PDA

View Full Version : Priormania!

Viva Magglio
05-21-2002, 09:40 PM
The greatest human being ever to set foot on the pitching mound will start for the Cubs on Wednesday night. I cannot believe how "ga-ga" the media has gone over the arrival of Mark Prior to Wrigley Field. The newspapers couldn't wait to do full page spreads on Prior, doing so one day early! I hate to imagine what Wednesday's morning dailies will look like.

If we had such a phenom pitcher coming up and making his first big league start for the White Sox, the media's reaction would not be nearly as close to the orgy it is having over Prior's arrival. I bet this is true. Prior is good, but the Cubs will not clinch the 2002 World Series championship with his arrival.

Coincidentally, I saw Mark Prior pitch when he was in college. Last year, I was in Tucson to see the White Sox in spring training. That Friday night, the Arizona Wildcats were hosting Prior's USC Trojans. Prior three-hit the U of A in an 8-0 victory over the Wildcats. It was a bizarre game in which all eight runs given up by Arizona were unearned.

Back to the issue at hand, I don't even think the arrival of Kerry Wood has been greeted with so much fanfare! This morning on the Score, Dan Bernstein and Terry Boers perfectly satirized this spectacle by having caller inflate expectations for Prior. "He will easily strike out 27 Pirates," the callers obliged.

This is proof of the media's bias. As I opined three paragraphs ago, such a pitcher making his debut with us would not get nearly as much attention. Nothing personal, but nothing would please me better than to see Prior get his ears pinned back. I could only imagine the subsequent reaction from the Fourth Estate then!

baggio202
05-21-2002, 09:48 PM
thats nothing...foxsports broke away from regular programming to go to mark prior's press conference..thats right..he had a press conference before he threw his first pitch..lol

Tavarin
05-21-2002, 09:53 PM
Now wouldn't it be funny if on his first pitch from the mound he either hurts himself or gives up a leadoff homer.

Viva Magglio
05-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
thats nothing...foxsports broke away from regular programming to go to mark prior's press conference..thats right..he had a press conference before he threw his first pitch..lol

Hell, not even the President of the United States can get his press conferences covered live all the time.

kevingrt
05-21-2002, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't it just be cool for a Sox fan, to just see Prior be a total bust. I mean that would be hilarious. The media would die, I think some of them might commit suicide. The Cubs would close down for the rest of the season not like they already have, but it would just be hilarious.

I really want him to do well though, because he seems like a good guy and a great pitcher.

Garrison
05-21-2002, 10:00 PM
On the CubWGN news tonight they had whole interview with Prior and called him the best college pitcher ever. He's been billed as the greatest pitcher of all time without even throwing a pitch in the majors. I wouldn't be surprised for him to be a bust, at least initially and have the entire media eating their words. They did a 30 second blurb about our BoSox win and they spent easily 5-10 minutes on Prior. Jeez talk about this city's bias.

Procol Harum
05-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Hell, not even the President of the United States can get his press conferences covered live all the time.

He's no Mark Prior, mister. :D:

FanOf14
05-21-2002, 10:13 PM
That's why I don't bother much with local news. I was watching Baseball Tonight (that's what came on after the hockey game - Go Whalers!!!) and they mentioned about Konerko and Ordonez have been having really good years so far and that Thomas is coming around as well. There really isn't too many places where the Sox get decent coverage, but I have found that when the Baseball Tonight does get around to the Sox (as long as they are playing some media favorite of a team), they provide decent coverage.

I hope Prior falls on his face mostly because of the over coverage and secondly because he's a scrub.

Viva Magglio
05-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
That's why I don't bother much with local news. I was watching Baseball Tonight (that's what came on after the hockey game - Go Whalers!!!) and they mentioned about Konerko and Ordonez have been having really good years so far and that Thomas is coming around as well. There really isn't too many places where the Sox get decent coverage, but I have found that when the Baseball Tonight does get around to the Sox (as long as they are playing some media favorite of a team), they provide decent coverage.

:boston
See, I told ya!

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2002, 10:53 PM
I had to laugh, watching Fox Chicago's lead-in to the sports news, with Wally Jacobson practically salivating over Mark Prior to Corey McPherrin. Needless to say, the Prior story took precedence over everything else, including the Sox win, the Flubbies double-header, Sham-ME's zinger, or even the NBA or NHL playoffs.

I have nothing against Prior, personally. He actually seems like an incredibly normal kid who is handling the disproportionate media pressure like a pro. It's just that he has been anointed as the Greatest College Pitcher Ever as if that GUARANTEES he will dominate in the Majors.

Garrison
05-21-2002, 10:57 PM
There are no gaurantees in baseball. That's fuh sho.

DVG
05-22-2002, 02:51 PM
:moron

Mark Prior is the pitching version of my Sammy!!!! The second
coming!!!!! He has my vote for the Hall of Fame!!!! All of you
infidels will pay for your blasphemy!!!!