PDA

View Full Version : The Nationals Offer Teixeria 8-Years $160 Million.

Thome25
12-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not complaining here but, I don't always understand the economics of MLB. How the hell can the Nationals afford to offer Teixeria a contract worth 8 years and 160 million when they're perennial cellar dwellers and they don't draw very well?

The Orioles offered 7 years and $150 million--again another bad team that doesn't draw very well.

Meanwhile, the White Sox are a large market club who draws pretty well can't afford a huge contract? I don't want the White Sox to pay that amount for one player per se but, the economics here are intriguing.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Here's the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3711491&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

chisox616
12-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, I think the Nats or O's are willing to incur some debt if signing Tex means higher ticket sales. That's my guess :shrug:

munchman33
12-10-2008, 11:30 PM
How the hell can the Nationals afford to offer Teixeria a contract worth 8 years and 160 million when they're perennial cellar dwellers and they don't draw very well?

They have very little money tied into current payroll. Last year, their payroll was only $54 million, 5th lowest in all of baseball. With revenue sharing, they probably easily turned a profit.

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
They don't have a ton of money tied in old vets right now which helps. We could pretty easily afford the deal, it just doesn't make sense with the path we are going down. We have a 1b as well. The sox have not lost money in a long time, yes, they are run more economical and ran like a business, and the people who that means the most too do very well from it.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Maybe they're brain dead? Just sayin'.

oeo
12-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Meanwhile, the White Sox are a large market club who draws pretty well can't afford a huge contract? I don't want the White Sox to pay that amount for one player per se but, the economics here are intriguing.

With Thome and Konerko, they really can't. If they could somehow unload one of the two, paying Teixeira would be money well spent, IMO. Only 28, switch-hitting power hitter who plays very good defense. Even 7-8 years I would be in favor of.

DSpivack
12-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Maybe they're brain dead? Just sayin'.

Even if they can afford it, I just don't see how signing him would make any sense. They're in a rebuilding mode, no wait, they're in a building mode. I don't see how signing Teixeira would really help them in the long-term. They're a long ways off.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Even if they can afford it, I just don't see how signing him would make any sense. They're in a rebuilding mode, no wait, they're in a building mode. I don't see how signing Teixeira would really help them in the long-term. They're a long ways off.

It's a start. Would you rather they play dead and not try?
It's not like they have a number of young superstars about to become arb eligible that they'll have to shell out dough to. Ryan Zimmerman is about it. Might as well spend it. If they land Teixeira, Nick Johnson gets dealt and possibly to Oakland.

Chicken Dinner
12-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Too many years!!

whitesox901
12-11-2008, 02:47 AM
They're probably gambling that Tex can be the big attraction and draw crowd like Ichiro in Seattle, or maybe they are confident they have the tool to build a team around him

guillensdisciple
12-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Oh my.

Hitmen77
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm not complaining here but, I don't always understand the economics of MLB. How the hell can the Nationals afford to offer Teixeria a contract worth 8 years and 160 million when they're perennial cellar dwellers and they don't draw very well?

The Orioles offered 7 years and $150 million--again another bad team that doesn't draw very well.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Here's the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3711491&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Perhaps they're getting some good revenues from their new ballpark. Plus, isn't DC a fairly big market?

esbrechtel
12-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Isn't Tex from the Baltimore area? Getting a hometown boy does wonders for ticket sales...

doublem23
12-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Isn't Tex from the Baltimore area? Getting a hometown boy does wonders for ticket sales...

Not to mention the Nats and O's are largely unwatchable as they are.

palehozenychicty
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah, he's from Severna Park, Maryland, and played ball in the Baltimore school system.

Angelos has wanted him for a long, long time and will counter every penny of the Nats' offer.

asindc
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Perhaps they're getting some good revenues from their new ballpark. Plus, isn't DC a fairly big market?

Well, considering that the owners' refused to pay rent to the city earlier this year, coupled with some of the highest concession prices in the majors, I think the mega-rich owners of the Nats can afford to offer this kind of deal.

Hokiesox
12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Teixeira is a local guy here in Washington, too. My wife works in his hometown. They must be hoping he sells tickets. I just don't see it happening, outside of the Redskins, this town is completely apathetic about its sports. They just don't care.

MeteorsSox4367
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
As someone who watches the Nats on a regular basis on Extra Innings, they desperately need another bat in the lineup other than Zimmerman. When he's been injured and unable to play, their offense has very little - if any - punch.

At least having Zimmerman and Teixeira on the corners and hitting Nos. 3 & 4 gives Washington some kind of offense.

Jollyroger2
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Teixeira is a local guy here in Washington, too. My wife works in his hometown. They must be hoping he sells tickets. I just don't see it happening, outside of the Redskins, this town is completely apathetic about its sports. They just don't care.

The Capitals draw, they just needed a guy like Ovechkin to get the fans sparked again after the Jagr disappointment. And they have a lot of great young talent and will be very good for a long time, their top minor league team for example is 20-5-1. I've been to a few games and most of them have been sellouts or close to it.

Baseball is another story. The Nationals drew well their first season, even playing in old RFK Stadium, then attendance slipped and then even last year it was fairly apathetic for a newly built stadium. Interest has slipped way, way down with a really awful team on the field. Everyone keeps talking here about how great the farm system is, but it really isn't. There isn't much to be excited about even for the future. Not sure why they're suddenly offering a mountain of money and years to Texieria, who while a very good player, probably isn't a draw of someone like A-Rod or Manny....or even Soriano who the Nationals had for a brief time.

Like others have already said, this doesn't improve them all that much. They have so many holes you'd think the money would be better spent going after mutiple guys at more reasonable costs then one big bat, especially when the division is already pretty formidable with the world champs and a Mets team that's added some key pieces this offseason too.

Hokiesox
12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
The Capitals draw, they just needed a guy like Ovechkin to get the fans sparked again after the Jagr disappointment. And they have a lot of great young talent and will be very good for a long time, their top minor league team for example is 20-5-1. I've been to a few games and most of them have been sellouts or close to it.

Baseball is another story. The Nationals drew well their first season, even playing in old RFK Stadium, then attendance slipped and then even last year it was fairly apathetic for a newly built stadium. Interest has slipped way, way down with a really awful team on the field. Everyone keeps talking here about how great the farm system is, but it really isn't. There isn't much to be excited about even for the future. Not sure why they're suddenly offering a mountain of money and years to Texieria, who while a very good player, probably isn't a draw of someone like A-Rod or Manny....or even Soriano who the Nationals had for a brief time.

Like others have already said, this doesn't improve them all that much. They have so many holes you'd think the money would be better spent going after mutiple guys at more reasonable costs then one big bat, especially when the division is already pretty formidable with the world champs and a Mets team that's added some key pieces this offseason too.

I thought about the Caps too. You're right about them. I guess I should have said the town is fickle, aside from the Redskins. As soon as a team starts losing, and the Nats will even with Teixeira, people won't come and the team will be unable to pay him. Heck, they still owe the city money on the stadium that's overdue because they didn't sell enough seats. I can almost see the city suing them if they offer this much money to one player.

Thome25
12-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I thought about the Caps too. You're right about them. I guess I should have said the town is fickle, aside from the Redskins. As soon as a team starts losing, and the Nats will even with Teixeira, people won't come and the team will be unable to pay him. Heck, they still owe the city money on the stadium that's overdue because they didn't sell enough seats. I can almost see the city suing them if they offer this much money to one player.

Why would MLB take a struggling franchise like the Expos and move them to a fickle market like DC? It sounds like they're going to have some of the same problems they did when they were in Montreal.

At the very least it sounds like they may have the same problems that both Senators franchises had before they moved out of DC.

nccwsfan
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Too many years!!

Agreed, but it seems like more quality free agents are adding opt-out clauses into their contracts (A-Rod, JD Drew, AJ Burnett, CC Sabathia just to name a few). Even if someone signs him to an 8 year contract chances are that Teixeria would play a few seasons with his next team, opt-out, and try to land one more payday.

khan
12-11-2008, 11:51 AM
YES!!! :D:

I like this possibility for a number of reasons:
1. Another stupid MLB franchise doles out a stupid contract, which screws them in a bad economy.
2. Teix is out of the AL.
3. LAAAAAA now need a 1st baseman.
4. Konerko might be moveable, just as easily as JD.
5. IF Konerko is moved, [yes I know about the 5/10, the NTC, etc...] but IF he is moved, then maybe Josh "sissorhands" Fields can occupy 1st base instead of being piss-poor at 3rd.
6. [Again] IF Teix moves to washington, and LAAAAA need a 1st baseman, and IF Konerko is moved to LAAAAA for Figgens + other pieces, then the 3rd base question could be solved, the leadoff man could be solved, and JD could stay here.
But then, I admit this is way too early to tell. More likely, Teix stays with LAAAA. Konerko stays here. JD is moved. Fields continues to strike out and make errors at 3rd. Owens leads off for us in '09. :(:

asindc
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Ding, ding, ding! DC fans are fair-weather except when it comes to the 'Skins.

Jollyroger2
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Ding, ding, ding! DC fans are fair-weather except when it comes to the 'Skins.

Even the Redskins have become more transient. A 90,000+ seat stadium and on any given home date you can find thousands of tickets available for sale on brokers, ebay, etc. Especially if the Redskins are lousy or mediocre. DC and its suburbs are a huge metro area with tons of people and an economy that's usually better than most areas. But there are very few "home grown" fans. Most people grew up or started somewhere else then came here and adopted some of the local teams, but always liking the teams from where they came from first.

The Capitals when I first moved here had a decent sized but nothing special hardcore fan base. Then they lost some people when they moved downtown, then the disastrous Jagr signing turned off many of the hardcore hockey fans they had. Now they've rebuilt the right way, and could be a serious contender for many years with the talent they have. Tickets are tough to come by for the first time since 1998. They've got a good team with some very good, young, dynamic players. Hockey fans in general I think are pretty fickle, unless you're in Montreal or Toronto, etc. Look at teams like the Blackhawks, who despite a deep tradition and history were averaging tiny crowds for years and years. Now with better management and good, young, talent, they're packing fans in again.

The Nats though have very little to interest people. I went to a few games and while the stadium is nice, the team is boring, there's nothing to really appeal to anyone to go, unless you're a visiting Mets or Phillies fan, etc. The baseball is downright bad. Zimmerman is the big marketing piece but honestly, it's not like he's a 40-HR slugger or something. He's a solid player sure, who's put up good numbers, but I don't see him as a bona-fide allstar.

Add to that the fact the owners seem more interested in scraping up other teams cast-offs, projects, and re-treads, instead of going after talented players that can actually help the team, and the good baseball fans in this town stopped forking over cash to watch essentially a AA team get pounded every night. Then every time a big name free agent comes up the Nats ownership gives the "well we tried but we can't compete with the Yankees, etc" nonsense. Puke. So it would really shock me if they did land Texieria.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
YES!!! :D:

I like this possibility for a number of reasons:

1. Another stupid MLB franchise doles out a stupid contract, which screws them in a bad economy.
2. Tex is out of the AL.
3. LAAAAAA now need a 1st baseman.
4. Konerko might be moveable, just as easily as JD.
5. IF Konerko is moved, [yes I know about the 5/10, the NTC, etc...] but IF he is moved, then maybe Josh "sissorhands" Fields can occupy 1st base instead of being piss-poor at 3rd.
6. [Again] IF Tex moves to washington, and LAAA need a 1st baseman, and IF Konerko is moved to LAAAA for Figgens + other pieces, then the 3rd base question could be solved, the leadoff man could be solved, and JD could stay here.
But then, I admit this is way too early to tell. More likely, Tex stays with LAAAA. Konerko stays here. JD is moved. Fields continues to strike out and make errors at 3rd. Owens leads off for us in '09. :(:

I had to read that twice because I thought you were implying that Teixeira (Teix not Tex lol) signing with the Nationals would remove the TEXas Rangers from the AL... Man, talk about a guy with power!

khan
12-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I had to read that twice because I thought you were implying that Teixeira (Teix not Tex lol) signing with the Nationals would remove the TEXas Rangers from the AL... Man, talk about a guy with power!

Noted. Edited.

EnglishChiSox
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it would be a mighty good investment for the Nats, their pitching is starting to mature a bit, they added Olsen who can be a top of the rotation guy from what i saw in Florida. Redding and Lannan are fairly reliable. Bergmann showed a little something. Tyler Clippard and Hanrahan (Could be the closer after they let go Cordero) and Garrett Mock are good Bullpen guys. Most of their pitching will be younger than 28ish when it comes to opening day. They also have a good man manager it seems in Acta.

A lot of their OF's have been highly regarded sometime or another and still have youth on their side, it's not like their side is struggling and clogged up with Vets like Seattle the only question for Teix is does he want to wait a couple of years for the team to develop together and does he want to be the leader of the team.

It would be nice to see him go to somewhere like Washington, he's one of my favourite non Sox players, just gets his job done and doesn't seem to have the big ego and not too much of a distraction.

Tekijawa
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Looks like the Nats might need a bail out with that contract... $20 Mil a year? WOW... You don't even have to be the top guy at your position any more to make 20+Million any more.