't mind them sinking that much money into Tex, it's not my budget!

If the Sox had a Yankees-like budget, and already had A-Rod, then sure, I'd be fine with spending that kind of money on Teixeira.

But we all know that the Sox impose a budget upon themselves. Knowing that, I'd prefer they put relatively more of their resources into pitching, and go with talented young position players who execute the fundamentals and run the bases well, instead of putting resources into top-dollar superstars.

Frater Perdurabo
12-18-2008, 10:48 AM
No question he is way better than Paulie, but let's look down the line when he catches up to Paulies age and that contract is only 4 yeas in with 4 years to go at $20 million + per year. I think Arods ability to play 2 premier positions like 3B and SS is what justifies his contract at what it is. Same goes to a Beltran at CF. Manny? I don't think so either.

I agree. A-Rod and Beltran are five-tool players and play premier defensive positions at a really high level. Teixeira doesn't play a premier defensive position. And while he's nowhere near Manny's level of immaturity, there have been quiet allegations about Teixiera being a clubhouse jerk in Texas.

Scottiehaswheels
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd prefer they go with talented young position players who execute the fundamentals and run the bases well, instead of putting resources into top-dollar superstars.Where can we find a few of those? I don't see that in the plans for '09 yet.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree. A-Rod and Beltran are five-tool players and play premier defensive positions at a really high level. Teixeira doesn't play a premier defensive position. And while he's nowhere near Manny's level of immaturity, there have been quiet allegations about Teixiera being a clubhouse jerk in Texas.

The rumblings have drifted that he's A-Rod light for a long time. I think he'll be the best investment by far in the whole sweepstakes, since he plays first and is very durable. It'll be interested.

NLaloosh
12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm I the only one that thinks that Mark Texiera is overrated?

$ 200 mil. for a first basemen ? He should be BETTER than Albert Pujols for that money.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM

$ 200 mil. for a first basemen ? He should be BETTER than Albert Pujols for that money.

Exactly. He's nowhere near that level of player.

FedEx227
12-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Pujols is the man, probably the best player in the league, but they aren't too far apart, obviously Pujols trumps him career-wise, but they aren't complete opposites either.

Pujols: .334/.425/.624, 42 HR, 128 RBI, 170 OPS+

Teixeira: .290/.378/.541, 36 HR, 121 RBI, 134 OPS+

What's even worse is everytime I see Albert Pujols' stats I can't believe he doesn't get as much love as he should... those are ridiculous numbers for someone who is just NOW turning 28.

Thome25
12-18-2008, 01:32 PM

I personally wouldn't want the White Sox to sink that much money into one player but, I can see why his value is that high. He's young, a pretty damn good hitter, can switch hit, and can throw some pretty good leather. Also, he still has even more potential.............he may get even better because we probably haven't seen his peak yet.

NLaloosh
12-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree with what has been said about Tex. - the guy's a great player, no doubt.

But, his offensive numbers are not amazing. They are not Pujols-like or even Frank Thomas-like.

Could he get better? Yeah, maybe.

But, to me a first baseman will never be as valuable as a good defender at another position. So, ARod is infinitely more valuable playing 3B or SS than a guy like Tex. So, I don't see why they should make similar money when ARod's stats are even better.

To me, Chase Utley, Chipper Jones(if healthy), Matt Holiday, Hanley Ramirez, Nick Markakis, Josh Hamilton, David Wright, Jose Reyes, etc. should be worth as much or more than Tex.

FedEx227
12-18-2008, 06:58 PM
He's a great defender at 1B though.

It does beg the question though is Hanley Ramirez more valuable as a well-below average SS with great offensive potential as Tex with great offensive potential and above-average skills at a inherently unimportant defensive position?

champagne030
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
He's a great defender at 1B though.

It does beg the question though is Hanley Ramirez more valuable as a well-below average SS with great offensive potential as Tex with great offensive potential and above-average skills at a inherently unimportant defensive position?

I don't know about other examples, but I'd certainly sign Ramirez before Teixeira. You could still move Hanley to 3B or 2B, where he'd be above average defensively (or average at worst). You can sign any schmuck that would put up 270/340 with decent production, that won't kill you at 1B, for $5-6M per - see Wigginton, Ty. And I'm not advocating the Sox sign Wigginton, but if we spent the money wisely he'd be a fine substitute for Walnuts.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Ummm.... Boston just went from having a Red Sox jersey made to fit Teix and now... they're completely out of the race for him???

Link to article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html)

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay, the use of ellipses ( ... ) as an "all-purpose" punctuation (meaning "I don't know what punctuation to use, so I'll just use three dots) is getting annoying, but what the hell does three commas mean?

What one comma mean?

LOL! Well played!

SMO
:D:

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Ummm.... Boston just went from having a Red Sox jersey made to fit Teix and now... they're completely out of the race for him???

Link to article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html)

The price of playing poker keeps going up. So who's bluffing who now?

SMO
:gulp:

Lukin13
12-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Angels out of the running?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/angels-withdraw.html

He is one of the few guys I would overpay for. Switch hitting, plus defender, with plenty of pop.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Angels out of the running?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/angels-withdraw.html

He is one of the few guys I would overpay for. Switch hitting, plus defender, with plenty of pop.

Well, let the the PK/JD threads get up and running again.

BadBobbyJenks
12-21-2008, 11:46 PM
I thought it at the time and now I have to say it. Kenny Williams trading Swisher before Teixiera signed was stupid. We would be in a great position with the Angels right now, but we have no back up plan for Konerko now.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I thought it at the time and now I have to say it. Kenny Williams trading Swisher before Teixiera signed was stupid. We would be in a great position with the Angels right now, but we have no back up plan for Konerko now.

I agree. There was no reason to jump so early, not with the half ass package he received from the Yankees. Swisher sucked bad last year but he was still a good trading chip to have for something bigger IMO especially when the rest of the FA chips began to fall. I don't know what we have as back up option to Paulie unless Josh Fields or JD or going to be converted in Spring Training.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree. There was no reason to jump so early, not with the half ass package he received from the Yankees. Swisher sucked bad last year but he was still a good trading chip to have for something bigger IMO especially when the rest of the FA chips began to fall. I don't know what we have as back up option to Paulie unless Josh Fields or JD or going to be converted in Spring Training.

There was no reason to trade the guys we traded for Swisher in the first, first place lol. Ryan Sweeney > Nick Swisher.

BadBobbyJenks
12-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Ryan Sweeney > Nick Swisher.

Sigh.

johnnyg83
12-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Man, I hope he ends up with the Nationals ...

Good player, yes ... ARod? No.

20 million+ a year for .300 40 100? And we're thinking of trading Dye?

sorry it's .290 36hr 121rbis

DSpivack
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
There was no reason to trade the guys we traded for Swisher in the first, first place lol. Ryan Sweeney > Nick Swisher.

:rolling:

DSpivack
12-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Man, I hope he ends up with the Nationals ...

Good player, yes ... ARod? No.

20 million+ a year for .300 40 100? And we're thinking of trading Dye?

sorry it's .290 36hr 121rbis

Yeah I looked up his career averages, you were pretty close. He's a very good player, but not a great one. I can see paying Manny 20 mil a year, but not Teixeira.

LoveYourSuit
12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah I looked up his career averages, you were pretty close. He's a very good player, but not a great one. I can see paying Manny 20 mil a year, but not Teixeira.

I've never seen Texiera as a "game changer" type guy. Maybe it's because his career stats have been kind of inflated after plaiyng most of his career in Tex. Hed did pretty well in Atl and Ana, but I need to see a bigger sample size before handing out that kind of money.

IMO, game changers who deserve what they are getting paid today:

A-Rod, Pujols, Manny, Morneu, Johan, Roy Haliday.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Sigh.

:rolling:

It was a joke ladies... The two player comparison. The trade itself can be viewed as a joke now also. But hindsight is 20/20 and Kenny has made more good moves than bad moves so I won't ask for him to be removed.

btrain929
12-22-2008, 12:40 AM

I love you, but stop it.

Edit: You were joking, phew.

LoveYourSuit
12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
It was a joke ladies... The two player comparison. The trade itself can be viewed as a joke now also. But hindsight is 20/20 and Kenny has made more good moves than bad moves so I won't ask for him to be removed.

I don't blame Kenny for making that move after getting burned by Tori.

Lukin13
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM

While very illegal, I imagine it had something to do w/ the Viciedo signing.

soltrain21
12-22-2008, 08:36 AM
While very illegal, I imagine it had something to do w/ the Viciedo signing.

Why is that illegal? Freeing up money to sign a different player is illegal? News to me.

Lukin13
12-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Why is that illegal? Freeing up money to sign a different player is illegal? News to me.

I was eluding to possible collusion between the WSox and Yanks.

You scratch my back, I won't scratch my signature on Viciedo's contract offer.

News to you.

soltrain21
12-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I was eluding to possible collusion between the WSox and Yanks.

You scratch my back, I won't scratch my signature on Viciedo's contract offer.

News to you.

That doesn't even make sense.

Lukin13
12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
That doesn't even make sense.

Just because I am a nice guy I will spell it out for you:

Obviously, it is a stretch, but Swisher was dealt to the Yankees for a less than stellar return, very early in the offseason. At the exact same time several teams were trying to sign Viciedo; the Yankees and White Sox were considered the favorites to sign him.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06112008/sports/yankees/bombers_eye_3b_er_from_cuba_114930.htm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-viciedo111208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns (about halfway down, says he was working out for the Wsox and Yanks)

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if KW was in talks with the Yankees for Swisher and he told Cashman if they lay back on throwing money at Viciedo, that he would accept the offer on the table for Swisher.

Capiche?

Steelrod
12-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Obviously, it is a stretch, but Swisher was dealt to the Yankees for a less than stellar return, very early in the offseason. At the exact same time several teams were trying to sign Viciedo; the Yankees and White Sox were considered the favorites to sign him.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06112008/sports/yankees/bombers_eye_3b_er_from_cuba_114930.htm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-viciedo111208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns (about halfway down, says he was working out for the Wsox and Yanks)

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if KW was in talks with the Yankees for Swisher and he told Cashman if they lay back on throwing money at Viciedo, that he would accept the offer on the table for Swisher.

Capiche?
Sounds like another Watergate to me !

Craig Grebeck
12-22-2008, 09:15 AM
I've never seen Texiera as a "game changer" type guy. Maybe it's because his career stats have been kind of inflated after plaiyng most of his career in Tex. Hed did pretty well in Atl and Ana, but I need to see a bigger sample size before handing out that kind of money.

IMO, game changers who deserve what they are getting paid today:

A-Rod, Pujols, Manny, Morneu, Johan, Roy Haliday.
Morneau is a solid first baseman, but Teixeira's a good bit better. Mark's career OPS+ is 134, to Morneau's 122 (OPS+ is park adjusted). In terms of defense, they are on the same plane, but I'd consider Teixeira better.

Craig Grebeck
12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Agree.

Lukin13
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Not teal, not funny.

soltrain21
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Capiche?

Get up ball. Stretch.

Rocky Soprano
12-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Not even close!

:tealpolice:

Steelrod
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Not even close!

:tealpolice:Kinda close!