PDA

View Full Version : USA Roster

The Thomenator
12-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Barring any invitations being sent yet, how would you like the United States team to shape up this upcoming March, assuming all invitations accept?

Here's my 2 cents:

C: Joe Mauer (huge upgrade over Brian Schnieder or whomever they had last year)
1B: Mark Tiexiera (Boras would **** his pants)
2B: Dustin Pedroia (Utley's hurt, ends any argument)
SS: Jimmy Rollins (lead off man)
3B: Evan Longoria (antithesis to A-Rod)
LF: Carlos Quentin (only reason to not want him here would be to rest for the Sox which is understandable)
CF: Torii Hunter (defense)
RF: Nick Markakis (LH stick to add to Mauer)
DH:Matt Holliday (I'd take Q's defense over his)

SP: Jake Peavy (my own personal preference)

This lineup would look something like this: Rollins, Pedroia, Tiexiera, Quentin, Holliday, Markakis, Longoria, Mauer, Hunter. S/R/S/R/R/L/R/L/R

JermaineDye05
12-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Barring any invitations being sent yet, how would you like the United States team to shape up this upcoming March, assuming all invitations accept?

Here's my 2 cents:

C: Joe Mauer (huge upgrade over Brian Schnieder or whomever they had last year)
1B: Mark Tiexiera (Boras would **** his pants)
2B: Dustin Pedroia (Utley's hurt, ends any argument)
SS: Jimmy Rollins (lead off man)
3B: Evan Longoria (antithesis to A-Rod)
LF: Carlos Quentin (only reason to not want him here would be to rest for the Sox which is understandable)
CF: Torii Hunter (defense)
RF: Nick Markakis (LH stick to add to Mauer)
DH:Matt Holliday (I'd take Q's defense over his)

SP: Jake Peavy (my own personal preference)

This lineup would look something like this: Rollins, Pedroia, Tiexiera, Quentin, Holliday, Markakis, Longoria, Mauer, Hunter. S/R/S/R/R/L/R/L/R

**** Hunter in Center. Josh Hamilton

The Thomenator
12-10-2008, 06:53 PM
**** Hunter in Center. Josh Hamilton

Good call. When I was thinking from team to team, I quickly went over Texas. He'd go after Quentin in my proposed lineup and shift everyone else down a spot.

DumpJerry
12-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd just stick Aaron Rowand in all nine positions and give Derek Lee (the only Cub who can hit outside the regular season) the DH.

That should take the title and avoid any injuries to White Sox players.

kittle42
12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd load the team with AL Central players who don't play in Chicago and let them get worn out before the season starts.

This whole WBC is a colossal waste of time.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd load the team with AL Central players who don't play in Chicago and let them get worn out before the season starts.

Good call, Grady Sizemore over Nick Markakis too. Throw Hamilton in Right.

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
C: Joe Mauer Back Up Mccann
1B: Mark Tiexiera Back Up Youklis
2B: Dustin Pedroia back up Kinsler (if healthy if not Mike Young)
SS: Rollins back up Young or Jeter
3B: David Wright Back Up Longoria
LF: Carlos Quentin
CF: Josh Hamilton
RF: Nick Markakis
Back up OF Sizemore-Ryan Braun-Mcclouth
DH: Matt Holliday

SP: Halladay-Webb-Lincecum-Cliff Lee-Peavy
Bobby Jenks and Paplebon in the bullpen

JermaineDye05
12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
SS: Jose Reyes Back Up Rollings (reyes I assume is American)

I wouldn't mind going with the hot hand and putting Lidge in the bullpen.

btrain929
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Two words: Matt...........Damon

http://www.chromewaves.net/images/interface/20070807mattDamon.jpg

DSpivack
12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
SS: Jose Reyes Back Up Rollings (reyes I assume is American)

Reyes is Dominican.

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Reyes is Dominican.

ty will edit

thomas35forever
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I watched the Blackout game today and Harold Reynolds said that Joe Nathan should be the U.S. closer in the WBC. I'd have to agree with him there. While Papelbon and Lidge are great, I think Nathan is the most consistent of the bunch.

btrain929
12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
My 2009 Opening Day Lineup

CF - Owens
2B - Getz
LF - Quentin
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
SS - Ramirez
C - Pierzynski
3B - Fields
RF - Anderson

Last updated December 10.

Off-topic, but, Quentin in LF, Owens in CF, and Anderson in RF??? :o:
Don't you think it'd make more sense to have Owens in LF, Anderson in CF, and Quentin in RF? Hopefully we won't have both Anderson and Owens in the starting lineup period, but if we did, no way you put Anderson in a corner.

champagne030
12-10-2008, 08:26 PM
SS: Rollins back up Young or Jeter

I don't want Quentin or Jenks anywhere near this farce.

NLaloosh
12-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Brilliantly written!

thomas35forever
12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't you think it'd make more sense to have Owens in LF, Anderson in CF, and Quentin in RF? Hopefully we won't have both Anderson and Owens in the starting lineup period, but if we did, no way you put Anderson in a corner.
Well, that's just my lineup as of right now. It'll change according to the offseason moves we make. I'll probably continue this until we know the lineup itself.

EndemicSox
12-11-2008, 06:58 AM
I think the WBC is the best thing to happen to baseball in a long, long time. I don't get the hate.

whitesox901
12-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Agreed

oeo
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, that's just my lineup as of right now. It'll change according to the offseason moves we make. I'll probably continue this until we know the lineup itself.

Did Dye vanish into thin air?

CashMan
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I think the WBC is the best thing to happen to baseball in a long, long time. I don't get the hate.

Wait until a big name gets hurt. I think Luis Ayala(sp?) relief pitcher for the Nationals had to have Tommy John surgery, because he blew out his arm pitching in it.

Juice16
12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Wait until a big name gets hurt. I think Luis Ayala(sp?) relief pitcher for the Nationals had to have Tommy John surgery, because he blew out his arm pitching in it.

How do you know he wouldn't have blown his arm out in spring training?

soxfan2504
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM

And chances when that happens (and it certainly will), it'll probably be one of those injuries that would've happened in spring training or the regular season anyways. To me, this is far from a legit reason to hate on the WBC.

I'm sure big names in other sports (such as soccer) get hurt in international competition, does that mean that players' respective club teams should insist that their players pull out of it?

thomas35forever
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Did Dye vanish into thin air?
I'm expecting him to get traded.

khan
12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm sure big names in other sports (such as soccer) get hurt in international competition, does that mean that players' respective club teams should insist that their players pull out of it?
The difference is that in Soccer, there is an international governing board that oversees all of this. During most major international competitions, there is an effort by the clubs to give the players some time off for R&R, and to avoid overusage injuries. Players are also required to be made available to play for their national teams by their clubs. But MOST leagues [outside the US] take time off before, during, and after major international competitions.

Unfortunately, many stars have been injured. Many top-flight soccer players are caught between club vs. country commitments. As a result, some high-profile players have chosen to retire from international play in their late 20s/early 30s, and to focus on their club instead [READ: Their job].

In baseball, none of this is in place. There IS a documented pattern of players performing more poorly after a WBC. And there have been documented injuries. There is no effort on the part of MLB or any other league to take time off before/during/after the WBC. [i.e. MLB to shorten their regular season or delay the start of spring training, etc...] There is no effort to avoid overusage injuries.

For my part, I don't give a **** about stupid, jingoistic international competition in baseball. I want every White Sox player to be healthy, rested, and ready to play for MY team, not waste their time and potentially shorten their career playing for someone else. I want every cub, yankee, and every other AL Central team to have plenty of players play in and get injured in the WBC. I don't give a rip about ANY national team, because the whole thing is poorly-organized, with no central governance or oversight.

The only good thing about the WBC is that it allows for the FO to do their scouting of future cuban defectors for us to sign.

CashMan
12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
How do you know he wouldn't have blown his arm out in spring training?

I think teams would rather it happen on their terms rather in an exhibition game. Anyway, there is a difference pitching real pitches at 100% then working and getting in a groove and pitching at less then 100% in ST.

I want Mags back
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
no ****

because it's just pointless. Baseball is a sport that I don't care whether my country is better than others, and I think many others feel the same. Baseball doesn't have the rich tradition of international competition the way that soccer does, and it doesn't need to. It's also a huge injury risk.

oeo
12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm expecting him to get traded.

Doesn't that go against your, 'at this time' roster?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2008, 04:01 AM
This maybe 2 day old news but I haven't read it yet: Josh Hamilton took himself out of consideration for the WBC as he wants to get ready for the Rangers regular season.

John Lackey has thrown his name in the mix for team USA.

And to those saying the WBC is a waste of time, why? I actually like seeing baseball in March and not just Spring Training games.

kittle42
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
This maybe 2 day old news but I haven't read it yet: Josh Hamilton took himself out of consideration for the WBC as he wants to get ready for the Rangers regular season.

John Lackey has thrown his name in the mix for team USA.

And to those saying the WBC is a waste of time, why? I actually like seeing baseball in March and not just Spring Training games.

Why? These mean just as much as spring training games, except that I don't even care about the performance of the players playing the games at all.

whitem0nkey
12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
is there something on the net that looked at all the players that played in the last WBC. and showed if they had below avg or above avg seasons regular seasons.

the injury talk is a bit silly since its guess work on our part. just cause some one got hurt in the WBC does not mean that same player would get hurt in spring training and visa versa. a fair argument could be made that the WBC can save you from an injury. for example when tody hall got hurt in spring tranning, if he were in the WBC that play would not have happend and he would not be hurt.