PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ankiel

The Thomenator
12-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't like to be the one to continue the "Player X?" thread trend, but something intrigued me as I was reading Ken Rosenthal's blog at http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8916168/Tuesday-MLB-winter-meetings-blog

Near the bottom, titled "1:56AM- Braves, Cardinals in Talks," it mentions that the Braves are interested in Rick Ankiel, but the Braves halted talks when lefty reliever, Mike Gonzalez's name was brought up in return by the Cards.

I would be open to trading Thornton for this CFer. It mentions that he will hit free agency after next year, but I can't imagine him to break any bank when that time hits. It would solve our CF need and not cost much with the emergence of Richard and Poreda into our bullpen.

If we end up moving Dye, he could also fill in at RF, with Anderson at CF possibly as well.

soltrain21
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't like to be the one to continue the "Player X?" thread trend, but something intrigued me as I was reading Ken Rosenthal's blog at http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8916168/Tuesday-MLB-winter-meetings-blog

Near the bottom, titled "1:56AM- Braves, Cardinals in Talks," it mentions that the Braves are interested in Rick Ankiel, but the Braves halted talks when lefty reliever, Mike Gonzalez's name was brought up in return by the Cards.

I would be open to trading Thornton for this CFer. It mentions that he will hit free agency after next year, but I can't imagine him to break any bank when that time hits. It would solve our CF need and not cost much with the emergence of Richard and Poreda into our bullpen.

If we end up moving Dye, he could also fill in at RF, with Anderson at CF possibly as well.

It doesn't solve our CF problem because the CF looks to have to be a lead off hitter, which is something he is not. We'd be better off just sticking Anderson out there and keeping Thronton since you know...he is good.

getonbckthr
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM

I believe Ankiel is a Boras guy not to mention good LH relievers aren't easy to come by.

The Thomenator
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
It doesn't solve our CF problem because the CF looks to have to be a lead off hitter, which is something he is not. We'd be better off just sticking Anderson out there and keeping Thronton since you know...he is good.

I definitely agree, the CF spot needs to come hand in hand with the lead off position, but what options are out there? If we "stick with Anderson" the question still remains who would lead off? If Kenny is all about the load up on draft picks idea, it could bode well if we could land him for a year and let Boras get top dollar once he hits free agency.

I anticipate Richard or Poreda being a good reliever to fill the hole that would be created by Thornton.

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
...?

The Thomenator
12-09-2008, 08:44 PM
...?

Letting Ankiel walk after a year would net a draft pick, I'd imagine he get Type A or B status as a FA.

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Letting Ankiel walk after a year would net a draft pick, I'd imagine he get Type A or B status as a FA.

I am more upset with how you presented the thread than the player you named. One of the following ... ? ??? ...? are required

I would not be open to trading Thornton for Ankiel.

tm1119
12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I definitely agree, the CF spot needs to come hand in hand with the lead off position, but what options are out there? If we "stick with Anderson" the question still remains who would lead off? If Kenny is all about the load up on draft picks idea, it could bode well if we could land him for a year and let Boras get top dollar once he hits free agency.

I anticipate Richard or Poreda being a good reliever to fill the hole that would be created by Thornton.

I highly doubt Ankiel will be a Type A free agent after next year. His #'s were pretty average. And trading Thornton for a 1 year rental that isnt all that great to begin with is a pretty bad idea. Not to mention if the Cards are gonna trade Ankiel its probably not gonna be for a RP.

The Thomenator
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I am more upset with how you presented the thread than the player you named.

As you can see by my thread count, I do not post as much as most people around here, but I like to see what's being discussed. How can I better present a thread in the future? I'm a little confused here. It's not different that how others propose a certain player for an addition to the team.

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
As you can see by my thread count, I do not post as much as most people around here, but I like to see what's being discussed. How can I better present a thread in the future? I'm a little confused here. It's not different that how others propose a certain player for an addition to the team.

Haha you don't have to change anything I was just giving you ****, I like to poke fun at player name ? threads.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd rather hold on to a dominant lefty reliever who is under contract for 3 more years than a CF who will be a FA after '09 with Boras as his agent.

The more days that go by, the closer we are to seeing JO in CF as our leadoff guy. It's not very popular, and may not be the best move, but they were very high on him and that was going to be his role going into '08 until he got hurt.

tm1119
12-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd rather hold on to a dominant lefty reliever who is under contract for 3 more years than a CF who will be a FA after '09 with Boras as his agent.

The more days that go by, the closer we are to seeing JO in CF as our leadoff guy. It's not very popular, and may not be the best move, but they were very high on him and that was going to be his role going into '08 until he got hurt.

Man if that is true we better upgrade over our current 2B AND 3B options. Fields may hit some HR's but he'll be lucky to hit .250 and I like Getz and everything but hes got .280 with 5hrs and 40RBI's written all over him. Throw in AJ and thats 4 very soft hitters in the lineup. Man this offseason is weird. Hope Kenny has some cards hiden up his sleve.

champagne030
12-09-2008, 09:17 PM

You and I would stick Anderson out there. Will Ozzie?

I am more upset with how you presented the thread than the player you named. One of the following ... ? ??? ...? are required

I would not be open to trading Thornton for Ankiel.

I would. See below.

The more days that go by, the closer we are to seeing JO in CF as our leadoff guy.

Exactly the reason to get an upgrade over JO. And we already have Thornton's replacement in Poreda.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
and I like Getz and everything but hes got .280 with 5hrs and 40RBI's written all over him.

That's not very far off from what we got from Cabrera last year. If Getz can give us those numbers as a rookie in the #2 or #8 hole along with an OBP around .330-.345, I'd be very happy.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Exactly the reason to get an upgrade over JO. And we already have Thornton's replacement in Poreda.

I'd love to upgrade over JO, but I don't think a FA-to-be batting .264/.337 with 100K's moving to the AL fits that bill, especially if it includes giving up one of, if not the most consistent reliever out of our pen last year.

tm1119
12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
That's not very far off from what we got from Cabrera last year. If Getz can give us those numbers as a rookie in the #2 or #8 hole along with an OBP around .330-.345, I'd be very happy.

Yeah me too, but thats gotta be the low point of out O, aside from maybe AJ. We cant have 2 other bats in the lineup that are relatively unproductive as well. Especially when right now we have 2 rookie SP's slotted too. Kenny definetly has his work cut out for him.

champagne030
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think a FA-to-be batting .264/.337 with 100K's

Josh Fields would kill for those numbers and Ankiel actually brings something to the table defensively.

Thornton comes pretty cheap for 2010-2011, but we've already got our in house replacement for less.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Thornton comes pretty cheap for 2010-2011, but we've already got our in house replacement for less.

To assume Poreda can step in and perform at the levels of Thornton is just flat out not smart. If he struggles, our bulllpen would consist of Jenks, Dotel and his HR's, Linebrink and his health, and abunch of unprovens in Russell, Poreda, Richard, Wassermann, Link. Yay.

If you were to do something like that, why wouldn't you target someone like Dejesus who is acutally under contract for 3 more years and is way more proven offensively than Ankiel.

There's no way you can convince me that Ankiel is worth Thornton. But if you do have such a boner for him, why not just wait 1 more year and go after him when he's a FA?