PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rips Cubs again!

Tavarin
05-21-2002, 09:28 PM
From ESPN Power Alley:

30 Cubs 14-27
It's about time they infuse Mark Prior onto this wretched excuse of a team. Can he play left field when he doesn't pitch?

Hah, I love it when they rip the Cubs.

Unfortunately, they rated the Sox at 13th, ahead of the Twins who were 14th, but behind such teams with lower records like the Braves, Cardinals and Astros, which is completely ridiculous.

KruseControl04
05-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Yeah.... I hate those Cubs good I do.

rmusacch
05-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
From ESPN Power Alley:

Hah, I love it when they rip the Cubs.

Unfortunately, they rated the Sox at 13th, ahead of the Twins who were 14th, but behind such teams with lower records like the Braves, Cardinals and Astros, which is completely ridiculous.

It is not really that ridiculous. The Sox have been playing like **** lately until tonight. I know for one the Cards have been playing really well lately.

Tragg
05-21-2002, 11:01 PM
But Gammons et al are sucking up to Mark prior - "who does he remind you of, Peter? Clemons, Freddie Garcia, Martinez, Schilling? Who, Peter"

"Well, I think he's like Clemons"....

And then on and on about that great staff, especially if Flash Gordon gets healthy....

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
But Gammons et al are sucking up to Mark prior - "who does he remind you of, Peter? Clemons, Freddie Garcia, Martinez, Schilling? Who, Peter"

"Well, I think he's like Clemons"....

Criticize his assessment all you want, but I think it's more accurately described as "analyzing" than "sucking up." Something tells me that if he were comparing, say, Brian West to Clemens, you wouldn't call it sucking up.

Tragg
05-21-2002, 11:44 PM
You're right, it's not sucking up. Comparing a pitcher who has never thrown a pitch to the greatest pitcher of this generation is insanity.

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
You're right, it's not sucking up. Comparing a pitcher who has never thrown a pitch to the greatest pitcher of this generation is insanity.

I never said it was a logical assessment, just that it wasn't sucking up ... and while I agree with your point, I disagree that Clemens is the greatest of this generation. IMO, he's behind Maddux, Pedro and Randy.

Tragg
05-22-2002, 12:10 AM
I don't know what it is, but the fanfare for a minor leaguer is pretty incredible.

I think Clemmons' career is better than Maddux, Johnson or Martinez, although he is probably better than only Maddux right now. (Maddux was a beneficiary of extremely generous NL strike zones - an extra 6 inches to the outside corner; Glavine was even a bigger beneficiary). Johnson lost too many big games, until recently. Martinez gets hurt, but he, at his best, might be better. But to each his own.

RKMeibalane
05-22-2002, 08:34 AM
I'm glad ESPN has decided to tell the truth about the Chicago Cubs, the worst team in Major League Baseball. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Cubs fans say, "We're rolling now," after their team wins ONE game. One. That alone tells me all I need to know about Cubs fans. They have been reduced to nothing more than a large group of whinning idiots who just can't seen to comprehend that their team is awful. Now, I have nothing against rooting for a bad team in the hopes that the team in question will one day improve, but this is ridiculous. Perhaps nothing irritates me more than when Cubs fans have the audacity to say that the Sox suck. Okay, maybe they do, but there's absolutely now way in hell they're as bad as the Cubs. I think everyone here would agree that if the Sox had a pitching staff as experience as the Cubs have, they would have the best team in baseball, without question. The offense is already there. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Garland, Wright, etc, but think about it. If the current Sox staff had as much experience as Wood, Lieber, etc, no one would be able to beat the Sox.