PDA

View Full Version : (Name of Player here) ???

btrain929
12-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Today's topic: Adrian Beltre.

(If you don't wanna contribute and are just thinking of cute one-liners to drop, don't. Or do, but it's gotta be really funny).

Pro's of acquiring him:
-He plays better defense and has a better arm than any of our 3B candidates at the moment.
-Is not a base clogger.
-Only has 1 more year left on his contract, hopefully giving Viciedo 1 year in AAA to mash, hone his defensive skills, and be ready in 2010. So, no long-term commitment.
-Hit a ton better on the road when he was away from that god-awful place to hit: Safeco.
-With the M's trading away Putz and loading up on prospects, they cannot have any serious intention of competing this year. Therefore, prospects (I don't think it'll require top notch ones) should get the deal done.
-And one of the most important, as of right now, he's a Type A compensation player. With another average-good year, he should remain such. Then we can play it out just like the Cabrera situation: let him walk, collect 2 draft picks, and keep rebuilding the farm. He'll be 30 when he hits the FA market, so he'll definitely want at least 1 more 3-4 year contract.

Con's of acquiring him:
-Low OBP (.327, but it was .349 on the road).
-His salary this year is 12MIL.
-Can't leadoff or play CF.

If we're down on Fields, and truly don't think he is our long-term solution, I think SEA would jump all over having 4-ish years of Fields + 1 or 2 prospects in exchange for just 1 year of Beltre. When he leaves, we get our picks, and we can either have Viciedo ready for full-time duty at 3B, or put him in RF and make a run at Figgins when he's a FA after the '09 season to play 3B and leadoff.

Alright, let me have it.

Domeshot17
12-11-2008, 12:32 AM
pass

We are going cheaper and younger this year. Its a rebuilding year, no matter how its spun. Lets give Fields a year to show us what he is made of, so we finally know. A year of Beltre on a .500 team does nothing for us, a year of Fields on a sub .500 team does a lot more, because we see what he can do.

chunk
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
No idea what it would take to get him, but he plays awesome D. And if he plays the way he did his last contract year, I'd be willing to give up a decent amount.

oeo
12-11-2008, 12:37 AM
No idea what it would take to get him, but he plays awesome D. And if he plays the way he did his last contract year, I'd be willing to give up a decent amount.

Not unless he reunites his ass with a needle.

soxfanreggie
12-11-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree with Domeshot. I doubt we bring on anyone with a huge payroll amount. I also wouldn't be surprised if we traded Dye in the next couple weeks to lower the payroll even more and to stock up on more prospects. If we are truly rebuilding and don't plan on resigning him after next season, we have to ask ourselves-is it worth it to keep him for a year and then lose him? (Yes, we could offer him arbitration and take the draft picks).

Kenny could completely surprise me, but I think all of his moves have shown we are going younger and cheaper.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Speaking of 3rd baseman, I just heard today that the sox were going after Jorge Cantu.

Interesting....

Konerko05
12-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Speaking of 3rd baseman, I just heard today that the sox were going after Jorge Cantu.

Interesting....

That's old news and I hope it stays that way.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2008, 01:44 AM
That's old news and I hope it stays that way.

Dur de dur

I was being facetious.

Konerko05
12-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Dur de dur

I was being facetious.

Yeah it didn't really come across.

Scottiehaswheels
12-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Delmon Young.

I said this one way back when on the crazy speculative trade/occurance thread. Since then he's reportedly fallen out of favor with Gardenhire. I have no idea what we could trade to the Twins to acquire him however and I'm not it would be worth it, but what the hell.

Boondock Saint
12-11-2008, 03:33 AM
He isn't my first choice for this team. I'd much rather have that salary put in CF. I think having Fields at 3rd and a guy making ~12m in CF is better than having Beltre at 3rd for ~12m and having Owens or Anderson in CF.

sox1970
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Bobby Abreu? NY Daily News says the Sox are the favorites if they move Dye.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/10/2008-12-10_yankees_wont_wait_forever_on_andy_pettit.html

palehozenychicty
12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Delmon Young.

I said this one way back when on the crazy speculative trade/occurance thread. Since then he's reportedly fallen out of favor with Gardenhire. I have no idea what we could trade to the Twins to acquire him however and I'm not it would be worth it, but what the hell.

I would take him in a nanosecond. He's got all the tools.

I also think that Ozzie could be a positive influence on him.

Ozzie does have a good relationship with his brother, who also had knucklehead tendencies.

There's just no way Minnesota will give him to us unless they get folded. :tongue:

Zisk77
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think the twinkies are down on D. Young at all. Thier problem is they like Gomez and Span. And they were proactive by signing Mauer, Morneau, and Cuddyyer to lucrative long term deals. The former 2 were a stroke of genius but the latter's contract now appears as an albatross on the twinkies neck (too bad we aren't talking about seattle with my allusions). So like Dye, Delmon is the easiest player to trade that should net quality in return. they would rather move Cuddyer but he is generating about the same interest as thome (but for different reasons).

khan
12-11-2008, 01:47 PM
not unless he reunites his ass with a needle.
+1

Tekijawa
12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I heard Terry Bevington was in Vegas at the baseball meetings and gave Ozzie a hug... Maybe we can bring him back as Bullpen coach or something?

kittle42
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I heard Terry Bevington was in Vegas at the baseball meetings and gave Ozzie a hug... Maybe we can bring him back as Bullpen coach or something?

Maybe he can teach Ozzie some new bullpen signaling moves..

Tekijawa
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe he can teach Ozzie some new bullpen signaling moves..

How do you signal for the guy that isn't warming up anyway?

PaleHoser
12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I heard Terry Bevington was in Vegas at the baseball meetings and gave Ozzie a hug...

I'd rather watch him hug Phil Garner. Might make a good pay-per-view.

I think Beltre would put up better numbers in Chicago than Seattle due to ballpark and lineup depth.

I'd pass on Abreu, even if Dye is traded. If JD is moved I'd move Quentin to RF and look for young/speed/leadoff guy for LF.

I've pitched Willy Taveras in previous threads, but it looks like he may be damaged goods (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3712372&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col).

gr8mexico
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Matt Kemp & Clayton Kershaw and prospect
For
Bobby Jenks and Jermaine Dye

SoxNation05
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd rather watch him hug Phil Garner. Might make a good pay-per-view.

I think Beltre would put up better numbers in Chicago than Seattle due to ballpark and lineup depth.

I'd pass on Abreu, even if Dye is traded. If JD is moved I'd move Quentin to RF and look for young/speed/leadoff guy for LF.

I've pitched Willy Taveras in previous threads, but it looks like he may be damaged goods (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3712372&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col).
I would rather see you type with the right color.

btrain929
12-11-2008, 08:56 PM
For

:bong:

gr8mexico
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
:bong:
Sure you got some

kittle42
12-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah it didn't really come across.

I thought it did.

Konerko05
12-12-2008, 05:07 AM
I thought it did.

I'm sorry. I guess my "What's The Score?" humor isn't quite on par with you two.

I'm sulking if you couldn't tell.

4 points
12-12-2008, 05:51 AM
For

After they get finished laughing, why don`t you ask them to throw in Kuroda.:D::D:

Jurr
12-13-2008, 12:31 AM
What do you think about signing Eric Gagne? He's awesome!

Or, wait. It really doesn't matter because Kenny isn't reading WSI to find out what people think about signing every random person that A.)Comes available or B.)Already is available.

I understand it's supposed to be mindless chatter to pass the time until someone is signed, but come on. Adrian Beltre? Wha????

What about signing Barry Bonds?
Eric Davis?
Jose Paniagua? I heard Ozzie loves him.

btrain929
12-13-2008, 12:43 AM
What do you think about signing Eric Gagne? He's awesome!

Or, wait. It really doesn't matter because Kenny isn't reading WSI to find out what people think about signing every random person that A.)Comes available or B.)Already is available.

I understand it's supposed to be mindless chatter to pass the time until someone is signed, but come on. Adrian Beltre? Wha????

What about signing Barry Bonds?
Eric Davis?
Jose Paniagua? I heard Ozzie loves him.

Is there a "con" mixed into that babble somewhere that you'd like to discuss?

HomeFish
12-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Yhency Brazoban and Scott Proctor were no-tendered by the Dodgers.

Jurr
12-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Is there a "con" mixed into that babble somewhere that you'd like to discuss?
Dude, I honestly have no idea where that came from. Oh, wait. I do. Whiskey. Lo siento mucho.

pmck003
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
For

The Dodgers do have Delwyn Young who may be cheap. He posted real good numbers in AAA two years ago but didn't do much with the big club last year. Scouting says he dealt with an elbow injury all season which he had surgery on in October. Also says he is over-aggressive at the plate and I don't know how good of a CF he would be (has moved around from infield to outfield).

KRS1
12-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Daniel Cabrera got non-tendered too, and I believe Kenny's had some interest in him ever since he dominated us in his first big league start. I'd be down with taking a gamble on his arm regardless of his lack of control.