PDA

View Full Version : Why is nobody interested in Uribe?

thedudeabides
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Adam Everett signed with the Tigers and Cesar Izturis signed with the O's. Yet, I haven't heard a single word about Uribe. He's as good with the glove as those two and is much more valuable with the bat. He also showed a lot of versatility in the infield. I'm just curious why I haven't heard a single team that has interest in Juan? Maybe there is, and I just missed it.

btrain929
12-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know, agent of Juan Uribe, but we'll definitely keep our ears open for ya! :D:

My only guess is he's demanding like a 3 year deal and teams are laughing at it. That or he doesn't have a very good agent.

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Uribe is better than Everett and Izturis. He's also far more durable, even with the weight issues. If I were the Giants, I would've taken Uribe at a third of the price that they gave Renteria. They may have been able to offer CC a decent contract with some of that money.

cws05champ
12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Because teams are insisting on a no Cheeseburger clause....Juan is refusing to sign.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Because Juan is bad.

johnnyg83
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I'd rather have Juan than Adam Everett ... how that guy keeps getting work with a single-A bat is beyond me. I know his glove is good and they have some bashers ahead of him ... but a .601 OPS? Mercy.

hi im skot
12-10-2008, 01:18 PM
It's early. Uribe will end up as a utility player with someone before spring training starts.

GAsoxfan
12-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Adam Everett signed with the Tigers and Cesar Izturis signed with the O's. Yet, I haven't heard a single word about Uribe. He's as good with the glove as those two and is much more valuable with the bat. He also showed a lot of versatility in the infield. I'm just curious why I haven't heard a single team that has interest in Juan? Maybe there is, and I just missed it.

The only thing Juan has over those two offensively is power and the ability to strike out (which are probably related). He's definitely not "much more valuable" with the bat.

Plus, Izturis signed a 2 yr/$6M deal and Everett signed a 1 yr/$1M deal with incentives. Uribe made $4.5M last year, so I would think he's looking for a bigger deal than what those two received. Personally, I don't think he'll get it, but you never know.

champagne030
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Adam Everett signed with the Tigers and Cesar Izturis signed with the O's.

Well, I'd imagine Uribe is looking for more than a 1 year $1M like Everett signed. Hell, for 1/$1M I'd trade Fields for anything I could get and start Uribe at 3rd.

CubKilla
12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Becuase when Juan is given a job, he's a dog. When every game he plays may be his last, he steps up his level of play.

Not many teams want to deal with or have a spot open for that type of player.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Becuase when Juan is given a job, he's a dog. When every game he plays may be his last, he steps up his level of play.

Not many teams want to deal with or have a spot open for that type of player.

"How quickly you forgot 2005, unreal."

FedEx227
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Because Juan is bad.

Thank you. The White Sox and their fans love to think their utility players are real awesome, but the fact is they aren't. Joe Crede is of no value to anybody across the league ditto for Uribe.

Konerko05
12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I would take Uribe over Everett or Izturis.

thedudeabides
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM

This was basically the point I was trying to make. Those two are useless at the plate and are about the same defensively. Even if Juan was asking for too much money, or too many years, you figure you would have at least heard of teams being interested with the the amount of teams looking for a cheap replacement at SS.

DumpJerry
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
1. It's only December 10th today.
2. Just because you have not heard anything, it does not follow that there has not been interest shown. Uribe is not one of the sexy FA's this year like CC or Texiera, so there is not much MEDIA attention on him.

CashMan
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, I'd imagine Uribe is looking for more than a 1 year $1M like Everett signed. Hell, for 1/$1M I'd trade Fields for anything I could get and start Uribe at 3rd.

If you were the GM, and you did this, I would do everything in my power to have you committed to a mental institution!

btrain929
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
1. It's only December 10th today.
2. Just because you have not heard anything, it does not follow that there has not been interest shown. Uribe is not one of the sexy FA's this year like CC or Texiera, so there is not much MEDIA attention on him.

Very true. I hadn't heard anything about Izturis or Everett until a day or two before they signed....

It's Dankerific
12-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Collusion, pure and simple

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Collusion, pure and simple

:rolling:

Like Mudhoney, I had to laugh!

Madscout
12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
If you were the GM, and you did this, I would do everything in my power to have you committed to a mental institution!
Why? Fields is not going to be anything special, and with our pitchers, we need infield defense, which Fields lacks.

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Why? Fields is not going to be anything special, and with our pitchers, we need infield defense, which Fields lacks.

Where did you purchase a crystal ball?

You can't keep trotting Uribe out there as a starter. He cancels out his defensive value with his terrible offense. That defense is only reliable when his playing time is cut.

Sure, he'll go through a couple hot streaks of two weeks. That's it. We can afford to lose him.

Fields hit with good power in 373 abs. If he can cut down the strikeouts and walk more/make gap contact, he'll put up MVP numbers. He's in Miami working with Guillen and Cora on fielding, and will come into camp with healthy legs. Give him a shot before you bury him. If he does poorly, then he'll have nobody to blame.

khan
12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
You can't keep trotting Uribe out there as a starter. He cancels out his defensive value with his terrible offense. That defense is only reliable when his playing time is cut.
Agreed.

Fields hit with good power in 373 abs.
WOO HOO!

If he can cut down the strikeouts
This hasn't happened in his career. There is a LONG history of him striking out more than Adam Dunn, without an equivalent of Dunn's power in the minors.

and walk more/make gap contact,
Again, this hasn't happened. If he was going to develop strikezone recognition, it would have already happened. But it hasn't, unfortunately. Gap contact suggests at a hitter who is willing to shorten his stroke a bit, so as to make contact at times. Looking at the mountains of Ks racked up by Fields vs. never-will-make-the-bigs pitchers, I see no evidence of this in his history.

he'll put up MVP numbers.
This WON'T happen. But I'd like to buy whatever you're smoking. Fields is more likely to be taking your order at Taco Bell in a few years than he is to be in the bigs, let alone put up MVP numbers.

He's in Miami working with Guillen and Cora on fielding, and will come into camp with healthy legs. Give him a shot before you bury him. If he does poorly, then he'll have nobody to blame.
He's had a shot. He could've had the 3B job if he did ANYTHING last Spring Training. But he didn't. He didn't put in the work last offseason. He can't catch a cold. He can't keep himself from striking out EVERY 3 AB. He can only swing AS HARD AS HE CAN, hoping to hit one out.

Fields sucks. The only reason he's in the organization is because of his football background. He's YET ANOTHER a ex-football player who can't play dead in the organization, just like Borchard, Owens, Erstad, and Rogowski before him. Fields represents everything that was wrong with the White Sox organization:

Ex-football player-stiff.
Some power, but not a lot.
Can't catch a cold.
Can't get on base to save his life.
Can't run.

As bad as he is, I'd rather see Betemit at 3B, and Fields gone to somewhere else. Maybe to the Independent League.

Tragg
12-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Money? He made, what, $4mill maybe $5 last year?

SoxNation05
12-10-2008, 05:50 PM
It's because everybody reads WSI forums.

RKMeibalane
12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Why is nobody interested in Uribe?

He sucks.

sox1970
12-10-2008, 06:23 PM

He sucks.

He sucks, but without him, the Sox don't make the playoffs this year. His defense was outstanding.

He'll get picked up in January when the top players start signing.

Lundind1
12-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Sounds like one Joe Crede for the first few years and the last few years.

DSpivack
12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds like one Joe Crede for the first few years and the last few years.

Joe Crede was a lot more heralded coming up than Fields was.

Daver
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Joe Crede was a lot more heralded coming up than Fields was.

Probably because he could actually field his position and won a couple MVP awards in the minors.

Lundind1
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Agreed.
He's had a shot. He could've had the 3B job if he did ANYTHING last Spring Training. But he didn't. He didn't put in the work last offseason. He can't catch a cold. He can't keep himself from striking out EVERY 3 AB. He can only swing AS HARD AS HE CAN, hoping to hit one out.

Fields sucks. The only reason he's in the organization is because of his football background. He's YET ANOTHER a ex-football player who can't play dead in the organization, just like Borchard, Owens, Erstad, and Rogowski before him. Fields represents everything that was wrong with the White Sox organization:

Wow, that strongly, huh?

Two things I see here I just wanted to add my 2 cents to.
#1 In 2007 Fields had a .958 fielding percentage, as opposed to oh I don't know, .930 for Crede in almost the same amount of games. Crede's numbers are from 2008. Crede had a .938 percentage in his first "tryout year in 2002. Everyone wanted to hang him at that point too, I remember. Comments like "get him outa there" and "he sucks" are not backed up with years of experience. After he got some experience all I have heard is we need to keep him at all costs, even with a balky back.

#2 I distinctly remember Erstad having a bunch of great years with the Angels. He was only "bad" here because he was hurt most of the time. That is why he was under a 1 year contract and the Sox didn't pick up his option for this season. I also have a strong feeling that we have not heard the last of Darin, esp since he was perfect in the field last year.

btrain929
12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
He sucks, but without him, the Sox don't make the playoffs this year. His defense was outstanding.

He'll get picked up in January when the top players start signing.

Considering we won the division by 1 game and it took 163 games to do so, you can say that about anyone on the 25 man roster that had any type of significant playing time. So don't make it seem like he took the Sox and put them on his back...

Lundind1
12-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Considering we won the division by 1 game and it took 163 games to do so, you can say that about anyone on the 25 man roster that had any type of significant playing time. So don't make it seem like he took the Sox and put them on his back...

I am just tired as most are of the station to station, homerun or nothing. If you wanted to think that Uribe made a difference, we will see this upcoming year without the free swingin windmill.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I am just tired as most are of the station to station, homerun or nothing. If you wanted to think that Uribe made a difference, we will see this upcoming year without the free swingin windmill.

Instead, we'll have free swinging Josh Fields, lol.

Not gonna miss Uribe.

GAsoxfan
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM

I'd take him over Everett, but not Izturis. The only thing Uribe does better is hit for power. Over the last three years, Izturis has a higher BA, higher OBP, significantly fewer strikeouts, and more stolen bases.

champagne030
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Instead, we'll have free swinging Josh Fields, lol.

Not gonna miss Uribe.

We'll have the ultra free swinging, no fielding Josh Fields. :shrug:

I'll miss Uribe if our third base options for 2009 are a Betemit/Fields combo. That will be the worst defensive 3rd base tandem in baseball.

A. Cavatica
12-11-2008, 12:22 AM

Have you seen Uribe play?

Konerko05
12-11-2008, 01:27 AM
I'd take him over Everett, but not Izturis. The only thing Uribe does better is hit for power. Over the last three years, Izturis has a higher BA, higher OBP, significantly fewer strikeouts, and more stolen bases.

I'll take Uribe's difference of .92 SLG % over Izturis' difference of .04 OBP.

At least Uribe can get hot once in a while and have a minor impact on offense. Izturis can barely get the ball out of the infield. He basically has to get lucky and find holes.

They are both pretty bad, but Izturis is a little too weak for my liking.

GAsoxfan
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I'll take Uribe's difference of .92 SLG % over Izturis' difference of .04 OBP.

At least Uribe can get hot once in a while and have a minor impact on offense. Izturis can barely get the ball out of the infield. He basically has to get lucky and find holes.

They are both pretty bad, but Izturis is a little too weak for my liking.

I guess that's just a difference of opinion. Uribe strikes out WAY too often for my liking. The man has struck out in almost 20% of his ABs over the last three years. I might even be able to live with that if he did a lot of positive things in the other 80%, but when your OBP is only a decent BA (.278), you've got to go.

khan
12-11-2008, 11:37 AM
#1 In 2007 Fields had a .958 fielding percentage, as opposed to oh I don't know, .930 for Crede in almost the same amount of games. Crede's numbers are from 2008. Crede had a .938 percentage in his first "tryout year in 2002. Everyone wanted to hang him at that point too, I remember. Comments like "get him outa there" and "he sucks" are not backed up with years of experience. After he got some experience all I have heard is we need to keep him at all costs, even with a balky back.
Yes, I recall that as well. But the difference was that Crede came back to Chicago to work on his fielding, and his swing as well in the offseasons following '02, '03, and '04. The results of this additional work yielded the player we enjoyed on the field, until his health failed him.

At the same time, Crede had more success in the minors than Fields has had hereto fore, both offensively and defensively. [If you look at the numbers between Fields and Crede, the differences are STAGGERING in their respective minor league careers.] Despite this, Crede put in the additional work to get better. He sought the coaching, the practice, and the training to improve. He didn't wait for someone to tell him to do extra work to get better.

Until THIS offseason, I had not read ANYTHING about Fields putting in any extra work in the offseason to get better. I had not read anything about him seeking the extra coaching, the practice and the training to get better. Which, to me, is ONE reason why I have little-to-no faith in his ability to improve. Another reason are his middling minor league numbers, which suggest a far lesser talent in Fields, when compared to Crede. I HOPE that Fields proves me and many others wrong in '09. But I maintain my doubts.

#2 I distinctly remember Erstad having a bunch of great years with the Angels.
And you would be wrong. Erstad was drafted #1 overall, which has benefitted him throughout his career, in that many tend to overrate his talent. Erstad DID have one nice year. In 2000.

Bucky F. Dent
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Price is probably too high for what he offers to a roster.